PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding

hondacrxT
08-30-2005, 06:45 PM
I was talkin' to Dart the other day to see if he had a civic htch or CRX and this is the option he gave me. The body is in good condition. Comments please.

Dallas :hedbang:

dustin_crxsi
08-30-2005, 08:29 PM
buy the car for $500, and do a b16 awap in it, its cheeper..all DIY :supz: B18's are too heavy for that car, but after major modification.(to a v-tec head).Presto, an almost unbeatable Ls/vtec 1st gen rex.. :goodman: carb. engines that honda made wont get you much HP that comes in that car..unless its an si.. but other than that, do the engine swap your self, it wont be that hard.. it'll just take time..cv joints, tranny, ecu, wireing harness, motor mounts. radiator. ya know..the works, plus more hp in the b16. But with the b18..and a 1700 lb car..it'll do at least a mid 15. :drinkers:

lil krumm
08-30-2005, 08:35 PM
go with the $2000 one that already ahs a b18. wiring to put in a b16 would be a bitch, plus its a tight fit. it would be sooo much cheaper to buy the 87 with b18 and later on but on b16 head.

DJ0820
08-30-2005, 09:54 PM
buy the car for $500, and do a b16 awap in it, its cheeper..all DIY :supz: B18's are too heavy for that car, but after major modification.(to a v-tec head).Presto, an almost unbeatable Ls/vtec 1st gen rex.. :goodman: carb. engines that honda made wont get you much HP that comes in that car..unless its an si.. but other than that, do the engine swap your self, it wont be that hard.. it'll just take time..cv joints, tranny, ecu, wireing harness, motor mounts. radiator. ya know..the works, plus more hp in the b16. But with the b18..and a 1700 lb car..it'll do at least a mid 15. :drinkers:

Wow, keep learning.....

A B18 weighs the same as a B16. And has about 20ft/lbs(off the top of my head) more torque and about 30 less hp. I'm not even going to start with this, I'll let krustin handle it.

dustin_crxsi
08-30-2005, 10:47 PM
sorry.. i was thinking of the d-series, my bad.

krustindumm
08-30-2005, 11:14 PM

It seems as though you have never swapped an engine, let alone one that was not originally for the car. Seriously, I'm going to start deleting your posts if you can't at least attempt to research the answer before posting steaming piles of bull shit.

The 87 CRX is a 1st generation, there is only one company (HASport, http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mount%2 ... 20AFB1.htm (http://www.hasport.com/Products/Mount%20Kits/Mount%20AFB1.htm), $600) that makes B-series conversion mounts, and no-one makes mounts to bolt in the later [true] D-series engines, excluding the D16A1 from an integra, which will bolt in.

Only 1G Si's were fuel injected, but the carb motors are not useless. Converting to fuel injection is difficult,yes, but good power can be made on carbs, though it will be slightly less streetable. Even the Si's used vacuum advance distributors which means there is still alot of wiring to convert to a B-series (if you want to keep fuel injection).

So basically Dart is going to either install a D16A1 and tell you it's a B18 (because they look very similar) or he's going too install a junky B18, or he's going to use some jank ass mounts. a quality B-series swap into a 1G is not going to cost less than $2k, and Dart's not in this to loose money.

You should buy the car, and bring it to me with $1500. I could probably install a D16A1 with bolt on's (getting you probably ~130hp) for that much In a sub 2000lb car that wil go nice. This is assuming it is a Si model, if it is another model I would have to convert the engine to carburated (cheaper than rewiring and replumbing the car for FI) and that may cost a little more.

-Dustin

hondacrxT
08-31-2005, 10:43 AM
Dustin_crxsi, why haven't you sent me a reply on your PM, just wonderin'. Thanks for all of the advice.

krustindumm
08-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Oh, by the way, the engines that are in them WILL mke power. I think some of the SCCA GT4 class guys are making near 200whp naturally aspirated.

hondacrxT
08-31-2005, 06:10 PM
So should I get the stock motor instead?

dustin_crxsi
08-31-2005, 09:51 PM
Krustin, How long have you been learning about Honda's? And where are you getting this info from?

DJ0820
08-31-2005, 10:03 PM
Krustin, How long have you been learning about Honda's? And where are you getting this info from?

Ha, we both got into them a little over 5 years ago. Man that makes me feel old. The info comes from reading and some good old hands on learning. Not to mention knowing quite a few respected honda owners, who have gone on to make very informative websites ( http://www.homemadeturbo.com I have been talking to the proprietor of that site when he and i were just learning about turbos ) and open successful businesses.

krustindumm
08-31-2005, 10:19 PM
[quote="Dustin_crxsi";p="76832":e16c7]Krustin, How long have you been learning about Honda's? And where are you getting this info from?

Ha, we both got into them a little over 5 years ago. Man that makes me feel old. The info comes from reading and some good old hands on learning. Not to mention knowing quite a few respected honda owners, who have gone on to make very informative websites ( http://www.homemadeturbo.com I have been talking to the proprietor of that site when he and i were just learning about turbos ) and open successful businesses.[/quote:e16c7]

Werd, we both knew jeff back when he had just got his ZC, before he tried to turbo it. Also know the proprieters of some other very informative sites, like CRX Resource, Red Pepper Racing, RPI racing, and Exospeed. Got to know all of them because of CRX Resource actually.

So how about this Dustin3, when you get some hands on experience with a 1st Gen (which I know intimatly, since I've had a couple and strpiped one down to the bare chassis) then you can say you know something about them. Same goes for other generations & models.