PDA

View Full Version : Turbo?

RWSBIRD
11-13-2006, 11:08 PM
My friend has a '92-'95 Civic DX 5-speed with the 1.6L SOHC (I think it's a D16A something like that) anyway we did some bolt on mods (air filter, exhaust) but he really wants to put a turbo on it. I was wondering what size turbo would work the best on a mostly stock engine. The budget doesn't allow for a kit so we'll probably have to find a turbo and fab the rest of the tubing. He plans on getting a header so that might help. I'm not a Honda expert so any help on the subject is much appreciated. Thanks.

Stro
11-14-2006, 07:06 AM
Im doing something along those lines this winter. Right now in my car is a stock d16y8, im going to be swaping in an A6 block that will be built for boost. But as far as a turbo, im getting a complete setup from a good friend of mine t3 (correct me if im wrong anybody) with a different compressor housing on it. As far as my research has got me either a t3/t4 turbo or a t25 off say a 1st gen dsm. And on a side note if you go t25 dsm turbo it won't be for show, they tend to look kind of ugly, but as performance goes there money.

Although I must caution you and your friend about keeping stock internals, i'll post pics soon on my setup and you can take a look, but stock pistons are pencils compared to built rods. In my opinion (you don't have to take my word for it) with stock internals I wouldn't run over 7 or 8 psi. Im building my block to hold 20psi and run 10 to 12 MAYBE.

If you have anymore questions i'd be glad to help out a fellow D blocker. lol.

Ricky
11-14-2006, 10:50 AM
stro is right, do not go over 9psi MAX i had a friend that ran 9psi for a while and the rod cumbled and broke into so many peices.

TbTalon94
11-14-2006, 12:24 PM
that rod did look like a pencil. I thought it was from a motorcycle at first!

Drifte
11-14-2006, 01:05 PM
which civic are we talkin. i have some prime examples of over boosted hondas and detonation and lean conditions...you name it i should have an example hanging on the wall of shame at my house.

Ricky
11-14-2006, 02:51 PM
I was talking about derek but dustin is also a good exsample

RWSBIRD
11-14-2006, 10:26 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like some new rods and probably pistons will be needed if he wants to run 10 psi. This car is all go so it is okay if it doesn't look the greatest (right now it has no interior) as long as it is quick. Is there any other concerns for the 1.6? It's a daily driver for now so all options are being considered.

Stro
11-15-2006, 05:54 AM
There probably are, but I can't think of any right now. Keep checking back here in the Honda section, i'l keep putting up some new information.

Stutz
11-15-2006, 04:54 PM
Thanks guys. Sounds like some new rods and probably pistons will be needed if he wants to run 10 psi. This car is all go so it is okay if it doesn't look the greatest (right now it has no interior) as long as it is quick. Is there any other concerns for the 1.6? It's a daily driver for now so all options are being considered.

Is this the "fast" civic that i wanted craig to race against? I want to see it sometime!

RWSBIRD
11-15-2006, 10:04 PM
Great, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about these cars so I can help him. Its all about making that car quicker and faster. Yeah tricky it's the same car. I was trying to get him to go to NE but he doesn't have a phone so that's not so easy. Btw I was gonna bring the Cutlass. Oh well back into hibernation for the winter.

Ricky
11-16-2006, 09:00 AM
well the only other thing would be just to make sure all teh seals are good before you turbo it or you will most likey have a problem sooner then you want. o and teh axles are about a strong as the pisons ;)

FiFdYnUtZ
11-16-2006, 06:39 PM
lmao..i thought this was a super fast car? like you said on dmstreet 1.6 sohc with a filter and exhaust? come on..

Stutz
11-16-2006, 06:44 PM
lmao..i thought this was a super fast car? like you said on dmstreet 1.6 sohc with a filter and exhaust? come on..

Dont be hating! Race him come spring time, i will get it on vid, hopefully by then i will have something worth racing too.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-16-2006, 08:54 PM
why would i want to race him? i'll tell you the outcome right now...

RWSBIRD
11-16-2006, 10:41 PM
[quote="FiFdYnUtZ";p="114724":9a651]

Dont be hating! Race him come spring time, i will get it on vid, hopefully by then i will have something worth racing too.
[/quote:9a651]

Don't hate the civic for what it is. Yeah I might have a little something myself.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-17-2006, 10:10 AM
im not hating on the civic, im hating on you talking it up to be faster then my girlfriends grand am!!

RWSBIRD
11-17-2006, 12:35 PM
I know nothing about this "grand am" you speak of. I do know my friend's civic is decently quick and we are putting our best effort into making it quicker and faster.

well the only other thing would be just to make sure all teh seals are good before you turbo it or you will most likey have a problem sooner then you want. o and teh axles are about a strong as the pisons ;)

Do you know of a good swap for the axles or is the aftermarket the only option? Either way makes sense to me, the stock axles have a lot of miles and have taken some abuse.

Drifte
11-17-2006, 01:08 PM
think your gonna have to go aftermarket, get on honda-tech.com and search. dont eve try to post, the forums move so fast it will just disapear.

Ricky
11-17-2006, 11:12 PM
or just take it easy and dont launch hard and u should be fine

FiFdYnUtZ
11-18-2006, 04:44 PM
lol what i was saying is if this is the "super quick civic" i'll just bring over my girlfriends stock grand am to race....haha

FiFdYnUtZ
11-18-2006, 04:47 PM
and high 16's arent "decently quick" for the record...every car parked at my house right now would hand a filter and fart cannon civic its non worthy ass...no offense...but something like that is nothing to be talking up..

Ricky
11-19-2006, 01:13 AM
o and a grand pre is? o wait your shit is superchared... still gay!

Drifte
11-19-2006, 10:33 AM
civic guys are typically purists, if not just ricers. I prefer a purist over a shittalker thats for sure.

Ricky
11-19-2006, 01:18 PM
^ agreed. i fell the same way. i dont care what they say as long as they dont "talk up" there car to make it seem all big and bad.

Stro
11-19-2006, 06:22 PM
Im getting pretty agitated here listening to someone who doesn't even own a honda, talk smack in a forum started because a FELLOW HONDA driver like myself, asked a reasonable question.

Please If not for me, for the desency of people doing research on their cars, Stop stirring up peoples tempers. Done.

Drifte
11-19-2006, 07:04 PM
haha stromoderated.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-19-2006, 08:51 PM
im not saying my car is fast...or talking it up...if you knew the whole story the other guy was talking this civic up to be something fast...altough in contrast my car is probably a full 2 or more seconds faster in the 1/4 to it

and as for my car being gay mr v dub...your little vr6 is not only f*cking slow but ugly as hell...so stfu....i never wanted to start any problems with anyone...i just find it funny that this dudes big secret fast car talked up on another site is a bolt on civic....

http://www.vr6.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ik ... ST&f=9&t=7 (http://www.vr6.org/cgi-bin/ikonboard/ikonboard.cgi?act=ST&f=9&t=7)

there you go blackvr6^^^^ i'll let you compare my cars 14.46 to that and let you still call my car gay you misinformed asshole..and again i dont think my car is FAST..but when you call it gay i take it personally..

Stutz
11-19-2006, 09:29 PM
He never talked it up, he just said it was "quick" If you want to stir up shit then go and start a thread in the challenge section for him but dont shit on a thread asking a valid tech question.

Ricky
11-19-2006, 10:01 PM
14.4 huh? you would probly beat me but not by much im to in the 14's but for you it takes no skill to drive you car becuase its and auto and lets face it girls can handle your little car just fine. im saying my car is fast but there is nothing that pisses any one of more when they are trying to gain infomation about somthing and people talk down on them. i dont really care what you think about my car cuz everyone has there cars they like and dislike. kinda said though that a 3.6l or 3.7l (i dont remember right now) supercharged car can only go 14.4. i have a N/A 2.8 and would stay right there with you.
you crack me up, hahahahaha and since when did stock vr6's run 16's? try low 15's stock

RWSBIRD
11-19-2006, 10:54 PM
Sorry guys look what I started. I wish I had some good pictures of the car but I haven't been around it for a while. If you can picture it, the car has pretty much no interior no sound deadener, no door panels, headliner, nothing that isn't needed. Everything except the seats and the dash has been removed, even the radio. The exhaust is not aftermarket, it is simply a straight pipe. I appreciate your info and I will try to get some pics this week. RW

SaNdMaNsSi
11-20-2006, 09:15 PM
I'll end it for the Honda guys. Pontiac Grand Am's are g@y. Sorry to say it, but its the truth. Lets face it- its slow, it has no resale value, its just plain g@y. The end. Don't post in the Honda forum unless you have one.

Ashley
11-20-2006, 09:20 PM
From this point forward, please do not post in this thread unless you have something useful to add to the thread. If it is shit-talking, it will get seperated from this topic and trashed. If it becomes personal, yellow cards will be issued.

Have fun. =)

Stro
11-21-2006, 09:50 AM
Thank you.

Ricky
11-21-2006, 10:44 AM
damn it mom cought us stro, now we have to be good. im just messing Ashley ill be nice

Ashley
11-21-2006, 10:54 AM
haha =) i just hate when people talk smack and they have no idea what they're talking about.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-21-2006, 02:36 PM
sandman, you are an idiot...i only used the grand am as a statement...im not trying to find races for one either...thad almost be as gay as half you 1st ave fart cannons picking up careless driving tickets faster then your car will register a 60ft....im done, sorry to anyone i offended or any problems i stirred up...i should have kept it in the other forum and i apologize for that...go on with the honda talk........

and ashley, was your last post referring to me?

SaNdMaNsSi
11-21-2006, 02:43 PM
I'm an idiot because everything I said was true? Also, sorry to break the news to you, I don't cruise first ave. Obviously with that statement you have no idea who I am, therefore you should keep your comments to yourself. Also, I've never had a single careless driving ticket nor a speeding ticket. Any other wonderfully intelligent remarks? You know nothing about me or my vehicles, so its in your best interest to just stay out of the Honda forum with your stupidity.

Drifte
11-21-2006, 03:09 PM
heyhey....i got a speeding ticket once.

if your honda goes as fast as my speeding ticket was for...your cool ;)

SaNdMaNsSi
11-21-2006, 03:11 PM
Didn't you know? No Honda is as fast as a Grand Prix!

FiFdYnUtZ
11-21-2006, 04:10 PM
wow dude..you have a SERIOUS reading comprehension problem...

ZacFields
11-21-2006, 04:39 PM
Here, the topic is in the trash so now it's not in the honda forum anymore :)

I don't mind arguing but lets not dictate who can post where. As long as the topic being discussed is about hondas it can go in the honda forum.

And no need to be apologizing for anything. Nothing wrong with a good argument.

Zac

SaNdMaNsSi
11-21-2006, 09:20 PM
I think calling it a "good argument" is pushing it a little. Lets just call this one an "argument." Giving it too much credit might give it a big head. And no, I have no "SERIOUS" problem with reading. I responded to everything you said exactly as you said it. But then again, I'm battling wits with a 16 year old.

Ricky
11-21-2006, 11:03 PM
wow i didnt even know he was 16. that makes it worse and makes me laugh at him even more.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-22-2006, 06:53 AM
wow thanks for your respect vr6...im glad that i now understand that had my age not been visible you would have had no idea..but now that you noticed it, im not worthwhile....

NickTsGTP
11-22-2006, 10:09 AM
FiFdYnUtZ is quite mature for his age, and probably has more wits than most people I've met.

And to be honest with you, I'm not intimidated by any Honda around here.

The remark about a "girl could handle these cars because they're automatic", sure a girl could drive it. But a girl that could understand how these engines function, and know how to drive it down the 1/4 mile without spinning the tires through the whole 60 ft........find a girl like that and I'm going to marry her.

These cars are in the 14's stock due to the pcm, and a shitty designed exhaust. There's a U-Bend right after the downpipe that turns a 2.25" exhaust into less than a 2.0" exhaust, causing a nasty occlusion, which in turn hinders performance.

Put on a CAI, and a 3" downpipe on the exhaust, replacing the U-Bend and your into the 13's, depending on the driver. Getting to low 13's is a hard accomplishment that not many GTP's have around here. Takes alot of knowledge, and a lot of money.

What would you have to do to a Civic to make it run low 13's?

anyways [/thread hijack]

continue on with your honda topic.

SaNdMaNsSi
11-22-2006, 07:17 PM
Well its good you aren't intimidated by any Honda around here, because I'm not intimidated by any Grand Prix. I don't get why people always bring up money as an argument. If you want to go there, it takes much more money to make a Honda fast than a GTP....That wasn't a very good argument. What does it take to put a Honda in the 13's? Turbo, built block and head, a little tuning on a stand alone, not much else.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-22-2006, 10:35 PM
look out nick...da sandman gots RAM AIR!! lmao

http://crunderground.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=102

SaNdMaNsSi
11-22-2006, 10:56 PM
Actually, no. If you knew anything about the car you'd know that I got rid of the ram air once I installed the turbo kit. Aww, are you upset I made fun of you for being 16? I actually feel dumber for having responded to you, so I'll just ignore your high school comments.

JustinS
11-22-2006, 11:48 PM
look out nick...da sandman gots RAM AIR!! lmao

http://crunderground.com/album_pic.php?pic_id=102
To put it bluntly, you are making yourself look like more of a retard with every ensuing post you make. So what if he has different tastes in what the exterior of a car should look like, it doesn't matter. What does matter is that he is not sitting here bashing you. YOU are bashing him for previously owning a Honda, while he defends himself. Please do us all a favor and quit it, it really is making you look bad. BTW, I know this is the trash and all but. . .ahh f- it, I give up.

*This is the part where you start bashing me for owning a girls car*

NickTsGTP
11-23-2006, 07:40 AM
I don't think a Cougar is a girl's car FWIW.

I wasn't arguing about what amount of money it takes to make any certain car get to 13's. I was just making an observation.

You only go as fast as your wallet will allow.

What all do you have done to your honda? Or do you still even have it, j99cougar says you previously owned one?

What amount of boost do you push through it?

SaNdMaNsSi
11-23-2006, 08:28 AM
Who were those two posts directed towards? Now I'm confused...

JustinS
11-23-2006, 09:08 AM
I was talking to fifdynuts, nick was talking to you about your turbo setup.

I don't think a Cougar is a girl's car FWIW.

I think that's the first time I have ever heard that. :biggrin:

FiFdYnUtZ
11-23-2006, 10:58 AM
i cant win...anyway i talk im still just gunna be a disrespected person because of my age....fuck it..

FiFdYnUtZ
11-23-2006, 11:00 AM
and actually cougar...he was bashing me...there would be no reason for me to be defensive otherwise...

NickTsGTP
11-23-2006, 11:03 AM
Who were those two posts directed towards? Now I'm confused...

I was asking about your turbo setup.

And j99cougar, if your car was pink, then it'd be a girls car. I usually don't think Grand Prix's are girls cars (any car for that matter), but that chick that has the pink flames on hers (Jen i think is her name) That is a real real real GIRLY car. I guess it's all in the eye of the beholder.

NickTsGTP
11-23-2006, 11:06 AM
Sandman's car has eyebrows!!! Holy shit that's cool!! (not being sarcastic)

SaNdMaNsSi
11-23-2006, 02:56 PM
Those pink flames are HIDEOUS. And yeah, the owner is "Jen." I keep hoping that car bursts into flames spontaneously, but no luck. I keep seeing it drive around. As for FiFdYnUtZ, I could care less about your age. But when you are talking like an idiot, it just helps to throw in your age to show the maturity level. You shouldn't have gone into a Honda forum if you didn't want to get bashed on. Simple as that. If you want to know anything about my setup, its better to PM me. I'm not about to post it all over a website, but I have no problem showing it to you or PMing you details if you want them.

NickTsGTP
11-23-2006, 03:18 PM
Jen's pretty cute.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-23-2006, 10:35 PM
how the hell was i talking like and idiot anyway? if you knew the whole story between me and the origional poster you might have just shut the hell up a long time ago...

Ricky
11-23-2006, 10:41 PM
Those pink flames are HIDEOUS. And yeah, the owner is "Jen." I keep hoping that car bursts into flames spontaneously, but no luck. I keep seeing it drive around. As for FiFdYnUtZ, I could care less about your age. But when you are talking like an idiot, it just helps to throw in your age to show the maturity level. You shouldn't have gone into a Honda forum if you didn't want to get bashed on. Simple as that. If you want to know anything about my setup, its better to PM me. I'm not about to post it all over a website, but I have no problem showing it to you or PMing you details if you want them.

now that doesnt make much sence. you are willing to pm the only person that cares what u are running but not post it for people who could care less? you know that soon as you tell him he will just post it... well thats what i would do. Just post the mods or dont say anything because soon as you open you mouth everone will know anyhow

SaNdMaNsSi
11-23-2006, 11:14 PM
I just assume that anyone that takes the time to ask would be as respectful not to go around telling everyone as I would be as respectful to them. Not to mention I don't really care all that much....The car has just been rotting in my garage the last 3 years, I dont even drive it anymore, so its not that big of a deal to me. As for Fifdy, no, I woudn't have "shut the hell up a long time ago." As I posted before-Don't talk shit in a Honda forum about Hondas if you don't want other people getting in on the convo. Maybe if YOU were intelligent YOU would shut the hell up so I wouldn't have to keep responding to you.

DragonUSMC
11-24-2006, 10:37 AM
wow i cant believe i missed this...

Whomever said

"your car can only go as fast as your wallet can afford." <- awesome...

and PS i've seen some pretty SICK pink cars... yeah they are pink and that is highly g@y.. but the G@yitude is not directly related to the a$$kickitude of said car. Well... not always anyway.

FiFdYnUtZ
11-25-2006, 08:42 AM
im not disrespecting hondas, honda owners, their potential, or anything, i was disrespecting the poster talking his car up to be this badass machine that turns out to be a stripped straight pipe 1.6....im sorry if you took that the wrong way but i was not talking shit about HONDAS in general..i apologize...

Ricky
11-25-2006, 10:14 AM
yeah, that pisses me off too. i hope he is really putting a turbo on it other wise i to will not like the car and laugh. FiFdYnUtZ i agree with you on the last thing you just said and i can see exsacly what you meen