PDA

View Full Version : My Talon "in progress"

Sean485
10-12-2006, 03:08 PM
Figured everyone else here has posted pics of thier projects so I might as well.

Mods:
Mod list(copied from dsm registry):
Engine Modifications:
6 bolt 2.4l g4cs engine
B&M oil cooler
No balance shafts
SS swirl polished valves
Crower valve springs/Titanium retainers
Ported head
3rd revision lifters
Wiseco 8.8:1 pistons
Eagle rods
HKS 272 Cams I&E
Fidenza cam gears
ARP Head studs
ARP Mainstuds
Fully balanced

Turbo Modifications:
GM boost control solenoid controlled by ems
14b for now
Tial 44mm External wg
SS oil feed line and AN return line

Transmission Modifications:
ACT 2900 w/ street disk
Fidenza 8lb flywheel

Fuel System Modifications:
Sumped stock fuel tank
Aereomotive A-1000 pump
1000cc rc injectors
Aereomotive AFPR
-10 braided fuel line

Intake Modifications:
Extreme psi 28" X 10.5" X 3.62" FMIC
Speed density system w/ 3 bar gm map and gm ait
Soon magnus smim and 75mm tb

Exhaust Modifications:
Evo III Exhaust Manifold
currently building a 3.5" exhaust

Suspension Modifications:
Optima battery relocated to the trunk in a Moroso sealed battery box
KYB agx struts
Ground control coilovers
Polyurethane motor mounts
8pt mild steel roll cage

Electronics Modifications:
Autometer Phantom Series EGT Gauge w/ TRE probe
Autometer Phantom Series 30-0-30 psi Boost Gauge
Autometer Phantom 0-100 psi Oil Pressure Gauge
Keyless Entry/Alarm system
PLX wideband O2 sensor
AEM EMS system

Brake Modifications:
Removed ABS
93+ AWD twin-piston "Big-Brake" upgrade

Appearance Modifications:
5% Tint on Rear Windows, 50% up front
Clear corners
Tinted taillights
Black painted stock wheels

Audio System Modifications:
El-Cheapo JVC CD-Player

Wheel Upgrade and Modifications:
Stock wheels painted black

Tire Upgrade and Modifications:
Needs new tires badly Sad walmart mud and snows are not cutting it...

Other Modifications:
Removed spare tire/jack
Removed AC
Removed ABS
Silverstar high/low beams
Peak performance 5 point sfi approved racing harnesses

I'm still working on finding money for some decent tires, tial bov, a dnp manifold and the turbo setup.

http://sean485.home.mchsi.com/Pictures/Fullsize/DSC02058L.JPG

http://sean485.home.mchsi.com/Pictures/Fullsize/DSC02059L.JPG

The bumper droops a little I know, the IC was too large for the bumper support to even come close to fitting, I need to fabricate some brackets to help support the edges of the bumper :?

If you look real close you can see the oil cooler on the drivers side, its mounted at a steep angle but thats the only way it would fit (already had to trim out ALL the sheet metal in that area as well as remove the washer tank) and its got a fan so i'm sure it will cool plenty.

http://sean485.home.mchsi.com/Pictures/Fullsize/DSC02057L.JPG
Still working on making the wiring for the alternator/battery relocation track legal, hence the 4ga wires on the left.

The dump tube is not going to end right after the wg in case anyone was wondering, I just have to make that after I finish up on the exhaust so I know where to route it.

I relocated things like the defogger relay, injector resistor pack, power transistor ect inside the passenger compartment to help reduce clutter in the engine bay, It looks super clean when its all degreased and organized.

Obviously... A "work in progress"

rysbrnr
10-12-2006, 04:11 PM
pretty good parts list on there. Once everything gets dialed in with a bigger turbo, I'm sure it'll run pretty hard. Where are you from?

Sean485
10-12-2006, 04:27 PM
I live in the dubuque area.

logans dad
10-12-2006, 05:18 PM
Bring it to town, I think we have something for you to race, And by the way nice mods for a stock BOV and exhaust.

Sean485
10-12-2006, 05:29 PM
Lol, the exhaust isn't stock; I had 3" turbo-back when I had my old 20g setup on the stock longblock. Right now it just ends right after the turbo because my gf bought a 91 tsi and I gave her my old exhaust since i'm such a nice guy and was going to upgrade anyway :bigthumb:

It wont be until spring before I really start driving it on a regular basis again. I'll be sure to bring it into town though :supz:

Sean485
04-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Well, been a while but I've put about 5k miles on the engine with the 14b. I kept trying to save up money for the new turbo but stuff kept coming up (bought a new house :rolleyes: ) so I wasn't getting very far. 3 weeks ago though my GF rolled my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (was my daily driver/car trailer mule) and after all was said and done I wound up with a check for 2400 from the insurance company.

Which instead of buying a newer/more reliable car I of course spent it on my talon

Its a 4088r w/ .85 A/R divided T4 housing and yes I know it has coolant on it already... I spilt some coolant on it when I was pulling the radiator. I am building a custom tubular manifold, 3" dp to 3.5" from the firewall back and relocating the alternator to where the AC used to be.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3627&d=1175537015

Drifte
04-02-2007, 07:17 PM
like the mod list. get in their and detail the engine bay! 14b wit 2.4l...that oughta spool up stupid fast.

JustinS
04-02-2007, 08:42 PM
Well, been a while but I've put about 5k miles on the engine with the 14b. I kept trying to save up money for the new turbo but stuff kept coming up (bought a new house :rolleyes: ) so I wasn't getting very far. 3 weeks ago though my GF rolled my 94 Jeep Grand Cherokee (was my daily driver/car trailer mule) and after all was said and done I wound up with a check for 2400 from the insurance company.

Which instead of buying a newer/more reliable car I of course spent it on my talon

Its a 4088r w/ .85 A/R divided T4 housing and yes I know it has coolant on it already... I spilt some coolant on it when I was pulling the radiator. I am building a custom tubular manifold, 3" dp to 3.5" from the firewall back and relocating the alternator to where the AC used to be.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=3627&d=1175537015

Your image doesn't work, but I must say a gt40r is going to be nuts on that thing.

Sean485
04-03-2007, 06:52 AM
like the mod list. get in their and detail the engine bay! 14b wit 2.4l...that oughta spool up stupid fast.
The engine bay will be cleaned up again after I get it back together. I was still in the process of looming some of the new wiring in that picture. And the 14b with the 2.4 was about useless, more of a restriction than anything.

Try copy/paste the picture url, see if that works. I cant get the picture upload to work. I will get more pics up as the install progresses.

TbTalon94
04-03-2007, 08:54 AM
i'm interested to see how the gt40r will do with the 2.4L

the gt40s and gt42s are a very popular choice this year, but they are made for high-revving engines...and i'm sure you know the 2.4L can't rev very high. It should surely be fun around town.

Sean485
04-03-2007, 12:37 PM
i'm interested to see how the gt40r will do with the 2.4L

the gt40s and gt42s are a very popular choice this year, but they are made for high-revving engines...and i'm sure you know the 2.4L can't rev very high. It should surely be fun around town.

Yea, devinitly not as high strung as the 2.0 but it has been fully balanced and the shop that balanced it said they see no problem with 8500 rpms. I am going to set the rev limiter to 8k and leave myself with some safety room.

From my research on similar setups and the reduction in spool time other people have seen with BB turbo's and 2.4 swaps I am confident I will have full spool between 4500-4800 rpms. Which still gives me a fairly wide powerband and if it still doesn't spool fast enough I will just throw a small shot of nitrous at it.

TbTalon94
04-03-2007, 01:08 PM
well it's not about spool. It's efficiency. Those turbos are efficient at very high boost levels and flowing a lot of air. High rev's are needed to provide enough airflow. A 2.4L revin to 8,500 is a site to see. Most guys rev it to 7 and that's about it. 7,500 if they are confident.

I've also found that the BB turbo's don't really help THAT much on spool up, but more so in-between gears. The boost recovery is reduced significantly and sometimes seeming non-existant. Never-the-less the 40r and 2.4 should be great fun and put down some nice numbers when it's all said and done. Hope you got a beefed up drivetrain to handle that torque. :bigthumb:

Sean485
04-03-2007, 01:31 PM
The revs aren't necessarily needed to get the turbo onto a good spot on the compressor map if you have larger displacement though, obviously the turbo doesn't know or care what the rpms of the engine are. The 2.4 will make the same airflow as the 2.0 at a lower rpms so it will still put it at the same spot on the compressor map; just at a lower engine rpm.

I have also read the boost recovery between shifts is supposed to be alot more noticeable than the faster spool (so many things change spool time anyway) but I'm doing everything I can to keep the car as driveable as possible. The BB turbo's tend to hold up better to anti-lag systems as well.

Eventually the 2.0 will be able to outflow the 2.4 (and outpower it) but by that point the torque curve will have started to drop anyway unless you have some very serious cams and then its not much of a street car anymore which is my #1 goal with this car (whenever it was running, I have always driven this car everywhere rain, shine, snow or sleet). And the car should move plenty of air with all the other VE mods it has. Also the rod ratio thing is kind of a moot point on the 2.4, there are cars out there with worse ratios that rev harder. The "normal rod" 2.3 stroker being one that I have consistently being taken to over 8k and that has a worse ratio than the full 2.4 swap.

I haven't done anything to the tranny yet... lol I know people have had problems with ripping teeth off gears from the earlier torque but I guess I will cross that bridge when I come to it :Hangman:

Hopefully have it up at earlville the beginning of may to get some tuning done and yes, I am definitely excited to finally have some real power again and cant wait to get some numbers to shut up all the shit talkers at work who think my previous 12 second runs were timeslips I printed off the computer and my video's were of some elses car :roll:

TbTalon94
04-03-2007, 03:00 PM
Well I wish you the best of luck. If your ever in CR you should look me up sometime and we could swap stories or whatever. It looks like you've done your research and it should pay off in the end.

That tranny is going to be crying for mercy specially with anti-lag if your going to use it. I've found that BB turbos are awesome at building boost on the line just with a simple studder-box launch. I was able to build a little over 1bar or around ~16psi with my BB 50-trim with just a 5,500 launch limit. The lag between shifts was practically not-existent even compared to my 16g i have now. Needless to say I am in favor of a BB 50-trim over a god damn 16g any day.

Good luck with the set-up :bigthumb:

Sean485
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the props, its been a long time getting here but should be worth it when I get it all dialed in. I will make sure to make a few trips down to CR and see what its like down there, the scene up here is pretty pathetic.

There is a pot going around with people wagering how and what I will destroy in the transmission first... I am thinking I will either do something to the center diff or tear the teeth of 2nd gear. The car has over 200k miles and the only thing that was non-original on the car was the head from a t-belt incident and the trans has never given me any problems so even if it just explodes on my first pass it will have served its life well. I am planning on using anti-lag at the tree but not the NLTS, I tried that a few times before when I was running with a keydiver chip and I just couldn't force myself to hammer the shifter hard enough and it just ground. I want to install the taller 5th gear to get the revs down a little bit at cruise anyway so if (when :roll: ) I do something to the trans I will just do that at the same time.

Drifte
04-03-2007, 06:42 PM
i couldnt get my self to NLTS, its just weird. I know some guys have fun thrashing cars like that tho. id guess center diff, id didnt read your mod list to close tho, i assume 4 bolt rear too?

TbTalon94
04-03-2007, 07:17 PM
slip the clutch. NLTS isn't any worse on the drivetrain then 2-step. Just REALLY bad on the exhaust manifold, turbine housing, turbine wheel and bearings, etc.

Drifte
04-03-2007, 07:29 PM
speaking of fwd launches...

lol oh man. anyone know what im jokin about, like maybe Trevor.

TbTalon94
04-04-2007, 07:55 AM
you mean 3.5 60ft times? lol kinda hard to launch when your pressure plate is hitting rivets.

Sean485
04-04-2007, 03:29 PM
Bah, still got mileage on it... I bought a ranger and the clutch was gone. I mean, seriously, there were metal pads with the rivits in them but all the friction material was kitty hair in the bell housing. There was nothing left on the clutch disk at all lol.

I never felt the need to use the NLTS, too hard on stuff. I'd rather just make a little more power than break a shift fork or something every season.

Yes Drifte, the car came as a 6/4 car.

TbTalon94
04-04-2007, 03:51 PM
that's what you see guys doing now ^ making more power rather then launching the crap out of their car.

Just like in old times you saw people running 10's and 11's with 20g's but with relatively low trap speeds. They were driving the hell out of their cars. Nowadays you see people cracking into the 10's with 135+mph trap speeds. Cracking in the 11's with 120+mph. Then you got shep in the 7's with 190+mph traps.

Power has become a little easier to make with the new technology and parts. It seams like everyone and their mom has a gt42r now with a crazy head, crazy cams, and an aluminum rod motor. Back in the day that was crazy...now it's just the average run-of-the-mill "built" dsm.

Then you got people like Jake (evil_eagle on tuners) that was hitting 9's with a pt67 turbo, aem ems, and the average JE/Eagle combo. Drove it every day to work, which i think was over a 50mile round trip, and still ran low 10's/high 9's with it. He is of course now sporting a gt42 with the Shearer top-mount manifold. Crazy new technology i tell ya.

You see any of those new Turbonectics GT-K turbos? With the F-1 turbine wheel...nice shit but man is it pricey.

Sean485
04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
Then you got people like Jake (evil_eagle on tuners) that was hitting 9's with a pt67 turbo, aem ems, and the average JE/Eagle combo. Drove it every day to work, which i think was over a 50mile round trip, and still ran low 10's/high 9's with it. He is of course now sporting a gt42 with the Shearer top-mount manifold. Crazy new technology i tell ya.

That guy is a crazy good driver and tuner, I agree.

For me I just try to keep the car together (even if it means sacrificing a few tenths) and thus far I have never had a driveline related problem so it seems to be working.

Drifte
04-04-2007, 04:12 PM
i like the old school method with over built driveline. but i like to spend as little money as possible.