PDA

View Full Version : junkyards you can walk?

sLoWnStEaDy
02-24-2014, 03:58 PM
I use to go to K's all the time and just walk around, get inspiration, find neat shit, etc... Ever since they became CC's, they crush shit so quick it's not much fun these days. I just spent a solid 90 minutes out there and didn't really see anything that got me excited except some huge old metal industrial parts way out in back but nothing I could use. I've got a couple projects going again and just need somewhere that is cool like K's, A-1 Imports and Duffield's USE to be. So, anyone have any suggestions? I don't mind driving a couple hours if it's worth it! Mainly just looking for something that isn't all 90's+ vehicle that have been picked over already.

Duffield's out in Atkins use to be a weekly visit for me, sometimes I would go months weeks without buying anything, sometimes I would spend $1k+. K's use to have a lot of older stuff in back and now it's just rusted/busted gutted out shells and newer vehicles. Last time I was at A-1 was when I bought a complete TII FC back in like '04/'05 and I'm pretty sure they closed shortly after that. They also use to have a lot of older cars and the 70's-early 90's imports I love. Sunline has some neat shit but they're INSANELY overpriced and I'll never spend a penny there and I don't think they let people walk it these days.

So, yeah... anyone know of some good bone yards in a 100~ mile radius that would be worth spending a few good hours at? Preferably a place I can buy stuff I like but if nothing else, somewhere I can look at old, untouched (as in not restored cars at a museum/car show/Duffy's kinda place) cars, find what I like and track it down online if need be.

RodneyPierce
02-24-2014, 07:46 PM
I would like to find a local salvage yard with some friggin G- Bodies in em!! Things are dime a dozen, you would think there would be piles of them laying around. Need a few "stock" parts!

AutoMods
02-24-2014, 07:56 PM
most ford dealers will let you browse their lot any time

JustinS
02-24-2014, 08:01 PM

badumtss

RodneyPierce
02-24-2014, 08:47 PM

Spot on!!!

snickerlicker
02-24-2014, 09:46 PM
Any LS fanboi can answer the question easily, that's where they find all their engines.

skipdownstairs
02-25-2014, 02:55 PM

Your so right Ryan

sLoWnStEaDy
02-25-2014, 06:47 PM
very helpful... as always

AutoMods
02-25-2014, 11:23 PM
very helpful... as always

if i had the answer, i'd give it to you. i personally don't like junkyards much. "time is money" so even if you get a good deal its hard to beat the speed of ordering junk on ebay or a forum. also a lot of junkyard parts seem to have a lot of weather wear on them from sitting around outside vs finding a kid parting out a fresher car.

heavy stuff like engine and rear end is all i've bought from a yard in the last few years. surprisingly my lq4 6.0 ls engine had been in inventory for 4 years at marshalltown but stored inside. my ford 8.8 rear was nasty. oil had turned to sludge inside. bearings rusted. god knows how long that sat around. but that rear was a planned complete tear down anyway with hot tank, new bearings, seals, axles etc so it didn't matter.

Drifte
02-26-2014, 07:01 AM
I used to have a lot of fun walking k's in highschool and finding random things for even more random projects. Was actually really fun to do with a couple of my car buddies back then. Our shift knob collection was off the chain. Turbos galore from cougers and probes for the turbo honda projects.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-26-2014, 07:03 AM
I don't go for parts like that... I go for ideas and inspiration and to take pictures as I am extremely infatuated with old, busted, rusted, torn amd abused cars that have been sitting for decades. There's something about a patina that took 30-50+ years to be created that I really enjoy. I'm big into rat rods and rat bikes and will hopefully be building one before too long.

sLoWnStEaDy
02-26-2014, 07:06 AM
Same here, Colton!! I've got piles of emblems, shift knobs and random interesting things. Can't count how many nice knives I've gotten, ammo, cd players, amps, etc...

sparkles
03-03-2014, 03:35 PM
A junkyard you can walk? Is there not a Ford dealership in your area that will let you walk around?

sLoWnStEaDy
03-03-2014, 04:11 PM
that was kinda funny...

a week ago, when Ryan said it.

derek072887
03-03-2014, 04:45 PM
A junkyard you can walk? Is there not a Ford dealership in your area that will let you walk around?
just a litttlllleeee late on that one Sparky