PDA

View Full Version : help choosen

iLuVrIcE
12-20-2005, 07:53 PM
well, tryin to decide what car i want to get when i do get one. right now im lookin at two. heres what i know about the two

87 Trans Am
5.0L
black/black
T-Tops
114K miles
auto
bone stock

91 Mustang LX hatchback/fastback
orig. 2.3 now has 302 from early 90's lincoln
white/?
edelbrock rpm intake
holley 600 carb
MSD ignition
BBk headers
flowmaster exhaust
B&M hammer shifter
C6 from 79 truck.

both are pretty much rust free

i have already had a mustang and a trans am, but the pony was a 4 banger, and the TA was just a POS.

im likin the black on black and t-top of the trans am, but the mustang sounds like it would be pretty quick. which would you choose? (say they are the same price)

Fire Hawk
12-20-2005, 08:25 PM
Well either would be a good fast car if built right. Right in with the specs you listed I'd go with the mustang cause more then likely the 302 will walk all over the 305 T/A.

Make sure the T-tops are not going to leak like a sive all over the place if you go with that one. They will get water inside if you apply too much pressure around different areas of the weather stripping.

The mustang could of been ragged on pretty good beings a 302 was dropped in place of a 4 cyclinder.... but pay insurance on a 4 cyclinder vs a v8 isn't too bad either.

If the TA is fuel injected not throttle body you can get yourself a nice 350 set in there with that and have a nice running car. It's all up to personal preference.

iLuVrIcE
12-20-2005, 10:08 PM
the guy who owns the mustang is in his 30s. i asked him if it was pretty quick, and all he said is "well... im sure it could get up and go if you wanted it to" im jus not sure about the C6 trans from a 79 truck.

plus im guessin the TA would get better gas mileage (still not great... but better) plus i LOVE t-tops. but then i have always loved mustans. i guess i have a few days to think about it atleast.

86svo9L
12-20-2005, 10:20 PM
go with the stang, id ditch the c6 asap though c4s are fairly common or better yet get a t5 manual tranny, i had a 86 iroc with tpi and liked it, it moved allright but nothing like either of my stangs...

warchild145
12-20-2005, 10:36 PM
I'd defienetly check over all the work on the stang. Just because it has all these mods doesnt mean they were done right.

Also the t/a like mentioned check the t-tops and also rear suspension.

Also depends on your plans you have and how much your wanting to spend. Both are fairly cheap to mod and handle mods well.

I'm not a fan of 3rd gen f-bodys anymore having owned an 84 z28 camaro so i say go with the stang. But in the end its all up to you. And what you see yourself driving.

iLuVrIcE
12-20-2005, 10:46 PM
well. this is gonna be project

"DONT TOUCH THE FUCKING THING!!!!"

im leanin towards the TA i love t-tops, and my favorite color is black. if i did do anything to either, i would just add some NOS, but i dont want to touch it.

which is the main reason i dont keep the talon, i know that with the DSM around, i will never have the money to finish my fiero. cuz i would have some cams, injectors, FMIC, and god knows what else.

lookin for somethin that looks nice, and has a lil balls, plus i miss RWD

melhoneybee
12-21-2005, 12:41 AM
i voted TA only cause Im parshal to them.

DustinsDuster
12-21-2005, 01:01 AM
91 Mustang with a carburetor. have fun with that. in my mind, defeats the purpose. sounds like a country bumpkin hotrod. wouldnt want to deal with all the cobbled shit people have probably done to it.

besides, i like my distributor in the back.

Dustin

kingofbling
12-21-2005, 09:20 AM
you said country bumpkin.... LOL

iLuVrIcE
12-21-2005, 10:59 AM
C'mon people, 47 views and only 5 votes?

s13kid
12-21-2005, 11:36 AM
seems like there are enough mustangs rolling around already... I'd go with a trans am

RWSBIRD
12-21-2005, 11:58 AM
I would go with the T/A. Sure it has some miles but a bone stock car is the right way to start. If you get a car that has been screwed with by someone else there is no telling if they knew what they were doing with all those different parts. You might have to spend money fixing what they messed up before you make it faster. You can find plenty of parts to make the T/A a screamer and the T-tops would be nice. Good luck either way.

Fire Hawk
12-21-2005, 10:27 PM
91 Mustang with a carburetor. have fun with that. in my mind, defeats the purpose. sounds like a country bumpkin hotrod. wouldnt want to deal with all the cobbled shit people have probably done to it.

besides, i like my distributor in the back.

Dustin

I agree with Dustin on this one there... You never know how/who has put the car together.

I know the 305 motors are a solid motor and will last you if you maintain what it needs. I had an 89 firebird with a 305 5 speed. I bought it with 133k and sold it at 151k with a lot of beating on it all the time, 1st v8, and around 150k it would blow a small amount of smoke when starting it out the tail pipes when it'd sit for while. I sold that a couple years ago and it came into work a few months ago with 172k on it not taken care of from the people who had it and it was still strong as ever no problems at all.

If it has the 700r4 in it, get a tranny cooler to help it out or the tranny will take a shit in no time.

iLuVrIcE
12-22-2005, 03:13 PM
hmmm

28% mustang
71% TA

what happened to the other 1% ?

Fire Hawk
12-22-2005, 03:44 PM
hmmm

28% mustang
71% TA

what happened to the other 1% ?

The system doesn't automatically round up to the nearest 1.

warchild145
12-22-2005, 04:24 PM
Have you already looked at either vehicle or just seen/talked to owner? If you have what did you find out?

iLuVrIcE
12-22-2005, 05:19 PM
jus talked to the owners. mustang i think is out of the question. i would prolly be too tempted to mess with it. plus the carb... i just plain dont like that. suppose to look at the TA sunday mornin.

but while surfin, i happened to find a white 1986 300ZX, V6(n/a), 5 speed, t-tops, 98K miles, cd player, 2 seater (excuse to not give people rides!!) and it is nearly 1/2 the price of the TA, so i would have some $$$ to finish my fiero!!!!