PDA

View Full Version : Poll - Keep RX7 or Build first car

86svo9L
04-28-2014, 02:42 PM
Have not seen any discussion around lately so may as well stir up some conversation with a Poll.

I am at a cross roads. Been tossing an idea around that really should be an easy choice.

The RX7 still needs some finishing. But is a running and driving car. It is a lot of fun to drive.
Basically I built it to hop on the LS bandwagon for a while. They always interested me and I enjoy trying out new things. Now I have and wouldn't mind heading back into the Ford arena.

My first car which is a fox bodied Mustang. I bought it when I was 16, drove it through HS and a couple years after. Parked it when I was 20 for a big block swap. Joined the Army mid way through parts aquisition and disappeared for the better part of 6 years. It has been out at my Great Uncles for about 8 years and it is now at the point of junk it, sell it or use it. (I have been back for a couple years now...)

It was rust free and fairly clean when it was parked, condition right now is questionable but still looks salvageable.

Essentially the Poll is should I sell the RX7, which is probably more valuable in parts and most likely will lose money on, to build what was my first car.
Or just keep on with the RX7 and let the Mustang go on to greener pastures(aka someone else or the junkyard).

AutoMods
04-28-2014, 05:08 PM
you just got it running. i think you should beat on it for a while. take it to the drag strip, autocross and/or drift it and have some fun with it. spray a little nitrous. cam swap. you haven't had enough time to experience the ls

less time project switching, buying, building, spending, selling etc. = more time driving/racing

86svo9L
04-28-2014, 06:08 PM
I definitely love the LS. It is a lot of fun and makes great power for what is all into it. Also would love to toss it around the track, but my toss up is that there is a short window before my old Mustang is gone and I feel as if it could be a major regret letting it go.

Maybe it will be better to remember it for what it was and not what it currently is.

JacobS
04-28-2014, 07:35 PM
was the mustang stored inside or out? id be weary if it was stored outside. ill agree with ryan and say enjoy what you have now. you say it could be a regret if you let the mustang go, but it may also be a big regret if you let the rx7 go.

JustinS
04-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Need pics of fox for proper decision making purposes.

86svo9L
04-28-2014, 08:28 PM
Mustang was stored outside. It is rough and had a cheap paint job done on it when I was 17 before my senior pictures which is now peeling. Right now my 2nd cousin has been out cleaning up his dad's place and hauling the old cars out of there, one which is my Mustang and asked me what I wanted to do with it. I initially said it would probably go to the junk yard but he asked if he could try it out on craigslist first to see if anyone wanted it and I said it was fine. Which is about the time I decided to actually think about whether or not to save it myself. The pictures he took are not all to great. But there is no apparent rust or anything, just looks dirty. No engine in it.

Feel free to ignore the stickers, I used to think they were cool...

http://i741.photobucket.com/albums/xx53/86svo9l/mustang79_zps3626dd35.jpg (http://s741.photobucket.com/user/86svo9l/media/mustang79_zps3626dd35.jpg.html)

JacobS
04-28-2014, 09:28 PM
eek, i dont think thatd be worth it. theres so much moisture in the ground that the underside probably looks pretty bad. i vote keep the rx7. i would have a hard time getting rid of a just finished project for something that doesnt run and would require a bunch of work.

Drifte
04-29-2014, 09:06 AM
Maybe it will be better to remember it for what it was and not what it currently is.

I think you know the answer. Sell it off and use the money to get the RX-7 parts.

86svo9L
05-02-2014, 08:20 AM
Well with overwhelming support to keep the RX7 and as thrilling as another project sounds I will be keeping the RX7. The nice season has just begun and it would be a damn shame to miss on ripping the RX7 around a track. So the Mustang is going to head out to hopefully a new owner or the junkyard depending on if there are any buyers out there.