PDA

View Full Version : Croc Hunter Dies

melhoneybee
09-04-2006, 01:21 PM
What are they gonna do with his zoo then??

CAIRNS, Australia (AP) - Steve Irwin, the hugely popular Australian television personality and conservationist known as the "Crocodile Hunter," was killed Monday by a stingray while filming off the Great Barrier Reef. He was 44.

Irwin was at Batt Reef, off the remote coast of northeastern Queensland state, shooting a segment for a series called "Ocean's Deadliest" when he swam too close to one of the animals, which have a poisonous barb on their tails, his friend and colleague John Stainton said.

"He came on top of the stingray and the stingray's barb went up and into his chest and put a hole into his heart," said Stainton, who was on board Irwin's boat at the time.

Crew members aboard the boat, Croc One, called emergency services in the nearest city, Cairns, and administered CPR as they rushed the boat to nearby Low Isle to meet a rescue helicopter. Medical staff pronounced Irwin dead when they arrived a short time later, Stainton said.

DustinsDuster
09-04-2006, 01:40 PM
i heard about this on the radio, then saw it on TV.

as shitty as it is to say, who didnt expect him to get killed by a wild animal while filming for something?

Stutz
09-04-2006, 04:36 PM
Its one of those things that u figure will happen sooner or later, but still its sad. I use to idolize him when i was younger and into reptiles. He did a lot to help animals and had 2 kids i think. RIP

warchild145
09-04-2006, 05:39 PM
2 kids and i'm sure his wife will conitnue to run the zoo.

Kinda ironic and sad filimg oceans deadliest and dies.

RIP

69gt4speed
09-04-2006, 05:59 PM
Yea heard that Mel, too bad hope the family does ok...

Drifte
09-04-2006, 08:20 PM
I should make for good television though. how sad is that.

Stro
09-04-2006, 09:37 PM
It is sad. You wonder if somehow that footage is going to get leaked out. (if its not already).

melhoneybee
09-05-2006, 01:27 AM
yeah thats got to suck... being his kids and (if it does leak out) seeing your dad die on TV or the internet or w.e

TbTalon94
09-05-2006, 07:30 AM
They will probably have a big segment about his life here soon on TV, and they may show a breif clip of HOW he died...maybe not see it happen because im sure his family wouldn't care to see that. It sucks to leave behind a wife and i think 2 kids now. He has been close to dieing many times, i guess you just can't cheat death to many times.

Stro
09-05-2006, 01:27 PM
I just saw a documentary of his life on tv yesterday. I don't know if it was made recently for because of what happened or if it was an older one about him.

Fire Hawk
09-05-2006, 04:48 PM
He does have 2 kids ages 8 and 2. From the sounds of it he wouldn't of had a chance to live at all from the wound cause it went directly into his heart and I guess he pulled it out cause the barb is coated in a slime that contains all the poisons. I guess that was the 3rd reported death by a sting ray ever.

ZacFields
09-05-2006, 05:14 PM
^ Right

Ashley said she saw on TV that the moment of him getting stabbed by the stingray was actually caught on tape and held for about 5 seconds before the cameraman realized that he was in serious trouble.

It's a very unfortunate occurance. Really a freak accident if you think about it. That stingray didn't know to stab him in the heart...it just jabbed at whatever it could get and it just happened to go directly into his heart.

But yeah right when he was stabbed he pulled the poker thing out of his heart. Like micah said he probably didn't have much of a chance anyways, but he would have had a little better opportunity if he didn't take it out. But either way, the stingray poker thing is poisonous so it was basically a lost cause anyway.

I get kinda annoyed when I hear people talking about it like it's funny. I don't see anything funny about it. The guy had a wife and kids, and was a really brave person. Yeah some people would consider the things he did "stupid" but y'know, he risked his life to bring entertainment to millions of people. I don't see anything funny that a freak accident took his life. (Not referring to any of you guys, I was discussing this with some people at work the other day)

Zac

melhoneybee
09-05-2006, 09:07 PM
I get kinda annoyed when I hear people talking about it like it's funny. I don't see anything funny about it. The guy had a wife and kids, and was a really brave person. Yeah some people would consider the things he did "stupid" but y'know, he risked his life to bring entertainment to millions of people. I don't see anything funny that a freak accident took his life. (Not referring to any of you guys, I was discussing this with some people at work the other day)

Zac

I hear ya on that one... if it wasn't for animal Ambassadors like him.. there would be more reported deaths of all posinous animals out there... cause we as a general population wouldn't know anything about them...

DustinsDuster
09-06-2006, 11:29 PM
i dont think its funny, it just wasnt much of a surprise to me. i pretty much expected him to die in that fashion.