PDA

View Full Version : T56 Transmission Shops

Batwood
01-19-2014, 07:33 PM
I was considering have my T56 checked out by a shop before spring.
I pulled it apart when a snap-ring came off the 6th gear shaft and locked me into 6th on the way to CFR last year. Found part of a shifter key laying in the bottom of the case as well...
Combine that with my ability to stuff the shifter between 3rd and 5th gear at WOT, and I'm left wondering if I have a problem.
It doesn't grind or give any other issues other than that. Some say bent fork (after market steel fork shouldn't bend EVER) some say bad syncros (possible, but is fine 90% of the time), and some say bad driver (most likely).

I also need the case welded. When I got it, the rear trans mount flange was stripped out (easy fix) and shortly after I ripped the shifter right out of the transmission. The case is split around the 4 bolts that hold the shifter plate to the trans. JB weld and some over-sized bolts are holding it in so far. I'm not sure what the fuck previous owner did to cause this.

I'm not even 100% I'll do anything unless it breaks, but who would you guys recommend for a T56? For future reference.
I've heard good and bad about most tranny shops in the area and there are a few that I won't deal with any longer. Its a D&D built unit, but shipping it there would be expensive I'm sure. Anybody can rebuild a turbo 400 or a 4t60/65 but most I've talked to haven't played much with these.

8204Cobra
01-20-2014, 04:39 PM
Fountain trans?

BGjohnson
01-20-2014, 05:20 PM
Tremec posts all of their manuals online. I'd say take it apart yourself.

civicex_1134
01-23-2014, 05:12 PM
always gone to fountain for my honda transmissions... great customer service, good dead lines, never an issue. obviously honda trans' are a bit different, but still....

slow ride
01-23-2014, 06:21 PM
Its not that hard. If you have any questions you can always ask me. I just don't want one laying around my place while I'm trying to finish my own junk :)

Batwood
01-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Tremec posts all of their manuals online. I'd say take it apart yourself.

I had it apart when I fixed the snap ring. I was considering having somebody experienced looked at it. Maybe I'll just wait until it actually has a serious issue though.

DustinsDuster
01-27-2014, 06:32 PM
it's the middle of winter, and you won't mind if it's apart right now. pull the trans and keep yourself busy. you're gonna be bummed if something goes wrong in the middle of summer and the car is down for a while when the weather is nice.