PDA

View Full Version : 2007 GT500: Worth The Wieght?

NewSpeedSteed
09-27-2006, 07:15 PM
I have been waiting patiently for almost a year now for the 07 GT500. I have seen the specs; 500hp in a S/C 5.4 tossed into a Mustang- I like it.
What has me less enthusiastic is the curb weight and the price; now I can understand the later seeing how this is the quickest Stang of all time and collectors will be driving the prices up but what is with the weight?

I remember that the early Fox-body Mustangs weighed allot less with the 5.0 V8 and were great in any contest of acceleration, handling and decent braking performance- which I believe is because of its impressive power to weight ratio. Now the new GT500 has almost twice the power but the weight has increased 1,000lbs over the years. Granted the S/C will overcome that extra mass easily but imagine what the car would be like if it was lighter?

Seeing how the new Corvette (not the Z06) weighs allot less has 100hp less and costs about the same outperforms this car (in recent magazine testing- granted mag testers times are usually slower than actual times. We have to remember that performance is not measured in 1/4 mile times alone and the extra mass of the Mustang hurts its handling and braking significantly.

Is this the fastest Mustang ever? Yes, but not by much- it could have been a second quicker and 10mph faster in the trap if Ford would have crammed that motor into the original LX.

I suppose that this is where the aftermarket will step in with 4.10 gears and smaller pulleys and easily create an 11 or high 10 second car.
The sad part is that Ford already made a car like this a few years ago: the 03-04 SVT Cobra. Sure the claimed 390hp- most dyno 410 or higher. And those ran mid to high 12s stock- the average 2007 GT500 time I've seen published is a 12.9. SVT Cobra owners will tell you that with basic bolt-ons it is common to see 11s, with high modified ones hitting 9 second quarter mile times. The great thing about those cars were that it handled good, braked well and accelerated like no tomorrow.

I guess I'm not as sure about this new car as I once was, after looking at the times I am depressed- my 2003 Mach 1 runs a 12.9 stock motor while running drag radials, and it only cost $29,000 brand new.

DustinsDuster
09-27-2006, 07:37 PM
there is a lot more into todays Mustang than yesteryears. im willing to bet most will agree that a new Mustang is a lot more COMFORTABLE ride than the earlier LX's. im willing to bet it gets better gas milage to boot. i would guess that the biggest weight gain being an increase in sound deadener, more comfortable seating and what not, as well as a slight swelling in actual size of the car.

for how well they perform, i would gladly take the added weight and comfort of the new car that will still outperform the older, lighter versions.

on a slightly less related note, have you pulled 12.9's in your car? are you positive that if you stripped a new GT500 down, that you would gain a full second and 10mph in the quarter? my point is, you seem to be thinking solely in rule of the thumbs, and not on expirience.

in the end, if a few tenths of a second are worth the comfort and drivability of your car, then go ahead and strip it down and deal with the noise and vibration. personally, if i spent over $20,000 on a used car, i would want every comfort without giving up decent performance i could get.

Fire Hawk
09-28-2006, 05:38 AM
http://www.sctflash.com/gt500.php

Enough said with the videos

93mazdarx7
09-29-2006, 05:17 PM
The dealers down here were selling the GT500s for $20k more than sticker. Personally I don't care for them at all. Plain looks, nothing to special. I'd buy a Vette instead.

Ninesecsnake
09-30-2006, 10:32 PM
http://www.sctflash.com/gt500.php

Enough said with the videos

:iagree:

It takes a little time to figure out what these motors want and need to stay alive, I will be buylng one some day.

69gt4speed
09-30-2006, 10:50 PM
Well, I might have to eat my words from a previous post...

A guy on svt performance ran a 11.89 at 120.93 with hoosier 28x10x16's and with a sct tune ran a 11.65 at 122.58. His words: Yup 11.89 on only new slicks & the axel-back which in my opinion didn't really help but I was no longer able to look at those ugly stock exhaust tips.I had the car dynoed (448hp) as I posted in the dyno numbers post last week but did not do any tunig.I used a basic SCT tune from there vantage 3.1 software.
A guy watching:
It was really nice to see you run that Shelby
Way the go, buddy

For those interested the link:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/sh ... p?t=324214 (http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=324214)