PDA

View Full Version : Who builds auto transmissions in iowa?

Drifte
01-14-2014, 12:23 PM
Whats some good places I could take my transmission to locally to get re built? I looked into RPM from Indiana, and its extra shipping, plus shipping the core and at the point well over $3k. The parts to rebuild it and make it stronger are only $600.Monster transmissions only has a 30 day warranty. And I think most of these places void their warranty unless a certified shop installs the new trans.

Im about to the point of figuring out how to do this myself.

JacobS
01-14-2014, 12:49 PM
fountain transmissions do i believe

Scott
01-14-2014, 12:54 PM
Whats some good places I could take my transmission to locally to get re built? I looked into RPM from Indiana, and its extra shipping, plus shipping the core and at the point well over $3k. The parts to rebuild it and make it stronger are only $600.Monster transmissions only has a 30 day warranty. And I think most of these places void their warranty unless a certified shop installs the new trans.

Im about to the point of figuring out how to do this myself.

Do it yourself! Might want to see how many specialty tools you need first tho. and have a place to do it where you can leak tons of fluid all over the place

Drifte
01-14-2014, 01:03 PM
I have a friend whos 9-5 is building 4l60's. He cant do the work outside of work, but can probably steer me in the right direction.

FiFdYnUtZ
01-14-2014, 02:53 PM
Ive had good luck with performabuilt...but they are far from local

OldSkoolRCR
01-14-2014, 05:32 PM
PTC transmission, I just ordered my glide and conv. shipping was $120 from Alalbama

SaNdMaNsSi
01-14-2014, 08:19 PM
I'm pretty sure B&L transmission in CR could do it...

AutoMods
01-14-2014, 09:04 PM
if your friend does it all the time I would try to get him to help you. I also remember terry miller saying he liked Fountain transmissions quite a bit

DustinsDuster
01-15-2014, 06:55 AM
Fountain's has been a big name locally for a long time. Ive never heard anyone talk bad about them. They built my 727 back when and I had no problems with it, even when my loose stock shifter banged it back and forth between 2nd and 3rd a few times at full throttle going down the track.

snickerlicker
01-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Fountain's has been a big name locally for a long time. Ive never heard anyone talk bad about them. They built my 727 back when and I had no problems with it, even when my loose stock shifter banged it back and forth between 2nd and 3rd a few times at full throttle going down the track.

Don't have them build a Grand National trans, it won't last very long...

Drifte
01-15-2014, 11:59 AM
Havent heard of B&L, you use them Sandman?

I think I delivered parts to Fountain way back when I was parts delivery. I'll have to call around for some prices, I just want to know exactly what goes into the trans.

JacobS
01-15-2014, 12:07 PM
everytime ive used Fountain they tear it down for free, then call and tell you what needs replaced or what is recommended.

oVa-Boost
01-17-2014, 12:13 PM
Theres a member on here he got his trans done at advance in knoxville but 3k later broke output shaft so get a 300m out put shaft might wanna try them see what they say

Fire Hawk
01-17-2014, 12:21 PM
Fountains in IC built my brothers th350 and it's been beat on for quite a few years and still goes like it did from day one. They did an awesome job!

Batwood
01-17-2014, 08:27 PM
I've heard nothing bad about fountain. Aside from price occasionally. B&Lis directly behind 4 Guys. They are as honest as anybody and will be the first to tell you if they aren't comfortable with something. No complaints. They've stood behind work more than anybody I've ever dealt with.

Drifte
01-21-2014, 12:47 PM
So I have a lot of options. Once I pop it open and see whats wrong I'll know where Im sending it off to. I also just realized Sadler which is across the street from where I work lists transmission repairs.

AutoMods
01-21-2014, 12:51 PM
So I have a lot of options. Once I pop it open and see whats wrong I'll know where Im sending it off to. I also just realized Sadler which is across the street from where I work lists transmission repairs.

just make sure you beef it up a bit. never know if derek might call you out with his truck

Drifte
01-21-2014, 12:56 PM
I bet that truck could walk my SS. It will be beefed up significantly. But (and I know a lot of guys are gonna get down on me for this) it may retain a stock stall. Gas mileage, trans life, and towing ability. This is the family wagon, hopefully have some toys to drive around soon enough. This can just be the tow rig for when they come around.

derek072887
01-21-2014, 01:15 PM
I bet that truck could walk my SS. It will be beefed up significantly. But (and I know a lot of guys are gonna get down on me for this) it may retain a stock stall. Gas mileage, trans life, and towing ability. This is the family wagon, hopefully have some toys to drive around soon enough. This can just be the tow rig for when they come around.

You should bump up to a 3k stall converter. From my research it doesn't effect tow ability much other than some extra heat created from the slipping but once you are up to speed and the torque converter locks you are fine. As for drivablility you are more than welcome to come down and drive my truck and see what its like to drive with a 3k converter, there isn't much of a difference from what I can tell.

Drifte
01-21-2014, 01:47 PM
I know I can get away with a Yank ptb/pts 3200 easily on the street. But do I need it?...not really. It would be for fun, and 6,000lbs has its limitations.