PDA

View Full Version : how/when did you hear about CR:U/IAF?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-13-2014, 01:41 PM
If we already have a thread like this, delete it but i don't recall one...

For me it was 2003. Brent Johnston told me about it when we were trading my AE86 for his Integra. Don't remember exactly how it came up but it did, checked it out but didn't join until later on in like '04 I believe.

Clinical
03-13-2014, 02:20 PM
Google for iowa car forums when I first ended up getting into cars a bit, didn't register for awhile just kind of lurked the for sale section. Finally signed up in 08.

85XR7Project
03-13-2014, 03:22 PM
Joined when I had the Cougar after googling for Iowa car forums and then I was without a car to really play with other than the Checker we are restoring.

AutoMods
03-13-2014, 04:48 PM
i had my own little car video site i played with in college, ImportEvolution maybe around the year 2000. just played with websites since i was a computer science major. also had a really basic simple forum i programmed myself with 20 or so guys that hung out on there.

then i seen the cru forum software and i thought that was some pretty nice stuff. didn't join till quite a bit later. if i was smarter, i would've jumped onto the vbulletin or phpbb train and made some of the big early car forums like dsmtuners or ls1tech and raked in the advertising dough.

JacobS
03-13-2014, 05:58 PM
hmm....about 7th grade so 2002-2003ish? i was only about 12/13.....i dont think i ever actually posted until about 06/07 when i first started getting into cars though

85XR7Project
03-14-2014, 03:28 PM
i had my own little car video site i played with in college, ImportEvolution maybe around the year 2000.

I remember watching all that in high school.

Fire Hawk
03-15-2014, 12:39 PM
I was one of the first 10 people to join when Sean created CR:U way back in the day.

Deimos
03-15-2014, 04:31 PM
I think I was right up there with ya. I learned about it from the street races.

JustinS
03-15-2014, 09:04 PM
Learned about it from the street races and sitting in math class one person vouched for me to get me an invite. 2003-2004?

JustinS
03-15-2014, 09:06 PM
http://web.archive.org/web/20041217040603/http://www.crunderground.com/

Deimos
03-15-2014, 09:33 PM
;p brings back memories of getting trashed with Scotty.

Drifte
03-17-2014, 01:21 PM
Learned about it from the street races and sitting in math class one person vouched for me to get me an invite. 2003-2004?
Oh man I remember vouching for people so they could get on. Crazy to think how long ago that was. I had a talon, Derek had his turbo crx, and dustin had his turbo Honda, and we all took turns blowing them up.

Chase
03-21-2014, 03:36 PM
B-Bops. I think Zac had a sticker on his car, or maybe a friend told me? What im trying to say is im still pissed B-bops is gone..

86svo9L
03-22-2014, 07:15 PM
Heard about it from my younger brother when I first moved to Cedar Rapids in 2005. Ended up only being on for a short amount of time before joining the Army and taking a 6 year hiatus. Then got an email one day about it being Iowaautoforums and that I still had an account...So here I am.

It is nice to have a local forum to post on.

civicex_1134
03-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I was in 9th grade, so prolly late 2002. Rode around with Brett weber in his tan Saturn back when Trent was the fastest thing in town with his flat black talon lol. Crazy to sit here think about how long ago that was. I was 14yrs old back then, and I'm almost 26 now.

allgo
03-25-2014, 08:53 AM
I was in 9th grade, so prolly late 2002. Rode around with Brett weber in his tan Saturn back when Trent was the fastest thing in town with his flat black talon lol. Crazy to sit here think about how long ago that was. I was 14yrs old back then, and I'm almost 26 now.

LOL that car was never the fastest car in town..having a fast talon back then was like bragging about being the tallest midget..

Drifte
03-25-2014, 02:26 PM
Yea it really wasnt very fast, it had a big 16g on it and green painted parts.

Fiero
03-25-2014, 02:53 PM
A few years ago I was searching Google for a car forum in Iowa and stumbled upon this.

JustaGT
03-25-2014, 06:06 PM
slo4cyl told me to join up when I met him back in 08. I lurked for a long while and wanted to get to know some more people from the area and finally joined

sLoWnStEaDy
03-25-2014, 08:02 PM
Even with all his stolen parts/money, I don't recall Trent ever being that fast...

JustinS
03-28-2014, 01:24 AM
Who remembers Trent's talon that was painted like an american flag? That shit was awesome lol.

Scott
03-28-2014, 06:23 AM
;p brings back memories of getting trashed with Scotty.

This might be the reason I havent replied in here yet, I cant honestly say I remember how I heard about CRU or when it was... I remember the MSCA having their own forum initially and that was a shit show, then I think that brought around CRU for a more civilized forum so to speak, now we have IAF which is more of a cars and coffee show car forum than anything. Pretty sure this all took place in the early 2000's, there is some crazy memories in my head from that point of my life!!

Scott
03-28-2014, 06:25 AM
Who remembers Trent's talon that was painted like an american flag? That shit was awesome lol.

That was the 3000GT I believe

JacobS
03-28-2014, 05:04 PM
no, it was definetly a 2g talon. and i wouldn't call this a "cars and coffee" forum when probably 80% of the people here enjoy racing their cars.

AutoMods
03-28-2014, 08:33 PM
no, it was definetly a 2g talon. and i wouldn't call this a "cars and coffee" forum when probably 80% of the people here enjoy racing their cars.

trent had a 3000gt painted an american flag theme. i don't recall his talon being painted like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he theme matched that as well at some point in time.

About "cars and coffee" , Scotts just mad with the IAF event slogan .... "If you don't drive it on the street, you can't compete"

JustinS
03-29-2014, 10:44 AM
He had a 3000gt and talon painted in american flag theme. His kid drove the talon to Jefferson every day.

Scott
03-31-2014, 01:51 PM
trent had a 3000gt painted an american flag theme. i don't recall his talon being painted like that but I wouldn't be surprised if he theme matched that as well at some point in time.

About "cars and coffee" , Scotts just mad with the IAF event slogan .... "If you don't drive it on the street, you can't compete"

I think I was the one who said ANY car should be legal to race as long as you drive it to the track, and didnt you trailer your car?? I just figured if you have a street car event the cars should prove it by driving on the street 60+ miles, not by following your list of "street car" stuff that some older factory built cars wont live up to.

No, the reason I made a comment like that is there is no promotion of any racing series in here except for the IAF race, and maybe some highlights of the 10.5 class if something crazy happens. You guys can run it how you want its no skin off my back, but there are racing series all around us for drag racing, auto-x, circle track, or whatever and its never seen on this site. I just figured if the majority of members were actually racers there would be more "material" here for racers and spectators interested in following it. Maybe driver lists, qualifiers, ET's, crazy stuff that happened, finishing position, stuff like that..

The only people here I know who race, are people I have raced against. For example I now know JustinS races something, but no clue what or how often, or where...

JustinS
03-31-2014, 07:09 PM
For example I now know JustinS races something, but no clue what or how often, or where...
Ha! I haven't owned a car for three years now, I'm just here for the coffee.

FiFdYnUtZ
03-31-2014, 09:40 PM
Amen scotty...you can only discuss which air filter to run for so long...hard to believe a majority of the people who actually race dont post much anymore, or for the past couple years for that matter.

Clinical
03-31-2014, 10:53 PM
you can only discuss which air filter to run for so long...
The ultimate question here though... what one should I run?

Deimos
04-01-2014, 07:09 AM
This might be the reason I havent replied in here yet, I cant honestly say I remember how I heard about CRU or when it was... I remember the MSCA having their own forum initially and that was a shit show, then I think that brought around CRU for a more civilized forum so to speak, now we have IAF which is more of a cars and coffee show car forum than anything. Pretty sure this all took place in the early 2000's, there is some crazy memories in my head from that point of my life!!

I talked to little Lil Megster yesterday and its amazing how much we calm down. The hardest thing I do is drink Pepsi Max. A far cry from the HMI days.

derek072887
04-01-2014, 08:45 AM
you can only discuss which air filter to run for so long...

what else are you going to talk about since your whole set up is a secret.... Eddy B and Georgy have even been posting about their cars....

you want more people to post then post yourself, if you just want to bitch about people not posting then move on... simple as that

Drifte
04-01-2014, 08:50 AM
I sold my K&N, been running a 1/4" larger diameter "Vector." Gains are minimal, color is blue. Can see the filter through a bumper grill, 20 JDM points.

AutoMods
04-01-2014, 09:11 AM
I think I was the one who said ANY car should be legal to race as long as you drive it to the track, and didnt you trailer your car?? I just figured if you have a street car event the cars should prove it by driving on the street 60+ miles, not by following your list of "street car" stuff that some older factory built cars wont live up to.

No, the reason I made a comment like that is there is no promotion of any racing series in here except for the IAF race, and maybe some highlights of the 10.5 class if something crazy happens. You guys can run it how you want its no skin off my back, but there are racing series all around us for drag racing, auto-x, circle track, or whatever and its never seen on this site.

the rules were hashed out by everyone. and you were around when most of those discussions took place so you should know the reasons why it was decided to allow trailers. I've trailered my car mainly because i have extra stuff to carry for the event (trophies, table, family, etc) .

I just figured if the majority of members were actually racers there would be more "material" here for racers and spectators interested in following it. Maybe driver lists, qualifiers, ET's, crazy stuff that happened, finishing position, stuff like that...

people can post whatever they want, nobody is removing posts. i don't have time to post up anymore info then i already do but anyone can feel free to

Amen scotty...you can only discuss which air filter to run for so long...hard to believe a majority of the people who actually race dont post much anymore, or for the past couple years for that matter.

i believe there is some slowdown but facebook has grown quite a bit in the last few years. both facebook and this forum target local people and friends so its not surprising that some discussions and pictures are posted on facebook instead of on here. it is what it is.

Scott
04-01-2014, 11:46 AM
I talked to little Lil Megster yesterday and its amazing how much we calm down. The hardest thing I do is drink Pepsi Max. A far cry from the HMI days.

Wow thats a name I havent heard in a long time!! That was quite the little crew you had there Deimos. I miss riding around the pocket bike watching the races with a beer in my hand. Huge cluster fuck but it was still a good time

Molasses
04-02-2014, 07:54 AM
So...what kind of coffee do you guys like? OOOH, and like, what time do you go to bed? I like Dunkin' Donuts coffee and I go to bed right after Wheel of Fortune.

AutoMods
04-02-2014, 09:00 AM
So...what kind of coffee do you guys like? OOOH, and like, what time do you go to bed? I like Dunkin' Donuts coffee and I go to bed right after Wheel of Fortune.

if you're paying......I'll take a Triple Venti Sugar free, Non fat, No foam, extra caramel, with whip caramel macchiato. Then pour regular coffee down the side with 2 packs of raw sugar and a stir stick on the side

I have a race car in storage, so I'll be showing up at the car meet in my ford tauras fyi.

Molasses
04-02-2014, 09:06 AM
We're having a car meet?

DustinsDuster
04-07-2014, 10:00 AM

it was a 3000GT, and i remember he tried to get his "kills" to all autograph one of the stars on the hood. fucking LAWL.

Wow thats a name I havent heard in a long time!! That was quite the little crew you had there Deimos. I miss riding around the pocket bike watching the races with a beer in my hand. Huge cluster fuck but it was still a good time

I see Megan post on FB every day. she has a little girl now, and is living here in IA while her man is deployed over seas. It is crazy how everyone grows up and settles down.

I too was on the MSCA forum back when, and the place really was a shit show. entertaining though. Pretty sure Deimos showed me CR:u when the MSCA forum was in full swing, and along with Colton, Micah and maybe 1-2 others who are still around, i believe i was in the first 10 of the registered users there as well.

i've seen a lot of changes since then. seen a lot of people come and go. made a lot of friends. made some great memories. talked a lot of shit. had a lot of laughs. it really is pretty awesome to look back and think about how long you've been a part of something and everything that's happened to you because of it. two of the groomsmen in my wedding i met randomly at an afterparty in IC one night because they recognized the old fedora i used to wear and had pics of me wearing on the old board. Life's kindof funny that way.

APPLES355
04-07-2014, 11:03 AM
I joined back in the days of CRU after going to a few street races. Definitely some good memories that summer. The best part was Trent spending a lot of time that year to beat my slow ass monte carlo with a very mild 355 in his v8 rx7.

FiFdYnUtZ
04-07-2014, 08:47 PM
what else are you going to talk about since your whole set up is a secret.... Eddy B and Georgy have even been posting about their cars....

you want more people to post then post yourself, if you just want to bitch about people not posting then move on... simple as that

Wheres all of your interesting shit to read about? Nobody wants to hear about my stock junk

derek072887
04-08-2014, 08:01 AM
Wheres all of your interesting shit to read about? Nobody wants to hear about my stock junk

I'm in the same boat with the stock junk but you don't hear me in here complaining about lack of posts and not doing anything to alleviate the problem :)

Domestic Disturbance
04-18-2014, 12:51 AM
when will chekal and derek finally put a ring on it? They're so cute together on here.

I joined sometime around 05 with some old SN long before I had any business being here. It may have been the first forum I had ever been on. Some friends of mine talked about it and the "street racing" back then. I think the first time I actually went out there was some vr4 galant with direct injection n2o