PDA

View Full Version : Freon or Compressor? I ain't got no cold air!

ZacFields
08-30-2006, 01:37 PM
So...I've never had this problem before so I have no clue even where to start.

Something's wrong though. Either the Freon or my AC compressor is done for, because all of a sudden this morning I realized that my AC doesnt' work at all, when yesterday and every day before that it has worked just fine.

Anyone have any ideas? Wouldn't you notice a slow decline if it was a Freon problem? I have a feeling my compressor is shot.

Zac

Drifte
08-30-2006, 03:13 PM
idk for sure. but i installed a/c on my car and have a little experience from that. if its out of freon compressor should turn on anyway. but kinda sounds like you may have hit somethin that broke a line maybe...give it some time see if it gets cold. or see if theirs any rpm changes from on to off vise versa.

warchild145
08-30-2006, 06:50 PM
so basically its just blowing warm air?

or is their more to it?

krustindumm
08-30-2006, 06:55 PM
start the engine, pop the hood. watch the a/c compressor, the pulley should be spinning, but the center will be stationary. Have someone flip on the a/c while you watch the pulley. It should start spinning. If it doesn't.....

check the system pressure, low & high should be right about the same as the temp (ex: 75*, should see 75psi on both sides). If it's alot lower, you need a recharge, but you have a leak (probably bad) that will need fixed.

If the pressure is good, you have a problem somewhere else. Going to be electricle, and more than I feel like typing.

rysbrnr
08-30-2006, 09:56 PM
If the pressure is good, you have a problem somewhere else. Going to be electricle, and more than I feel like typing. if pressure is good AND compressor is spinning then there isn't going to be an electrical problem. There are pressure window sensors/switches that allow the compressor clutch to engage. If the the pressure sensors are happy with freon charge level they'll let the clutch engage. Common failures besides (loss of freon and compressor failure) are blocked expansion valve and/of bad receiver/dryer.

ZacFields
08-30-2006, 11:37 PM
Thanks guys!

Yeah this is a stupid problem to have. My car's gettin' old though so I guess I should expect it.

I will check all this stuff tomorrow and let you guys know what I find out.

Zac