PDA

View Full Version : How to make a Cold Air/Ram Air intake for your 1g DSM N/T

TbTalon94
01-27-2005, 07:42 PM
First off there IS a difference between a Cold Air Intake and a Short Ram intake. The difference is that the cold air places the source of air intake (filter) outside of the engine bay. A short ram is just an aftermarket intake that replaces the stock restrictive accordion tube with a smooth pipe.

Ok I am going to give a good walkthrough of how to make a nice intake for your 1g DSM. Threes of course a few different ways to do this. A couple costly ways and a couple cheap ways. One thing to figure out is if you are going to keep the stock MAS or upgrade to GM unit. The GM MAC unit is 3" or 3.5" and allows you to place the filter wherever you want and get rid of the bulky stock MAS unit. You can get this GM unit from: http://www.punishmentracing-na.com/intake.html

On to some methods:
#1) Making a CAI out of PVC/ABS piping while keeping the stock MAS:
- This will require 3 90 degree bends and a straight piece. Go with about 2 feet just so you have some room to play. 3" pipe will suffice. Also you will need 3 couplers to fit over the PVC/ABS. Two should reduce to about 2.5". All 3 bends will have to be the ones that "plug" into each other on one end. Also some sealant for the pipes.
- Ok first take one 90 degree and shorten one of the ends so you can fit it with a coupler on the TB and have a decent angle towards the passenger side fender. Connect it with a straight piece of pvc then cut it short enough so you can get a 90 degree bend that points directly to that small hole next to the stock air box area. connect another straight piece just enough so you can get the last 90 degree bend to line up with that hole. Yes you guessed it...cut that hole bigger so you can get that pipe down there. Connect that to the stock air box via a coupler and the stock mas wiring should reach just enough. You might have to play with the lengths and adjustment of things to make it fit just right. Now once you have everything test fitted go ahead and take it off and seal it anyway you want. Apoxi works great. Hack your can or just clip on your air filter so the can part is gone and there you go! True Cold air intake.
- Now if you were going to use the GM MAF then just cut the pipe anywhere you want and place the MAF anywhere you want. Then you can place the filter once again anywhere you want. It is advised to go with a 9" cone to put in the fender if you go with the GM MAF...simply because they rock and flow a lot.
- Now of course any of these pipes can be replaced with aluminum or any metal piping but make sure it is mendral bent!
- One other thing. With the filter in the fender it is much more prone to getting wet. It's ok if it gets a little wet with rain or anything but do NOT submerge it in a puddle or splash it with large mounts of water. Just watch the puddles and you should be just fine. Wait untill you hear that bad boy takin in some air!

#2) This method is for those of you that already have a short ram intake (hard piping wether it's the Injen, Ebay, or Civic) all you need as an extension on to that. Get a peice of PVC or metal piping that extends the pipe and another that curves the pipe down into the fender well. Then follow the insctructions from method 1.

#3) This method is to make a short ram intake but surround it with something so it blocks most of the hot air from the engine.
- First if you dont have one already make the short ram intake out of PVC or Metal. Get 2 90 degree bends and one straight. Connect them together and it should push the filter pretty far to the passenger side. Now get some sheet metal and a little bit of weather stripping. Make a "shield" behind the air can so the hot air from the engine bay doesnt hit it. I would start with a cardboard model then trace it on the sheet metal and make it that way. If the filter is pushed to the side far enough then it should be to hard to make a "shield". Just cut a hole big enough for your pipe to go through then cut the top of the metal with a slope going down towards the front of the car. Trim the bottom so i can rest on the fender lining then shut the hood and see if it fits. If it doesnt then trim some more and keep trimming untill you can get as close to your hood as possible. Put the weather stripping on the top of the metal and BAM! THere you go cold air box! This is for the people that dont wan't to risk sticking the filter in the fender well, or don't want to cut the hole in the fender bigger.

---Good luck with making them and if you have any questions then just ask----

TbTalon94
01-27-2005, 07:46 PM
Here is a few photos of what it should looke like. These pictures were taken from a guy off of DSMtuners.com. No this is not my car. Just to give you an idea. This would be method #1 with stock MAF

http://www.zacfields.com/crunderground/Front%20shot.jpg

http://www.zacfields.com/crunderground/Side%20Shot.jpg

Drifte
01-31-2005, 12:51 PM
i've heard using pvc is bad. it also looks gay. so i would say follow the above directions, but use aluminum. and then get some couplers. i know easier said then done...but better be done right.

if you heat wrap the aluminum it will stay cold too.

trev..you forgt the last option...a big fuckin scoop under your bumper..hahhahaha lol

TbTalon94
01-31-2005, 01:59 PM
Lol hey that scoop worked above 65mph asshole lol. And that again was my brother's idea! Well actually mostly Rusty's lol. Yea i would advise to use Aluminum but PVC is really cheap and it keeps out heat pretty good. You've heard that its bad is because it puts out deadly fumes when its melted.....but trust me your intake temps wont melt the PVC and if it does then you dont deserve to be driving. ABS plastic is just like PVC except its safe.....just use aluminum if you can find it!

Carlson61588
01-31-2005, 08:15 PM
or you can get a 93 honda civic CAI and it is the same shape of what your trying to make. Thats what i did.

TbTalon94
02-01-2005, 07:54 AM
But you said yourself that its small in diameter. And it probably doesnt fit just right. Plus it was like 40 dollars or something wasnt it? You can make one for A LOT cheaper then that. I could get the entire pipe for like 10 bucks. Sorry civic intakes suck. All you guys are using the Civic short ram intake and that is the stupidest idea. It puts the filter RIGHT in line with the radiator fan. So guess what, when you car heats up....the FAN turns on and it BLOWS HOT AIR right into your filter. Go ahead...buy the civic intake. Why dont you post some pictures of it Carlson.

Carlson61588
02-01-2005, 12:58 PM
But you said yourself that its small in diameter. And it probably doesnt fit just right. Plus it was like 40 dollars or something wasnt it? You can make one for A LOT cheaper then that. I could get the entire pipe for like 10 bucks. Sorry civic intakes suck. All you guys are using the Civic short ram intake and that is the stupidest idea. It puts the filter RIGHT in line with the radiator fan. So guess what, when you car heats up....the FAN turns on and it BLOWS HOT AIR right into your filter. Go ahead...buy the civic intake. Why dont you post some pictures of it Carlson.No thats the honda short ram eveyone use's i talkin about the actual CAI. theres a pic of mine with it on. Sorry crappy pic cause i was using a crappy camera
http://www.zacfields.com/crunderground/intake.jpg
heres a pic of just the intake
http://www.zacfields.com/crunderground/AEMshortram.jpg

Drifte
02-01-2005, 04:26 PM
hey...i think he did something right trev...wtf is this boy coming too! lol

Carlson61588
02-01-2005, 04:53 PM
Thank you Colton. It works pretty well. I took it off once it started to snow and put the cheap $40 auto zone one. It sucks but once it gets warm the other one is going on.

TbTalon94
02-02-2005, 08:16 AM
Yes that does nice and i was talking about the Short ram...thats why i said the SHORT RAM intake. That short ram is worthless. Now that CAI looks good. How much was it? Also if you have ABS or a 90 with cruise controll then that intake will no work. You had to turn your battery as well correct? What diameter is that piping? Why did you take it off because it started to snow? How far down does that place the filter? Did the MAF plug reach easier? Carlson i recommend you getting that GM MAf. It would work a lot better and flow a SHIT load more.

Carlson61588
02-02-2005, 01:20 PM
yea i had to turn the battery 90 degrees and the pipe is smaller so i got a pipe fitter for each end. I took it off with it starting to snow, I didnt want to the the MAF wet. It plug for it is easy to get to. You dont have to exstend any wires.

RandomHero
02-02-2005, 10:27 PM
I took it off with it starting to snow, I didnt want to the the MAF wet.

what happens when it rains?

Carlson61588
02-02-2005, 10:28 PM
dont drive with it on. The big part with the snow was with it was deep snow that wasnt plowed yet.

TbTalon94
02-03-2005, 07:50 AM
So you arent going to drive at all when it rains. Your crazy. You have to completely submerge your filter or get it soaking wet for a long period of time. Get an AEM bypass valve. Or could MAKE an intake like thsi thread is about and place the filter right below the hole in the fender so its not as easy to get wet. They dont make and sell thousands of CAI to people so they can take them off or not drive when it gets wet.

DJ0820
02-03-2005, 09:19 AM
where does the MAF sensor end up with the CAI setup?

TbTalon94
02-03-2005, 09:32 AM
Well with my CAI it goes right where the stock intercooler would be. With Carlsons unless he cut the pipe it will stick it much lower.

DJ0820
02-03-2005, 10:24 AM
maybe he doesnt want to get the MAF wet?

TbTalon94
02-03-2005, 10:33 AM
That's why you get the GM MAF and the translator....good investment. Otherwise you put the filter as close up to the fender as you can then make a shield in front of it and behind it not to get hit by water.