PDA

View Full Version : Car PCs

biohazard
06-11-2006, 10:19 PM
I get bored a lot at work and I have been thinking about this for a while (several several months). I would like to have a side hobby/business of building and maybe installing car pcs. It's just an idea but would anyone be interested? If there are some people interested, I could possibly do 1 or 2 cars at my cost to get some practice with it.

RandomHero
06-11-2006, 10:30 PM
um i already work with a company that does that
we build custom consoles with built in pcs, we call it a Compusole

http://www.acecustompcs.com/universal.html

biohazard
06-11-2006, 10:51 PM
I didn't know, I was just wondering if anyone was interested.

TbTalon94
06-12-2006, 08:11 AM
I'm sorry but that "compusole" thing is not what i see when i hear CarPC. It's freaking huge and wouldn't fit in most cars (mine included). When I think CarPC i think integrated touch screen somewhere in the car (cleanly installed)...with a remote pc location like under the seats or whatever. Also being able to do everything a PC can. It looks like that Compusole has some sort of software that limits to what you can do. Just my opinion.

Ashley
06-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Brandon, I think if you want to try it - then do it. Don't let other people stop you. I'd post it on a couple diff car forums and see if anyone would be interested, or try it on your friends cars or your car or something.. and if its something that would even just be a hobby of yours, if not a business, then go for it. =)

RandomHero
06-12-2006, 11:32 PM
they are not just those big consoles, the console on the website is one we custom made for a lincoln navigator. we take consoles from the make of car that you have and custom build a pc into your console. get it? there is another site where you can buy an ecu type thing that is a little pc that you can hook up to shit and what not.

96-eclipse-gst
06-13-2006, 12:11 PM
I like the idea, Trevor has it down pat. It would have to be like that and able to run DSMlink and/or Pocketlogger.

TbTalon94
06-13-2006, 12:31 PM
they are not just those big consoles, the console on the website is one we custom made for a lincoln navigator. we take consoles from the make of car that you have and custom build a pc into your console. get it? there is another site where you can buy an ecu type thing that is a little pc that you can hook up to sh*t and what not.

Not all cars have center consoles matt. It's kind of hard to build a computer into a console that you can barely fit a pop into. The ecu type thing you are talking about is what I was refering to. The computer comes in a very small compact box (about the size of a car deck) and then a monitor is ran from that as well as any other accessories you'd like such as a keyboard and/or mouse. That way it can be put anywhere and would be a lot cleaner.

biohazard
06-13-2006, 01:16 PM
This has gone far past my expectations as a discussion. I have actually started to gather parts for my car pc project on the Daytona. I was wondering cause some of the places I can buy stuff from give discounts on bulk.

RandomHero
06-14-2006, 10:45 PM
This has gone far past my expectations as a discussion. I have actually started to gather parts for my car pc project on the Daytona. I was wondering cause some of the places I can buy stuff from give discounts on bulk.
what motherboard are you planning on using?

the devices that we sell all use a mini itx motherboards

biohazard
06-14-2006, 11:44 PM
i was going with either a mini itx or nano itx (when the place has them back in stock). just depends if they get it in stock in a few weeks.

krustindumm
07-01-2006, 11:55 AM
intergrated car computer systems have been around forever. The really nice ones are built to fit into the dash where you will never see it or hear it. Then utilizing even just pioneers dvd flip out reciever controlling it. thats even got built in navi. trevor and i talked about this before; if he decides to spend more moeny on his car rather than his house maybe their will be more discusion. The part that is heated would be you power inverter, it is usually also loud. Those are going to need the research and whatnot. everyone knows computers are up to the task these days tho.

this is drifte btw. i forgot to sign dustin out...