PDA

View Full Version : FIERO swap progress

iLuVrIcE
11-26-2005, 10:13 AM
i started with a 1987 Fiero with a 2.5L 4-tech engine with roughly 90 horsepower. i then got a 3.4L DOHC V6 from a Z34. when all is said and done, should be kickin out roughly 300WHP at about 10PSI. (im told the stock bottom end can handle upwards of 16-17, and have seen stock bottoms gettin pushed that far, but i think ill settle with a nice even 10#)

WELL, i finaly got the fiero into my garage. (had to strip everything out of my neon before i put it in storage). first i disconnected everything, then hoisted her up a few feet in the air and dropped the rear cradle (thank you warchild). got the engine pulled off, and the tranny pulled and set aside as well.
the heads are out getting ported and polished. when they get back, out go the intakes and exhaust to get P&P'd. theres not really much i can do at the moment sense i am buying christmas presents, i really have no money to spend on it right now. but plans are to have it finished up by end of February at the latest.

pics will be up later

logans dad
11-26-2005, 10:39 AM
I cant wait to see it when its done. As long as its torn apart have you thought about an aluminum v-8. I was in Ft. Madison and not the prison lol as I want to remain a virgin but was making a delivery and this Fiero that was close by started up and I about shit when I could tell it had a V 8 in it. I told the guy unloading me that I had to check this out and went over and talked to the guy and he said he did research on it and bought all the stuff at places to make it easy to install, wiring harnesses and all. When he took off and got out in the street he got on it and man did that thing get with the program. He said it was out of a Buick and all aluminum, but I cant remember what C.I. it was. Maybe like a 4,0 or 4.3

iLuVrIcE
11-27-2005, 06:14 PM
yeah, a ton of people do the V8 swaps, but im not really into them. i would much rather have a turbo V6. plus the V8 swap requires quite a bit more money (roughly $1500-$2500) where as mine is pretty much a "drop in". plus most people dont really go much more than 300HP any way, due to the transmissions. plus i just plain dont like V8's

out with the old...

iLuVrIcE
11-27-2005, 06:16 PM
in with the new... well not quite yet, still waitin to get the ECM, wiring harness, turbo (and accesories), IC, and of cours the spec stage 3 clutch, along with all new bushings, mounts, etc.

lil krumm
11-27-2005, 07:14 PM
hey heres an idea.......FINISH ONE PROJECT BEFORE YOU START THE NEXT ONE, or 2 or 3 what ever your on now.

Drifte
11-27-2005, 11:28 PM
eyah man thats quite the project, and so many you have. where do you find the time.

anyway, good luck and keep the pics coming.

Luminatorz34
11-28-2005, 03:57 AM
thats my old motor :( looks different blue now. i honestly had no idea you were going to turbo that beast. it has awesome tope end, from around 3.5k rpms and up after all 4 cams kicked in it was a rocket. but with a turbo on it that will screammmmm. good luck keith. i get my bottoem end on friday for the blaster. im soo excited

BlownPony306
11-28-2005, 11:56 AM
Looks like a sweet project. I had a Fiero GT in HS and that thing was fun even with the 140 hp V6. I couldn't imagine it with 300. Keep the updates coming.

iLuVrIcE
11-28-2005, 07:45 PM
hey heres an idea.......FINISH ONE PROJECT BEFORE YOU START THE NEXT ONE, or 2 or 3 what ever your on now.

uhm...? the neon is done. (minus some paint) is that what your talkin about? other than that, this is my only project. i got rid of my other fiero when i got this one. my snowmobile is done, and Luminator Z34 took the 4-wheeler off my hands. so yeah... my only project.

i work roughly 8-10 hours a day, so that leaves me a good lil chunk of time after work, plus i have everyother wednesday and saturday off )opposite weeks) and sense melissa is in school, and workinh her ASS off, i only get to see her a couples days a week, so i have plenty of free time. just at the moment no money.

and as of now there really isnt a ton of stuff to do. but ill post pics of the progress i make, when i make it.

on a budget
11-28-2005, 07:49 PM
I was in Ft. Madison and not the prison

:suspect:

lil krumm
11-28-2005, 08:09 PM
[quote="lil murk";p="88220":bbca8]hey heres an idea.......FINISH ONE PROJECT BEFORE YOU START THE NEXT ONE, or 2 or 3 what ever your on now.

uhm...? the neon is done. (minus some paint) is that what your talkin about?
[/quote:bbca8]

you finished tha 400hp turbo engine you kept talkin about? and the dsm you bought, i thought you were doing abunch of stuff to that?

69gt4speed
11-29-2005, 06:31 AM
I cant wait to see it when its done. As long as its torn apart have you thought about an aluminum v-8. I was in Ft. Madison and not the prison lol as I want to remain a virgin but was making a delivery and this Fiero that was close by started up and I about shit when I could tell it had a V 8 in it. I told the guy unloading me that I had to check this out and went over and talked to the guy and he said he did research on it and bought all the stuff at places to make it easy to install, wiring harnesses and all. When he took off and got out in the street he got on it and man did that thing get with the program. He said it was out of a Buick and all aluminum, but I cant remember what C.I. it was. Maybe like a 4,0 or 4.3

I believe engines are still around in the range rover. I knew a guy with a early buick with the alum v8. 400 hp with a s/c. They are owned by ford.

iLuVrIcE
11-29-2005, 07:10 PM
[quote="iLuVrIcE";p="88311":7d5ce]
[quote="lil murk";p="88220":7d5ce]hey heres an idea.......FINISH ONE PROJECT BEFORE YOU START THE NEXT ONE, or 2 or 3 what ever your on now.

uhm...? the neon is done. (minus some paint) is that what your talkin about?
[/quote:7d5ce]

you finished tha 400hp turbo engine you kept talkin about? and the dsm you bought, i thought you were doing abunch of stuff to that?[/quote:7d5ce]

i posted a lil while back that i decided not to waste an easy
$2K-$3K to build a high power engine for the neon after i added all the speakers, amps, subs, sound deadening, wood, fiberglass and everything else, cus it would be a waste putting that much power in a HEAVY ass car. thats when i decided to get a DSM, so i could spice it up, and gut it out. which i do plan on doing, but as of now it is my DD so i cant do ne thing real big to it yet.

and as for this project, i have been tryin to sell this fiero for quite some time, but that didnt happen, then i see the 3.4L for sale, so i decided what the hell, it'll gimme something to do. not to mention how fun it will be to have that much power in such a light car. hell, even the 90HP 2.5L that was in it to begin with would kick the ass out like nuttin, so with roughyl 3-4 times the power going into it, it should be FUN!!!

lenny
11-29-2005, 07:23 PM
So...Do you have any suspension or body mods in planning?
-Dan

iLuVrIcE
11-29-2005, 07:46 PM
:biggrin:

not really much suspension upgrades, jus better mounts, bushings etc. i am putting on rear coilovers

as far as body/appearance goes: jus some rims-15X7 up front and 15X10 in the rear.

some "integrated rocker panels" from Archie. http://www.v8archie.com/rocker.htm

and if i can find a donor car, i would LOVE to make my car a T-TOP car, but the the t-top roof sections alone sell for $500-$2000 so ill have to wait til i find someone that jus doesnt know what they have. i would rather make it like a del-sol top, where the whole center piece comes out.

other than that, not much gonna be done to it. prolly throw some new window tint on it, and of course some blue LEDs, but that jus the ricer inside me coming out.

iLuVrIcE
11-29-2005, 07:55 PM
unless of course i can get the $5000 for the fastback chop top conversion that i like.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/024804.html

lil krumm
11-30-2005, 07:44 AM
did you mention getting new wheels? cause that really needs to be done :)

TbTalon94
11-30-2005, 07:48 AM
Yea wheels are a must. Stock fiero wheels are soo nasty.

I gotta admit those Chop jobs look fucking sweet. That silver one he did really does have that "supercar" appearance. If it had a supercharged LS1 in it, it COULD be a supercar :). My brother has been wanting to get a good looking Fiero and put an LS1 in it. That is like the perfect set-up. Light body, mid-engine, two-seater, rear wheel drive, and gobs of power.

I think you should drop a v-8 in that shit.

BlownPony306
11-30-2005, 09:25 AM
As long as you can get a tranny to hold up to the power, along with the half shafts. It is a pretty sweet idea though

iLuVrIcE
11-30-2005, 09:45 AM
V8 isnt gonna happen! that has been done to hell!!! i bet 90% of fieros that have engine swaps are V8's wether they are N*, 302, 305, 350, 383, LS1, LT1 or whatever else, they still only make like 300HP just because of the limitations of the trnas and half shafts. and you have to do WAY MORE fabrication and get WAY MORE custom parts which means WAY MORE money!!!!

but yeah if i wanted to spend
$2500 to get tranny built
$2000 for an LT1 engine
$1500 for the mount/adapter kit
$2000+ for custom fuel lines, brackets etc.
$500 for a wiring harness
$600 for stronger drive shafts

and im sure like $1500+ for other misc stuff i forgot about at the moment.

then i would have like $10000 and i could jus by a damn corvette, mustang or what have you and just gut the hell out of it and it could handle a lot more HP...

i am very happy with the engien i chose, i like the fact that its one of the more unique swaps that havent been done to hell!! this swap alone should cost like $300-$500 not including the turbo and other misc performance stuff.

iLuVrIcE
12-01-2005, 08:55 PM
well, ive went i SLIGHLTY different direction with the engine, still goind to boost, jus getting the boost a lil differently. i've seen a few people with 3.4DOHC turbo, but have yet to see one like what mine will be (see pic below)

ill give you a BIG hint...

Stutz
12-01-2005, 09:12 PM
should of just done a L67 swap, good luck with that 3.4 DOHC. is it originally MFI or SFI?

iLuVrIcE
12-01-2005, 09:16 PM
and i did get a little more done today, got the engine put back together, and painted my trans. so it would look a little better. this project should be done a little quicker, now that i dont have to wait fir the $$$$ to buy the; turbo, WG, BOV, IC, IC piping, and some other turbo associated stuff.

supercharger should be here prolly tuesday or wednesday. so i should have the "intake box" finished up in a week or two. the supercharger is an M62 or M90 (cant remember right off hand) which is made for a 3800, but the person i got it from has started making an "adapter" for it to fit a 3.4L, i jus have to get one more "plat done and have it welded, then slap on my 38LB injectors and then the SCe'r

iLuVrIcE
12-01-2005, 09:18 PM
should of just done a L67 swap, good luck with that 3.4 DOHC. is it originally MFI or SFI?

Multi Port Fuel Injection

iLuVrIcE
12-01-2005, 09:20 PM
oh yeah, and dont mind that the exhaust manifold is on the wrong side, jus slapped it on for a pic

BlownPony306
12-01-2005, 09:54 PM
Fabbing an intake to mount the SC on and getting it to line up with the accessory pullies is gonna be fun. =)

iLuVrIcE
12-02-2005, 07:37 AM
yeah, thats what i was thinkin. but i figure a level, straight edge and a lot of TIME and PATIENCE i should be able to get it done. if all else fails i can take it in, but i think i can do it!

Luminatorz34
12-02-2005, 08:59 AM
hey man let me know when this thing is done, ive never seen a s/c 3.4 dohc. im working on 2 bottom ends to the blaster now, hopefully it should be running next week

iLuVrIcE
12-02-2005, 05:55 PM
yeah... as far as i know this will be one of the first S/C 3.4TDC. atleast i have never seen one. hell ive only seen 2 turbo 3.4Ls

Stutz
12-02-2005, 06:40 PM
So what tranny are you using to withstand the power of a s/c x

iLuVrIcE
12-02-2005, 08:18 PM
stock fiero transmission :banghead: well... for as long it lasts

iLuVrIcE
12-22-2005, 05:55 PM
not too much to update, but heres what i got

finished cleanin up the engine bay, paintin it with high temp black paint (500*) and am gettin ready to put on some heat shield/sound dampener.
got the cradle and suspension cleaned up and also painted with high temp black paint.

i ordered my rear coilovers

found a set of rims http://img359.imageshack.us/img359/2213/choice11ja.th.png (http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=choice11ja.png)

thinkin about how i should get it painted. it will be blue for the main color, with black. need to decide if i want two black stripes going down the middle, or just repaint it like it is with the black "body kit" (bottom part of the car)

in the pic i painted, you can kinda see how the bottom section of the car (aero kit) is black from the factory. i can repaint it black, or paint it the same blue as the rest of the car and then do the stripes like i painted (obviously not so shitty lookin though)

there are two main lines which run the entire length of the car. you cant see in the bottom pic, but heres one where you can see the lines. the stripes will be from the two lines inward, leaving like 5-6 inches in between them, lines are on the rear as well

iLuVrIcE
12-22-2005, 06:12 PM
FTR. rims are black with polished lip, windows will be tinted 30%, so im tryin to deicde what paint scheme will set off the blue/black

im like 90% going with the stripes

Inferno333
12-22-2005, 07:30 PM
I like the bottom section black like in the top picture of the red car. I'm not much for stripes of that size on that small of a car.

DustinsDuster
12-23-2005, 06:18 PM
please god dont put stripes on the roof, it just doesnt look right.

just an idea, what do you think itd look like if you painted it black inbetween the two style lines down the side of your car?

Dustin

sLoWnStEaDy
12-23-2005, 09:45 PM
not quite sure i get what your sayin...

these are the two things that came to mind when i read your post. am i way off?

lil krumm
12-23-2005, 10:24 PM
i think he means 2 tone, top black bottom blue????

sLoWnStEaDy
12-23-2005, 11:10 PM
god i hope not :vom: :puke:

lil krumm
12-23-2005, 11:13 PM
god i hope not :vom: :puke:

stfu :)

sLoWnStEaDy
12-24-2005, 10:40 AM
got some goodies for the fiero ordered today.

T60 turbo .60/.84
(HKS) 60mm WG (lil big but it was the right price)
50mm BOV
24x9x3 FMIC (rated at 800HP, .2 psi drop at 15#)
all ^ with 1 year warranty

36# injectors
fiero V6 wiring harness
and the DOHC wiring harness (must "fuse" the two together)

DustinsDuster
12-26-2005, 04:22 PM
that is what i was thinking, just because ive never really seen anything like it. dont want to do it? fine, dont. your car.

Dustin

TbTalon94
12-27-2005, 12:09 PM
Where exactly are you going to be mounting that FMIC in the rear part of the car. It's made for the front end of cars. You might want to look into a Top-mounted intercooler set-up. Or an air-water.

cavymanz24
12-27-2005, 08:47 PM
what purpose do these serve?

sLoWnStEaDy
12-27-2005, 09:05 PM
as for the intercooler, it will be mounted to the front of the cradle with a small scoop to help push air.

and thos scoops (which i will be buying shortly) mainly just look cool, but also push air into the engine bay through the ventes the cover. jus helps cool the engine a lil more. i was actually thikin of gettin 2 DSM SMIC and puttin one under each of those scoops but i have no idea how/if you can run dual intercoolers.

ill try to find something to better explain the FMIC mounting location.

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 05:35 AM
looks like everything is comming along nicely though. I'm kinda torn on the paint. 2-toned the right way like dustin was talkin about would be cool if done right... but then again I'm a big solid color / classy looking kinda guy myself.

I dont think i would do the hot dog stripe myself. Just something about it kinda would make your car look like a hot wheels car imo.

But do post up your intercooler solution. I am pretty interested to see what your plans are. =) looks good... keep the updates commin!

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 07:35 AM
Running 2 intercoolers on one turbo is simple. JOIN THE PIPING! All you do is make a Y-pipish design comming off the 2 intercoolers going into T/B and the same thing comming off the turbo into the intercoolers. It would be much much easier if you were to go twin-turbo...or just one large Intercooler.

You may want to think of getting a Supra Side-mount. They are suppost to support 400hp without heat soaking to quickly. It would be good for your application and would probably fit a little better then one huge FMIC.

-Trevor

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 08:16 AM
I guess i just really thought that those roof scoops actually pounded enough air down to be useful for intercooling. Am I wrong? because if that is the case what would be the draw back of throwing a big TMIC?

remind you, i've never touched a fiero... so I'm just going off the very very little i know.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 08:58 AM
Well using a TMIC would be good. It's probably just space limited. Also the air has to go through the intercooler and....pass somewhere. A WRX's TMIC system makes it so there is nothing (or not much) behind the intercooler so the air has somewhere to go and not just run into the hot engine.

A TMIC on a fiero would be interesting. Just remember that the air passing through it has to pass through it fully...not just run into something right below it. It wouldn't do a damn bit of good. That is why i suggested a Supra SMIC. It would cool plenty of air and wouldn't be so space limited. If i remember correctly there should be space on atleast one side of the engine bay where the SMIC could sit comfortably and air could pass through it easily with one of those scoops.

-Trevor

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 09:27 AM
ok that makes sence. So the scoop does produce enough air flow down to the IC. But then you are limited by the SMIC on PSI that you can push safely.

But those SMICs off of those supra's can hold like up to 16psi i think if not more. so that still would be a good kick for something lighter then my 240 even.

Slow, do you have an engine bay shot? I've never seen the inside and im kinda lazy and dont want to google one. I want to see how you would do 2 SMICs under each scoop. Obviously they built the ventilation system a certain way for a reason. And now this has become the new highlight of my day =)

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 09:31 AM
TB.. a buddy of mine has an evo 8 and that IC looks like it was mounted to the block. another guy i know has a WRX wagon, and same thing with him.

SO like you were saying, there is no where for the air to go. So why are they using that system? those two constantly complain about heat soak.

Dont get my wrong i've got horrible heat soak myself, thats why i've got to get that FMIC on asap. but is there an advantage to the TMIC? cause so far i cant see one.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 12:02 PM
Jay...what do you mean the Evo8's intercooler was mounted to the block? Its mounted in the front with plenty of flow. A TMIC set-up is basically for space limited applications. You see a lot of WRX guys 'upgrading' to FMIC but the piping is crazy long and a little complicated. The TMIC heat soak so easy because they are in the engine bay...with all that heat. Yea the scoops on the WRX's are very very functional and provide a lot of airflow but you can only cool something so much.

Also you can't just say the SMIC will hold 16psi. It all depends on the airflow. It could hold 16psi from a T25 all day long, run after run and wont heat soak. On the other hand if you had a 60-1 on there running 16psi it will probably heat soak quickly. The Supra SMIC are very nice intercoolers and will cool a lot of air. Guys with DSM's use them all the time for a sleeper look and still run a bigger turbo with a decent amount of boost. You can also get an intercooler sprayer just for that added effect.

I still think for his space limiting application the Supra SMIC is the best bet.

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 12:16 PM
I didn’t mean it was mounted directly "on the block" I was just meant that it was sitting right on top, and didn’t look like it had much room to breath other then the hood scoop that seemed to flow nicely on the top. I just don’t see why they would manufacture it in such a fashion when yes the engine bay is cluttered, but there is still plenty of room for a FMIC, even for a SMIC where it would obviously get better cooling.

Wait now that im thinking of it… don’t those things come with some sort of stock “IC spray” system? I’m not talking something fancy-smanchy… but like something where the …. Yeah never mind I think im totally off.

As for the PSI and turbo size and such, yeah your right i have a tendency to generalize specifically towards my car when im thinking boost and everything else. I keep forgetting that the 25 is not the only turbo =P

I fail at life :banghead:

BlownPony306
12-28-2005, 12:21 PM
Are you sure it was an EVO? EVOs have FMIC setups. WRXs have a TMIC.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 12:44 PM
Yea im pretty sure he was talking about the WRX.

If you look at the back/bottom of the TMIC on the WRX is is pretty free and clear of anything. I will try to find a picture of what i'm talking about, but there is some room for airflow.

I'm thinking the reasoning behind why they didn't do a side-mount or front mount was for a few things.

1: originality, innovative
2: space limited
3: TMIC of that size is more efficient then a small SMIC
4: Piping is almost non-existant for awesome response

-Trevor

BlownPony306
12-28-2005, 12:47 PM
That and it keeps it off the ground since the WRX was desiged as their rally car. Don't want to smash up your intercooler when you go ramping over a dirt hill.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 12:52 PM
That is true ^^

Here are some pictures to show you what i was talking about:

Stg4raddo
12-28-2005, 01:39 PM
That is true ^^

Here are some pictures to show you what i was talking about:

has any one forgot about that air to water option?? why not just run a true FMIC the car already has long ass coolant hoses runing to the front of the car why not do that same for the charge pipes??? lol oh yea lag would be neat with that set up also..

did i mention u talk about a lot of stuff. what ever happened to the dual superchager idea?? or did i smash that dream of urs also.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 01:43 PM
Hey i said the air-water would be easy and thats what a lot of MR-2 guys run....but nOOOOOO had to get a air-air intercooler.

BlownPony306
12-28-2005, 01:43 PM
If it's a true air to water you wouldn't have to run it to the front. The air doesn't cool it the water does. You could mount it anywhere. Probably be the easiest to pull off.

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 01:55 PM
OMG its amazing an entire thread with out arguing and informitive comments and opinions... well now i've probably jinxed it.

I know it was an EVO and one was a WRX... i think i just saw the WRX last and couldnt remember what the EVO's bay looked like. But that is a very good point about the response... never really thought about that.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 02:19 PM
If it's a true air to water you wouldn't have to run it to the front. The air doesn't cool it the water does. You could mount it anywhere. Probably be the easiest to pull off.

You are correct. No one said anything about having to route it up front? It can be put right in-line with the turbo outlet and throttle body. Easy, efficient, sometimes cheaper, and it looks cool.

I vote air-water....or Supra SMIC

Edit: i forgot that you will also need a water resevoir, some sort of water cooler, and a pump. So it may not be as easy as you think :)

BlownPony306
12-28-2005, 02:26 PM
Stg4raddo metioned routing the air to air one to the front right after mentioning the air to water setup so I got those run together.

TbTalon94
12-28-2005, 02:29 PM
Yea that's easy to get crossed.

LoL plus he was just being an asshole.

BlownPony306
12-28-2005, 02:51 PM
My whole point was that the water to air is going to be easier because you can put the cooler anywhere. You can run it up to the front of the car very easily if you wanted. Then all you need is a pump where you can mount pretty much anywhere too. If he doesn't eliminate the trunk he can mount it there, or even in the engine bay depending on space.

boxmakingman
12-28-2005, 04:24 PM
I have supra intercooler for sale.

$75 cash and carry

sLoWnStEaDy
12-28-2005, 04:41 PM
also i am going with a FMIC mounted at the front of the cradle at a slight angle with a "scoop" to help push air through. i couldnt find any SMIC that can handle the pressure and HP.

here are some engine bay pics, my bay is empty, and like 6 ft in the air, so i couldnt get any pics of it.
http://www.meisners.net/fiero/FieroGT/p ... 22_JPG.htm (http://www.meisners.net/fiero/FieroGT/pages/P3210022_JPG.htm)

http://www.meisners.net/fiero/FieroGT/p ... 23_JPG.htm (http://www.meisners.net/fiero/FieroGT/pages/P3210023_JPG.htm)

http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/Other/Fiero_engine.jpg

http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/Other/intaked3.jpg

http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/engine- ... nstall.jpg (http://www.2bluesc.com/pictures/engine-bay-l67-install.jpg)

DragonUSMC
12-28-2005, 08:38 PM
OK i see whats going on now... thx slow the pics really helped out. I was just trying to figure out where / how the scoops were going to direct airflow and to where.

iLuVrIcE
12-28-2005, 09:08 PM
oops, didnt realize i was under my other SN for that last post... sorry

FTR:
iluvirce=slow'n'steady=ME

TbTalon94
12-29-2005, 07:23 AM
Why don't you draw a rough sketch in paint or something where exactly you plan on mounting that FMIC in there. I'm telling you there just isn't enough room and open space to fit a properly flowing FMIC.

iLuVrIcE
12-29-2005, 12:09 PM
well, i dont know if i can really explain it that great in paint, but ill try.

there is an empty space between the front of the cradle and the back part of the car (fire wall) mount the IC there at a slight angle to help catch air, with a scoop to further assist in pushing air through. there is someone with the sam eengine as mine runninga slightly smaller turbo with the intercooler mounted as ive explained, make over 400hp at the wheels on a stock engine with only cam timing as an "upgrade".

EDIT: forgot somethin :rolleyes:http://i24.imagethrust.com/t/168892/crappypaintoficsetup.jpg (http://i24.imagethrust.com/p/168892/crappypaintoficsetup_jpg.html)

also FTR. i am only a few parts away from having EVERYTHING i need. i am still looking for some cam carriers off a 94-95 TDC. so if you know of someone/somewhree that has them please let me know.

next week i get to start the "oh so fun" task of "fusing" my 3.4L wiring harness with my 2.8L fiero wiring harness, so ill be sure to have the camera and like 10,000 ibuprofen handy!!

TbTalon94
12-29-2005, 12:22 PM
Alright i get what your saying now. If you have enough room there and adaquate air-flow then you should be good. You could always add a water-sprayer if it gets heat-soaked.

Stg4raddo
12-29-2005, 12:29 PM
Alright i get what your saying now. If you have enough room there and adaquate air-flow then you should be good. You could always add a water-sprayer if it gets heat-soaked.

why not just turn a DSM side mount in a A/w heat exchanger. you have more then enough surface area with a dsm side mount to make a good a/w all u need is some one to weld alum for u.

then its a matter of a pump that will flow around 11 gpm a decent sized radiator for cooling the water, and a water resivor. total system capacity of 5-7 gallons of water should do nicely

TbTalon94
12-29-2005, 03:36 PM
yes yes we have established the a/w intercooler idea. It has been brought up....said it was easy and probably the best route, but as you can see he has already chosen his path.

SO STOP TALKING ABOUT IT TYLER.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-29-2005, 05:20 PM
yeah... i would prooly go that route, but already have the FMIC and piping kit.

Stg4raddo
12-30-2005, 10:19 AM
yeah... i would prooly go that route, but already have the FMIC and piping kit.

OK since you are going to do the air/air intercooler.

I would recommend using a puller s-blade fan mounted on the back side of the intercooler.
This would allow air to be drawn across the intercooler at a stop. i can see the intercooler working while in motion but u will heat soak like a SOB if ur stoped for any mount of time.

u can get a s-blade fan from summit or jegs for like 60-80 bux and they will pull around 1000cfm of air across the interooler while it is turned on and u can turn it off while driving and it will spin freely and not block air flow through the intercooler

BlownPony306
12-30-2005, 10:59 AM
That and you could put a little fin below the intercooler to help scoop in the air in to it. Like on the old horizontal mount ProCharger intercoolers for the Mustang.

Like this.

http://www.fosin.com/fms/images/93C_2.jpg

on a budget
12-30-2005, 03:53 PM
thats a good idea!

sLoWnStEaDy
12-30-2005, 06:29 PM
That and you could put a little fin below the intercooler to help scoop in the air in to it.
http://www.fosin.com/fms/images/93C_2.jpg

thats a good idea!

hhmmm. you mean somethin like this from page 5?... :biggrin:

mount the IC there at a slight angle to help catch air, with a scoop to further assist in pushing air through.

EDIT: forgot somethin :rolleyes:http://i24.imagethrust.com/t/168892/crappypaintoficsetup.jpg (http://i24.imagethrust.com/p/168892/crappypaintoficsetup_jpg.html)

sLoWnStEaDy
12-31-2005, 10:44 PM
just an idea, what do you think itd look like if you painted it black inbetween the two style lines down the side of your car?
Dustin
that is what i was thinking, just because ive never really seen anything like it.
Dustin

like this???

not sure how that would look in black/blue... i still have a lil while to think about it though.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-31-2005, 10:46 PM
now that i read that again... are you sayin black between the "side molding" and the top of the "ground effects"?

sLoWnStEaDy
01-06-2006, 10:30 AM
got a couple goodies today.

T61 .60/1.15

40mm WG

DragonUSMC
01-06-2006, 10:54 AM
SWEET! I want a can of diet rite too!! :rolleyes:

sLoWnStEaDy
01-06-2006, 11:04 AM
cases where 5 for $10 so i have PLENTY!! i had to leave the store and come back though because they had a limit (why do they care who buys it, same amount of money either way!!)

do you want cola, tangerine, red rasberry, kiwi strawberry or black cherry? :drinkers:

i think i may have a few of the white grapes left as well :vom:

:biggrin:

DragonUSMC
01-06-2006, 12:05 PM
where from? wally-world?

I might be up in CR this weekend seeing snowstar is closed for the weekend and i busted myself up yesterday getting some new video footage.

Might need a ton of soda for hangin out at JJ240's house. =)

sLoWnStEaDy
01-06-2006, 12:41 PM
Fareway

not sure if its still goin or not though. i bought it all a little over a week ago if i remember correctly

TbTalon94
01-06-2006, 02:24 PM
Why did you get a 1.15 turbine housing.........

Drifte
01-06-2006, 03:01 PM
ditto!!!!

3.4l

sLoWnStEaDy
01-06-2006, 03:51 PM
well i was goin for the .84 housing. then i talked to a few people who have been down this path. i was told the bigger turbine would make full boost around 3000-3500 rpm. which is ok by me sense i have a stock transmission, i figure the boost coming in a little late is prolly gonna help save the trans. itll be more of a top end car. with the modifications to the engine, the .84 would fall up a little short high high rpms, around 65% efficient at 6500rpm or so.

plus, i have never owned a car without burying the speedo atleast once and well...
http://i49.imagethrust.com/t/189058/fierospeedo.jpg (http://i49.imagethrust.com/p/189058/fierospeedo_jpg.html)

TbTalon94
01-09-2006, 07:59 AM
3000rpms is pretty fast spool for a 1.15 turbine housing. I can almost gurantee its going to spool way slower then that. There are plenty of people making HUGE power with smaller turbine housings. I mean come on....that thing is fucking massive. Usually the Compressor side is bigger or atleast the same size as the turbine side. Rediculous.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-09-2006, 09:33 PM
i asked a couple times and no one had any input. dont wanna be a dick, cuz i like ya, but your kinda bein a "moday mornin quarterback". i value your oppinion, as well as a few other people on this site, but the advice seems to come after i have asked, gotten no responses, then just said fuck it and bought whatever it is i was looking at. only to be told i shouldnt have.

TbTalon94
01-10-2006, 09:41 AM
Well i never got a question directly from you asking what turbo I think would be good for you? I'm not trying to be a dick either..all i am saying is that turbo is entirely way to big for your motor. People use those turbine housings on V8's and Supras. All I am trying to tell you is that you made a mistake. Grant it that none of us gave you proper information or opinions but we are trying to help you out now. The turbo is still new, un-used and in perfect shape. You might want to think about selling it or trading someone for a smaller one. The compressor side is fine....its just the turbine housing which you want small for a decent spool.

Put it this way. If you put that turbo on...don't expect that fiero to be very streetable.....at all.

krustindumm
01-11-2006, 06:03 AM
is that thing from a diesel?

Stg4raddo
01-11-2006, 01:04 PM
trevor dont scare the kid he this turbo is 100% streetable because it will not spool lower than 5500 rpm or around there. so its streetable alright itll be like driving a N/A 3.4L untill 5500+ rpm

also lag saves trannys, clutches and axels cept i wouldnt recomend boosting in 5th gear with this due to 5 gears being weaker than all the other gears.

Nice turbo welcome to 5500-6500 rpm spool up specialy with a non ball bearing turbo and wat is porbably a 270* thrust bearing not even a 360* race bearing center section. im gonna vote for the upper end of my given rpm range for spool up

TbTalon94
01-11-2006, 02:07 PM
So keith you are selling the big turbo..

WHats the new one like?

Drifte
01-11-2006, 04:05 PM
looks like its for sale. but i dont see anywhere where input was asked for a turbo. i believe he was set on supercharged and then changed his mind and showed us the pic of a big turbo. idk what kind of hp numbers your hoping for; but a 14b has gotten dsm's into the 11's, maybe even 10's i havnt checked the list in a long time and forget what the address is.

bigger isnt always better.

logans dad
01-11-2006, 04:38 PM
If spool he wants is at 5500 why not just spray it. Put a button on it get a few jets till he gets it like he wants and save a lot of head aches.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-12-2006, 12:21 PM
lookin at a T4 60-1 wuth a 60 cold side and 84 hot.
people on the fiero site say itll be a lil small at 7K but thats my redline and i dont plan to push it too hard until i get my H-beam SBC rods in.

logans dad
01-12-2006, 01:29 PM
If your getting a turbo that big and takes that long to spool up run spray on it. If your going for something kewl do the aluminum buick V_8 swap. I just dont understand why your going at it the hard way but who am I to say. I know nothing.

TbTalon94
01-12-2006, 03:58 PM
If those measurements on the side are bars then 1.5bars is not 7psi.

If it isn't "big" enough then get a bigger compressor side....not turbine side. Do you understand turbos? Try going with something bigger then a 60-1 cold side. .84 hot side is fucking plenty for anything that fiero can put out. Take my word for it.

sLoWnStEaDy
01-21-2006, 02:09 PM
well, hasnt been much to update, as i quit my job like 3 weeks ago and havent reall had a lot of money to do much (main reason i sold the talon instead of fixing it).

but i started my new job at Advance Auto, so the cash flow will proceed and i should be able to update some more. for now heres what i got to add:

got both wiring harnesses and schematics as well as instructions for "fusing" the two together, so unless i get frustrated and hang myself with the harnesses, i should have that done in a few weeks.

decided to just buy a new turbine housing for the turbo i have sense everyone backed out of buying it. so now it has a .69 A/R hot side!

yeah... thats about it for now. also been workin on my neon a lot

sLoWnStEaDy
01-24-2006, 04:11 PM
welcome to my HELL!!!!!! i am fo sure a little over my head on this one!! wish there was a wiring expert that could do it for me, i have all the info, i just dont really undestand it! ne ways heres what hell looks like in my eyes!

http://i47.imagethrust.com/t/228822/34tdcharness.jpg (http://i47.imagethrust.com/p/228822/34tdcharness_jpg.html)

http://i48.imagethrust.com/t/228824/fieroharness.jpg (http://i48.imagethrust.com/p/228824/fieroharness_jpg.html)

sLoWnStEaDy
04-05-2006, 07:12 PM
FINALY!!!! a little something to update,

my heads and intake(s) are finished, i finaly ordered the other valve cover i need, and when i get my money for my neon 2marrow ill be getting:

-94-95 cam carriers

-getting my wiring harnesses shipped out to be "mated"

-sending out my ECM to be changed over to maunal trans and to "recognize" boost (no 94-95 cars with that engine where manual)

- Walbro 255 fuel pump kit

- Poly suspension kit

- Poly cradle mount kit

- Spec stage lll clutch

- LeBaron cross drilled rotors and pads (11.25" brake upgrade)

Once i get all the parts i HAVE to have in order to complete the swap and make sure that it runs, ill start buying the turbo stuff (have turbo, need everything else)

warchild145
04-05-2006, 11:53 PM
If ur going to update atleast get some current pics up to

sLoWnStEaDy
04-06-2006, 12:35 AM
i will as soon as i get my engine hoist back and get the garage cleaned up a bit. so itll be prolly sunday B4 i get around to it.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2006, 05:28 PM
well, i finaly got around to workin on it a little more, here is a "teaser" picture. should have the engine together in an hour or so. (not including accessories - alt. starter. A/C P/S etc.) ill be posting some more pics when i get it done. but for now this is all i have.
(as always, the camera doesnt really do it justice, i have like 5 layers of clear on all the painted parts, so they are MUCHO shiny)

http://i36.imagethrust.com/i/402749/fierovcover001.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2006, 07:07 PM
couple more pics

http://i36.imagethrust.com/t/402879/enginepainted001.jpg (http://i36.imagethrust.com/images/1GO3/view-image/engine-painted-001.html) http://i35.imagethrust.com/t/402880/enginepainted002.jpg (http://i35.imagethrust.com/images/1GO4/view-image/engine-painted-002.html) http://i35.imagethrust.com/t/402881/enginepainted003.jpg (http://i35.imagethrust.com/images/1GO5/view-image/engine-painted-003.html) http://i35.imagethrust.com/t/402882/enginepainted005.jpg (http://i35.imagethrust.com/images/1GO6/view-image/engine-painted-005.html) http://i35.imagethrust.com/t/402883/enginepainted006.jpg (http://i35.imagethrust.com/images/1GO7/view-image/engine-painted-006.html)

sLoWnStEaDy
04-14-2006, 08:56 PM
picked me up some rims for her too 17" X 7.5". pics below

Luminatorz34
04-15-2006, 08:27 PM
damn keith. that motor looks sharp. the only thing i would personally change, would be the 3.4l dohc cam, on the intake. not really "proffessional" like. but other than that, the motor looks sharp. keep up the good work man

sLoWnStEaDy
04-24-2006, 01:31 PM
have a little to update. I got the transmission mounted up, and sitting 2" or so lower then stock using 75 dodge mounts. the engine will be mounted the same way as soon as the brackets get here. got my steering wheel and cd player installed. got a mustang scoop, and drilled out all the lil honeycombs to make it functional (as well as cutting a hole in the rear deck lid)

got a bunch of other stuff as well:

my rims/tires
new inner and outer rear tie rods
front and rear brake upgrades
Walbro 255 pump
120mph gauge cluster-soon to be 180mph gauge cluster
alternator
starter

rims/tires: http://i61.imagethrust.com/t/2060/fieroprgress001.jpg (http://i61.imagethrust.com/images/xe/view-image/fiero-prgress-001.html)

trans mounted to cradle: http://i62.imagethrust.com/t/2061/fieroprgress002.jpg (http://i62.imagethrust.com/images/xf/view-image/fiero-prgress-002.html)

steering wheel/cd player: http://i62.imagethrust.com/t/2062/fieroprgress003.jpg (http://i62.imagethrust.com/images/xg/view-image/fiero-prgress-003.html)

mustang scoop/all the holes i drilled: http://i62.imagethrust.com/t/2063/fieroprgress005.jpg (http://i62.imagethrust.com/images/xh/view-image/fiero-prgress-005.html)http://i61.imagethrust.com/t/2064/fieroprgress006.jpg (http://i61.imagethrust.com/images/xi/view-image/fiero-prgress-006.html)

new speedo and tach: http://i61.imagethrust.com/t/2065/fierospeedo.jpg (http://i61.imagethrust.com/images/xj/view-image/fiero-speedo.html)

neons: http://i62.imagethrust.com/t/2066/neons.jpg (http://i62.imagethrust.com/images/xk/view-image/neons.html)

sLoWnStEaDy
04-25-2006, 10:21 PM
just got some more stuff:

flywheel
timing belt
cadillac calipers (brake upgrade)
11.25" rotors (brake upgrade)
Polyurithane cradle mounts

parts are jus layin in my garage, but i should have some more progress pics early next week

Ricky
04-29-2006, 11:33 AM
Were the hell are you getting all your money? You just keep buying things, its crazy.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-29-2006, 01:43 PM
well, im 19 with only car insurance/gas/phone bill and i make $450-$600 a week, so i have some $$$ to spend, plus i recently got rid of a few of my other vehicles (my neon and my continental) so far ive only spent like $1500 or so, itll be closer to $3000 by the time i done

sLoWnStEaDy
06-07-2006, 10:23 AM
well, i have a few things to update, however nothing of major importance (except fuel pump).

first off... Decklid, i decided to put a scoop from an 03 mustang on the rear decklid, to get a little more heat out of there, plus of course i like the looks. (not finished quite yet but im gettin there)
http://i71.imagethrust.com/i/27445/picture023.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

after a few layer of FG mat and some sanding, now for some "kitty hair"
http://i71.imagethrust.com/i/27482/picture028.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

then of course a bunch more sanding and a little more kitty hair, a very little bondo and a couple layers of primer... and it sits waiting to be finished (it is actually pretty much done, it looks bad in the pics, but thats just the bondo and shit showin through the primer, it is VERY smooth!!)
http://i72.imagethrust.com/i/77065/fieroprogress003.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com) http://i72.imagethrust.com/i/77068/fieroprogress005.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

got my steering wheel and gauges put on as well (originaly an 85MPH cluster) http://i72.imagethrust.com/i/77070/fieroprogress001.jpg (http://www.imagethrust.com)

also got the timing belt put on, as well as the 250LPH Walbro fuel pump and the flywheel, still waitin on my SpecIII though... adn of course the wiring harness which should be gettin back to me within a couple weeks.

biohazard
06-07-2006, 11:45 PM
Looks good so far man.

RandomHero
06-08-2006, 02:44 PM
looks good keith, it going to look really cool when its done. keep it up man.

TbTalon94
06-08-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm gonna have to agree with Matt. Lookin real good Keith. Keep up the good work man :bigthumb:

Ricky
06-08-2006, 11:33 PM
your building that thing crazy fast? cant wait to see it done!

sLoWnStEaDy
06-22-2006, 10:11 PM
have a little update, but no pics to go with...

got the new flywheel and SPEC III clutch put on along with the trans, hopefully the last time i have to unbolt the engine/trans!

my wiring harness should be done early next week, if all goes as planned, itll be "running" in a couple weeks. the plan is to make sure it runs before i do anything to it. and if its in and all is well, ill be putting the turbo/injectors/AW intercooler and all the other goodies on it.
Sadly ill only be runnin like 8psi daily and maybe 10-12 at the track. so far the numbers on 8psi are around 300WHP give or take 10-15. but that is mostly with the 36# injectors, FMIC setup, and well not much else. i have the P&P heads, and intakes, as well as the 450cc injectors and the AW intercooler. so im hoping i can get a little more.
When i return from college, i will be getting some H-beam SBC rods and a set of forged pistons and crankin up the boost. the goal is to eventually have a mid/high 10 second car. theres a guy runnin an L67 (3800SCII) on 12psi, i believe it was 316 dynoed WHP and an auto trans that just broke into the 11's so im pretty hopeful!!! the 3.4 DOHC has been provin time and time again to walk all over the L67.

wow... that ended up kinda long... SORRY

sLoWnStEaDy
07-11-2006, 09:38 PM
finaly once again i have a little somethin to update. i got the hraness back and "loomed up" 80% black loom and 20% chrome blue loom. got the the starter on and hooked up, made an idler pulley to take place of the power steering pump. got my A/C delete pulley installed. made another motor mount. got most of the wiring hooked up, of course with a few "ghost plugs' left stragglin which ill have to figure out.
uhm... got a few toys to help make my fuel lines (fuel line itself, flaring tool, bender, and some fittings) i am Hoping to get the fuel lines finished up tommarrow. I figured new walbro pump, new filter "new" engine might as well have all new fuel lines, plus now i can route them how/where i want so i dont have them snakin all over the engine bay.
also got a set of "coilovers" and mated them up with me new struts. extended some wires so that i can mount the ICM and coils to the car, rather than the engine block (cause im cool like that) Now as soon as i get it started, i get to pull it all back out and see if my injecotr idea is going to work. I have 6 450cc injectors i am going to attempt to use on the engine, i have to add the resistors to the fuel inj. harness and make sure they seal, as the arent quite the same as the stockers, however i do believe i have found a way to make them work. if not illl prolly end up selling my turbo stuff and repainting the car.

pics will come when i get stuff cleaned up a little, as of right now everything is just kinda "there" not really tucked away as i want it to be. hopefully some progress will be made before it hots 90* outside because i really HATE... HATE the heat!!!!!

Drifte
07-11-2006, 11:46 PM
well good work. it really wouldnt be worth the trouble if you didnt go and do something original like turbo or something. i havnt seen an outside pick of this in a while, but lowered it ought to look great. i would pull that nasty 80's rubber carpet out tho. with the injectors lots of people use stock dsm 450's outside of dsms. ususally all they need to do is file down the rubber bushings or something. (other than the resistor pack as well.) bring out some new picks with the whole car if you can.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-17-2006, 05:56 PM
WELL!!!! i finaly got the engien all hooked up (minus a couple vaccuum lines and such) and actually got to turn it over for the first time! didnt start by any means, but it did turn over so its a start. i heard the 255 pump prime and everything, the engien is gettin fuel at the moment, but no spark. So as soon as i figure out the spark situation i should be able to start her up, open headers and all!!!

hes a short, not so great video we made of the first attempt (battery sounds a little weak)

http://media.putfile.com/fiero-turnin-over

warchild145
07-17-2006, 08:22 PM
Looking good thus far, now how about you get a video of it running?

sLoWnStEaDy
07-23-2006, 09:49 PM
NAH! im savin that for a special occasion, like WHEN I GET IT RUNNIN!! :yawinkle:

well, couldnt get it to start, after a while i got frustrated, so i decided to do my normal body work (shaving). then got to thinkin... i did the timing at like 3 or 4 in the mornin, may be i should check that out. sure enough...

description: when timing a 3.4 DOHC, there are two cam carrier, each housing two cam. in the cams there is a flat side. when the #1 cylinder it at TDC that bank/side of the engine should have both flats facing up. Then you rotate it 180* and the other side of the engine should have both flats facing up (the first side would have both flats facing down at this point). Well i got it at TDC and all four of my flats where facing up. So i am gonna re-do the timing 2marrow and see what happens.

sLoWnStEaDy
08-31-2006, 10:19 PM

fine fine....
http://www.crunderground.com/viewtopic.php?t=8666

DragonUSMC
09-06-2006, 06:05 AM
i think this is my favorite build up thread... yay for updates! =D

Drifte
09-06-2006, 05:56 PM
yeah it is really interesting. as well as the rx7 build. which i cant seem to find now...

sLoWnStEaDy
07-17-2007, 03:12 PM
Well, i took the fiero for tis first REAL drive today. I was in Marion so i couldnt get too crazy but i must say the thing is pretty damn SICK!! I want to get to the dyno sooner or later but probably wont be for quite a while. Stock it makes 220HP or so (under rated i am told) I had the heads and both intakes ported and polished, and it has a "cold air intake" with some 24lb injectors. Took it to the straight road that connects to the Menards out here and opened it up. Burnt the tires all through first and second then they hooked just a little afterafter shifting into 3rd the Spec stage 3 clutch it fantastic!
I need to bleed the brakes (found that out the hard way) but wont be able to do that until this weekend as i have no help until friday. Also tit needs a new IAC so for now it idles at about 3K RPM. If i block off the IAC port inside the T.B. it idles just perfect at about 800rpm or so... It has a Thrush fibergalss packed muffler (not glass pack) and a FlowMaster 40 series crossflow and tail pipes that i stole off my my Trans Am before i sold it. I have a couple brand new fart cans laying around i may just plop on there to see what it sounds like but i dont know...
Hopeful i can get some videos this weekend. I am going to finish rebuilding my spare engien for it and hopeful this winter i can swap 'em out and smack a turbo on there like i had originaly planned but it all depends on what happens with the RX7, Charger and Torino... Plus i am hoping to get a BMW for a new D.D. as i am pretty sick of my '93 lumina sedan. We'll see

Drifte
07-17-2007, 03:16 PM
good its all done sorta. i still like pics. no posts without pics i think.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-17-2007, 03:20 PM
EDIT: This is when I realized a baby, baby-mama, house and 6 cars are too much to handle so I sold everything.

DustinsDuster
07-17-2007, 04:12 PM
i really dont like the hood....but other than that, looks like a pretty fun car...

Luminatorz34
01-16-2011, 08:35 PM
heres a bump for keith..i think its your first official build for it.

Deimos
01-16-2011, 08:37 PM
If you build it, it will go!

sLoWnStEaDy
06-29-2011, 12:16 PM
FINALLY made some progress on this thing! Sorry for the pics, they are from my phone. I got the old engine completely out and most everything tore off of it that I need to put on the crate motor. I want to get it all media blasted first though, get rid of the blue paint since the crate engine is clean. It is hard to get pictures when work is getting done! LOL

First, the neighbor kid thought this was pretty funny, 3 engines on the ground and four empty engine stands under the bench:
http://img29.imageshack.us/img29/9622/img00017w.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/29/img00017w.jpg/)
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5316/img00019z.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/19/img00019z.jpg/)

Meka found a nice, cool spot directly in front of the squirrel cage fan. All was good until she started farting!:
http://img838.imageshack.us/img838/9120/img00016r.jpg (http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/838/img00016r.jpg/)

Didn't get many pics of the car itself, LOL... Neighbor get was passing by and decided he wanted to help out.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/24/img00001l.jpg
http://img19.imageshack.us/img19/5274/img00002dx.jpg
http://img27.imageshack.us/img27/3203/img00018m.jpg

AutoMods
06-29-2011, 01:06 PM
I'll keep a IAF top 30 spot open for you ;)

sLoWnStEaDy
06-29-2011, 01:35 PM
I'll keep a IAF top 30 spot open for you ;)

LOL, better change it to "top 31" if you want this on the list! We'll see what happens when I hit the track, not hoping for much more than low 14's...

sLoWnStEaDy
07-01-2011, 10:48 PM
Got a little more accomplished before I got too damn hot and called it a day (after about 2 hours LOL).

I got the engine and trans pulled of the cradle and separated. Got the Spec stage III pulled off then realized I don't have the clutch alignment tool to put it on the new engine. I got the exhaust manifolds, A/C delete, Power steering delete and and tensioner swapped over. I also got the lower intake cleaned up pretty good and swapped over, with new gaskets of course. Didn't get ALL the paint off but I decided it was going to be completely hidden by the upper intake anyways so what's the point really.

I also started polishing up one of the wheels, I am VERY surprised at how good they still look!! Not really a fan of the chrome wheels these days and would rather have some staggered, black/polished lip wheels on there but what I have will work for now! Before I put it all back together, I am going to bed line the engine bay and undercoat the whole body. I also have to weld a new floor in the trunk as it was cut out when I originally built the car to allow for more exhaust. I just had a piece of 14 gauge aluminum riveted in there temporarily, I want to do it "right" now.
I also started cleaning up the interior and I am VERY happy with that! It was always pretty much MINT but looked like hell when I got it back, mostly just dirt and crap that is coming right off, luckily. They did some body work, no idea why but it is horrible, also not sure what is with all the primer. The wife said "he fixed a lot of rust and primed it to keep it from rusting again". Apparently she doesn't know what an ABS body panel is made out of...

Question: Should the clutch still be OK to use? it looks good, it only has MAYBE a couple hundred miles on it but it is like 6 years old now. I was thinking maybe just get a new clutch disc but it doesn't look any different than it did new so I am thinking I will just reuse it....

sLoWnStEaDy
07-01-2011, 11:02 PM
FYI: the PLAN is to have it up and running again this month. Really only about 10 or so solid hours of work but I don't have a ton of free time these days and I don't even consider going to the garage on the weeks I have Landon so... Basically, I work on my cars every other week and when I am not painting.

Drifte
07-01-2011, 11:08 PM
Ive seen a few bedlined engine bays and it doesnt look very good. Why not just por 15 in black?

Clutch should be just fine.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-01-2011, 11:23 PM
Ive seen a few bedlined engine bays and it doesnt look very good. Why not just por 15 in black?

Clutch should be just fine.

POR15 could work, might just paint it in all honesty. There is no rust in the engine bay, at all, some high temp paint would probably do the trick. I just have spray-on bed liner left over from my SPL days when I lined the inside of my boxes with it.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Update but without pics as I didn't plan to continue my threads on here so I didn't bother getting pictures. I got the clutch put on without an alignment tool, happened to have a piece of wood dowel that worked out perfectly. trans slipped right in, way easier than it did with the actual alignment tool the first time I did it. Got to love being able to just pick up a trans, align the shaft and slide it together without breaking your back! Only problem is the triple bearing deal on the passenger CV shaft got messed up. I literally have 3 spare drivers side shafts but no passenger, found one in Waterloo and i will be here tomorrow.

Got EVERYTHING transferred from the old motor to the new motor, once I get the cv shafts out of the way I can bolt the engine/trans back to the cradle, bolt it all in, throw on the fuel rail/injectors, exhaust and upper intake, connect the wiring and it should be good to go! the upper intake looked like hell so I was going to have it blasted but then I remembered I clear coated the hell out of it so I did a quick cut/buff and got it looking pretty again so it will stay the metallic blue, same color I am painting the car. I will get pics next time I got out (tonight or tomorrow). Crazy working on such a clean engine, not something I am really use to. LOLt

DustinsDuster
07-23-2011, 10:56 AM
i know you have a soft spot for this car, but i probably would've kept the Conquest instead. just a preference is all- i feel a see a lot more Fieros than Starquests.

+1 for originality though- keep up the good work.

sLoWnStEaDy
07-24-2011, 12:45 AM
i know you have a soft spot for this car, but i probably would've kept the Conquest instead. just a preference is all- i feel a see a lot more Fieros than Starquests.

+1 for originality though- keep up the good work.

i like both cars but, as you said, i have a sweet spot for this car and fieros in particular. The quest was fun but even at 14psi, i dont think it was as fun as the fiero when it had the stock 2.5L. Hell, i already like the monte more than i ever liked the quest.

As for this thread, i got it all bolted to the cradle and put in place. I only put the front cradle bolts in right now because i have to put new plug wires on and that is almost impossible with it fully installed. So, hook up the wiring, throw on the plug wires, fuel rail and upper intake and that should be it.

sLoWnStEaDy
10-08-2011, 07:00 PM
i got the new axles put in, got all the little things buttoned up for the most part. Tried to start it and it just cranked, no attempt to even start. Poured a little gas in the intake and she fired up and ran for a few seconds. I dropped the fuel tank, pulled out the Walbro 255 and found theinlet clogged with a nice little sludge. Got it cleaned out good, poured some WD40 through it and then ran fresh gas through it for a minute or two. The tank is dirty as balls so i just dropped the pump in the 5-gallon gas can to run fresh gas through the rest of the fuel system. I left it like that and turne the key, she fired right up, idles smooth and sounds great! I only ran it for about 20-30 seconds as i dont have the serpintine belt on it and i am not 100% comfortable with it as i have the gas tank thing rigged up.

Only thing i forgot is that it is a return style setup and i didn't have it all in the tank, just the pump itself so all the return fuel is on my garage floor! :)

86svo9L
10-08-2011, 07:17 PM
Congrats. Now get that tank cleaned out and see what she can do! Nothing feels better than that first drive.

sLoWnStEaDy
10-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Congrats. Now get that tank cleaned out and see what she can do! Nothing feels better than that first drive.

gotta break it in before i can have too much fun. First time using a crate motor in a build so i want to make sure i dont blow the fukker up on the first drive. Seems to idle really nice and smooth, has really good throttle response but i just blipped it to 3k a couple times.

I had to redo some wiring on the inside, put in a new ignition cylinder and toss the new steering wheel on. Apparently i am too use to my jacked up trucks and minivans/suvs because i just cant get in and out of this thing like i used to. It cant be much more than 4" of the ground i dont think.

I am really excited but i am trying to double and triple check everything so i dont make any dumb mistakes and break something due to rushing.

86svo9L
10-08-2011, 08:07 PM
Cant argue with that. It should be a pretty quick ride, guys are swapping these engines into cavaliers and such with good results and I would think that a fiero would have a weight advantage even on them.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2011, 06:45 PM
Finally decided to get off my ass and replace the rear hubs. Picking them up in the morning, along with some hard line so I can make a new clutch line. i SHOULD be able to take it for a test drive tomorrow, may be next weekend if not tomorrow.

Deimos
12-17-2011, 06:57 PM
if you need lines turned it to quick disconnects and stuff brent and I rock at them

sLoWnStEaDy
12-18-2011, 04:31 PM
well, i got the spindles off, removed the old hub assembly, painted the spindles black then installed the new hubs. Took care of my problems, just have to get it aligned again now.

Of course, two steps forward, one step back. Went to start it and didn't happen. Checked the fuel pressure and it wouldn't go above 3-5 psi. I jumped the relay and after a solid 30-40 seconds, it got up to almost 10psi but didnt hold. Time for a new fuel pump i guess. Maybe i can take it for a quick spin later in the week.

Ryan, l'll be shooting you a PM.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-29-2011, 01:46 PM
Well, the fuel pump was fine, just the line in the tank connecting the fuel pump to the fuel line was off. I decided to throw all the new stuff in anyways since I had it. I will keep the other pump around and probably build an "engine running stand" or something.

I didn't get around to doing the clutch line because the slave needs replaced so I figured I would do that at the same time. I also found that the shifter linkages are a little messed up so I think I am going to had to get those as well. Starting to piss me off, every time I get one thing fixed I find something else broke! LOL

sLoWnStEaDy
12-29-2011, 02:08 PM
Damn... I was just looking back in this thread, reading all the compliments and "way to goes" and everything on here and I feel like I let everyone down! LOL I have a paint booth waiting for me so hopefully I can finally end this 7 year long thread!

Drifte
12-29-2011, 02:21 PM
I just went through it, this build thread needs more pics! (I think I said that back in 05 too)

sLoWnStEaDy
12-29-2011, 02:35 PM
I just went through it, this build thread needs more pics! (I think I said that back in 05 too)

there was a ton of pics back in the day, I don't see a single one now...