PDA

View Full Version : Bolt-Ons, Cams and F/I... OH MY!

NewSpeedSteed
11-13-2006, 01:04 AM
I have had my car for almost a year now and its still bone stock- hell it still has the paper air filter from the dealership! To say the least I am getting tired of that.

I have been looking around at what other people with (4valve) Mustangs have done (everything from twin turbo setups, superchargers, cams, and big stroker setups) and I think there are just two many options out there.

I guess I am looking for ideas and input from other 'Stang guys (cough 69gt4speed and amoander cough).

I suppose I do not want to build anything too extreme; I have seen a 5.3 Stroker with a Procharger on it- as sweet as that is I believe that is more overkill than anything else.

By spring 07 / early summer, I am hoping to have full exhaust (MRT) full MAF System and maybe an 85mm TB (C&L Performance) Short Throw Shifter, Black Bullet style wheels and some sticky tire (BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW, Goodyear Eagle F1s or a set of DRs)

Summer/Fall Finish Installing full bolt-ons and maybe upgrade suspension to a drag pack.

Now I'm not sure if I would go all out and buy a blower for my car or not- I mean I like the mach partly because of its 4V N/A power; if I S/C it its just like a Cobra. I guess if I wanted a Cobra, I would have bought one.

I thought about nitrous and I do not think it is for me- I do not race really or go to the track often enough to justify spending money on a nitrous setup.

Therefore, I was thinking about some stage I or Stage II cams- not dead sure which company yet but I think that is how I want to go. In short, I hope to net 400 to the wheels. When I install the cams, I will be putting in better springs and valves too in order to keep everything safe and maximize my gains.

And I have looked into FR500 Heads and thier Intake- as nice as that looks I don't want to buy it if I don't have to- its ungodly overpriced- but probably worth it.

Well thanks for reading and leave any comments below.

black88gt
11-13-2006, 12:57 PM
cams on a 4 valve are really one of the worst bang for the buck options. its more of a sound mod usually. do you really not want to supercharge it? you could easily make 400 at the wheels with just a supercharger. ive got a friend w/ a mach 1 w/ an f1a and meth injection and he's way past 400. the only thing is you will need a good tune/less boost due to the higher compression of the mach compared to a cobra. i would say just go w/ the blower, it alone would put you over 400 w/o going into the motor. and its cheaper than getting cams + bolt ons to do it n/a.

69gt4speed
11-13-2006, 12:58 PM
I wouldn't waste time on the heads for sure, you have the improved head already.

Now is the time to sit down and think seriously a plan of sorts. Do you want to pull the motor or not? If you decide you do then I'd say get rods and pistons at that time. Those are your weakess links. Yea that's a complete teardown but if you wanted boost or something later you would be ready.

You say no to pulling motor? Then forget the cams it can be done if you are paying for it, but its a royal pita. So it will be priced according.

I would put on every bolt on, a xor, a catback, a cai, a reflasher. I forget if you are auto or man if auto some converter 3k stall. Then nitrous is still the best bang for the buck after you do that figure if you get traction about .75 sec for 100 125 nx jets so then all good tune gas that should get u in 11's not beating the crap out of it. Nitrous works on the street and you only use it when you need it. Yea its sorta a pain why some have 2 bottles. But the camaro guys have good results and Amoander does also, hard to argue with results. He does almost as well as my friends gt with a vortec and bolt ons. Or another guy I raced with a procharger gt.

All of them have bolt ons btw as its needed at any level of mods.

Fire Hawk
11-13-2006, 03:42 PM
The best thing you can probably do for your car would to be go F/I. I'm not sure how big the gains are from all the N/A bolt on's you can do but FI gives the best response for the 4.6 motors.

Exhaust is going to be probably the best thing you can do, LT headers, mid and catback. Go with Long tubes, better power gains. Don't do underdrive pullies if you think you might go F/I down the road.

amoander
11-13-2006, 11:53 PM
Sorry I haven't posted in a while, schools been kicking my ass. I agree with what everyone sais. It all depends on what you want. Just one point, you go with the nitrous, you will get that all needed torque that a vortech and procharger don't offer (esp with DOHC 4.6). Yes you can gear the piss out of the car, but you better have some good tires and possibly suspension. Bang for the buck and the availablity to choose to use it or not go nitrous, it's up to you. Those cars with the improved head respond very well to bolt ons. With cold air, and mid pipe back with tune, guys are layn down low 300 rwhp. I have some mag. articles to help ya out.