PDA

View Full Version : anyone ever messed with bonded titles?

Domestic Disturbance
04-21-2015, 06:54 PM
Might be picking up a bike from a buddy but it has a bonded title from California. No idea what this means our how easy it is to just get a normal title in hand. Anyone ever dealt with these?

Clinical
04-22-2015, 01:09 PM
Might be picking up a bike from a buddy but it has a bonded title from California. No idea what this means our how easy it is to just get a normal title in hand. Anyone ever dealt with these?
If it is already bonded and everything, then it should be fine besides the fact it'll say bonded at the top.

I had to get a bonded title for my honda ruckus because I bought it in Missouri where mopeds aren't issued titles, just sold via bill of sales. So I couldn't get a title the legit way in Iowa (was pretty pissed off at the shitty system there).
The title bond process itself is a royal pain in the ass just because of the time it takes. I had to file a $50 title bond through my insurance and then it took the state 6 months to get my title bond done. So I went 6 months from buying the ruckus to the day I actually was finally able to title it and plate it.

After that, basically the title bond is saying that if the legit previous owner claimed the vehicle they could challenge you for ownership. Usually this is nothing to worry about because the title bond itself is a fair amount of paperwork with an insurance company paid a bonding fee. Someone who commits fraud or messed around with a title bond - like wrongly trying to take it back from you or something would be in some serious trouble.

If the title is a good bonded title I wouldn't worry about it. The bonded title (at least here in Iowa) lasts for 3 years then the bond is removed.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-24-2015, 09:10 AM
Sounds like you got off pretty easy!! I had to go bonded for a '73 Mach One I bought, had almost a year of time and a couple/few hundred dollars invested in it already. Then it was going to cost me a good bit of coin (I think it was 10% of the appraised value). Had to have it inspected and appraised, then pay a percentage of the appraisal value to take ownership.

Finally said F* it, parted it out and made my money back (and then some) that way...