PDA

View Full Version : Review on Megan Racing 3" exhaust (90-94 Turbo AWD)

TbTalon94
08-11-2005, 01:51 PM
Well i was in the market for an exhaust for my GSX. I had many different options. Main thing was i didn't want to blow 600+ on some bent steel with some flanges and a muffler. That is just way out of my price range for some piping, although expensive kits are extremely nice, usually fit perfect, come with warrenty, and are always good lookin!

After a few ebay searches I was debating on fabricating my own system. The AWD exhaust system is seriously simple. Mostly straight with a few minor bends. Well I just didn't have the time for that and peicing together an exhaust definatly takes lots of time :)

I opted to go with Megan racing products. I have heard a lot about their downpipes, mufflers, etc. I used one of their N1 style mufflers on my Talon and loved it. They have superior build quality, the welds are flawless and everything is polished stainless steel. NICE!

I ordered a 3" SS downpipe from ebay (just search you will find them) along with a 3" SS cat-back system.

Downpipe was $125 and Cat-back was $325. I was pretty reluctant to pay 325 for that cat-back. Well I got my system shortly after i ordered it, obviously stock parts and ship quickly, and i was undoutably impressed. Only taper in the system was bolting up to the 02 housing which is needed for clearance issues. It is 2.5" right off the o2 flange for about 1.5" and then goes right back to 3" and full out all the way back. The flanges are thick, SS, and come with gaskets and bolts! Bends were clean, obviously mandrel bent, and flowed very nicely. Hangers were in perfect spots which made installation very simple. Cat-back came with a 3" resonator for a little sound quality. Overall this system is just kick ass. Mirrior polished stainless steel is gorgious.

Only thing I didn't like was that the Flex section of the downpipe touches the transfer case (not rubs...touches). Also the downpipe was suppose to be a "cat-delete" pipe as well. Well yea that didn't turn out to be so. I had about a 1.5ft gap between the downpipe and cat-back. Sure enough Megan racing doesn't offer 3" test-pipes/cats. So temporarily a 3" galvonized pipe is slip fitted in there...well there goes some nice flanges :bawling:

Performance wise this exhaust is awesome. Turbo spools very quick and i have MUCH more top end then i did. Granted the car is stock, I do believe the exhaust lived up to it's claimed 20hp give or take a few. Butt dyno definatly likes it.

The exhaust isn't too loud, nor is it too soft. It has a nice steady rumble and sounds fuckin sweet at WOT. Muffler exit is somewhat like the Apexi N1 cat-back except a little less severe of an angle. I like it. Only thing is that the muffler is close to the bumper and points up...so you get some black marks on the bottom of the bumper, ah well.

Positives:
-3" stainless steel all the way (except 2.5" tapered at o2 housing flange)
-mirror polished looks awesome
-installation is awesome
-sounds awesome
-performs awesome
-high quality welds and craftsmanship
-built in resonator
-3" straight through n1 style muffler (5" body, 4"tip)
-price is right
-Warrenty included
-everything flanged w/ gaskets and hardware

Negatives:
-Downpipe isn't true "cat-delete" length
-muffler spits on bottom of bumper (easily fixable by bending some hangers)
-Flex section touches transfer-case

pictures comming soon

rysbrnr
08-11-2005, 04:18 PM
can you do me a favor?... if you can, measure the inner diameter of the perforated tube inside the muffler. When noryss has his blue GSX we put a Megan 3" N1 style muffler on it. When we got it, the inner diameter of the muffler measured less than 3"..maybe they shipped him the wrong muffler cuz it surely wasn't 3" muffler. Him and I were waiting for someone else to get a Megan 3" muffler so we could get an answer about whether or not they sent him the wrong muffler.

Drifte
08-11-2005, 04:36 PM
i had a megan 3" on my tsi. but yeah, after spending that much i would expect flawless exhaust.

pics asap

TbTalon94
08-11-2005, 07:09 PM
I'm pretty sure it is 3". I know the inlet is definatly 3". I have a 2.5" Megan Racing muffler for my Talon and it's 2.5" all the way through.

What exhaust did you put on his GSX?

rysbrnr
08-11-2005, 08:04 PM
it was a 3" cat-back. No resonator. It was aluminized piping with... I think there's like one 15* press bend that's it if I remember correctly. I didn't make it, a friend that runs a muffler shop made it for him. It nearly straight as an arrow except for the small 15* bend near the rear diff. The muffler points up and to the right. There's a Megan 3" muffler which only measured somewhere around 2.75"I.D. on the inlet. The downpipe is a true Apex-i N1 downpipe. They're made 2.5" from the o2 housing to 3" flex, and 3" flex to the cat-back. Apex-i doesn't have a provision for cat-con, it's straight 3" tubing all the way.

There's a couple inches of inlet tubing on the megan muffler, we took a measuring caliper and measured the O.D of the inlet and it was less than 3" so we knew the I.D. was definately smaller.... cuz the 3" custom piping that went to the muffler had to be reduced a lil so that it would fit snugly over the Megan's inlet.

RandomHero
08-12-2005, 07:11 AM
megan racing mufflers rule. i love mine.

TbTalon94
08-12-2005, 07:38 AM
You must have gotten a different muffler then. I have a spare 3" Megan muffler and it measures 3" outside diameter.

noRys
08-12-2005, 09:10 PM
You must have gotten a different muffler then. I have a spare 3" Megan muffler and it measures 3" outside diameter.

The muffler that I put on the car measured 3" outside diameter on the inlet. But inside the muffler, the perforated area measured slightly smaller.

Drifte
08-12-2005, 09:23 PM
you have a spare? wtf hand it over.

slo4cyl
04-12-2007, 06:52 PM
my AMS 3" dpipe touches the transfer case to. don't think there is much u could do unless you fabbed you own 02 housing and exhaust to move it over a couple inches, then you might have clearance issues with something else

boxmakingman
04-12-2007, 08:14 PM
http://www.ziptied.com/Coppermine/albums/userpics/10614/side_exit.JPG

Is it angled like this?

TbTalon94
04-13-2007, 09:15 AM
no, it's a straight tip...if that's what you mean.

Why did you route the exhaust up there anyway? So you could touch the frame to the ground and not crush your exhaust.

DragonUSMC
04-13-2007, 09:22 AM
its a track car... and its pretty cool to see the exhaust pipe come through the interior of the car...

s13kid
04-13-2007, 11:28 AM
Hopfully I'll hear your car in a few months? hows the progress coming on it?

TbTalon94
04-13-2007, 12:17 PM
I just figured he's probably running atleast 4" exhaust, and that doesn't allow him to get as "low" as he usually does.

Drifte
04-16-2007, 10:15 AM
got any interior pics?

logans dad
09-30-2007, 10:51 AM
Im a cheap old fux. My down pipe is up against transfer case also but from there to the muffler I went to storm steel and bought a 3" pipe and notched it for my bends and welded it. Then you will like thiis. The muffler was 2 1/2 inch inlet and I cut it out to 3" and stuck the pipe in about an 1/8th inch and welded it. Cobled yes but it got me into the 11.s so Im happy with it.

I think the pipe was around 30 bucks and like 6 bucks for the flange I welded on the pipe for the down pipe.