PDA

View Full Version : Domestic or Import

Talon92Fox
12-26-2004, 07:53 PM
Which do you like better? General Domestic's or Import's???

Deathinnovember
12-26-2004, 08:24 PM
Bro, This is going to start a huge flame war and has been discussed in the past.

Talon92Fox
12-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Damn...if anything gets too out of hand I'll tell Zac to lock the post.

krustindumm
12-26-2004, 09:18 PM
it should be deleted now anyway, this is the worst thread ever.

Talon92Fox
12-26-2004, 09:38 PM
Okay this goes to everybody that reads this post, I didn't know that you had this discussion before, I just wanted to get everybody's views on Domestic's and Import's. I did send Zac a message on AIM to lock this post.

Ashley
12-26-2004, 09:48 PM
it doesnt need to be locked.. if you dont want to post on it, then don't. if you feel like adding, go for it. if it turns into a fight.. it'll get moved to the trash. simple as pie.

bowtiebuba
12-26-2004, 10:26 PM
why lock it we have to have something to talk about

Talon92Fox
12-26-2004, 10:33 PM
I just dont want to be blamed for anything that starts up.

Regeneration X
12-26-2004, 11:33 PM
fox, who cares if you started it? has anyone ever gotten blamed for starting a thread that ends in a fight? NO!

next on the list...DOMESTICS RULE!! and honda's suck. who cares about reliability, when you "soup" up a car, reliability gets thrown out the 22nd floor window.

But domestics arnt as reliable either, so theres nothing to argue. But a lot of you honda owners always argue about their reliability...but its only reliable STOCK!!! Once you turbo a car, beware for problems. its not going to be as reliable because there is more stuff to go wrong. look at krustin, hes always working on his hondas :)

But reliability, isnt the biggest issue as to whats better. You gotta look at the big picture.

Both of the 2 genres have looks, handling, and upgradability (word?).

But the big arguement is, which can you get greater power out of, domestic or import?
Most peoples answer would be...domestic, seeing as how they put out the big numbers. I see VERY few imports lower than 10s. But you see domestics doing it every day.

Its not cheap for either of them, but in the end domestics can put out more. Thats also because the domestics have v8s (cept for GN) and the imports have 4/6 cylinders. Some have 8 but not many.

But another view you have to look at is what the cars are built for. Imports are mainly built for auto cross/circuit racing. Domestics are mainly for the straight line.

So each has their own advantage/disadvantage. If was going to do auto-x i would go import, if i was to do 1/4 i would do domestic.

there are so many views/answers to which is better, but neither of them are better than the other total. You have to look at certain things.

The rebuttle?

4Banger
12-27-2004, 12:28 AM
But a lot of you honda owners always argue about their reliability...but its only reliable STOCK!!! Once you turbo a car, beware for problems. its not going to be as reliable because there is more stuff to go wrong. look at krustin, hes always working on his hondas :)

Depends on if you do the turbo projects as cheap/economical as possible or if you do a clean job with quality parts. Look around for a black honda del sol that's turbo'd with a fmic. It's lowered with rims and has some fuel upgrades. This car is extremely reliable, much faster then most NA imports, and it's a good sleeper. It turns heads with looks, but also means business. Not a 11 second car, but not a 16 second typical del sol either.

But the big arguement is, which can you get greater power out of, domestic or import?
Most peoples answer would be...domestic, seeing as how they put out the big numbers. I see VERY few imports lower than 10s. But you see domestics doing it every day.

I don't see many locals that have domestics that are faster then 10's. I know of some, but they've been modifying v8's for 5+ years. Most import owners are in the 16-25 range, and the majority haven't been modifying for 5 years.

Of my circle of friends, we've all been getting serious about modifying imports of the past 3 years and now all of either have a NA that's swapped or a turbo that's been upgraded.

I have 6 friends that have completed either H22a or B18c5 swaps successfully with good results.

I'm one of 10 that I know locally CR/IC that has an upgraded turbo, fuel, and complimenting mods.

Ouf of these 16 cars that I've mentioned, none of them run slower then a high 14. Most have never broken down internally. Most are daily drivers and can hold their own against Ls1's. Now that 454 powered chevelle, that's a different story, lol.

Not arguing, just adding to the discussion.

NitrousJunkie
12-27-2004, 12:31 AM
Personally I'm quite amused, I actually was talking with my g/f tonight about how this site has alot more import people that domestic, but so far domestic is in the lead for votes, I can bet that that will change soon enough.

Chris

DustinsDuster
12-27-2004, 06:58 AM
domestics are my deal. imports are other peoples. simple as that.

if i ever get a little better canidate to do a swap, i think it would be really cool to do the 4g63(i hope i got that right) swap into a D50. personally, i think i would love everything about it. it'd be turbo'd, fuel injected for reliability, 5 speed for fun, RWD and have a Domestic name tag on it.

it'd be just about everything i want, except maybe a little less torque than a V8, but with a truck that light, i dont think it would matter much.

Dustin

Regeneration X
12-27-2004, 07:21 AM
It would probably be better with less torque dustin, you would hook up easier.

4Banger
12-27-2004, 11:49 AM
To tell you the truth, I don't consider myself strictly import.

I would have to say that I love Forced Induction 4 cylinders. I feel like I'm starting the race with crutches compared to a stock 320hp corvette and limping my way ahead just makes me feel that much better.

If the srt4 was AWD, I'm sure I'd take it for a test drive to see if I like it. STI/WRX, Evo 8/MR, I like these kinds of car.

Ask Marc, he likes AWD now ;)

Personally, I consider my car to be american made. It was built in Normal, Illinois with American steel by American workers and the sales are helping the American economy. My car is an eagle, so technically it's a Jeep/Eagle name which is domestic. The ugly step-child to my car is a Plymouth Laser. I guess the Eclipse just has people fooled.

Does anybody even know that the Eclipse was never made in Japan?

Either way, I like import and domestic, but I'd prefer turbo'd 4 cylinder over v8 for complexity reasons.

RandomHero
12-27-2004, 01:03 PM
http://images.prosperpoint.com/663/34155-24404.jpg

MADE IN USA, this is from a 99 Eclipse - Domestic?

http://photos3.ebizautos.com/1269/567859_37_350.jpg

De Mexico? MADE IN MEXICO, this is from a 01 Chevy Suburban - Import?

interesting isnt it

DustinsDuster
12-27-2004, 05:19 PM
Sony TV's are made in Mexico as well. my car was made in Hamtramck, Michigan, so i dont really have to cover my ass here. perhaps DSM's being made in America is the reason they have so many problems....

Dustin

April
12-27-2004, 05:41 PM
I don't think Honda's suck adam! BUT....i guess i am biased

Regeneration X
12-27-2004, 06:26 PM
I don't think Honda's suck adam! BUT....i guess i am biased

what?

DustinsDuster
12-27-2004, 10:35 PM
she has a Honda, so she is partial to Honda. she has a biased opinion toward them.

Dustin

RandomHero
12-28-2004, 12:51 AM
my car was made in Nebraska

Deathinnovember
12-28-2004, 02:46 AM
Ask Marc, he likes AWD now ;).

Jesse I just love your car period. We had so much fun that one night and then that dude in the plymth chased us out of the parking lol LOL omg. I've always had mad respect for AWD I wish my car was all the time. But RWD are fun.

Regeneration X
12-28-2004, 10:36 AM
she has a Honda, so she is partial to Honda. she has a [i[biased[/i] opinion toward them.

Dustin

i know. but where is she coming from by saying she doesnt think they suck. i never said they sucked.

April
12-30-2004, 03:08 PM
she has a Honda, so she is partial to Honda. she has a [i[biased[/i] opinion toward them.

Dustin

i know. but where is she coming from by saying she doesnt think they suck. i never said they sucked.

Dude....I swear on everything that when I read your post it said something about how they suck....now that I go back I don't see it. I have no clue what I'm talking about. lol