PDA

View Full Version : new here

black88gt
11-08-2006, 08:56 PM
hey, I'm Alex. I drive a black 88 mustang gt. I'm going to try and take some pics of her before it snows lol

Ashley
11-08-2006, 09:21 PM
hellooo. i'm ashley. welcome to the site, how'd you find it?

Stutz
11-08-2006, 09:34 PM
Welcome to the site.

DustinsDuster
11-09-2006, 12:01 AM
youre not Russian Alex, are you?

TbTalon94
11-09-2006, 07:13 AM
youre not Russian Alex, are you?

That's what I was thinking!

Welcome to the site Alex.

Ashley
11-09-2006, 07:30 AM
idk but im pretty sure my parents are neighbors with the russian alex, and im pretty sure he's not 18 like this persons age is... could be wrong though. either way, hooray for new members! =)

DragonUSMC
11-09-2006, 07:51 AM
YAY!

black88gt
11-09-2006, 09:53 AM
haha no im not russian alex. been a lurker for a while now haha. ;-)

Drifte
11-09-2006, 10:48 AM
whats up. lets see some pics

Sean485
11-10-2006, 06:58 PM
hey, I'm Alex. I drive a black 88 mustang gt. I'm going to try and take some pics of her before it snows lol

Too late lol

Welcome, get some pics up anyway.

69gt4speed
11-10-2006, 11:01 PM
As anyone will tell you, I like stangs so another is welcome...

melhoneybee
11-11-2006, 04:27 AM
welcome to the site.. nice to get some new blood around here

black88gt
11-12-2006, 10:43 PM
ya im trying to get the car running right now, its sitting in a parking lot up at school, 45 minutes from home. mighta figured it out though, i think i either stretched the timing chain or it jumped. i'l find out if im right some time this week

69gt4speed
11-13-2006, 04:02 AM
doubt it jumped or what have you, they should be all metal, not the nylon cam gears, at least that was factory gt.. How I used to test if it jumped was put a timing light on #1 and turn it over while looking at the timing marks. If it is around 8 to 14 deg btdc it has not jumped. That will tell you and if it doesn't flash you have other issues. Oh yea pull the spout connector out. that disconnects the computer for timing control to allow a person to set intial timing via turning the dist. I believe though at cranking speed the computer does nothing to the intial timing till it fires and runs.

black88gt
11-13-2006, 10:47 AM
the car doesnt idle so using a timing light isnt going to help. im going to go out, i grabbed a breaker bar and socket for the crank pulley this weekend. i know the rotor still spins, so its not broken. going to put the motor back to tdc, see if the rotor is off(jumped on the chain) and then if not, turn it back the other way and see how much slack is in it(use balancer as reference mark, normal i think is 6 degrees on the timing scale) before the rotor starts moving again. already tried lots of stuff, and its hard with it being up at school.

took it out for a drive, nice day. not beating on it(i think that was the problem, she likes being beat), and on the highway, slowly accelerating, 3500 rpms i pop the clutch, put it in 4th, let the clutch out. car loses all power and chugs bad. wont stay running unless i give it gas. coast into parking lot, no fluids are leaking, temp was good, FP was good, no fuses blown, etc. so i start it up and limp it back(1 minute drive) because its dark and i cant see shit. come out the next morning it wont start. within in the past month it has new plug wires, new fuel filter, new cap and rotor, new eec relay, new ignition module. its getting a good spark, and its getting plenty of fuel. the distributor gear is good and the distributor isnt bent at all and makes no sound when i took it out and spun the rotor. when i crank it, it sputters and backfires but doesnt start. ive been trying to track down a compression tester but havent had any luck.

69gt4speed
11-13-2006, 01:45 PM
Timing light should fire even cranking, I've timed a few engines that way. Now I am talking the normal clamp around timing light. The other way is to turn engine to tdc on timing marks, then check to make sure the rotor is aligned with #1 post on cap. I like to mark dist housing where #1 is that way I can see rotation and all that. Just with timing light it can check for spark and see exactly where spark is coming on.. Stock is like 10 deg I ran mine at 14 deg. I was screwing with that 88 crown vic, timing good, changed iac, computer, fuel pressure good, what it boiled down to was bad gas. It started, but didn't idle right, no power at all. a case of fuel dryer it smoked tires. Belle plaine ia casey gas is crap imho at least that batch was.

black88gt
11-13-2006, 02:52 PM
o ya forgot to mention im by myself and i dont have a remote starter button. i guess it works either way, this way i can see if its stretched too. how did you fix the bad gas? additive? did you have to empty out what was in it?

69gt4speed
11-13-2006, 05:04 PM
a case of gas dryer and some new gas.. As long as u can get someone to turn the key..

DustinsDuster
12-03-2006, 03:12 PM
your distributor is in the wrong end of the motor, thats probably the problem, hahahaha.

welcome to the board. i know its late, but better late than never, right?

BillBoardBlood36
12-04-2006, 03:54 PM
welcome to the board. i know its late, but better late than never, right?

Likewise..Welcome to the site, hope you get your car worked out and running for next year

Drifte
12-07-2006, 06:44 PM
i was gonna ask if it was outa gas...assume youve checked this tho.

black88gt
12-07-2006, 06:54 PM
nah i topped it off w/ gas just in case.

pretty sure i got it figured out, but its a lil cold to test it, so ive got a friend who's going to tow it home and il put her in the garage and see how it goes.