PDA

View Full Version : Stock C6 Z06 @ 10.80's on Drag Slicks

fbodyguy
11-15-2006, 05:17 PM
http://www.fquick.com/videos/viewvideo.php?id=514

Got kicked off the track, go figure....

Quoted from the owner;
On my first pass of the day, after an hour-long cool-down and change of rear tires to the BFGs, I ran a clean pass with the type of launch and 1-2 shift I’ve been looking for. Here are the splits:

60'........1.679 3650 launch rpm with a fast clutch release and fast throttle squeeze
330'......4.625
660'......7.046 102.61
1000'.....9.114
1320'...10.856 129.50

Density Altitude at the time of the pass was negative 850 feet on my TAG weather station. Air temperature was 51 degrees. Barometer was excellent and humidity was low.

Track surface temperature was 60 degrees, kissed sweetly by full sun.

Soon after returning to the pits, amid a mild celebration, I was visited by a track official on a motor-bike for a discussion of the safety equipment in my car. He noted it was apparent from the tower that my UnderArmor compression top wasn’t a fire-jacket. And his check inside the car found no roll-bar. He complimented the pass and I took the hint, agreeing to slow down. In keeping with that pledge, I made one more pass. After bogging the launch to comply with guidance, was then somehow unable to keep from driving the rest of the pass…well…fast. I picked up the slip, 11.03 129.22 1.80. And that was it for the day.

Special thanks to dgdoc, Steve, and Bill for their moral support and assistance crewing the car, today.

For the record, nothing has been changed on my car since delivery other than the driver’s experience. ECU/PCM is stock. Air filter is original. Nothing after-market at all.

I did dismount the stock rears and strap on three-year-old BFG 315.35.17 DRs, graciously lent to me by Dick Link. :thumb These tires are perfect for the C6Z in that they don’t overwhelm the finicky LS7 clutch. And, if properly heated, they can provide excellent traction. I also raised the stock front tires to 40 psi; above that the DIC starts nagging on start-up.

If anyone wishes to draw a distinction that “bone stock” must include “stock tires,” he/she may wish to revisit scores of threads I’ve started over the past six years describing adventures at the drag strip with bone-stock Z06s either on (1) stock tires or (2) drag radials. I’m always clear about the tires on the car any particular day, in the thread title.

On shift points, as alway, I tried to make each shift as close to the limiter as possible without kissing it. On this 10.85 pass my shift points were good, at 7000 except for the 2-3 which occurred at about 6700. So, was not a perfect pass.

As for powershifting, I eased the throttle on the 1-2 and 2-3 but did powershift the 3-4. My experience has shown that you can shift fast while still easing the throttle. Takes practice.

I’ve written frequently that it takes 30-50 passes for a driver to approach his lower limit in a new plaform. That 10.85 was my 52d pass in the car.

I have some video footage of uncertain quality (new guy on the camera) and some audio files of the exhaust on the pass, plus a spreadsheet with split/incremental analysis. I’ll work on these over the weekend and edit them into this post. I am posting the slip of this record pass, certified by an MIR tower official.

I close by offering my continued appreciation to the Corvette Team and extended family for the C6Z06, a truly amazing car and the new legend. And somehow I know, Zora is pleased.

Edit (061105): I've added a thumb of my normal spreadsheet analysis of the 10.85 pass at a negative DA against my 11.06 at a positive DA last week. It clearly shows the small contribution made by the better DA. But improved driving in the first 330' is the main factor that made the pass memorable.

Best to all,

Ranger

Drifte
11-15-2006, 06:23 PM
sure didnt sound very stock. but sure is fast

fbodyguy
11-15-2006, 06:43 PM
Watch the video at the bottom of the page, that is just with a cam change on a stock car and no ECM flashing done to it.
http://www.horsepowerengineering.com/
Stage III cam and 150 shot of NOS - 708 RWHP, 676 RWTQ

GM designed the Exhaust to go wide open via a baffle at 3K RPM.
Also at a base price of 67K, it's the cheapest sports car to beat the exotics and the viper, Motor Trend's best ET was 11.7 with major traction issues stated in the issue when the testing was done

69gt4speed
11-15-2006, 10:56 PM
and the viper, Motor Trend's best ET was 11.7 with major traction issues stated in the issue when the testing was done....

Yea those jokers couldn't drive squat, I drove faster than those fools by far. 12.6's at 114ish at cedar falls 2yrs ago w exhaust. Like that vette owner said it takes 30 to 50 passes to get it down somewhat. I figure motor trend is like me jumping into your camaro, wtf is this, so I really put no stock into it 1/4 mi wise. They really don't do a 40 45 to 125 130 to get a basic idea what the power is on stock tires esp for fwd. The new z06 vette can be fast no doubt, we need it along with a viper, srt's, fords etc. even the imports. It forces all to offer up a car with performance. In the u.s. the vette and stang been around longer continuous than any others hopefully the camaro will come back..

DustinsDuster
11-22-2006, 03:10 PM
pretty mean cars right off the showroom floor...

neat car, but id still rather have a new Challenger

StreetSweeper
11-22-2006, 03:28 PM
You can tell he is a vett owner! listen to him talk.

ZZ4_Camaro
11-22-2006, 04:32 PM
Nice. Ok all you import guys can chime in now and name all the other rice burners that do 10s stock. :supz:

fbodyguy
11-22-2006, 05:55 PM
You can tell he is a vett owner! listen to him talk.

Kinda sounds like a Rockwell Employee :)

69gt4speed
11-23-2006, 02:21 AM
Nice. Ok all you import guys can chime in now and name all the other rice burners that do 10s stock. :supz:

oh,oh now u done it..... flamesuit on..... Hmmm according to various harley davidson types, rice burners are any import motorcycle from Japan....

So any 1000 cc or bigger 4 cyl honda, suzuki, yamaha, kawasaki cbrrr, yzf, zx, gsx.... shouldn't have a problem going 10's with a good driver. Yea I know you meant car... But don't think they couldn't do it just no market for it. The current, note u didn't name price is a bugatti veyron damn german co. A S7 is right around there also turbocharged a damn ford design. Also there is a Koenigsegg CCX, ford mod engine with rotrex s/c. The SSC Ultimate Aero, there's a car with gm power and tt... get that one... 1 yr warranty too, not bad for over 1k hp.

SSC Aero (http://www.sscautos.com/specifications.asp)

slow ride
11-23-2006, 08:19 AM
I wish we had tracks like the east coast ones over here. Those guys get DA's under sea level all the time. Most of the fast times for cars come from the PA area during the fall.

While the guy "Ranger" may be kind of a squid I'd listen to him before some retard kids being all "gansta" and "hard". At least you can understand what he is saying and he isn't trying to be something that he's not.

snickerlicker
11-23-2006, 09:55 AM
Amen

69gt4speed
11-23-2006, 05:16 PM
[quote="slow ride";p="115408"]I wish we had tracks like the east coast ones over here. Those guys get DA's under sea level all the time. Most of the fast times for cars come from the PA area during the fall.

A guy at work gave me a new longacre density gauge a week or so ago... So far I've seen 1 100%, we had a hp system plus it was cold out. Tonight it is 96%... I'll keep it in the trunk so someone can ask what's the density... Nice guy for giving me a 100 dollar gauge, he got out of snowmobiling so didn't need it.

fbodyguy
12-24-2006, 05:49 PM

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/686/CIMG0757.jpg

amoander
12-25-2006, 03:43 PM
sweet pic, good idea via chevy

fbodyguy
12-26-2006, 06:06 PM
yeah lets see them stick a 427 in the new camaro :) I'd buy one

ZEE
12-26-2006, 08:09 PM
Just buy the crate motor and put in yours. It's only 13 grand.

fbodyguy
12-26-2006, 08:56 PM
Should have done that in the first place, huh :)

69gt4speed
12-26-2006, 11:34 PM
So you think a new camaro would run faster than the 400hp gto on m/t dr? Reason I say this is the brazin 06 went 12.8's he said on m/ts (same as I have) with him powershifting. You know how car co. are bigger is better in all ways, heavier with some mo hp. Oh yea he's having issues with the clutch now, it's slipping but he does get 27 mpg so he says. :supz: yea, crate mtr but first put on a nx kit w 175 jets, then you might have a good excuse to buy it. Go wot till the bottle frosts up. :bigthumb:

^^^^
The above post may be moronic or ludicrous.... :biggrin:

DustinsDuster
12-27-2006, 10:30 AM

and, like i told Travis, you get a warrenty with the new motor. its like having a brand new car!

Accord4sale
12-27-2006, 01:25 PM
[quote="fbodyguy";p="114609":48b4c]

http://www.digitalcorvettes.com/corvette-photos/data/686/CIMG0757.jpg[/quote:48b4c]

There's a VW that has an exhaust set up similar to the one of the z06. It's the MKIV R32, a 3.2l VR6 mated to an amazing AWD system. Anyways, when your WOT the computer will allow the exhaust to completely open giving it a nice grumble. It's something like that, I'd have to read up on it a little more. Sorry if thats off-topic, just reminded me of the R.

fbodyguy
12-27-2006, 05:27 PM
Didn't know VW was doing it, but then I don't look at anything but domestics.... :) Interesting to know though, not to worry about verring from topic

69gt4speed
12-27-2006, 08:28 PM

I gave you a idea of how to do that. Now as far as What here ya go... Your friends are the best.... :bigthumb:
http://www.karkraft.com/2007_54_sc_engine2.jpg

Scott
01-02-2007, 01:28 PM
he rob can you please tell me how much that engine is???

69gt4speed
01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Karkraft.com is the place where I saw it at. 14.5k
Link
new engine (http://www.karkraft.com/new_engines.htm)

z28z34man
05-04-2007, 10:14 AM
doesn't the zr1 have baffles in the intake that will open under wot unless the valet mode is on.

yep it is

QUESTION: What is that keyhole below the radio for?

ANS: This key is known as the "power key" or "valet" key as it's referred to sometimes. In the off position the ZR-1 only puts out about 1/2 the hp by disabling the second set of fuel injectors, valves and what could be described as your secondaries from coming on. A sort of safety feature that GM felt was necessary when you have drivers who are unfamiliar with driving automobiles with that much HP.

EvoNiner
08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
what about an ariel atom 2?

But wait, then there's a Saleen S7 Twin Turbo... well crap, i beleive thats what, the fastest stock domestic, might very well be faster then a bugatti? dont know if they have proof yet...

haha, i love import vs domestic convo's. Long live my Evo! lol

Domestic Disturbance
08-20-2007, 03:55 AM
haha, i love import vs domestic convo's. Long live my Evo! lol
some1 4got wat area they were in. haha treadin on thin water in the "general domestic" house

EvoNiner
08-20-2007, 02:57 PM
I have a Ford Festiva if that counts? piss on my evo.. long live my festiva? haha.

slobalt
08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
Gotta like the vetts, though I wouldn't mind the new Camaro. I can't afford either one but its nice to what if...........

I like f-bodys avatar

Domestic Disturbance
08-20-2007, 09:48 PM
haha festiva power. i was just giving u a hard time ill shut up now