PDA

View Full Version : The Amish

April
12-01-2004, 02:12 PM
So back a while ago Aeryn and I were driving in the country and we saw some amish kids and dads fishing. the kids were so cute! I love the amish. Well today aeryn and I were driving and then....we drove right through an amish community...it was amazing!!!!!!!!! then we turned around and this old amish dude waved at us...but it wasn't really a wave it looked like gang sign almost. at any rate....it was awesome. Aeryn and I love the amish. what are your feelinsg on them?

DustinsDuster
12-01-2004, 02:16 PM
believe me, it was NOT gangsign.

Dustin

April
12-01-2004, 02:21 PM
lol....it was a wave....thats for sure...and we waved back

DustinsDuster
12-01-2004, 02:27 PM
i dont think theres enough common courtesy in the world today. its good to see some people are still nice.

Dustin

Ashley
12-01-2004, 02:57 PM
i think the amish are normal people, i guess. it's not like they're a unique breed of people or something.. they're just people with a weird religion.. one of my moms good friends is menonite, and we've gone to their house a few times. it's really nothing special. they're normal people, they're just more family oriented than most people. maybe it's because i know people who are menonite, but i dont think the amish or menonites are really a big deal.

Aeryn
12-01-2004, 04:38 PM
i think the amish are normal too... but they're awesome... they have a bakery!! if anyone wants to, we'll take you to the community sometime... we can all make a fieldtrip to the amish bakery

DustinsDuster
12-01-2004, 04:59 PM
i heard they make really kick ass blankets. they would have to be to be to keep them warm in Iowa winters.

Dustin

Ashley
12-01-2004, 06:29 PM
uh.. czech village has a rockin bakery too, and it's like 5 minutes away, not.. 45. lol.

Aeryn
12-01-2004, 07:32 PM
but you see... there's no fun in driving five minutes... there is no way you can appreciate the music or the scenery... the ride is half of the fun

Ashley
12-01-2004, 07:52 PM
ok. you guys can drive clear out there for a bakery.. i, on the other hand, will drive down the street and get some rockin kolaches. lol.

DustinsDuster
12-01-2004, 10:13 PM
BAH! the Amish are alright, but you have to be a lot cooler than that to get me to drive 45 minutes to see them.

Dustin

melhoneybee
12-01-2004, 11:34 PM
i like the amish....and i have heard some bad things about that backery in the village...lol... but amish country are you talking kalona?

babygrlkw04
12-01-2004, 11:36 PM
here are my thoughts on the Amish, they do have an awsome bakery, they also make very cool furniture, i beleave that they work harder then anyone else does, they are very nice, and i have a lot of respect for them too. even though they live a different life style then us i think that they have more in many ways then we do. i know not every family is the same but i think that the Amish have closer families then some of us do, i mean the houses that they live in aren't that big if that family have many kids, they cook together ( the girls do anyway) they work out in the fields together (the boys) they grow their own crops and fruits and vegetables togther... a lot of the stuff they do the do together. i personally think that it would be awsome to live the way they do for a day or even a weekend.

Aeryn
12-01-2004, 11:46 PM
no... we're not talking about the amish around kalona... we were just driving up here by cedar falls and came across a small amish community.... by 105th street.

Ashley
12-02-2004, 06:18 AM
i like the amish....and i have heard some bad things about that backery in the village...lol... but amish country are you talking kalona?

what have you heard about the bakery in czech village? i dont think i've ever heard a single bad thing about it. my great grandma lives right down the street, so we used to always go and get breakfast there every morning (in the summers, i basically lived with my grandma since both my parents worked weird shifts).. and it was delicious. lol.

melhoneybee
12-02-2004, 07:29 AM
Um...more so like the employee's don't wash there hands... they have a cockroach problem... shit like that... nothing about the food.

April
12-02-2004, 07:37 AM
well....at any rate....i love the amish and i always will.

melhoneybee
12-02-2004, 09:33 AM
I wasn't talking about the Amish bakery..... I was reply to Ash.

Ashley
12-02-2004, 08:19 PM
Um...more so like the employee's don't wash there hands... they have a cockroach problem... shit like that... nothing about the food.

i'm calling BS, big time.

besidse the fact that i went there like every day with my grandma.. a girl i know works there. and it's actually a really nice place. don't always believe what you hear. =)

melhoneybee
12-02-2004, 11:06 PM
um...the people i was hearing this from was from people who worked there too... maybe it's changed in the last year though...cause I heard that a year ago.. dunno....

April
12-03-2004, 01:46 AM
a good friend of mine used to work there and always complained cause in the kitchen there is like an inch of grease on the floor

ZacFields
12-03-2004, 06:05 AM
eh, about the hand washing thing and cockroaches.....I'm not sure if those are things I would call problems.

Cockroaches are inevitable. Also, they're generally not a problem...it just sucks to have to mess with killing them and whatnot. The quiktrip I work at has some cockroaches. It's no big deal really. They're just like any other bug.

The hand washing thing. Firstly, every single person in this world has a different view on what is acceptable for the amount of times someone is supposed to wash their hands. I say as long as their not sticking their fingers in their butts and then wiping it on my food, they're alright.

Zac

DustinsDuster
12-03-2004, 07:03 AM
George Carlin had an awesome piece on washing your hands and showering in general. it went something along the lines of this:

"heres another thing. i know you all are going to have trouble believing this, but you dont nesicarily need to take a shower every day. its hard to believe, but you dont have to"

and

"i dont wash my hands every time i go to the bathroom either. the only time i wash my hands is when i shit on them. and that happens tops, TOPS, 2 or 3 times a week."

he also talks about he eats food that falls on the floor, because thats why we have an immune system, and compares his immune system to the US's arsenal. funny shit. i would host the clip, but its in the middle of an hour long audio clip i have of him.

Dustin

Ashley
12-03-2004, 08:19 AM
lol. exactly. people are just naturally not very sanitary. i know people expect healthcare and foodservice type people to be spectacularly clean.. but it's not going to happen. i used to work in a kitchen at an assisted living home before Quik Trip, and i couldn't count the times i swiped my finger through a thing of mashed potatoes or picked up silverware i dropped on the ground and put it back on the table. even at quiktrip, if i don't have a boxcutter to open a bag of cappucino.. my instinct is to rip it open with my teeth. is any of this going to kill people? no. is it going to make anyone sick? no.

i dont mind hearing about people not washing hands as often as ''they should be'' washing their hands.. partly because i really dont care (unless someone just got done pissing all over their hands or something).. because it's really not gonna kill me.

PrizmRacingUSA
12-04-2004, 11:43 PM
HEY.... YOU GUYS THINK MOTEL SIX IN AMISH COUNTRY LEAVES ITS LIGHT ON FOR YOU????

DustinsDuster
12-05-2004, 09:18 AM
i doubt they have Motel 6, its probably a lot lower than that, like motel 2 or something.

Dustin