PDA

View Full Version : Is it an import...or domestic?

LaserGT
08-17-2004, 09:26 PM
So I am curious of what everybody thinks about this car. I already know its been critsized alot for not going for the ever popular retro-styling, and having conservative styling cues rather than being an in-your-face sports car (although the austrlian HSV versions are far more aggressive with 450hp). the Pontiac GTO. well the best part is....its not even a Pontiac at all. while pontiac is indeed a domestic name plate, the car itself was never designed or even built on north american soil. the GTO is actually a Holden Monaro CV8. built and designed completly by Holden with little more than LHD, a fuel tank adjustment and a pontiac badge applied. after one takes just a few looks at the car around...many things say Holden on them...the drivers door even says "Mfg. by Holden Ltd., Australia." same with the window sticker. so....thats my question, would you consider it an import? i would think so, and i find it rather funny that it has better build quality than anything else that gm currently sells in the states :D

2002 HSV 255 GTO (Australia)
http://www.mustangmods.com/data/8445/hsv_gtodevil3.jpg

ZZ4_Camaro
08-17-2004, 09:29 PM
It is stock and it's fast => It cannot be an import.

nuf said.

lil krumm
08-17-2004, 09:31 PM
It is stock and it's fast => It cannot be an import.

nuf said.

hahaha u make me laugh

Regeneration X
08-17-2004, 09:45 PM
first off...its obviously an import because its from australia.

but the new GTOs? they are half/half. they have the import looks, but the domestic power. they really did not put enough time into it. I would never get the new GTO. they ruined its muscle name.

edit: i said this "Now the dodge charger concept...thats another story. that thing looks bad ass!"

and now i take it back. I took a second look and dodge screwed this one over too. it looks like they took a stratus, neon, and viper...put them all 3 in a huge ass blender, and then poured them out to make that piece of crap. UGLY! I mean come on...its a FOUR DOOR!! wtf>!?!?

http://199.239.248.45/images/full/1999/s99021201/dg99ch04.jpg

now, were not done here. Chevy and Ford on the other hand put in some work to make their new concepts look like old muscle, but have some features of the new day. Take the 5th gen camaro. Has looks of the late 60s, but they changed it to look more present day. It has the nose and the rear of the old school camaro. But the curves are more present day concept.

http://www.arctiq.net/media/uploaded/old/Camaro%20Concept.jpg

jeeze, already got like 3 posts before i was done editing. lol

and here is the new ford mustang concept next to the old ford mustang. Just look at the pictures, old looks, new concept. Very nice.
http://www.allfordmustangs.com/forums/photopost/data/558/44conceptg001.jpg

lil krumm
08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
the gto looks like a mix between the cavilier and grand prix=ugh

LaserGT
08-17-2004, 09:51 PM
actually while the LS1 is made by GM in north america -- canada i believe, Holden actually modified it somewhat, so really only the basic LS1 design is american. the rest is all Holden. and i dont think its name has really been damaged, if it would have been continued, it prolly would have looke very similar to its current shape, it wouldn't be identical to the ones from the 60s. and next year it gets the new 6.0L LS2 with 400hp :twisted:

as far as the charger, that was unveiled in 1998 at chicago and then vanished for a while. i dont really see it happening anytime soon. dodge said the market for a coupe isn't very profatiable for them. :?

first off...its obviously an import because its from australia.

but the new GTOs? they are half/half. they have the import looks, but the domestic power. they really did not put enough time into it. I would never get the new GTO. they ruined its muscle name.

edit: i said this "Now the dodge charger concept...thats another story. that thing looks bad ass!"

and now i take it back. I took a second look and dodge screwed this one over too. it looks like they took a stratus, neon, and viper...put them all 3 in a huge ass blender, and then poured them out to make that piece of crap. UGLY! I mean come on...its a FOUR DOOR!! wtf>!?!?

http://199.239.248.45/images/full/1999/s99021201/dg99ch04.jpg[/list]

lil krumm
08-17-2004, 09:53 PM
wtf is up with all these 4dr sports cars?

its ghey

rysbrnr
08-17-2004, 09:57 PM
....and i find it rather funny that it has better build quality than anything else that gm currently sells in the states :D]build quality and american car don't belong in the same sentence. Since it IS just a re-badged import... it's still an import none the less. Build quality or not the, GTO is crap cuz "imports are sloooooooww"<----ZZ4 Camaro. :roll:

KooK
08-17-2004, 10:44 PM
Everything on it is Import but the engine and drivetrain. Thus, its over 50% import so yes, I say it is import.

BiziggumS
08-17-2004, 10:50 PM
yea well said gook, i mean kook lol

ZZ4_Camaro
08-18-2004, 11:30 AM
News flash - not every domestic is made in detroit and every import made in Japan.

What matters is where something is designed and engineered. With LaserGT's definition, Toyotas are domestics and almost all GMs are imports because some of their parts are from Canada.

rysbrnr
08-18-2004, 01:21 PM
News flash - not every domestic is made in detroit and every import made in Japan.

What matters is where something is designed and engineered. With LaserGT's definition, Toyotas are domestics and almost all GMs are imports because some of their parts are from Canada.Toyotas, Hondas, Nissans, etc. are DESIGNED in Japan....and only ASSEMBLED in the U.S with Japanese parts. A friend of mine works at the Toyota plant in Kentucky. They have very strict standards for quality control and rigorously test the cars before they are put on the lot. They aren't just cobbled together with poor designs and material like most domestic cars. That's why they are more reliable and durable. Comsumer Reports' annual car ratings issue clearly show that most japanese imports are better overall cars than most domestics like your Camaro, and even the newest models. The BEST rated car under the CHEVY nameplate is the Chevrolet Prism, and guess what kind of car THAT is?... it's a re-badged Toyota Corolla. It's slow yes, but it's a far better car than anythign else that has a Bowtie on it.

To me, a Toyota camry, honda accord, etc. although ASSEMBLED in the U.S is still an import car.... and an F-body, although built off U.S. soil is a domestic.

NitrousJunkie
12-23-2004, 02:15 AM
Its a Mutt! j/k there good cars.....just....dont stay moving....dsm. :yawinkle:

Chris

slow ride
12-23-2004, 07:45 AM
Most DSM problems happen from inexperianced owners thinking they can fix or modify something wright and can't. I've never had a manufacturing problem cause any of my cars to fail (90' Laser, 91 Galant vr4, or my Talon) People need to pick up an manual a little more often.

NitrousJunkie
12-24-2004, 02:47 AM
That is true (except the ole crank walk problem from the factory, but alot of companies have there only little problems, like ls1's piston slap in the early years, not like it hurt performance but was annoying, I'll stick with my Lt1, another reason is the lt1 is still based off the tried and tested old school block.

Chris

krustindumm
12-24-2004, 03:28 PM
Holden is owned by GM therefore it is a domestic regardless of place of manufacture, that's what the gov't says anyway.

Honda's are still taxed as imports even though most of them are built here. Same for Toyotas.