PDA

View Full Version : MPAA wants home theater regulations

biohazard
11-29-2006, 04:39 PM
WTF

MPAA Lobbying for Home Theater Regulations
By Scott Small

Los Angeles , CA - The MPAA is lobbying congress to push through a new bill that would make unauthorized home theaters illegal. The group feels that all theaters should be sanctioned, whether they be commercial settings or at home.

MPAA head Dan Glickman says this needs to be regulated before things start getting too far out of control, "We didn't act early enough with the online sharing of our copyrighted content. This time we're not making the same mistake. We have a right to know what's showing in a theater."

The bill would require that any hardware manufactured in the future contain technology that tells the MPAA directly of what is being shown and specific details on the audience. The data would be gathered using various motion sensors and biometric technology.

The MPAA defines a home theater as any home with a television larger than 29" with stereo sound and at least two comfortable chairs, couch, or futon. Anyone with a home theater would need to pay a $50 registration fee with the MPAA or face fines up to $500,000 per movie shown.

"Just because you buy a DVD to watch at home doesn't give you the right to invite friends over to watch it too. That's a violation of copyright and denies us the revenue that would be generated from DVD sales to your friends," said Glickman. "Ideally we expect each viewer to have their own copy of the DVD, but we realize that isn't always feasible. The registration fee is a fair compromise.

The bill also stipulates that any existing home theaters be retrofitted with the technology or else the owner is responsible for directly informing the MPAA and receiving approval before each viewing.

Source (http://www.bbspot.com/News/2006/11/home-th...egulations.html)

Drifte
11-29-2006, 05:29 PM
LOLOL well shit ive been in trouble for years than.

DustinsDuster
11-29-2006, 05:48 PM
i cant see this coming to any kind of fruition at all...

SaNdMaNsSi
11-29-2006, 05:50 PM
Ahhahaha...F that! They can suck me sideways. I guess thats the same thing I say everytime I copy one of the 9 million DVDs I have.....

DustinsDuster
11-29-2006, 05:56 PM
Ahhahaha...F that! They can suck me sideways. I guess thats the same thing I say everytime I copy one of the 9 million DVDs I have.....

yeah, and every time some nerdy kid puts together a Mix CD for some girl he likes, thats another $20 he has to pay. what a joke....

Ricky
11-29-2006, 07:27 PM
Fuck that how will they ever control that? and they can go fuck them selves. that will never happen

SaNdMaNsSi
11-29-2006, 07:51 PM
Even if they got it passed, no one would conform, especially me. If I don't pay for any of my music, video games, or movies now, do you think I'm going to "ask them permission" to have friends over to watch a movie. Sorry, I've already got parents. Don't need any more.

Stutz
11-29-2006, 09:10 PM
That is teh gayness

boxmakingman
11-29-2006, 09:31 PM
What the fuck happened to freedom.
(I love the irony of the censorship, which I think is total bullshit Zac)

So, now I want to shoot something.
And I want the end result to be fire or death to something.

JustinS
11-29-2006, 09:46 PM
It is a fake news website. So all the info posted is false and made up. (http://www.bbspot.com/Legal/about.html)

biohazard
11-29-2006, 10:19 PM
Well damn, I gotta look further into things now. Well the MPAA better not read it, we don't need them to get anymore ideas.

JustinS
11-29-2006, 10:43 PM
Don't worry man, I fell for it too when it was first posted on the cougar forums.

ZacFields
11-29-2006, 11:35 PM
What the f*ck happened to freedom.
(I love the irony of the censorship, which I think is total bull$hit Zac)

haha. Well what we have isn't sensorship. Keeps my google ads from shutting off from all your foul dirty ass mouths.

I gotta make some kinda money off you poor bastards :) Even if it's only like 25 cents a day.

Zac

Drifte
11-30-2006, 09:54 AM
yeah cuz fuck the shit damn fuck if you think fuck ass bitch fag and gay.

...word

Stro
11-30-2006, 09:56 AM
^ YEAH, HE SAID THAT!!!!!!!!!

Drifte
11-30-2006, 09:58 AM
_STROMODERATED_

the end

melhoneybee
11-30-2006, 10:21 AM
I was going to say if this was true holy shit! A 29 in TV is a home theatre gimmie a break.

boxmakingman
11-30-2006, 02:28 PM
real or fake doesn't change anything, I still want to shoot things.

Drifte
11-30-2006, 03:56 PM
who doesnt. i shot a rooster in the head the other day. head shot with 22= rooster backflips a lot.

SaNdMaNsSi
11-30-2006, 08:52 PM
Theres nothing like shooting pumpkins with a .308 assault rifle and watching them blow up that makes you wonder what would happen to a human head...

biohazard
11-30-2006, 09:15 PM
Haha, that reminds me of what I did last Friday. 7.62x51mm vs a couple of pumpkins and gourds. :)

SaNdMaNsSi
12-01-2006, 07:42 AM
I found that duct taping a few phone books together and shooting them with a .308 is very entertaining, although the die hard shooters on the range will probably be mad that there is paper shreds everywhere.

biohazard
12-01-2006, 09:17 AM
Haha, that sounds like fun. I need to go shooting again either when it warms up or just bundle up.

SaNdMaNsSi
12-01-2006, 11:19 AM
Or, just for fun, take an assault rifle and start firing it at the handgun range. People get really scared/pissed when that happens.