PDA

View Full Version : Need help finding rebuild kit

Luminatorz34
12-05-2006, 11:00 AM
i recently acquired a 1990 6 bolt 4g63 turbo motor for my talon. i started tearing the motor down doing an inspection for damage. and pulled the oilpan off, to find ice in the bottom end. so, to prevent motor problems all over again, i would like to find a rebuild kit for the motor. but the thing is, im finding kits from 400-1k dollars. which is just insane in my book.there are alot of dsmers on here, and wondering if someone knows about a good cheap rebuild kit. thanks in advance. steve

krustindumm
12-05-2006, 12:40 PM
from advance auto:
gasket set-$125
Rod bearings-$17
main bearings $33
piston rings-$74

TbTalon94
12-05-2006, 01:52 PM
try http://www.importperformanceparts.net

or find the ebay seller PartsDinasour.

Those guys both have complete kits, OEM and performance at GREAT prices.

Luminatorz34
12-06-2006, 07:24 AM
wow, i honestly didnt know that about advanced auto stuff. is their stuff reliable? i mean it still is a autoparts store stuff. sometimes u get good stuff and sometimes you dont.

trevor, thanks for that site. those are really good prices. alot more reasnable than the stuff i've been finding

Sean485
12-07-2006, 05:24 PM
Get the oil pan gasket from advanced auto (OEM is just rtv and the gasket makes it seal better) but the rest of the gaskets should be oem, the gasket set is less than 200 from jnztuning and the OEM HG will hold up to about anything you can throw at it. Parts store HG's and intake gaskets very commonly blow out.

Make sure you replace the t-belt and its tensioner as well as the b-shaft belt (or better yet get an eliminator kit) while your in there.

TbTalon94
12-07-2006, 07:32 PM
Do not use a cork oil-pan gasket. Idk if you get those from advanced or a place like that don't use them. They suck and the oil will eat them away.

That importperformanceparts.net has an entire kit that comes with all oem gaskets, bearings, rings, seals, belts, water pump, oil pump, and even pistons if you want. It's all TOPline parts, and they are very good parts. I beleive SlowBoyRacing sells topline things and they have said the oil pumps have supplied 750+whp motors with no problems.

Sean is right about the parts stores HG's...usually Felpro or something of that sort. They aren't very good, and the OEM mitsu HG with ARP studs will hold LOTS of pressure.

T-belt tensioner is important :bigthumb: They can be kinda expensive but it's worth it. I've had one go out one time and it definatly sucks balls. Even if it doesn't slip teeth and destroy your valves....which would obviously suck more.

belittle
12-07-2006, 08:35 PM
Steve, don't fuck around and just order the stuff from Jnz. You don't have much money into the car and you want to do everything right the first time. The quality of the top line gaskets compared to Mitsubishi are like night and day. Trust me, I've been there.

Give Eric a call up and get an order going. Nice people, great prices, and it's what the engineers at Mitsubishi originally designed for their cars. I don't ever think twice about ordering topline/felpro or anything especially anything from Slowboy, just go with Jnz.

Also, the oil pan gasket comes in the topline like kits that you get from Slowboy/Orielly's/advanced auto.

TbTalon94
12-08-2006, 08:00 AM
He's right ^^ on the gasket thing. Mitsu gaskets are a lot better and seam to always fit perfectly (imagine that), and everything is included. It's a little more in cost, but it's worth it.

I generally don't order from SBR because they are kinda slow, don't have very good customer support, and usually are priced way high compared to other venders.

belittle
12-08-2006, 12:22 PM
I generally don't order from SBR because they are kinda slow, don't have very good customer support, and usually are priced way high compared to other venders.

I ordered there once and they sent the totally wrong rod bearings. Were out of a civic or something. Last time I'd ever spend money with them.

Luminatorz34
12-09-2006, 07:09 PM
thanks for all the info and feedback on this. i disassembled the motor, and found no problems with it at all. i honestly think this is a very low mileae motor on top of that. but who knows right? there was discoloration on some of the bearings and such, but i wiped them right up to a nice clean surface again. luckily all the ice was IN the oil pan and not in the block. there was some ice on the pistons, but when i pulled them out to clean and inspect, the ice chunks fell off, and a good wire wheel job and their spotless again. i will do a hone on the cylinders to get a good cross hatch again, but other than that, this thing is going back together as is, and then getting a new head gasket, and oil pan gasket. and she should be ready to go. i will be doing the bs elimination. the kid that bought y laser is chewing bs belts left and right, and i dont want that. the motor is sitting on a engine stand right now, so ill spend the 20 bucks and get them suckers outta there. no worries then. thanks again for all the info. dont be afraid of letting more useful information come out. as i want to be a sponge to the dsm ad not have laser v.2 all over again. thanks steve

TbTalon94
12-11-2006, 11:43 AM
If you haven't yet, might want to read up on eliminating the Balance Shafts. It's not just taking them out, installing the plug and your home free. You will have serious oil pressure problems if you don't do it right :bigthumb:

Luminatorz34
12-11-2006, 01:15 PM
yeah i found that out about the 6bolt i got from turbometroy. it was a decent motor. but i has the balance shafts pulled. and while it was running it had around 15psi of oil pressure. i thought it was my gauge. till i added an aftermarketgauge and it was still at 15. thatin turn shattered the pistons. so yeah. but it didnt help the situation, that the motor had n/t pistons in it. but oh well that mistake is gone. i just am scared to death about my laser problems happening all over again. i love the feeing of boost, and got addicted to it again, but dont want all the work to it, to find out itll blow up 100 miles down the road. so im asking every possible question that comes to mind this time. i want this car to last a loooong time. as it is one hell of a nice looking car still. it needs a few things worked out. but more importantly worked on, and got running again

TbTalon94
12-11-2006, 01:50 PM
Well since this is my old car, and I was the first to own it in its N/A form. Bone stock...i feel obligated to answer any questions you've got. Just drop me a line and i'll try to help you out along the way. :yawinkle:

-Trevor

Sean485
12-11-2006, 02:29 PM
thanks for all the info and feedback on this. i disassembled the motor, and found no problems with it at all. i honestly think this is a very low mileae motor on top of that. but who knows right? there was discoloration on some of the bearings and such, but i wiped them right up to a nice clean surface again. luckily all the ice was IN the oil pan and not in the block. there was some ice on the pistons, but when i pulled them out to clean and inspect, the ice chunks fell off, and a good wire wheel job and their spotless again. i will do a hone on the cylinders to get a good cross hatch again, but other than that, this thing is going back together as is, and then getting a new head gasket, and oil pan gasket. and she should be ready to go. i will be doing the bs elimination. the kid that bought y laser is chewing bs belts left and right, and i dont want that. the motor is sitting on a engine stand right now, so ill spend the 20 bucks and get them suckers outta there. no worries then. thanks again for all the info. dont be afraid of letting more useful information come out. as i want to be a sponge to the dsm ad not have laser v.2 all over again. thanks steve
Putting in new bearings and rings right?

Drifte
12-11-2006, 02:32 PM
i'll help ya out too. did the b/s removal back in the day. not hard, just get instructions, i think i learned how on vfaq...but what havnt i learned their.

i used topline gaskets, ended up changing the intake mani gasket and headgasket out in no time. rings were great, actaully had trouble with hastings rings later on.

Luminatorz34
12-12-2006, 07:14 AM
Thank you for offering your help guys. it means alot. cuz honestly, i cant figure everything out on my own. haha. but yeah, it means alot to me to see that i have people willing and able to help me out. ill keep ya guys posted steve