PDA

View Full Version : Functional Side Skirts

93mazdarx7
11-01-2004, 03:33 PM
I am considering these RE-Amemiya AD9 Side Skirts to go with the front end I am ordering. The design almost indicates that they would be functional for directing wind along side or under the car. What do you guys think? Functional or not?

http://www.rotaryextreme.com/adss-4.jpg

http://www.rotaryextreme.com/adss-1.jpg

http://www.rotaryextreme.com/adss-3.jpg

Deathinnovember
11-01-2004, 03:37 PM
I'm sure they are functional. Plus they look way cool!

lil krumm
11-01-2004, 07:48 PM
sweet skirts man. bet thatll look real good on your car

Deathinnovember
11-01-2004, 08:21 PM
I've always wanted to ask byran. But what is your car running? (horsepower,quartermile,0-60). I've always been curious.

lil krumm
11-01-2004, 08:28 PM
the answer is 25. to all

03_CF_Blues
11-01-2004, 09:23 PM
i dont really see how those are functional unless you drive in reverse alot. they look badass though, and that would be good enough for me!

DustinsDuster
11-02-2004, 07:30 AM
i agree with him. i think most side skirts are designed to blow cooler air at your brakes, havent heard of many to direct airflow on the side of the car and what not. i could be wrong though.

Dustin

03_CF_Blues
11-02-2004, 07:58 AM
most skirts are out there for looks period, widebody kits trys to push away the air so it doesnt catch on the rear bumper wheel well, and then you have some like the mustang type vent that are aimed to cool the brakes a little.

03_CF_Blues
11-02-2004, 07:58 AM
most skirts are out there for looks period, widebody kits trys to push away the air so it doesnt catch on the rear bumper wheel well, and then you have some like the mustang type vent that are aimed to cool the brakes a little.

4Banger
11-02-2004, 10:52 AM
I disagree.

Most generic brand kits maybe, like Wings West, Erebuni, etc are only for looks and don't provide functionality, but the original kits and current high end kits serve functionality purposes.

Bomex, Veilside, Kaminari, all make models of kits that are directed to be more streamline.

Some let air pass through the skirt to allow for less resistance when cornering, some direct air at the brakes for cooling, some push air away so it doesn't hook on the rear bumper, some do multiple functions.

I've been sideskirts that can be put on forward or backwards, in fact, the ones on my old galant were like that and lots of people put them either way. The ones on my car were purely for show, they were Erebuni. Not XtremeDimensions, although they stole pics of my car and have became my bitch cuz I caught them, lol, free sponsor and 30% off for me ;)

boxmakingman
11-02-2004, 02:12 PM
Your car will never be low enough for them to be functional:)

Side skirts on track only and race cars can serve a purpose to help keep the air out from under the car, but this requires a whole helluva a lot of R&D not to mention a wind tunnel. While some companies test there kits in a wind tunnel, I would say the super majority do not. And why would they, to much down force could cause the milk to explode on your way home from the grocery store! And when you think about where the majority of air hits the car it’s the front end, not very much air hits the side of the car. YES air does hit the side of the car especially when road racing or drifting... but even then the front fascia and rear diffuser (or lack there of) make the biggest difference when it comes to drag to lift ratio. Also you have to put your car on the track in order to use the better lift and drag charecristics (sp?).

Also consider if they are larger side skirts, which stick out a touch from the side of the car, create a larger cross section for the car and MAY increase drag. (As speed doubles air resistance quadruples)

As for brake cooling.... well side skirts won’t help much if there isn’t a way for the air to make it through the rear quarter panel.

I vote NO for a street car, but also know that it can make a difference when a lot of work is put into said item, and not just theory but real hard data, i.e. wind tunnel.

4Banger
11-02-2004, 02:42 PM
http://www.geocities.com/jcmbmx/NewGalantPictures/OtherSideSlammed.jpg

http://www.geocities.com/jcmbmx/NewGalantPictures/FrontSlammed.jpg

Low enough??

but yea, those sideskirts are more for show, and those can be put on the other way too.

93mazdarx7
11-02-2004, 03:21 PM
Side skirts on track only and race cars can serve a purpose to help keep the air out from under the car, but this requires a whole helluva a lot of R&D not to mention a wind tunnel. While some companies test there kits in a wind tunnel, I would say the super majority do not.

The company RE-Amemiya is pretty much the world's best super tuner when it comes to RX7. They would be like the equivilant of Saleen for a Mustang. They race RX7s heavily in the JGTC 300 class and have a great record. That being said, I would hope they have some sort of R&D process with their parts, but I guess you never know.

boxmakingman
11-02-2004, 03:22 PM
Its hard to tell in the low quality pics but I dont thikn its low enough.

One your not tuckin any wheel, Two the front end has clearence to pull into places.

:):):);)

rysbrnr
11-02-2004, 03:23 PM
Low enough??Nope, not low enough to make a difference in drag coeffiecent and downforce.
Remember the Mercedes CLK-GTR that flipped over in the air? That car was less than 2" off the ground. Air got underneath the front end and flipped it like a coin toss. That car had many hours of wind tunnel testing. Mercedes was gonna pull out from the series because of embarrasment.

boxmakingman
11-02-2004, 03:26 PM
The design almost indicates that they would be functional for directing wind along side or under the car.

Well looks can be dciving, call Rotary Extreme or RE USA (if there is one) and find out if the work or not. No one here is truly gonna know.

P.S. I know who R.E. is.....

4Banger
11-02-2004, 03:29 PM
Its hard to tell in the low quality pics but I dont thikn its low enough.

One your not tuckin any wheel, Two the front end has clearence to pull into places.

:):):);)

I only rolled on 18's, haha. Plus the body kit added about 6" to the bottom of the car, therefor if I lowerd it any more, the car would have been on the ground. I couldn't even get the toe of my shoes underneither the ground (not Doc Martin boots or anything, just white sneakers).

Front end barely had clearence, but I scraped almost everywhere I went, which was extremely annoying.

No more slammed cars and kits for me.

93mazdarx7
11-03-2004, 06:17 AM
P.S. I know who R.E. is.....

:smoker: Sorry, most people have no idea.