PDA

View Full Version : My new car

85XR7Project
02-18-2014, 07:53 PM
Well I finally bit the bullet and replaced the PT Cruiser (The Demasculator) with a new car. I like something you dont see often and lended on an 08 Dodge Caliber SRT4. Always liked the SRT line and now I have one. Been out of cars a long time so I really dont know what all I will do but at least I have something a bit cooler than the PT.

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/85XR7Project/2014-02-17%2016.34.58_zpsrkj0tdxk.jpg

http://i730.photobucket.com/albums/ww307/85XR7Project/2014-02-17%2016.35.09_zpsrxqwv98c.jpg

JustinS
02-18-2014, 08:15 PM
I've never read up on those, what kind of power do they put out?

85XR7Project
02-18-2014, 08:18 PM
285 Hp I guess. Probably the most I have had in a car for a LONG time. I really need to start reading up so I can do it right.

JustinS
02-18-2014, 08:20 PM
Not a bad little car then.

Drifte
02-19-2014, 07:49 AM
Looks sweet, I checked one out for my wife once before and it would have been awesome except for the torque steer. It was a manual too, probably 5 years ago, do they still make the manual option?

AutoMods
02-19-2014, 08:37 AM
very nice. we have caliber owners buy SPEC clutches through out ebay store occasionally. the neon srt4 market took off slow years ago but now we sell a good amount of turbos, clutches, JMF products to them guys.

Sleepy
02-19-2014, 08:56 AM
Congrats man, CSRT's are pretty nice.

One thing you will find out pretty quickly is the nsrt4 and the csrt4 are vastly different.

I want to say http://www.shoprealtuned.com/ is the largest Caliber parts supplier/manufacturer.

85XR7Project
02-19-2014, 03:44 PM
Cool deal, might have to get the modding bug again!

Stutz
02-19-2014, 06:42 PM
I have always liked those. I worked at a factory for 6 years that made the front and rear cradles for them along with the compass and patriot.

85XR7Project
02-19-2014, 06:59 PM
I enjoy the car quite a bit but there aren't loads of mods out there for the Caliber SRT4...

Sleepy
02-20-2014, 06:58 AM
No there really are not. I am not sure if a csrt has been in the 10s yet.

I was going to sugest a Diablosport tuner since its typically the first and most gainful mod on a neon and they do not even make them for calibers.

Drifte
02-20-2014, 07:04 AM
Is it the same motor? Its turbo, so the typical big gain mods still apply. Intake for important noises, exhaust and tune for more Boooost

AutoMods
02-20-2014, 08:47 AM
i remembering hearing about evo owners swapping the eclipse/talon computers just to run dsmlink. wonder if anyone has swapped the neon srt computer into the csrt

Sleepy
02-20-2014, 09:33 AM
Different drivetrain all together. The only thing they have in common is the name.

I should have linked this company earlier, this is the longest running neon parts vendor/retailer.

http://www.modernperformance.com/category/srtcaliber

Here is a link for the discontinued mopar stage one for the caliber. The photos do not load for some reason but some of the info on what the stage one improves.

http://www.modernperformance.com/product/441/

Sleepy
02-20-2014, 09:36 AM
Just found this thread, sounds like if you can find a used stage one ecu, a drop in filter and a a better downpipe you can dyno over 300whp.

http://www.srtforums.com/forums/f106/how-make-300-hp-minor-mods-caliber-srt-4-a-586302/

85XR7Project
02-20-2014, 03:07 PM
Yeah I was looking at a few parts at Modern Performance and their prices seem pretty reasonable. There IS a bit of stuff out there so I'll be taking my time and enjoying it as I go. I already ordered a blow off plate which is pretty easy to install by the look of it so its a start but I don't really want to go super crazy yet. 300hp wouldn't be a bad number in my mind, I know that I have read the stock airbox is about as good as a CAI so I may just buy a drop in K&N, Downpipe (Really dont understand why their price is so high on these) and exhaust at some point. I really didn't realize how much I missed doing car shit. I got some expensive hobbies!

Sleepy
02-20-2014, 05:22 PM
Cars are stupid expensive and compared to most guys on here what I do is beyond mild. Exhaust for the csrt and nsrt are way overpriced. The nsrt downpipe is completely straight with a 45 degree bend, needswings wants 400 for a 3 inch version with a cut out.
The nsrt factory air box is very well designed also, most throw a drop in filter and spend the money on exhaust since its 2.25 from the factory.

85XR7Project
02-20-2014, 07:27 PM
It seems the exhaust choices in some cases make these things sound super ricey and obnoxiously loud too. I'd prefer a little more noise but not that dirtbike sound. As far as the downpipe goes I wonder if I could have one made for less because $200ish for a short section of pipe with a bung welded on is just nuts.

85XR7Project
03-20-2014, 11:06 PM
Well I havent done much to the car other than a few badge changes, Mopar blue plate blow off, K&N drop in (Since all the Caliber guys say the stock box is as good as any CAI). I just ordered a Diablosport Intech tuner for it which should push it over the 300hp mark with the addition of a colder set of sparkplugs and my HIDs showed up today. I'm making a little progress here and there.

Clinical
03-20-2014, 11:12 PM
always liked those cars, still do - wouldn't mind daily driving one. Just seems like a good practical car with the potential to have some fun. I like them a lot more than the neon. Though since I still see them usually around 12k+ I'd probably just fork over the extra for an Evo for the AWD though it'd probably be older as well.

85XR7Project
03-20-2014, 11:36 PM
As far as power goes the CSRT has the NSRT beat all day long but I'd be willing to bet the NSRT will out corner the CSRT. Its a fun car for sure and I have ideas in the works as far as mods go but it certainly won't stop here.

As far as the prices go I think the Neon prices are retarded. I got mine for about the same price as a Nice (Not mint cond) Neon. I had thought about doing an Evo or something like that but I wouldnt have gotten the year range I wanted. Honestly I really enjoy the hell out of this thing.

Drifte
03-21-2014, 10:53 AM
If I could snag one the same color it would look pretty awesome in my garage. And I'd get my turbo fix.

JacobS
03-21-2014, 11:36 AM
If I could snag one the same color it would look pretty awesome in my garage. And I'd get my turbo fix.

and since the turbo is so small you wouldnt have to worry about spool!

85XR7Project
03-22-2014, 09:58 AM
and since the turbo is so small you wouldnt have to worry about spool!

These don't share the same turbo as the Neon the caliber gets a bigger TD04

Sleepy
03-23-2014, 03:34 PM
The CSRT does have a little bit larger turbo. They also make more power stock. However the NSRT picks up power quite easily. The problem most people run into when casually modding them is maxing out the turbo once they get into the low 300whp.

I like the CSRT, though I can't say I would ever buy one and I still think its dumb they dropped the neon and nsrt. But then again I am a bit biased.

I am glad to see you can get a diablosport tuner for it. That makes life much easier.

I think the pricing of the CSRT helps with finding ones that are not piles of garbage. So many NSRT's forsale have been completely ragged out. I picked mine up from a family friend, it has quite a few miles, however all highway and he took very good care of it for being his everyday car.

85XR7Project
03-25-2014, 07:08 PM
This thing got insane with the tune and it was way cheaper than reflashing the ECM. More boost and plenty more power makes this car ALOT more fun.

Sleepy
03-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Yeah I want to say the canned 93 octane tune perfected to your car on a nsrt is worth 35-40whp. That's a big jump for not a lot of effort.

I am glad you're enjoying it!!

AutoMods
03-26-2014, 11:42 AM
This thing got insane with the tune and it was way cheaper than reflashing the ECM.

isn't your diablo reflashing the ECM?

85XR7Project
03-26-2014, 03:42 PM
Yes but what I meant by that is sending the ECM and being without a car for however long it takes. The nice thing is I can edit things on my own. A coworker and I will be making a Downpipe (Using our CNC laser for the flange) and welding up bends and such and we will also be cutting out our own oil catch can out of stainless and bending it with the brake press at work, also looking into making my own traction bars as well. Sometimes being a machinist in a fab shop is a real nice thing. Call me a cheap ass but I think its a good way to go fast without shelling out piss tons of cash.

85XR7Project
05-04-2014, 08:33 AM
Well I had been thinking of improving the looks of the car for quite some time and had considered doing some plastidip detailing and this is the first part I came up with. 176617671768

I also fixed some minor boost leaks, and added a new boost Check valve.

85XR7Project
05-28-2014, 08:14 PM
Well other than some Plastidip and a true blow off valve addition (in signature) nothing much has changed although I have a bit of compressor surge to figure out. I'm in the beginnings of a divorce so money has gotten ridiculously tight and my plans of doing a FMIC will just have to wait. Planning on starting to attend more automotive events this year and recently attended the 4th Street cruise and have plans for Mopar on the Mississippi and if all works out Mopar Nationals in Ohio.