PDA

View Full Version : so i went to the strip today...

DustinsDuster
09-23-2006, 06:41 PM
yeah, like the title says, i went to the strip today. the plan was to run most of the day on 91 octane and tune it with the borrowed wideband O2 sensor i had, then switch to race gas and spray it.

it was spitting rain the whole way there, and didnt look much better by the time we got there. it stopped raining shortly after i got there, and i was able to get up early in the line, before i had the weideband on my car. i ended up pulling a 12.69 @ 106 with a 1.79 60' time.

i was pretty psyched on my first past, because thats already faster than ive ever officially ran before. unfortunatly, it started to rain after that. while sitting i put on the wideband on it. found i was running VERY rich at idle and part throttle, like 11.1 - 10.9 air/fuel ratio. i dropped the jetting from 70's to 68's, which brought my air/fuel up to the 14-15 range.

a couple more passes, and im slowing down little by little. 12.82, then 12.91. , but i did notice that my air-fuel was staying right in the 14.4 range, so i can now just concentrate on other things. it's warming up, and everyone seems to be falling off a bit, so i figure its just the weather, and decide to try changing my timing. i was running 35 degrees total advance, so i upped it to 37 degrees. my car DID NOT like this very well. i was rewarded for that decision with a 13.05.

at this point my friends convince me to just run the car on the bottle. we retarded my timing to 30 degrees, drained the 91 and switched to 110, and headed up to run. i was going to spray when i was in 3rd, and believe it or not, i managed to MISS 3rd. only for a second, and got it back into third. i accidentally went into neutral, and back into 3rd, and hit the button. i felt a little push, then a bog, then it felt normal, but i still made it through the traps at 5700rpm, which was higher than any other pass of the day. i get my slip to see i pulled 12.47 @ 109.9. we find out my fusable link blew. there was a 15 amp fuse, and the seliniods pull 18 amps collectively. we never noticed this because i would just tap the button, not hold it down for a few seconds.

the bad news about this, i dont have any 25 amp fuses, and its almost day end, so we replace the fuse with another 15, and i take a few more passes. the first time i got back out there, i was a moron and didnt arm the button, and pulled a 12.51, which would be my best official all motor pass. i pulled a few other 12.5/12.6 passes, and that would be the best i could pull, all because of a tiny little fuse. it wasnt a total wasted trip, im pretty psyched to have a solid mid 12 second car that can drive on 91 octane all day with no problems.

sorry for the ramble, i just had to tell someone, or a whole website i guess.

warchild145
09-23-2006, 07:04 PM
what you running under the hood if you dont mind me asking.

Figure your about as close to anything here my car may have so trying to get ideas.

DustinsDuster
09-23-2006, 07:30 PM
what you running under the hood if you dont mind me asking.

Figure your about as close to anything here my car may have so trying to get ideas.

solid lifter, aluminum headed, 10:1 compression 360 with a 727 and 3.91 sure-grip.

decent enough i guess for what it is

OldSkoolRCR
09-23-2006, 07:33 PM
Go job Dustan...very respectable.

allgo
09-23-2006, 08:30 PM
Dustin Rome wasnt built in one day, it takes time and LOTS of practice with spray. Good times on motor.I hear the 11's calling you real soon.

logans dad
09-23-2006, 08:37 PM
I knew when I saw you get on it in your car Last summer Dustin, that your car runs good. That thing lifted up and was gone. Way to go.

Rollin on Dubs
09-23-2006, 09:28 PM
Good job on the #s Dustin. I know you seemed frustrated after you last visit to the track.

What brand of wideband were you using?

slow ride
09-23-2006, 10:02 PM
Not bad results for the few times you make it out. Keep plugging away at it. What AFR were you running at full throttle? I'd think you want to be in the 13.0 range give or take a few on a N/A run. Idle and part throttle can be a bit leaner, but it's not so easy to set up on a carb compared to FI. How much nitrous were you spraying anyway?

TbTalon94
09-24-2006, 10:11 AM
Sounds like you had some good runs Dustin. It also sounds like me and you would be a pretty close race. We should do it up sometime before I sell/part out my car. Lemme know :)

DustinsDuster
09-24-2006, 12:39 PM
What brand of wideband were you using?

i was using Scotts LM-1 unit, i believe its a Bosch unit in therem isnt it?

What AFR were you running at full throttle? I'd think you want to be in the 13.0 range give or take a few on a N/A run. Idle and part throttle can be a bit leaner, but it's not so easy to set up on a carb compared to FI. How much nitrous were you spraying anyway?

at full throttle, i was sitting right at 14.4. i was told 14.7 is perfect, i dont think im gonna get any closer to perfect with a carburetor.

we'll see, im trying to organize another trip back to Earlville in October. funds are a little low right now. the good part is, all i need now is to sort out my nitrous problem, get some more race fuel and im set. we'll see if i cant dip into the 11's.

logans dad
09-24-2006, 03:10 PM
Dustin, I have about 3 gallons left from the stock car. Its leaded 110. come get it, You can have it.

slow ride
09-24-2006, 06:54 PM
Dustin, 14.7 it the stoichiometric ratio of gasoline as the point the air and fuel can burn in harmony so to speek. Most stock modern cars will run near this point from idle to part throttle cruising. You will see that when WOT is required you should be around 13.0 in a N/A car. Turbo cars will run much richer than this even (10.0-12.0) depending on the fuel used and performance of the setup.

I'd be worried running 14.4 at WOT in any car. It's just to lean. I'd do a run at this level, pull over and look at the plugs closely. I'd expect to see some detonation as long ignition timing is not backed off to far. I'd shoot for 12.5-13.0 at WOT if possible with changing jets.

allgo
09-24-2006, 07:44 PM
I like to run around 11.0s, never to safe. Lean is mean but I like my shit to stay running for awhile.14.s is way lean..

amoander
09-24-2006, 08:04 PM
allgo is right 14.0's is way to lean. Anything leaner that 12.5 is really playing with fire.

amoander
09-24-2006, 08:07 PM
Sorry, i was rude, but mid 12's is pretty damn good. Easy 11's with spray. Good luck.

DustinsDuster
09-24-2006, 08:19 PM
maybe i'll keep the wideband for a little longer, hahahahahaha. im thinking i should just up the secondary jets a bit, because if 14.7 is perfect for part throttle cruising, i should just need more fuel at WOT. does this sound right to you guys?

allgo
09-24-2006, 08:21 PM
14.7 is spouse to be at idle.I wouldnt worry about part throttle.

69gt4speed
09-24-2006, 08:33 PM
Sloride and allgo are on it... say you are on the juice and want to lean or richen it up for a test, too rich raise bottle pressure a bit w htr, lower bottle pressure if too lean.. One other thing make sure your fuel pump is hi flow, losing fuel pressure on juice is not a good thing.... 11's are in the bag, I calc around 11.4's 11.5's... everything good...

DustinsDuster
09-24-2006, 10:50 PM
Sloride and allgo are on it... say you are on the juice and want to lean or richen it up for a test, too rich raise bottle pressure a bit w htr, lower bottle pressure if too lean.. One other thing make sure your fuel pump is hi flow, losing fuel pressure on juice is not a good thing.... 11's are in the bag, I calc around 11.4's 11.5's... everything good...

i habe an Aeromotive A1000 fuel pump, 10an feed line to the regulator, two 8an feed lines to the carb, and an 8an return line. my fuel system should be pretty good to at least 800-900hp, especially in a carb'd car.

14.7 is spouse to be at idle.I wouldnt worry about part throttle.

so you do think i should keep the air/fuel ratio at 12:1 or so?

sorry, just a little confused with your response.

DustinsDuster
09-24-2006, 11:20 PM
another think ive been wondering about, am i going to get kicked off the track if i break into the 11's?

i dont have a cage or even a rollbar. whats the cutoff for uncaged cars?

69gt4speed
09-25-2006, 12:56 AM
11.50 and 120 mph thanks to the z06, viper and 03 cobra they were raised. It has been speculated it will be 11.25 or even 11.00 at 125...

Drifte
09-26-2006, 10:49 AM
congratulations! you and trev should race real soon that would be fun to watch. you add some fuel and a bigger fuse and it will be VERY close

have fun

TbTalon94
09-26-2006, 02:40 PM
Just so you know Dustin i just ran a 12.0@114 sunday...but my car wil probably no longer be driven by me after saturday!!

Fire Hawk
09-26-2006, 03:39 PM
According to what I can find on the internet and in Popular Hot Rodding they say that 12.5-13 A/F is the prime spot for the most power. I'd try to shoot for that with out the bottle and with the bottle I'd fatten it up a little more to be on the safe side so you don't mess anything up.

allgo
09-26-2006, 04:36 PM
You are messing with fire running 13.0 A/F !!!! Safe is always better I wouldnt run anything higher then 11.8s. One blip on the run with a 13.0 A/F and you can say goodbye to your motor.

Drifte
09-26-2006, 05:02 PM
thats weird that a mis or something runnin it over 11.8 could ruin it. but his worked at 14? Lucky or, maybe something im missing here?

allgo
09-26-2006, 06:23 PM
I m saying that running 13s and 14s may not blow it today but tom is another story.Thats why we run are stuff in the 11's for A/F. Sure running in the 13s will make more power but short lived I know this from experience.

Drifte
09-26-2006, 06:33 PM
i lost an injector seal in a run; to #1 in the black one down their V....lost that piston :(

Rollin on Dubs
09-26-2006, 07:56 PM
Dustin, those innovative LM1s are awsome but even scotty said it was giving him funky readings. So i would suggest checking the plugs to see if you AF and timing is about there.

Also if you get the A/F dialed in pretty close you can add some safety margin by running the fuel side of your nitrous a little higher pressure.

What kind of pressure are you flowing your Fuel side of your nitrous at right now?

By the way i dont know if i said this before but 10 pressure and -8 return seems kind of backwards.

DustinsDuster
09-26-2006, 10:09 PM
Dustin, those innovative LM1s are awsome but even scotty said it was giving him funky readings. So i would suggest checking the plugs to see if you AF and timing is about there.

yeah, i might try that, but by the time i get back to the pit area, the readings probably wont be very acurate.

Also if you get the A/F dialed in pretty close you can add some safety margin by running the fuel side of your nitrous a little higher pressure.

What kind of pressure are you flowing your Fuel side of your nitrous at right now?

yeah, im already running another half pound of fuel pressure than the jetting was designed for. im running 8.5 psi at the moment. scary as it is, i dont have a gauge on the nitrous bottle at all at the moment. im going to try to get one by the next time i go to the strip.

By the way i dont know if i said this before but 10 pressure and -8 return seems kind of backwards.

now that you mention it, yeah, youre probably right, but im pretty sure 8AN feed and return would probably be alright for my pump, so i doubt the 10an feed is going to hurt anything.

Fire Hawk
09-27-2006, 03:41 PM
You are messing with fire running 13.0 A/F !!!! Safe is always better I wouldnt run anything higher then 11.8s. One blip on the run with a 13.0 A/F and you can say goodbye to your motor.

For maximum power N/a he should be fine running 12.5-13 like I stated.... but when using nitrous he should run closer 11.5-12 correct??

snickerlicker
09-27-2006, 03:42 PM
If a wideband is giving you funky readings its either because of a mis-fire, or because the sensor itself is contaminated, if its had a bunch of leaded race gas run through it, it needs to be changed. Happens all the time, oh and placement of the wideband in the exhaust in the wrong place will also skew the readings improperly. Nice times btw.

DustinsDuster
09-27-2006, 06:07 PM
If a wideband is giving you funky readings its either because of a mis-fire, or because the sensor itself is contaminated, if its had a bunch of leaded race gas run through it, it needs to be changed. Happens all the time, oh and placement of the wideband in the exhaust in the wrong place will also skew the readings improperly. Nice times btw.

im not sure if i think the sensor is bad, because the readings were so constant, and i didnt ran any race fuel through it at all. the sensor is mounted about 4" in front of the collector.

thanks for all the compliments guys. i know i didnt run super fast, and didnt get to use the nitrous, but for a pump gas running car that i probably couldnt sell for $5,000, im pretty happy with it all motor.

Rollin on Dubs
09-27-2006, 07:58 PM
Dustin, If you need some help Setting up your nitrous. Give me a ring. I have a nice gauge setup for flowing fuel jets that has 1/8 lb graduations. So you can get your fuel side daled in.

When scott was having trouble with it. Ninesecondsnake said that he might have an exhaust leak giving it faulty readings.

Scott
09-27-2006, 10:06 PM
yeah I do beleive it was my wonderfull 4 piece headers that are leaking and gave some very useless and completely inconsistent readings even with a new 02 sensor in it. one of those might be bad dustin, it works most of the time but every once in a while it would give a error message on it but other than that it worked just fine.. but if you wanna buy another sensor for it and try it that would be awesome. but yeah ed and george used it for a while without a problem so you'll be ok, but I would still read those plugs.

DustinsDuster
09-27-2006, 10:49 PM
Dustin, If you need some help Setting up your nitrous. Give me a ring. I have a nice gauge setup for flowing fuel jets that has 1/8 lb graduations. So you can get your fuel side daled in.

im not so much worried about the fuel side as i am the nitrous side. i dont have any type of gauge on it at all.

Rollin on Dubs
09-27-2006, 11:29 PM
[quote="Rollin on Dubs";p="112124":b78d7]Dustin, If you need some help Setting up your nitrous. Give me a ring. I have a nice gauge setup for flowing fuel jets that has 1/8 lb graduations. So you can get your fuel side daled in.

im not so much worried about the fuel side as i am the nitrous side. i dont have any type of gauge on it at all.[/quote:b78d7]

Well i would prob say that both are eaqually as critical. Fuel would be a little more if you ask me.

yeah, im already running another half pound of fuel pressure than the jetting was designed for. im running 8.5 psi at the moment.
8 sounds a little high. I mean without knowing what brand of kit you have im not 100%

But most NOS plate kits you want to be in the 5.5 to 6 lbs