PDA

View Full Version : Merge Honda and DSM forums with General Imports?

ZacFields
09-07-2004, 05:59 PM
Just need some input from everyone. I am going to try and get as many votes on this as possible. I'm trying to trim down the forums. I took a tip from a friend of mine who runs a larger set of forums that I should trim the forums down to only the completely necessary forums.

The mindset behind this is that you expand the forums when they start to get too crowded, rather than starting off with a bunch of forums that only get 1 or 2 posts per day each.

I just think that Honda and DSM are general imports. If someone says the words "general imports", Hondas and DSMs are what I think of.

The results of this poll are what will happen. If the move is made, all the moderators will be transferred to the general imports section.

I'm going to put out an e-mail to get more people here to vote. If you have an argument for or against it, please post it as well as voting.

ZacFields
09-07-2004, 06:43 PM
Come on guys....score is Yes:4 No:1

I'm only going to run this poll for a day or 2.

drfast4ward
09-07-2004, 08:13 PM
my answer is no

JJ240
09-07-2004, 08:15 PM
If no feel free to be fair and make a Ford, Chevrolet, Dodge, Nissan, and Toyota forum as well. And considering the MASSIVE amount of posts the DSM and honda forums get a new forum with general imports containing the DSM and honda forums would probably be completely overwhelmed with new posts. :roll:

ZacFields
09-07-2004, 08:26 PM
Personally I don't see the loss here. You have a general import and general domestic forum. All that information can just as easily be posted in those forums as it could in a dsm and honda forums.

If anyone has a good reason why they shouldn't just be merged...let me know because I'm drawing blanks and the score right now is 8-1

lil krumm
09-07-2004, 08:39 PM
zac if you do that would it be posible just for them to have like ther own folder in general imports so it doesnt all get confusing?

JJ240
09-07-2004, 08:40 PM
how would it be confusing?

rysbrnr
09-07-2004, 08:50 PM
keep forums separate,
It's better for tech help and model specific questions. why? because there will be a better answer:question ratio. You'll get more viewers per individual thread. Grouping all imports or domestics together will hurt your responses. Meaning...... if i post a model specific question, it 'll drop way down to the 2nd page in no time. and how many people scan through the second page or even bother to scroll down to the bottom of the first page? Then you're gonna start to have people starting to "bump" threads up just to get them to top to grab people's attention. Luckily CR:U doesn't have many veteran phpBB users that "bump" or even know what "bumping" means. I think the only person who I've seen "bump" is JJ240. CR:U will end up like the "honda-tech.com" forums. you'll read about 20 bumps between each worthy post.

my $0.02

lil krumm
09-07-2004, 08:55 PM
how would it be confusing?

alot more post are in honda and dsm than any thing esle and those might get all mixed, just tryin to see if stuff can be easier.

JJ240
09-07-2004, 10:49 PM
all you have to do is be specific in your thread title which everyone should be doing anyway, and it wont be confusing. This site does NOT get enough traffic to have technical forums getting overflowed just because they are general import.

JJ240
09-07-2004, 10:53 PM
In fact...numbers dont lie...lemme break this down. DSM has 20 threads, Honda has 10 threads, General has 10 threads. Those numbers are from the ENTIRE time this site has been up since the revamp. Thats barely enough threads to break 1 page total. How is that going to get confusing. Judging by the action in the clubhouse and peoples competency in dealing with it I think everyone is grown up enough to read beyond the first 5 posts at the top. If it becomes a serious problem theres always http://www.crunderground.com/search.php

rysbrnr
09-07-2004, 11:47 PM
jj , yeah you're right, this forum doesn' t see enough traffic to require a separate forum for each one. I was just thinking in general, it'd be easier to keep separate but after you broke down the total # of posts for everything, a basic domestic and import forum is all we need.

I reverse my vote and say combine the separate forums.

drfast4ward
09-07-2004, 11:51 PM
rysbrnr hit home with that 1st post, and i concur....Great answer By the way

DustinsDuster
09-08-2004, 12:02 AM
it seems fair to make the DSM and Mazda boards all general import, but the hard truth is they both do get a lot more hits than the general domestic board. id say no. or at least keep DSM separate.

Dustin