PDA

View Full Version : New DD, poor decision

Clinical
01-01-2014, 08:33 PM
Decided that having a reliable daily driver with no issues that I drive every other weekend between Burlington and Cedar Falls was boring.
I enjoy wasting money and time so I sold my wonderful mazda (at over $1000 profit because I'm a jew) and picked this thing up. God help me.

Was a really fun trip - 8 hours total through a snow storm in a 2WD diesel with shit rear tires. Any time the trans would kick down it'd get us sideways on the highway taking it easy at 50mph. Still we faired better than many a car and SUV we kept seeing in ditches/on the median. Still, not a trip I'd do again if I knew it was going to get so bad.

Anyway here is the new toy. 94 TSi AWD. Fresh 6bolt. Stock bottom end. Fresh head with 272 cams and springs and arp headstuds.
2g maf, 2g exhaust manifold. 950cc injectors, 255 fuel pump ,dsmlink v2.5, medium sized FMIC, 1g bov, stock trans, act 2600, evo3 16g.
All in all, a very very simple build and exactly what I was wanting. Will get a few changes when I sell one of my bikes and have some extra money but in a general idea the build isn't changing much. Just hope to be able to have a little fun with a car again. Will probably buy another cheap beater with a heater when I get rid of a bike as well. Obviously long term I'd really like to make it quick some day but I don't want to get my hopes up, knowing me I'll end up running into money or something what with school and all and end up posting it for sale and hating myself for selling it like I've done with the last 2 DSM's I liked. Heres to hoping this one sticks around.

Anyways, car runs and drives great. Motor checked out awesome on a compression test. However does have an idle surge issue and needs tuned. So planning to do a boost leak test and sort out the idle issue and then try to do some tuning on it if I haven't gotten too rusty with DSMLink.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1492355_10202108220720767_819040975_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1073749_10202108220280756_1890841428_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1500782_10202108205200379_1978347878_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1493580_10202108475727142_560819962_o.jpg

washed it when I got home, probably going to freeze but wanted to get all the salt off it the truck threw onto it
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1502202_10202110691382532_2126018471_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1496408_10202110690662514_717746177_o.jpg

86svo9L
01-01-2014, 08:38 PM
Nice looking DSM!

Should be pretty quick with those mods.

Clinical
01-01-2014, 09:26 PM
thanks, she's definitely a clean one. Exterior is near perfect, interior just needs cleaning. Though driver side leather seat has some wear, I might try to find a replacement in the summer.

It's completely untuned and running on stock boost, so around 12lbs. Leaving it on stock boost until April.
I mainly just want to get a tial 38mm wastegate on it, upgrade to dsmlink v3, and maybe some evo 8 wheels or stock 2g GST wheels. But that stuff can all wait, my focus is just for it to get me through a school semester first or until I can sell a bike.

slow ride
01-02-2014, 06:15 AM
it's a 11 second car on race gas or e85. I'd want power steering back on it at least. How much was it?

Drifte
01-02-2014, 07:43 AM
Cool deal, idle surge should be an easy fix. Looks ready for e85

skipdownstairs
01-02-2014, 07:54 AM
Im still a lover nice car man

Clinical
01-02-2014, 10:03 AM
power steering probably wont go back on it, at least no plans for it right now.
My first AWD talon was Colton's and it had no power steering and I grew to like the extra space and after awhile I preferred the no power steering compared to how floaty 1g power steering has always felt to me. I might just try to get a manual rack for it at the most.

Car certainly has potential to be quick as it is but I like to have plenty of breathing room especially if I'm trying to keep it a somewhat solid DD.

I gave $3500 for it. A fair deal - I mostly wanted it for its body. Though I do have the aforementioned issues to work out and then today I also believe I see it has a charging system issue. I'm hoping it's just battery but based on how it's acting I'm suspicious of the alternator. Also the battery is a rear mount setup which is completely janky. It's just sitting loose. I need to find a battery box for it and rig up a solid setup for it, come summer I'll probably put it back up front.

Also I didn't even realize until halfway home looking back at the car on the trailer it has no wipers. No motor, no wiper arms, etc. I found it all in the bottom of the parts box. I'm not even sure if I have all the screws and stuff for it or not. I never imagined I'd have to put wiper arms/motor back in and I can't come up with a diagram or anything to save my life. I definitely need to get them back on with this weather we've been having. Wish I knew how they came out so I knew how to get them back in or at least had a buddy with a 1g around to look at.

Just hoping I can get everything ironed out before I go back to Cedar Falls on the 10th because as of now it's not really suited to be daily driven. REALLY needs tuned but I need to get the idled sorted and I swear it has to have some serious boost/vacuum leaks going on. I wouldn't be so worried about fixing everything if it wasn't so damn cold. I can barely spend a few minutes in my garage just to put plates on it. Our shop is heated but john & brads cars are in it and I guess they aren't able to be rolled so I'm stuck in my garage. Hoping we get a couple warmer days here that I can really tackle it.
For now just going to see if I need a new battery or alternator and see if maybe I have a bad ISC motor or something causing my idle. Speaking of which here's a video of it, ignore the eminem cd previous owner left for me haha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ1Ugim901w

slow ride
01-02-2014, 10:36 AM
TB shaft seals leak and so does the BISS o-ring. It's probably the ISC which you can sometimes make one good one out of two bad ones if you combine the two working coils. It could also be the FIAV wax pellet type deal in the lower TB housing that has coolant run through it. Cars are getting old so lots of crap to deal with. I'd make sure the TB has coolant running to it as I always had weird idle on my cars when I tried to bypass the TB.

AutoMods
01-02-2014, 11:14 AM
nice. i like the color. can you do us a favor and break george's 11.2ish ??? dsm record. he keeps holding that over our heads

Clinical
01-02-2014, 03:13 PM
you going to sponser me? Give me ~$3k and I'll get on that haha.
Maybe someday. Hopefully I'll have it long enough, my biggest fear is I end up forced into selling it due to finances with school or something like what happened with my TA. The main reason I'm trying to not dump money into it until I'm feeling more comfortable financially.

Clinical
01-02-2014, 04:37 PM
couple daytime pictures today
dirty already since last night
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1501337_10202115491822540_1440689663_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1529795_10202115494982619_1373239125_o.jpg

Xboosted23X
01-02-2014, 09:38 PM
Looks like a nice pick up. A clean 1g is getting really hard to find that's for sure.

Drifte
01-03-2014, 03:10 PM
I watch for clean 1g's and they seem to be fairly expensive for what you get. Yours appears to have some nice paint on it still.

Best luck I had with every DSM I went through was blocking off the coolant lines to the TB, and collecting ISC motors. Never an idle issue in them once the ISC coils tested out good.

Power steering is nice in those cars, they feel numb either way in my opinion. best solution being powersteering, wider tires, fresh poly bushings. As for the wiper assembly, Brent and I have had those in and out, pretty straight forward assembly. I think once you see it you'll get it, but the brutal cold leaves no room for patience. I'll ask brent if he has any ISC motors left, I think I piled all my parts into the parts car I sent off with him.

skipdownstairs
01-03-2014, 04:06 PM
What does the poor decision part of the topic mean??

Clinical
01-03-2014, 04:17 PM
That'd be awesome Colton, I Pm'd him about a battery box and I think maybe I did mention the ISC but either way if you can let him know that'd be great because Im not sure he checks too frequently here. I also plan to pick up his trans soon as I sell a bike and have some extra money. Mine is fine but I'd love a backup and maybe would like to test myself and do a small-diy-built trans on it.

This talon does already have the coolant bypass done to the throttle body. Anyways Im getting my garage heater back from Andy (fox mustang guy here) tonight, and I'm going to go ahead and take off the ISC. Also going to go see if I can get parts together to make a new boost leak tester and check everything. Did pick up a new battery today and seemed to fix my starting issues, seemed like there was more to it based of past experience with DSM alternators/starters but glad the battery seemed to fix it.

Wasn't going to mess with the tune till I have everything checked, but I saw that the fuel setup was pretty off for my 950s so I went ahead and put in the correct values for the deadtime and such and it drives a lot better around town already. I zero'd out the timing and fuel and put in some extra fuel and decided to get into it a little bit, it's okay for now. Still not enough that I trust doing any pulls or anything, that can wall wait till I check for boost leaks / get the idle issue sorted.

Just am hoping nothing essential has been eliminated especially when it comes to the wipers. Seems like someone was planning to go all "race-car" with this thing at one point. At least the heat works!

Poor decision just the fact I sold my perfect no-problem mazda that was a champ for my 6 hours of driving every other weekend, for a DSM haha.

slow ride
01-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Some of the passages under the TB allow air to pass the FIAV which is strictly mechanical. It allows more air to pass on a cold start up and will close off when warm which having coolant to the TB helps. After warm the ISC does everything else for idle control. It's probably not that noticeable, but if you were to block it off then warm up the car, have it idle normally, then hit the highway on a cold day you might see the idle speed high when you let the car idle since the TB got so cool from the intake air. It would drop back down in a few minutes due to radiant heat from the engine.

I think I was the first person in history to rebuild a ISC or at least post about it. I remember way back in the day asking Busher and Sean at Extreme Motorsports and they couldn't figure out my low idle problem. My ISC coils tested good, but when they would warm up one leg would open up. I would always heat up the ISC with a torch, etc and then measure them after that when I sold a rebuilt one.

Sleeping
01-03-2014, 11:04 PM
Heres pic of car when I owned it. Nice to see its still holding up well. After changing hands a couple times since then. Seems like alot has changed also since I owned it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/SleepingCRX88/P8090451.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/SleepingCRX88/media/P8090451.jpg.html)

AutoMods
01-03-2014, 11:36 PM
Heres pic of car when I owned it. Nice to see its still holding up well. After changing hands a couple times since then. Seems like alot has changed also since I owned it.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/SleepingCRX88/P8090451.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/SleepingCRX88/media/P8090451.jpg.html)

i see you have a number on the window, what did it run?

Sleeping
01-03-2014, 11:45 PM
To be honest. I don't remember. Might ran 11.XX at one time. Never really made many track passes. Was always changing/adding parts to the setup. Old pic found of engine. Not the cleanest.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a273/SleepingCRX88/P7290466.jpg (http://s13.photobucket.com/user/SleepingCRX88/media/P7290466.jpg.html)

Clinical
01-04-2014, 12:02 AM
Makes me jealous wishing it was still as clean (and as quick), at least when it comes to the bay.
I definitely have plenty of things to tackle on the mechanical side. Main things right now are just the idle surge and to install the wiper arms/motor. Then to focus on the little things.

Clinical
01-04-2014, 08:36 PM
Well, tonight I tried to make some headway.

Made a boost leak tester, then while the epoxy was adhering I took off the ISC and tested the coils with my voltmeter. All of them pulled 30's which is where they should be. So if not the ISC I figured must be a bad boost leak or something. So I did a boost leak test - it holds solid to 10lbs, and leaks out slowly. Anything over 10lbs leaks out about instantly. I found the problem, the weld on the passenger side of my intercooler apparently has pinholes, so tiny you can't even see them. It's all along the weld. Obviously this is a problem but it doesn't seem like a big enough leak to be causing my idle, thoughts? Either way will be getting it re-welded hopefully by a local guy in the next few days.

Messed with the wipers again, so confusing to me since I've never seen them out like this + I'm missing pretty much every nut and a couple bolts and I don't know exact sizes of what I need. Friend is supposed to be trying to pull up a schematic at work next Monday. Wish I could get it sooner but just as well, with these temps we're going to be getting I'll be lucky to be able to tolerate more than a few minutes in the garage.

Put the car back together (mostly) and went and played in the snow a bit just to get a feel for the AWD action again. Was fun but only took one guy almost sliding into me coming up on me too fast at a redlight to make me go back home.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/7906_10202130409195465_968951028_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/1517615_10202130409835481_166712997_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1492115_10202130743523823_601399278_o.jpg

AutoMods
01-04-2014, 08:42 PM
like ed mentioned, the isc often tests good cold but bad when warmed up. did you try adjusting the tps sensor?

Clinical
01-04-2014, 08:55 PM
like ed mentioned, the isc often tests good cold but bad when warmed up. did you try adjusting the tps sensor?
ahh completely missed that. Sorry Ed!
I'll check it again tomorrow after a warmup! I'm honestly hoping it's the issue so I can quit hunting.
I haven't messed with the TPS sensor physically, it's zip tied tight because its clip is broken. However I did double check it on DSMLink and it was a tad off and I adjusted it a bit so it's accurate now.

StreetSweeper
01-06-2014, 11:02 PM
you going to sponser me? Give me ~$3k and I'll get on that haha.
Maybe someday. Hopefully I'll have it long enough, my biggest fear is I end up forced into selling it due to finances with school or something like what happened with my TA. The main reason I'm trying to not dump money into it until I'm feeling more comfortable financially.

3k lol bahaa! Nice car man and good luck!

Clinical
01-07-2014, 12:47 AM
3k lol bahaa! Nice car man and good luck!
This car doesn't need THAT much to get there, mainly a bigger turbo, of course the build wouldn't be as solid as I would like it to be for that power haha. I'll just be happy with some mid 12's this year. If I get brave and get another DD i might throw some e85 in and shoot for an 11.9 at most.

but thanks!

I did test the ISC today after driving it and it still came back good. I still kind of want to throw another one in and see if it fixes it.
I also found my wiper linkage is a bit borked, not sure if I'll be able to make it work.. might need a whole new linkage. Really blows since I gotta drive it to Cedar Falls Friday and just gotta hope until I can get it together that we get no rain/snow when I need to drive.

If anyone can get ahold of Brent let me know, I'd like to see if he does have an extra ISC and/or TPS I can try and see if it fixes it.

Really tired of pissing off my neighbors and people at red lights with my car surging hah.

Clinical
01-07-2014, 01:23 PM
Got the wipers all installed and working today, thank the lawd. So strange to be excited over something so simple.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t31/1490730_10202147354779094_1630718982_o.jpg

The Laser
01-07-2014, 06:47 PM
If you ever do decide to sell it and put it to stock, I got a box full of parts and a complete head and intake. Good looking DSM. Really makes me miss mine.

skipdownstairs
01-08-2014, 07:29 AM
I would leave it the way it is myself when they are modded up a lot and they get to be a temperamental piece of shit. Work on it for a weekend and drive it for a few hours work on it for a weekend drive it for a few hours lol. I myself wouldn't mind having one for driving back and forth to work and for this and that as long as it wasnt modded up anymore than this is.

Clinical
01-08-2014, 08:05 AM
If you ever do decide to sell it and put it to stock, I got a box full of parts and a complete head and intake. Good looking DSM. Really makes me miss mine.
Thanks I'll keep it in mind, but definitely hoping I never have to do that. If I did need to sell it though, hell unless I dump too much money into it, just with all these things fixed and once I finish tuning it probably around 20psi I imagine I would be able to actually make money selling it if it came down to it. Hopefully that doesn't happen though.

I would leave it the way it is myself when they are modded up a lot and they get to be a temperamental piece of shit. Work on it for a weekend and drive it for a few hours work on it for a weekend drive it for a few hours lol. I myself wouldn't mind having one for driving back and forth to work and for this and that as long as it wasnt modded up anymore than this is.
The funny thing is one of my most reliable cars (besides the headgasket, which I bought the car with it going out) was my 92 laser - the one with around ~450-500whp. I delivered pizzas in that thing every day. Was one of my smoothest running and best driving DSMs.
But I get what you mean, my 91 tsi awd that was mostly stock and my 92 GST that was totally stock both were awesome daily drivers.
I won't take this thing too far, especially not until I graduate and have a big boy career. I definitely at the least will be swapping to an external wastegate setup, I just do not like internally gated setups past stock boost.

skipdownstairs
01-08-2014, 08:58 AM
Cool! I was doing some cleaning the other day and found some stuff off my old 95 eclipse some of the vacuum lines and odds and ends brought back old memories lol

The Laser
01-08-2014, 02:46 PM
[/COLOR]Thanks I'll keep it in mind, but definitely hoping I never have to do that. If I did need to sell it though, hell unless I dump too much money into it, just with all these things fixed and once I finish tuning it probably around 20psi I imagine I would be able to actually make money selling it if it came down to it. Hopefully that doesn't happen though.

You never hope it happens, but life finds a way lol. Good luck with the build.

Drifte
01-10-2014, 07:07 AM
You never hope it happens, but life finds a way lol. Good luck with the build.

life, uh uh uh, finds, a way.

I like close to stock, but ditching things that are in the way, making it easier to work on them. emissions..heh

Clinical
01-10-2014, 01:02 PM
life, uh uh uh, finds, a way.

I like close to stock, but ditching things that are in the way, making it easier to work on them. emissions..heh
Too true. Trying to make it back to Burlington every other weekend makes it hard to find a part time job so I've been unemployed during the school semester so money has been tight especially since I use all my saved money for everyday expenses right now. I'm already noticing the hurt from buying 91 octane again haha. Luckily up in Cedar Falls though I mostly ride the bike which saves me money.

Anyways, I put on a new TPS / ISC, fixed the boost leak, checked the idle switch, and checked the BISS, new throttle body gasket. Still loping, surge like a mofo.
The only thing left is throttle body shaft seals, I can't think of anything else.
Unfortunately I'm out of time here pretty much so I'm making the 3 hour drive to Cedar Falls today and hoping it does it fine. It seems to do great as long as it's getting throttle, so cruising at 65-70mph the whole way it should be fine.

Does anyone by chance have an extra throttlebody I could try? I know the shaft seal job is a PITA and incase something gets messed up I don't want to be stuck without a car + I'd like to be sure its the problem before I tear apart the TB. I can either buy it or just try and see if it works, whatever works if anyone has one.

The Laser
01-10-2014, 01:55 PM
I MIGHT have one. It's been forever since I've rummaged through my stuff. If I find something I'll let you know

Clinical
01-10-2014, 06:50 PM
Thanks that'd be awesome.

Made it to Cedar Falls just fine, though as SOON as I got into town my CEL started to flicker randomly and after a bit is now staying on solid. Yet pulling up DSMLink it's saying there's nothing. Baffled, it isn't running any different. Who knows.

The Laser
01-10-2014, 10:47 PM
It's called owning a DSM :biggrin:

Clinical
01-11-2014, 09:43 AM
I should know better by now, this is #7 for me. Though honestly I've never had one that gave me so many issues right from the start - always my big fear when buying these things. Hopefully I can get everything fixed and then hold onto it!

Clinical
01-11-2014, 11:18 AM
Well started it up today and no CEL, gotta love DSMs haha.

Just went and washed it today, was covered in salt and grime from the drive up here yesterday.
I'm going to go broke just keeping this thing clean, Spring needs to hurry the hell up.

My phone also decided to take some seriously piss poor pictures for some reason.
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t31/1496109_10202169767379395_1584603526_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/1556451_10202169767979410_629583695_o.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/1492517_10202169767699403_131566869_o.jpg

BGjohnson
01-12-2014, 09:48 AM
My 92 GS turbo was some of the most fun Ive had in a car, bought it with bent valves ( didn't know until a few weeks later ). Did a whole rebuild, 3 inch downpipe, fuel pump mod, clutch, alxes, brakes, meth injection.

It I lost me more money than any other car I have ever owned, but I loved it. Good luck with the thing man, very nice looking car.

Clinical
01-17-2014, 09:37 PM
My 92 GS turbo was some of the most fun Ive had in a car, bought it with bent valves ( didn't know until a few weeks later ). Did a whole rebuild, 3 inch downpipe, fuel pump mod, clutch, alxes, brakes, meth injection.

It I lost me more money than any other car I have ever owned, but I loved it. Good luck with the thing man, very nice looking car.
Most fun I've ever had with a car was definitely the silver talon I bought from Colton on here. I knew nothing of mechanics when I bought it, most I could do was change my oil and a tire. Within 3 months of owning that thing I was a pretty capable mechanic haha.
I kind of enjoy working on them.. most other cars I just don't have the patience for.

I'm almost thinking I'd like to pull the motor out of this thing over summer for a week to just go through and fix up some wiring, not really do a wire tuck but just clean it up - mainly clean up all the shitty hacked up portions.

I've been looking for over 3 years for another clean one since I sold the silver pile and regretted it. Just hoping DDing this thing goes well for now.
Just drove it back today from Cedar Falls, another 3 hour trip done and it was perfect the whole way... except when idling haha. The to do list next weekend is a full rebuild of the throttlebody to finally fix the idling issue.

Random picture from wednesday or something. I'm spending a fortune trying to keep this thing clean with the way UNI douses the surrounding roads with salt. I cringe every time I look at powdery salt residue covering it.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1010628_10202196475927092_1338581170_n.jpg

Clinical
01-22-2014, 01:47 PM
Had a class off today, and went to leave and had just pulled out of the parking lot and I heard some front end noise. Pulled off on the street real quick and found all my lug nuts backing off the front right wheel. Got them all down tight and checked the rest. I just bought all 4 new tires Monday before heading back up to Cedar Falls due to the wheel I had to replace and didn't want a single new tire and the rest at 30% or so. Go figure buying them from wal-mart, should of checked the lugnuts before I even left.

That said, the trip up to Cedar Falls monday was fucking terrifying. 25mph from Iowa City to Center Point on 218. I finally got ahead of the pack a bit and the rest of the way managed to average 45-55mph. Passed a ton of wrecks and even saw someone in a jeep slide off the road in front of me who had passed me earlier doing 75mph or so.

was a pure hell trip.

Anyways on my break today I at least went and washed it, been cringing looking at it since coming up Monday from all the salt covering it. Just want to make it through the winter without it rusting in obvious places at least.

Then I decided for the remainder of my break to add in a little timing and pull some fuel and finally do a real pull. Really the first time I've actually done a WOT pull on it, surprisingly fun at the 10-12psi it's at. Then again it might just be because it's been so long since I've driven anything with more horsepower than my old mazda. I was running super low timing and very rich just to keep everything safe. I have most of the issues sorted out now except the idle issue though so i figured it wouldn't hurt to finally feel some boost. Put it back to its safe tune afterwards when I went back from class.

Still is running great, going to get the throttlebody a full rebuild since I'm positive that's my idle issue at this point.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/1475804_10202242675282047_305607196_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/1013459_10202242675722058_1928209936_n.jpg

Drifte
01-22-2014, 03:02 PM
Avoid using the neighborhood brush at the car wash. Never know what your gonna get. Cleans up nice though.

derek072887
01-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Do you fully wash the car every time you wash it? Soap and brush and all? That has to really add up quick.

Clinical
01-22-2014, 07:39 PM
No lots of times I just blast it more to get the salt and other shit off it and the underside. Never thought of that Colton, now I'm going to be paranoid haha

Sleeping
01-22-2014, 08:11 PM
Just pressure wash the brush out before you use it.

derek072887
01-22-2014, 08:28 PM

I personally still wouldn't trust it on my vehicle.

Clinical
01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Good idea, will definitely start doing that.

The wash was pretty much a waste, car is just as dirty already lol.
Soon as the temps starting staying above 15 degrees or so I'll clean it and throw it into the garage and try to mostly ride the bike though.
I have to be honest the car has been surprising me, this morning was -15 windchill -40 at 8am when I went out and it fires right up without a problem.

Clinical
02-02-2014, 12:26 PM
Well the 38mm wastegate I had lined up isn't going to work.
Hoping to find a tial 38 or other good brand name that have decent spring selection.

Considering going ahead and throwing a MBC on the car for now after I get the TB back so I can maybe do a little tuning on the car at a bit more boost. Really don't want to buy a MBC though since I know I have one lying around my garage somewhere back home.

The only next thing after the TB is fixed and I get my new manifold/wastegate combo on is I think I'm going to upgrade from DSMLink v2 to v3. Holding off on that for a bit since $200 for a software upgrade is a lot for me at the moment.

Couple decent pictures from thursday
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/q81/s720x720/1604609_10202297212285438_358141539_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1606991_10202297229525869_735884201_n.jpg

The Laser
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM
i know matt would always make them at home depot, so they arent hard to acquire on a budget.

AutoMods
02-02-2014, 02:37 PM
why don't you try out our new design, rboost 2.0 mbc. made in cedar rapids. I'll do $30 for ya. when i get a chance, i'll post up a video of the cnc machine making them

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j349/automodsllc/20140122_204725.jpg

Clinical
02-02-2014, 04:12 PM
That's literally identical to the one that I still have back at my house from Colton's talon haha

AutoMods
02-02-2014, 10:33 PM
That's literally identical to the one that I still have back at my house from Colton's talon haha

your doesn't have the dotted marks, we added dots from 1 to 5 as you spin it. also made the barbs a bit more aggressive . other than that, its the same. run it.

its a good controller, sold hundreds of them with no complaints and its what i run on my car.

Clinical
02-02-2014, 11:09 PM
Yeah I plan to hunt for it when I'm back in Burlington next weekend. Ended up going ahead and picking up a turbonetics 38mm wastegate older style for $50. I still hope to get a regular tial down the road but this will do for now.

Clinical
02-03-2014, 01:59 PM
Well, rebuilt throttle body (thanks Brent!) and she still surges just as much as ever.

Really annoyed. All new gasket/seals. Have attempted replacing every single sensor on the throttlebody and still nothing.

I thought for sure shaft seals were my problem after using the carb spray and at one point I heard it stutter a bit on a rev so I'm sure it had some leak but it didn't fix my surge issue.

I'm all out of ideas except for maybe come Spring Break pulling the whole intake manifold to see if its leaking somewhere.

JacobS
02-03-2014, 02:19 PM
did you try adjusting your tps?

Clinical
02-03-2014, 02:28 PM
yeah TPS voltage is dead on. Set it manually before I put it on the car with my voltmeter and I dialed in the offset/adjustment to get it 100% on ECMLink

AutoMods
02-03-2014, 03:50 PM
yeah TPS voltage is dead on. Set it manually before I put it on the car with my voltmeter and I dialed in the offset/adjustment to get it 100% on ECMLink

not sure if this is needed because you have ecmlink compensating/adjusting ..... but set the tps voltage according to the voltage at the point right before the wire enters the computer instead of right at the sensor. there can be a slight difference after the signal travels through the harness rats nest.

that little trick was the key to me getting rid of idle surge on a rotary powered rx7 i had.

slow ride
02-03-2014, 05:34 PM
Does ECMlink tell you what the ecu is requesting of the stepper motor (ISC)? I know the ISC will fail in some strange ways and sometimes take out the ECU circuit with it. I'd pull the ECU and check the caps and look for anything burnt.

Clinical
02-03-2014, 06:24 PM
Not sure Ryan ,never heard of that I'll have to look into it.

I tested my ISC and it came out perfect cold and warm. Then I put on a brand new ISC and it didn't help at all so I returned it.
I'll pull the ECU to check though, since at this point I'll try about anything!

Clinical
02-06-2014, 03:18 PM
Still need to check the ECU.

Anyways since the throttlebody rebuild the car has been a bitch to drive especially in parking lots and such with the throttle "sticking" and revving to ~4k rpms for about 5 seconds every time i let off the throttle.
Tonight I pulled the throttlebody, I turned my idle switch damn near all the way closed. Dialed in the TPS perfect with my voltmeter and then did the same in DSMLink. With the BISS screwed all the way closed, and idle switch as far closed as it can go - the car still surges like it was paid to do it.

I did have to scale back my TPS a lot to "band-aid" fix the sticky throttle issue. At WOT the car only sees 96% throttle position. I'll investigate that more in the future, it at least is much less of a pain to drive now. I think I might just have to try to re-align the throttle plate and see if it could be a bit off or else maybe I need to readjust my throttle cable though it was fine before (not bashing Brent's work at all, he did a great job! it's a delicate process, I'm glad I let him do it haha). Main focus is still going to be this surge.

I'm going to try to go ahead and find one of those nice intake mani gaskets and do it the first warmer weekend we have or else over spring break.

oVa-Boost
02-06-2014, 09:05 PM
Lsx swap problem Solved but I had same issues with my pile dsm and it was boost leaks from bov and throttle body gaskets and biss screw I used soap ass water to find the leaks. Got it fixed and issue went away

Clinical
02-06-2014, 11:17 PM
i fixed all the pre-TB boost leaks before semester started.
Biss screw is brand new, TB gasket is new, Brent just rebuilt my throttlebody with new shaft seals, and fiav seals.
I can't really get to the underside of my Intake Manifold gasket to check it but I'm guessing it's leaking.

slow ride
02-07-2014, 06:09 AM
EGR valve could be leaking if it's not blocked off also. Also the FIAV could be bad. Does it surge when warming up on a cold morning?

Drifte
02-07-2014, 09:25 AM
VFAQ:
Throttle body coolant bypass

What is it?The throttle body coolant bypass mod is actually very simple. Normally, hot water/coolant runs through the throttle body in order to heat it up for winter driving. This prevents icing of the throttle plate. Unless you live in Canada, however, this isn't really very necessary and only serves to heat up the incoming air somewhat.
How do you do it?The mod simply involves attaching the coolant in line to the coolant out line, and plugging the holes on the throttle body. Without the hot water running through it, air temps should be lower resulting in more power.
Any side effects?Yes, until the car warms up, the idle will tend to "hunt" between 1000-1500rpm. Personally, I don't think this mod is worth the effort, since its a pain to get at the coolant lines. In addition, the gains you could get from this mod are very small. Its only worth it if you are a hard-core drag racer.
In my experience I've had no negative side effects to doing this. If you havent already, do that.

EGR

What is EGR?EGR stands for Exhaust Gas Recirculation, and its' purpose is to reintroduce the unburned fuel in your exhaust back into the combustion chambers. This is done when you come off the throttle and the exhaust is full of unburned fuel. Under acceleration the valve is closed, when lifting throttle the valve is opened. This keeps the exhaust cleaner.
Why block it off?The idea is that if you block this off the hot exhaust gas will not mix with cool fresh intake air and will keep the intake manifold and charge air cooler.
How can I do that?It is blocked off below the throttle body. I removed the battery, intake hose, and throttle body elbow to get more room. Remove the EGR gasket and cut out a piece of solid metal in the shape of the gasket. Reassemble using the solid material. This will block off the EGR flow.
What HP do I get by doing this? dont be stupid, 100 at least
So thats the first two easy steps to making your TB less cluttered and less parts to fail. Next the issue is likely the ISC motor. I've had my fair share of DSM's, and every idle issue has been due to the ISC motor. I forget what all you have covered with this idle surge issue, but I just thought I'd throw the old vfaq facts out. I've had some charge pipes blow off and vacuum leaks and still that was low idle and dying not idle surge. Try another throttle body, and reset your idle back to factory defaults. Im sure Im forgetting something else, but these cars are pretty simple. I added grounds to the silver car to improve its idle...that was just from a total lack of grounds though.

Clinical
02-07-2014, 10:58 AM
Yea my coolant is bypassed and EGR all deleted.
However it never dawned on me this doesn't have an FIAV blockoff plate, just has open coolant lines. I was being told I need a plate so I figure screw it I'll go ahead and block it off with a proper plate.
I thought about getting the full blockoff and getting rid of the ISC completely but everyone seems to say especially if you drive in cold you should keep it. Since I'm planning to switch to E85 here shortly I figured it'd be best to keep the ISC. + My ISC did test as good and I still threw a brand new one on it to give it a shot.

slowride it actually when I first start it, idles halfway normal during warmup around 1600-1700rpms, but doesn't surge. After about a minute it'll start surging fast then move to its usual standard surge after it gets warmer.

I'll feel pretty stupid if this FIAV bypass plate fixes it.
I also am going to add a ground since right now there really isn't any. Going to do that later here today.

Drifte
02-07-2014, 11:17 AM
Rather than the plate, I recall JB welding my TB coolant passages. I've always kept my ISC as well. I know when I got my maroon talon the coolant lines on the TB were open. It wasnt the issue, so much as one of the ISC coils was bad at operating temp. Swapped ISC motors from my parts car, and I think at that time I hooked the coolant lines back up..idk irrelevant now.

slow ride
02-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Sounds like the FIAV might be stuck open since it idles ok when cold. fill the FIAV passages with JB weld (clean first so it sticks well).

Clinical
02-10-2014, 07:30 PM
Got this in today, just need to get the manifold from des moines now. Then over spring break I'll pull everything off, get the o2 housing ported a bit and weld the flapper and remove the internal gate and get it all together.
Got this for a pretty good deal, looks almost unused and got it all for $125 - was looking for awhile and everyone wanted $170-190 for them.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1601564_10202370139308568_938357149_n.jpg

Drifte
02-12-2014, 08:11 AM
Thats a sweet dump tube.

Clinical
02-12-2014, 11:29 AM
It's definitely different that's for sure, but it will definitely work perfect with the angle my wastegate will be at off the manifold.

Right now I'm really toying with the idea of how invested in the car I want to be as I found a good deal for a HX35/BEP Housing combo, but at the same time I would kind of like to have some fun with the 16g. Since I really don't have any goals past mid 12's -> 11.9 at most I really would probably be better off with the 16g but I've always wanted to run a holset. + I'd really like to have the extra potential there.

I'd still like to fix the other issues before I make any more 'performance' buys though.

Really glad the wastegate came with 4 springs, shits so expensive. I have the combo to run 20psi off spring pressure which will be perfect. I'll probably throw a MBC on and run around 25psi on E85 and tune the 20psi spring pressure on 91.

Drifte
02-12-2014, 12:12 PM
It's definitely different that's for sure, but it will definitely work perfect with the angle my wastegate will be at off the manifold.

Right now I'm really toying with the idea of how invested in the car I want to be as I found a good deal for a HX35/BEP Housing combo, but at the same time I would kind of like to have some fun with the 16g. Since I really don't have any goals past mid 12's -> 11.9 at most I really would probably be better off with the 16g but I've always wanted to run a holset. + I'd really like to have the extra potential there.

I'd still like to fix the other issues before I make any more 'performance' buys though.

Really glad the wastegate came with 4 springs, shits so expensive. I have the combo to run 20psi off spring pressure which will be perfect. I'll probably throw a MBC on and run around 25psi on E85 and tune the 20psi spring pressure on 91.

I double dare you to spend the money making it look real good (kind of a dsm joke)

Betcha 10 bucks I can have you gambling by the end of the day.

AutoMods
02-12-2014, 01:24 PM
yes the dump tube is interesting. I wonder if those hold up long term

slow ride
02-12-2014, 02:06 PM
I'd rather have it fun to drive than a lag monster. I hated my stock motor/green setup after doing so well with the b16g. With e85 the 16g would rip as a daily driver.

Clinical
02-18-2014, 12:43 PM
Figured I'd update this since I fixed the issue finally.
Ended up being the FIAV - it hadn't been blocked off when the coolant was bypassed.
Ended up buying a FIAV bypass plate and it fixed it! (sorry Ryan, I was in a hurry and with the day or two between your PM and mine I went and ordered one).

I'm still having the throttle sticking issue though. I'm a bit confused though because I slackened up the throttle cable a bit and it did seem to help a bit but now there is plenty of slack in it - and it'll idle at about 1400-1500rpms after the revs fall from being given gas. However if I use my foot and just give the gas pedal a little "pull" back up towards me, it'll go down and idle around 950-1000rpms where it's set. There isn't play in the pedal, but if I just give it a little lift up the idle drops from the 1500 down to where it should be.

I think I'll pull the TB off tonight and try looking into it some more.

In addition though I'm having a idle/low speed overheating issue.
I've had it push some coolant to the overflow but today's the first time it actually was pissing out of the top of it. I don't think my fans are kicking on now, the wiring was already shoddy to begin with but now I think I might have a broken connection. I'm in class now so it's still something I need to look more into. Really hoping it isn't a headgasket issue.

Anyway, here she is actually idling the way she should http://youtu.be/rqIwuNdNXZM (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqIwuNdNXZM)

I did have fun driving yesterday seeing all the people stuck. For being regular all seasons she was a beast.https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/l/t1/1902845_10202411728228265_485105877_n.jpg
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1/1796595_10202411727948258_1375262721_n.jpg

Drifte
02-18-2014, 12:57 PM
If it's not the TB a new non-cruise throttle cable is cheap.

Fan wiring is pretty straight forward, and also in a bad place to catch on chunks of snow this time of year. Doubt its a head gasket at your boost levels.

Dorny1
02-18-2014, 02:39 PM
Saw you taking off from school today sounds pretty decent...was stuck at the bus stop due to Audi owner problems...

Clinical
02-18-2014, 03:12 PM
If it's not the TB a new non-cruise throttle cable is cheap.

Fan wiring is pretty straight forward, and also in a bad place to catch on chunks of snow this time of year. Doubt its a head gasket at your boost levels.
I'll keep that in mind about the cable.
I was going to take off the TB tonight and mess with it, I think maybe my idle switch just needs some more adjustment.
However just spent the last 2 hours shoveling out my car from getting stuck at the end of our driveway due to snow piled by the snowplow and probably moreso to my own arrogance thinking I'd make it. Car is already dropped I believe 2" and 8-9" of snow was far beyond it. Ended up laying on the ground getting soaked for the last 2 hours with an ice scraper breaking loose and scraping out the snow packed underneath. What I get for laughing at people stuck yesterday.

yeah I really would hope it isn't the headgasket, today was the first time the coolant was actually boiling out the overflow. But anyway I did check and my fans aren't kicking on.

I'll wire it up maybe tomorrow when I have the energy to go outside again.
It's making me want to get some slim pusher fans. Then again didn't you only have one pusher fan on the talon? Because I never had an issue with that single fan even in 100 degree weather.

Saw you taking off from school today sounds pretty decent...was stuck at the bus stop due to Audi owner problems...
Didn't know you were up here too, wish you wouldn't of seen me - I feel like I'm driving around the dirtiest car in the world. Was perfectly clean Monday morning - this slush and road grime is killer. I probably won't wash it til Friday - the car washes up here are making me go broke and I know just more snow is going to keep melting.

Dont worry though, for every problem your audi has I'm sure I'll always have 5 more. Luckily so far just none of my problems have actually kept me from driving haha.

Dorny1
02-18-2014, 03:16 PM
Yeah man CS major, and no worries the Audi has not even seen a wash in about 2 months...either too cold or too shitty out...wasted so much money the first year I had the car attempting to keep it clean in Iowa winters. Sounded better than the scooby that went by...If any car other than a scooby sounded like that I'd be looking for misfires. Yeah if you ever need a hand, I'm not a pro, but pretty decent at wiring.

Drifte
02-18-2014, 03:20 PM
Had one good 14 or 16" pusher setup, 10 degree cooler thermostat. No A/C in the way either.

derek072887
02-18-2014, 03:30 PM
Dont worry though, for every problem your audi has I'm sure I'll always have 5 more. Luckily so far just none of my problems have actually kept me from driving haha.

I'd be willing to bet this is a little more like a 1:1 ratio haha

Ricky
02-18-2014, 04:00 PM

Did you happen to see me cruising around CF too? I have the white 2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS. I was having a blast the other day just driving around. People look at you weird when you just drive right up a hill around people who are stuck lol.

Dorny1
02-18-2014, 04:45 PM
sounds about right

slow ride
02-18-2014, 06:15 PM
Eric, I think you know my friend Quinton that I work with. Small world. Do you guys go to the same class? It sucks we don't have a snow cross autox type events around here since we have quite a few good lakes to do it on.

AutoMods
02-18-2014, 07:09 PM
Ended up buying a FIAV bypass plate and it fixed it! (sorry Ryan, I was in a hurry and with the day or two between your PM and mine I went and ordered one).

You can also try our ebay store http://stores.ebay.com/automodsllc. the wastegate flanges, gaskets, fiav plates are all in there and in stock.

Dorny1
02-18-2014, 07:16 PM
Did you happen to see me cruising around CF too? I have the white 2000 subaru impreza 2.5RS. I was having a blast the other day just driving around. People look at you weird when you just drive right up a hill around people who are stuck lol.

i believe you're the one that sounded like it was missfiring...or in the case of the scooby's running perfectly :D

Clinical
02-19-2014, 01:58 PM
walking around the car today when I got home and I see this, pretty pissed as the car's exterior is about a 10/10, or until now at least.
I'm not a body guy at all, anyone offer any suggestions what I can do for this? https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1655833_10202424699752545_2060783543_n.jpg

Dorny1
02-19-2014, 02:27 PM
it'll buff :D

derek072887
02-19-2014, 02:39 PM
walking around the car today when I got home and I see this, pretty pissed as the car's exterior is about a 10/10, or until now at least.
I'm not a body guy at all, anyone offer any suggestions what I can do for this? https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1655833_10202424699752545_2060783543_n.jpg

Fill it with JB weld, sand it down and get someone to repaint it

FiFdYnUtZ
02-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Fill it with JB weld, sand it down and get someone to repaint it

Holy fuckin hackjob....

if you cant find a shop that repairs bumpers in your area, im certified in plastic welding/bumper repair and I can fix it for ya

Clinical
02-19-2014, 05:19 PM
Fiddy is there any way you could give me a roughish estimate? I probably wont bother messing with it until it gets warm as with shit roads I'm afraid anything can happen.
I'll prefer to probably just have you do it anyway. Really don't want to hackjob it.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-19-2014, 07:20 PM
250 or so to repair and repaint aassuming the rest of the bumper has no damage

derek072887
02-20-2014, 08:24 AM
Holy fuckin hackjob....

What do you mean? I did this on the SLR and the guy was happy!! LOL I was just joking about the JB weld

FiFdYnUtZ
02-20-2014, 09:12 PM
He lets you clean his car...dont get over zealous.. you're a maid

Clinical
02-20-2014, 11:42 PM
sounds good fiddy, assuming I don't pull a classic scenario and sell this thing by summer, I'll probably be looking to have it done since I'm trying to keep it nice. Pisses me off every time I look at the bumper now.

slow ride
02-21-2014, 06:02 AM
I don't think you are allowed to have anything nice and park at or around a college.

Clinical
02-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I don't think you are allowed to have anything nice and park at or around a college.

yep this is one reason I loved the Mazda and why I'm currently looking for another beater with a heater

oVa-Boost
02-22-2014, 11:27 AM
I got a 94 civic ex 4dr 5speed rusty but trusty if your interested

Clinical
02-22-2014, 12:57 PM
I got a 94 civic ex 4dr 5speed rusty but trusty if your interested
shoot me some info on that beast I might be interested

Dorny1
02-25-2014, 07:51 PM
saw you down near advanced, thats me in the black S4 :D

Clinical
03-01-2014, 12:00 PM
saw you down near advanced, thats me in the black S4 :D
was good to chat to you the other day.. should of went ahead and called you up before I decided to tackle this for your wiring expertise.

Anyway, figured I had nothing to really do today and I actually didn't get shitfaced last night for a change so figured I could try being a little productive.

The guy I bought the car from seemed pretty knowledgeable with DSMs and didn't seem like the kind to ghetto rig shit, so I'm not sure if the wiring hackjobs around this car are his doing or the owner before him - but damn I swear every time I go to tackle a problem, I find one or more wiring hackjobs along the way.

Anyway, had the fans hard wires on all the time with the ignition when I got it. Sometime between then and now the wiring came apart and I'm just trying to fix it somewhat decent until summer. The rad seems like it has seen better days, I might try to source a new rad - not sure I want to drop hundreds on a nice mishimoto or something similar in the near future. So maybe just a better condition stocker in the summer and re-do the wiring completely to set it up to operate off coolant temp like it should and rig the a/c fan on a switch - the way I like it to be set up, or just rig both on the coolant temp. This thing's sensor plug is so hacked up underneath all that electrical tape I doubt it even works anymore.

Anyway, of course after I take it all out to do it I realize I don't have my wiring tool up here or any solder. I do have my piece of shit $5 soldering iron. So just need to wait for one of my roommates to take me to the store later today.

Basically I'm just ghettofixing it again a bit better than it was before so I can at least drive it without overheating at stops in 20+ degree weather until the end of semester.

I'm getting really close to wanting to pull the drivetrain out in the summer and just go over EVERYTHING and even though I HATE fucking with wiring at all, I might go ahead and try to do a bit of a wire tuck - not even for the whole idea of getting it "clean" looking but mostly just to fix a bunch of the hackjobs along the way. Just not sure I want to put my car down in the summer, I hate to give up nice weather time that I could be driving it but I never have much time to work on it during the school semester, and if I do it's usually too damn cold. Need to get a beater ASAP so I don't have to worry about having this thing to take me to school every day. Admittedly though the car has been pretty reliable thus far.

I did really give it its first thrashing for the first time, besides small pulls for tuning purposes I hadn't really beat on it. Some LS1 GTO with what looked like a doucher with a car bought by mom and dad kept taunting me on University Ave, and with how shitty the roads are and just the general risk in a populated area I'm not about to do anything. Well he followed me on the highway and swung around me to do a flyby and I pretty much said fuck it and went to 2nd and went WOT up through 4th and left him pretty decent considering the car is only running about 7-9 degrees of timing in boost at 15psi on the 16g - and very rich (10.2-10.5). I was surprised honestly.

After this next week the temps are supposed to stay pretty decent, I think I might go ahead and make the switch to E85 and give it a real tune which even on 15psi should be a big difference considering I'll probably bump timing about 10-12 degrees.

Anyway, a few pics of today:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1/1656207_10202489646616176_1720054603_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1798160_10202489646976185_600892410_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/r180/1981786_10202489647176190_493403866_n.jpg

Dorny1
03-01-2014, 07:58 PM
Yeah thats pretty janky wiring. Id try to do it stock(trns on with stock temp sensor) but you could wire up a switch to override that easily to kick it on and to keep it off (three way switch)

Clinical
03-02-2014, 01:35 PM
yeah it's nothing fancy now but it works, the radiator is looking pretty rough so I think I'll just redo it all the factory way when I can pick up a new one. For now this should hold me. Used to drive around at 210-220 degrees. CEL came on at 234 and at idle it'd always go to 230-240 and also push coolant.

Drove around for about an hour last night and beat on it a lot playing in the fresh snow and she never went above 180 with the new tstat and fixed fans. Happy with it for now haha.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t31/1962532_10202492083677101_769386398_o.jpg

Dorny1
03-02-2014, 02:00 PM
hell if it works dont fix it!

Clinical
03-04-2014, 09:31 PM
Well one of my last main "issues" i really haven't wanted to face - sourcing my fuel leak when the car is full/near full. I'm guessing this is the culprit.
Really not looking forward to this fix, one of those things I wish I could afford to just drop it off somewhere. Guess this will be a summer fix, yuck

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1/1517590_10202514574919368_1042924693_n.jpg

Clinical
03-05-2014, 11:29 AM
Think I'm going to follow this writeup, seems pretty simple - or as simple as it can get.
Anyone done this before? I figure maybe someone has since it seems to be a commonality among 1g's
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/articles-engine-fuel/441543-replacing-broken-fuel-tank-studs-alternate-route-take.html

Drifte
03-05-2014, 11:45 AM
always a fun time

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/drifte/DSM%20Land/GEDC0125.jpg

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/drifte/DSM%20Land/GEDC0126.jpg

dropping the tank gave great access to the diff though

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k27/drifte/DSM%20Land/GEDC0121.jpg

Clinical
03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
wasn't planning on dropping the tank but now I might, Might be nice to clean up the underside and give it some undercoating and maybe change the diff fluid while I'm at it.

Drifte
03-05-2014, 01:18 PM
pretty easy to drop. welding the new studs in was a little intense even after draining the tank.

Clinical
03-05-2014, 01:50 PM
I was just planning to do what the guy in the guide did and drill out the old studs and re-tap them, but either way I think removing the fuel tank sounds like the better idea. Just another thing that will have to wait till semester is over with blah.

Clinical
03-07-2014, 12:56 PM
As of today she's running on corn and smelling delicious.
MUCH quicker now even on the 13-15psi it's on. Was running 5-9 degrees of timing throughout WOT. Now is at about 17-18. Still has room to grow but I'm happy with it for now until the wastegate/manifold goes on and she gets bumped to 20+psi

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1964956_10202530233750829_163630649_n.jpg

Clinical
03-10-2014, 12:29 AM
god damn iowa roads... this is why we can't have nice things

second time in 2 months
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1897983_10202543063951576_1266562095_n.jpg

85XR7Project
03-10-2014, 07:43 PM
Ooooh ouch, yeah the roads in CF/Dirtyloo are absolutely shit. I swear I saw a Chinese dude in one of the real deep ones...

Clinical
03-12-2014, 10:37 AM
Check out these two junkers, usually I'm not so lucky with parking.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1/1920446_10202559571164246_1813321543_n.jpg

slow ride
03-12-2014, 11:17 AM
What classes do you guys take at UNI?

Clinical
03-12-2014, 01:14 PM
What classes do you guys take at UNI?
I'm not sure what Eric is in, I'm in a new program focusing on Digital Advertising/Marketing & Imaging. So half my classes are marketing classes and the other half are tech/communication classes.

Drifte
03-12-2014, 01:19 PM
Sounds like the graphic communication technology degree I got through them. Half business on the business end and half industrial building classes. I believe they changed the program name in 2009.5-10 so may very well be the same program (lots of walking sound familiar?). I cant actually remember what Erics degree is for...

Clinical
03-12-2014, 01:32 PM
Yup, I love walking from the tech building to lang and itc every day

Dorny1
03-12-2014, 11:07 PM
well sure you haven't had a chance to get parked next to the audi :D ....cause its always broke....:(

Clinical
03-13-2014, 02:52 PM
well sure you haven't had a chance to get parked next to the audi :D ....cause its always broke....:(
haha I'm really surprised that isn't me. My car has plenty of little issues, but luckily nothing that has kept it from driving yet :headbang:(knock on wood)

anyway, another day - another bath
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1896804_10202566945268594_1052924977_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1901328_10202566945868609_1619600133_n.jpg

JacobS
03-13-2014, 05:54 PM
haha I'm really surprised that isn't me. My car has plenty of little issues, but luckily nothing that has kept it from driving yet :headbang:(knock on wood)

anyway, another day - another bath
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1896804_10202566945268594_1052924977_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1901328_10202566945868609_1619600133_n.jpg

its going to blow up tomorrow

slow ride
03-13-2014, 06:11 PM
I'd like to see it with some bronze rotas for an old school look :)

Dorny1
03-13-2014, 07:53 PM
I agree with him^^^

Clinical
03-14-2014, 12:31 AM
its going to blow up tomorrow

Probably, tomorrow spring break starts and I'll be switching it to 93 for the trip to Des Moines for the weekend then back to Burlington for the rest of my break. Wouldn't be surprised if it ends up blowing up on the highway tomorrow.

I'd like to see it with some bronze rotas for an old school look :)
Find me a deal and I'll do it. I really just want to turn these beat up wheels into winter wheels at this point, even though I don't plan to drive this car through another winter. They're so trashed from this winter and university ave

Clinical
03-19-2014, 08:01 PM
Well she made it to Des Moines - spent the weekend there, and picked up the new/used manifold from noRys on here to run my tial wastegate - drove it back to Burlington and put it in the garage to start working on it. Picked up new pads and rotors. Fronts are completely shot.
Yesterday was my first real day of doing anything on it - I was lazy Monday. I got the turbo and manifold all off. Took apart the turbo, my main hurdle right now is trying to get someone here to weld my flapper shut on the hot side.. a friend said he'd do it and hasn't text me back since so I might just end up taking it to a place here and paying whatever they want to do it since I'm on a tight schedule for getting the car back together. Otherwise today I went and picked up some new tools, got some bolts for the wastegate and bought some coolant/oil. Realized I forgot my manifold->wastegate gasket in Cedar Falls. So I'm using a steel gasket that came with it between the manifold and wastegate for the time being and no gasket between the wastegate and dump tube, I'll get it set up properly when I get back to CF.
Otherwise right now manifold/wastegate/dumptube are on (though mocked up, will take the wastegate/dumptube off to more easily get the turbo back in.

Random pictures:

random picture of flexing with the 4x4 status on some snow right before I left cedar falls
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1150925_10202573157503896_881113623_n.jpg

pulled into the garage as soon as I got home, ready for maintenance and upgrades
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10006992_10202592088737165_1767280717_n.jpg

in progress
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1075632_10202597526193098_1553286275_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1.0-9/1972351_10202597531673235_1575552985_n.jpg
http://i61.tinypic.com/6jkpli.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2942iy1.jpg
http://i59.tinypic.com/xojg4i.jpg

mock up, definitely will be getting a proper dump tube made but this will work for now
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1911718_10202603385179569_128540166_n.jpg

bonus, a sweet compound turbo mustang
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1959572_10202597621395478_635002462_n.jpg

derek072887
03-20-2014, 08:15 AM
bonus, a sweet compound turbo mustang
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1959572_10202597621395478_635002462_n.jpg

That's a pretty sweet lookin turbo and waste gate there. Tell the owner to get on here and update us on his build!!

Sleepy
03-20-2014, 11:01 AM
I have a soft spot for turbo 2v mod motors.

Are you leaving the wastegate to dump to atmosphere?

Clinical
03-20-2014, 03:48 PM
if you're talking about the mustang then I'm sure he will be dumping it to the atmosphere, though I'm doing the same even if that was directed at me.

Dorny1
03-20-2014, 03:54 PM
im sure it was, open dumps are the way to go...damn my internal wastegates...ONLY FOR A YEAR MOAR!

85XR7Project
03-20-2014, 04:49 PM
I went to an external wastegate right away on my car, it does however attract alot of attention. Nice to see some work getting done on the car man.

slow ride
03-20-2014, 05:57 PM
I guess I'm just too old. The faster I can go with the most sleeper exhaust for me, fast with class. I loved my old talon when I ran the gate back into the exhaust. More turbo noise, less BLATT.

Clinical
03-20-2014, 07:35 PM
thanks all, yeah I'm to a point I actually would prefer to recirculate it but would be an annoying thing to set up since mine is off the manifold - and I'm too short on time to try to get that fancy.

Anyways car is together in the bay now and I started it for a bit. Feeling like an idiot for not buying new $1.99 drain line gaskets, the one leaks pretty steady. Going to pick up some RTV tomorrow and try to get her sealed and then order a new gasket to put on in cedar falls. Otherwise just needs an oil change and I need to finish my brakes on the driver side and she'll be ready for the trip back to Cedar Falls for the rest of the semester. Once I get up there I'll put it back on E85 and tune it on the 20psi wastegate spring pressure and run it like that until May or June.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1011467_10202610353233766_222241058_n.jpg

slow ride
03-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Can you run a smaller spring and boost controller? Running on the gate spring can make it spool slower than say a MBC or electronic controller. Car should be pretty fast when dialed in on e85.

Clinical
03-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Really? Never knew it affected spool, I might have to do that then. I have about 6 springs for it. Original plan was to run the 20psi spring and use the boost controller to bump it up to 25-27psi.
Might have to set it up on the 15psi spring and just use the boost controller from there.

slow ride
03-21-2014, 06:34 AM
Too low of a spring and it will crack open under high exhaust backpressure and not hold boost as well up top. I wouldn't run a 10psi spring and want to get 30 psi, etc. Running on the spring alone will allow it to crack open (slowing spool slightly) as the spring gets close to its opening pressure. A MBC with a ball spring will postpone this some and a good two port EBC will actually put pressure on top of the gate to hold it shut till it's suppose to open. Run something close to the area you will set it most of the time or the lowest boost level you plan to run. I'd say ~15psi in your case would work well, the 16g isn't going to make a lot more than 20psi at high rpm with cams, etc. You could get more out of it at low rpms, but it will fall off up top anyway.

It's hard to say if you would notice it from the seat of the pants, but a datalog would probably show a difference. With AWD you can probably put as much spool to it as you want since traction isn't a problem.

Clinical
03-24-2014, 11:05 AM
For now I just left the spring setup in there, I'll probably swap in my 15psi springs soon since I plan to just stay at 20psi until May or June.

Anyways I got the car back together, I just did a very thin layer of black RTV on my oilpan's drainline gasket. New gasket for that is on the way along with the o-ringed bolts since mine are just regular bolts. Although the RTV seems to be holding fine, hasn't leaked a drop - surprising for how light I went on it and how much it was leaking before.

Anyways so I finished the brakes then had an issue with a bolt on the hub cocking the rotors so the calipers were dragging. Made it a half block and turned around and took it back apart to find the issue.
Then I drove it after that and I thought all was well, mind you that was Saturday the day before I had to come back up to Cedar Falls due to spring break ending. Then Saturday night as I was driving home from a friends garage, I realized my stock boost gauge acting funny, I have it set to show volts - and then soon enough my battery/coolant light came on. Used advance's tester and it showed a stuck diode the next day - however most of the day yesterday it kept charging fine and I'm getting pretty tight on cash right now so I'm going to try to use this alternator as long as I can - though today now it's spending about half the time not charging and half the time putting out low volts. Enough to charge the car but definitely not enough I want to trust it much longer.

Then yesterday morning I came out to the garage to see coolant all over the garage floor, radiator had a steady leak. Figured fuck it, my radiatior is pretty trashed - I'd go see if any place had one in stock. Topped off coolant and drove it out, no one had one in stock - come back home and its not a steady drip anymore it's just a torrent of coolant out of the lower driverside plug. I had to drive the car back up here yesterday so I pulled the radiator, used black RTV all over the threads of the plug and then layered shit tons of jbweld all over the general outside area of the leak. Good enough it got me up to Cedar Falls yesterday, car itself drove great and alternator even was working at full per my voltage reading on the trip up.

Today now on my way to class it didn't work at all. On my break it worked off and on, and then the CEL came on as the car was heating up as I came back to class. I just checked and the overflow is about 2/3rds full. I really wouldn't think this thing's headgasket would be going bad - it's a good headgasket and I haven't ran much timing on this car or a whole lot of boost for the setup. I'm hoping it's just related to my junk radiator and maybe the fact that it gets shit airflow. Friend from Keokuk is selling me a nice Mishimoto rad for $50 with fans - though I can't pick that up till I go back again so the plan for now is to try to make this setup work for one more month. I'm really going to tempt fate taking it to the track May 3rd but screw it, by that time I'll basically be done with my semester and if the worst happens I can trailer it back home. I also got AAA last week, necessary for any DSM owner. Admittedly yet though the car still has yet to leave me stranded and every trip I've taken it on it has done great. Even got 31mpg on the trip up yesterday.

fixing my leak sunday morning before heading out
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1947380_10202627027370609_1626818993_n.jpg

plug that was leaking that I lathered in RTV:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/1157581_10202627025570564_2111148015_n.jpg

stopped along the way in Cedar Rapids to pick up a good stock transmission from Brent, gave me a deal I couldn't refuse so I'm just sitting on it for a backup or I might build it for when my stocker lets go.
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1926906_10202629646716091_760284306_n.jpg

JacobS
03-24-2014, 03:31 PM
that radiator looks like its seen better days.

Clinical
03-24-2014, 04:09 PM
that radiator looks like its seen better days.
yeah it's pretty trashed. The fans are just as nasty looking.
Going to love getting the mishimoto in it.

Clinical
03-25-2014, 04:17 PM
Well strange issue today, put the car back on E85 and did a brief 3rd gear pull for a log.. after the pull the car does not want to idle below 2500rpm. The car bucks bad if I'm driving below the 2500rpm range.
In addition it instantly filled the overflow tank which was empty prior to the pull and shot coolant out everywhere in the bay.

Going to let the car sit for a bit and then fire it up again and see what's what. I'm really worried about a headgasket at this point.

Dorny1
03-25-2014, 04:29 PM
boost/vac leak maybe?

Clinical
03-25-2014, 04:39 PM
unsure, I checked over everything and didn't see any leaks. It was all good before I left Burlington and held to 20psi.
I have my boost leak tester but no air pig or compressor up here so if it seems to still want to run and drive decent enough tomorrow I might take it to the Kwik Star to pop off my intake and use the air there to check it.

Dorny1
03-25-2014, 05:09 PM
too bad my compressor is at a friends house

slow ride
03-25-2014, 06:19 PM
I'm sure the gasket is hurt, probably when it over heated on you a few months back. I'd make sure the radiator cap is good also and the sealing surface is not pitted. Run a little higher pressure cap, but I'd guess it's the hg.

Clinical
03-25-2014, 11:30 PM
After it sat for a few hours I went back out and started it up, idled perfect though I did check various plugs and such before I started it and it felt like my TPS plug wasn't sitting all the way down (EVERY single clip on my plugs are broken so I zip tied them all down). Idle is back to normal, not heating up now.

The car has never really overheated too terribly - the most it has done a few times is push coolant and my CEL has come on with the CEL set to 222 degrees. Mostly that was because of idling for too long when my fan wiring was messed up. I never let it get too hot, as soon as I'd ever see the coolant temp start moving past half on my factory gauge I'd get the car moving/heat blasting or turned off in time to get it to cool back down.

Tonight driving the car stayed a a rock solid 180 when I went to class and back, though didn't want to drive for long since my alternator pretty much completely died today. So now I just threw it on my battery charger. Ordering a new alternator tomorrow and will probably put it on with this warm weather this weekend.

Still crossing fingers the headgasket isn't the issue, being how nice the temp stayed tonight even with doing a minor pull again to see if it would push (it didn't) - I really think it might just be because my radiator is so trashed and has such shit airflow. If i have to do a headgasket, no big deal as long as I can force one more month of daily driving out of this thing til the end of the school semester.

slow ride
03-26-2014, 05:40 AM
Unless you can get a used good stock alternator don't get a junk reman from the parts store. If you can live without the car for a few days a place in Waverly called Bluhm can rebuild alternators, motors, etc.

Clinical
03-26-2014, 02:25 PM
Unless you can get a used good stock alternator don't get a junk reman from the parts store. If you can live without the car for a few days a place in Waverly called Bluhm can rebuild alternators, motors, etc.
Since I really can't last too long without the car right now I went ahead and ordered an alt at Advance. I actually am looking at getting a good stock alternator for $30 shipped and just keeping it with me when im out of town since I too have heard bad things about retail bought alternators. This one will have the lifetime warranty so when/if it does fail I'll have the extra good alternator to throw on while I have to wait for a warranty one. Since it's so easy to swap an alternator I figured why not.

If I didn't have to drive the car every day I'd definitely see about having mine rebuilt there.

Just need to find a decent beater for $1500 or less.

Drifte
03-26-2014, 02:46 PM
It's warm enough to be riding the DRZ. Its funny parts stores have never been able to get alternators right. I always get mine rebuilt by a place here in CR. Except for the mountaineer, right before my wedding I had Andrew at ATS throwing parts at it to fix a squeal, so he ordered a new alternator from a legit NEW production company. That wasnt cheap...or the problem lol.

Clinical
03-26-2014, 03:30 PM
Wish I could, I need to update my signature but I sold the DRZ a little over a month ago. I figured I'd have my KLX fixed and up here by now - but even if I could get the damn thing to run I couldn't ride it up here if I wanted to with its tires, they are about 90% dirt 10% road and are sketchy enough at 50mph. Then with its sprocket setup it would hate cruising at 65mph for long. I took it to about 70 when it was running and it was screaming as bad as my stock DRZ did at 90mph.

Still looking for either a new DD bike or DD car, either will work for me at this point in the season. Soon as I get the KLX going I'll sell it and quit being so damn broke.

Clinical
03-29-2014, 04:16 PM
Since it was so nice today, figured I'd cruise a bit and snap some pictures with my shit phone.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/10168165_10202660979819399_1051083936_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1979675_10202660980539417_937787728_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/1011114_10202660982059455_761929484_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1897863_10202660983179483_550475582_n.jpg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/1947530_10202660984619519_1540760303_n.jpg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/t1.0-9/1959702_10202660730973178_1392587828_n.jpg

Clinical
04-07-2014, 10:14 AM
https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10150723_10202709750078625_2859770745231400269_n.j pg

hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe hehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehehe h

Sleepy
04-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Hey look its a DSM! :)

The Laser
04-08-2014, 10:07 AM
What happened?

Dorny1
04-08-2014, 10:21 AM
what did you do now....

Clinical
04-08-2014, 12:05 PM
per DSMLink the CAS took a shit, was just sitting at a light going to class yesterday morning and she died. Lots of cranking and she popped a couple times but that's it.

Not a hard fix but I can't find a CAS locally up here so I'll have to wait til the weekend and I'll just go back to Burlington and on the way there or back stop and see Brent who said he has one.

Sleepy
04-08-2014, 12:55 PM
That stinks man. I am assuming a CAS is a sensor of some sort.

I had issues for two summers with my stock wiring harness in my car. The fuel pump relay would lose signal at random. Car would run great, park it go to start it and it would just prime. Fixed it, then I had crank sensor issues. Finally I ended up rewiring the engine with all new wiring for the stand alone.

Tough break, hopefully you can find one and get it back on the road soon.

Clinical
04-08-2014, 08:08 PM
Found the issue, more wiring
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/1507775_10202717367269050_4449537517859445978_n.jp g

Did a ghetto fix until I can pick up a new connector this weekend, I went to start it and took the parking break off and the e-brake cables snapped, if it aint one thing it's another. Not going to lie this thing is really testing my patience lately, but it's a DSM so I shouldn't be surprised.

86svo9L
04-08-2014, 08:24 PM
What a pain in the ass man. Maybe a good idea to just pick up a spare harness and rebuild the whole thing. Once complete you can swap it out and have a nice piece of mind. You will be able to make the under hood area super clean looking at the same time as an added benefit. I had to do that with my SVO, damn thing kept having wiring issues so I picked up a newer harness and upgraded all the plugs and repaired the whole damn thing. Pain in the ass but killed all wiring issues for me.

AutoMods
04-08-2014, 08:59 PM
damn, you have bad luck. i guess the car is over 20 years old though

BGjohnson
04-13-2014, 10:59 AM
It's a DSM. It's not expected to run everyday, so when it starts, it's a bonus ;)

Geeze man, that wiring just snapped, evidence of a rough or shaking engine, vibration does that.

Clinical
04-17-2014, 11:34 AM
Yeah like I said it's just everything that was happening at once lately that was getting annoying. + I'm pretty sure the car needs a headgasket at this point, I'm not sure why considering I'm not running crazy boost and I'm running 15 degrees of timing on E85 and it supposedly has only around 5k on the motor, but who knows.
Anyway since I did a ghetto fix on it, it has been fine since.
I haven't really had to drive it though which is nice since I finally picked up a daily driver.
https://scontent-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1920009_10202769201924884_5373572019469723595_n.jp g

Though I'm already trying to sell it, I underestimated how hard it'd be to daily drive something so tiny. Just has no room for my stuff. I'm still stuck driving the talon whenever I want to take my bike to some place to ride. Also frequently I end up needing more than just two seats. Otherwise the miata is a fun little car, especially fun to sling through corners. I also though don't really like how it rides, at least for a daily driver - feels so floaty/shaky at times though I read on forums that it's just how a stock miata rides. I'd be more apt to keep it and put some money into the advised suspension mods if it wasn't my dd. Threw it up on craigslist for a little more than I bought it for, not too in a rush to sell it though since either way it's nice not having to drive the talon to class every day. Hoping to end up getting something like a 4cyl ranger/s10/sonoma or maybe an outback/sidekick/tracker/etc.

Drifte
04-17-2014, 11:48 AM
Hard top Miata is my broke wallet dream car.

Clinical
04-17-2014, 12:34 PM
Hard top Miata is my broke wallet dream car.

yeah I just picked it up because I always wanted one to try. I actually first almost got a 92 with 40k more miles with a hard top and soft top both in good condition for 2800. Ended up paying more for this one, but it only has 109k miles and is a bit cleaner and it's a 95 which is supposedly with the 94 in the better years of the NA miatas.
It isnt perfect, has some minimal rust in the normal spot, not too bad but its there. Still is nicer than most I've seen though, seems like usually people want 4-5k for clapped out slammed rusty messed up paint miatas with 150-200k.

The Laser
04-17-2014, 02:03 PM
Trade you all my DSM parts I have for the miata :D

Clinical
04-17-2014, 03:42 PM
Trade you all my DSM parts I have for the miata :D

funny thing is I posted that today, and here now it looks like I'm already selling it - and to someone on this forum haha, I'll let him post about it if he wants. Picking him up later so he can come back to my place and get the title/give me the monies.

The Laser
04-17-2014, 03:46 PM
Should have just sold the talon and keep the miata.

Clinical
04-17-2014, 04:11 PM
Should have just sold the talon and keep the miata.

even if I wanted to, talon wouldn't get me near enough with the issues it has right now.

Besides, then i'd be really screwed - main reason I want rid of the miata is it has no space. I'm still driving the talon if I want to take my bike anywhere or have my roommates or friends in the car, be pointless to sell it.

The Laser
04-18-2014, 10:43 AM
In all fairness to the miata, you knew what it was before getting it lol. Probably could have let your bike ride shotgun with the top down LMAO plus, isn't your talon a desirable one? AWD, 6-bolt, lots of mods. Seen people sell for what you're asking for the miata with basic bolt-ons

Clinical
04-18-2014, 04:38 PM
In all fairness to the miata, you knew what it was before getting it lol. Probably could have let your bike ride shotgun with the top down LMAO plus, isn't your talon a desirable one? AWD, 6-bolt, lots of mods. Seen people sell for what you're asking for the miata with basic bolt-ons

I just didn't think through with the miata haha, still loved it just not for a DD. It's with a much better owner now than me anyway, I wasn't going to do anything except the most basic maintenance.

Talon desirable? Hah well at least it's clean and that's about all it has going for it. Simple mods for the most part. Lots of issues though, headgasket, fuel tank needs restudded, wideband sensor im pretty sure is bad, exhaust needs completely rehung for the most part, need to fix some ghetto wiring, needs a new radiator, e-brake cables need replaced, and rear battery pretty much needs re-done and secured corectly. It's enough to scare off any potential buyers even though its honestly just a weekend of work for the most part and maybe $400-500.

Either way, I don't really want to sell the talon. I'm going to get to the point that I'll have fixed so much I won't want to let it go and risk buying another one needing the same kind of shit all fixed again. Because I promise I plan to build a DSM after college when I have a good job and all, I just would like to keep this one at a modest power such as 350-400whp until to a financial point in life to get serious with it.

85XR7Project
04-18-2014, 08:39 PM
Thats a fun power range, be glad you have AWD because being at that power range with FWD makes for a car that is crazy as a bag of cats...

Might have to come check out your DSM sometime since you are in my neck of the woods.

Dorny1
04-19-2014, 04:06 PM
85xr7project...Tripoli is my hometown...:D Never realized that till now.

end of threadjack

85XR7Project
04-19-2014, 04:35 PM
Lol, no shit? I've seen your car then. You lived near the bowling alley correct?

Dorny1
04-20-2014, 01:45 AM
yep I'll be in town tommorrow for easter. I'm a Kirchhoff step son

Clinical
04-20-2014, 09:53 AM
Thats a fun power range, be glad you have AWD because being at that power range with FWD makes for a car that is crazy as a bag of cats...

Might have to come check out your DSM sometime since you are in my neck of the woods.

Yeah, I hate high horse FWD. I drove Brad's integra when it was at 540whp or something like that, and he had radials on it and still I got on it in 3rd gear and was blowing the tires off. Was really annoying since I've never had a car that had much traction problems - mostly I've just had DSMs and fbodies.
I'll be here for a few more weeks, if you ever want to check it out you can. I'll probably go to the midnight mania may 3rd though I probably wont race it since a full pass might finish off my headgasket.

Ricky
04-23-2014, 11:30 AM
I has the miata now :) always wanted one for autocross a d to play with. Drove it a lot last weekend getting used to it and I am impressed with it. Handles the corners a lot better then I thought. At some point the turbo stuff will come off of the Subaru and get swapped to the miata. First mods are tires and suspension and brakes. Its very slow but once up to speed I don't have to slow down.

Tires have been shipped and are on there way. Still doing a lot of reading on what suspension to do it it.

Ricky
04-23-2014, 11:31 AM
I has the miata now :) always wanted one for autocross a d to play with. Drove it a lot last weekend getting used to it and I am impressed with it. Handles the corners a lot better then I thought. At some point the turbo stuff will come off of the Subaru and get swapped to the miata. First mods are tires and suspension and brakes. Its very slow but once up to speed I don't have to slow down.

Tires have been shipped and are on there way. Still doing a lot of reading on what suspension to do it it.

The Laser
04-23-2014, 03:22 PM
Either flyin miata vmaxx coils or a FCM setup. The tokicos 1.5 package is good too if they still have any, then get a bigger front sway and disconnect the rear for track days. At the m-town track, with UHP summer tires, and remove the rear sway I could probably easily get to 1:27 or high 1:26 time (for reference, my buddies civic that had some beefier suspension and tires got 1:25's consistently). You have the 1.8 now, so you have a lot more options for power parts like pistons and such, but I'd wait until you're comfertable with how the car drives in the corners before doing FI, otherwise you will need beefier suspension to handle the power and torque in such a light weight car.

JacobS
04-24-2014, 03:04 PM

do all the suspension upgrades and leave it at stock power, youd never have to touch the brakes around a corner!

Ricky
04-24-2014, 04:29 PM
Yeah the plan is to do tires and suspension first. Going to spend most of the summer learning to drive it as fast as I can with a stock motor. The turbo will come later just to make it a good rounded car.

Clinical
05-04-2014, 03:13 AM
So Brent and I ended up bringing down the DSM hammer on CFR's Midnight Mania.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5lWWBdhe1ts&feature=youtu.be

Overall stoked to see him finally get some good runs in with the car and break the barrier!

I'm very impressed by how my car did. I didn't even intend to race but couldn't resist.. my headgasket is well on its way out. Also had some recent issue with my carrier bracket and just changed my trans fluid and am not liking the way it's shifting (changed with synchromesh, think I'm going to swap it out for some MT90 here pretty quick), so I was still taking it easy on the car especially since I need to drive it the 3 hours back to Burlington this week after finals.

Also we both had hard times not spinning, track wasn't sticky at all - good old midnight mania/mayhems.

Still, really happy considering I'm only on 22psi on the 16g - running pretty much the same timing I did on the old talon on the 20g maybe 1 degree more at most- same boost even.. Yet on that setup I ran 12.7@107mph. My 12.6@114mph with me driving it a bit more to its potential + a better track could definitely get pretty deep in the 12s but I plan to be at more boost with a fresh headgasket and a lot more timing next time I'm at a track so hopefully I'll see 11's.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn1/t1.0-9/10329163_10202888013495099_7984764388324841659_n.j pg

AutoMods
05-04-2014, 08:50 PM
i see brents tach is a little wacky under the stutterbox.

good runs. surprised your talon ran as good as it did with your headgasket like that

Clinical
05-04-2014, 09:10 PM
i see brents tach is a little wacky under the stutterbox.

good runs. surprised your talon ran as good as it did with your headgasket like that
yeah but I believe that's a common thing for AEM EMS DSMs, everyone with it I've seen have done that.
I almost remember Brad's Integra doing it with hondata as well, maybe the civics too cant remember.

Also upon checking logs today then going out and doing a pull to check boost again I see i'm only hitting 20.5psi, so not quite as much as I thought. Even more surprising to me.

Either way I'm excited to get it home this week and finally get stuff fixed

Clinical
05-11-2014, 12:25 AM
Got a daily driver today, this time one that i intend to keep! at least until I graduate anyway... even if something forces me into selling the talon this will definitely stay around for awhile... I've always wanted a nice black civic coupe, especially an EX 5 speed, for a daily driver.

mechanically sound, 160k miles - fairly clean, going to restore the headlights tomorrow.. gave $1500 for it to a friend whom I actually found it for him 2 years ago. He paid $1500 for it too admittedly a bit nicer then but he has replaced some stuff since then like distributor/alternator and other misc things.. actually a lot of work I did on it since I'm usually his go-to person if I'm in town. I also found him his ruckus, his current motorcycle, his job, his last car, etc.. so he kind of owed me to give me dibs on it. Thankful since it's probably a 2500-3500$ car on craigslist. I promised him I'd for sure at least keep it a year till I graduate either way but honestly I don't intend to sell this until I can actually afford to buy a nice newer car after I get into a career and all.. even then my first newer vehicle will probably be a truck or trailblazer ss for pull duty.. so I'd still probably keep this for an ecobox.

Just happy now I can do the headgasket on the talon without being without a car, and then beat the shit out of it and not worry as much if I break the hell out of it.

My goal for the talon now is to get my 11 second pass and then leave it that way and start cleaning it up. Planning to eventually drop some good money on a mil-spec harness and do a wire tuck the right way. That probably wont be for awhile though, but after the 11 second pass I will be focusing on getting a freshened interior and getting my bumpers repainted and some nice wheels and tires.

Tomorrow the plan is to do a bit of a headlight restore on the civic and then start tearing apart the talon to do the headgasket and the other laundry list of little issues I want to fix on it before its next visit to the track to shoot for 11's on the 16g.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10171730_10202933822520296_6198623964875907454_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10255433_10202933822920306_1585624579575314817_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10308174_10202933823040309_6771263524053730345_n.j pg

Clinical
05-12-2014, 01:02 AM
So I wasn't planning to tear into the car until around next weekend but I took an accidental nap and woke up around 11pm tonight, so went and spent the last couple hours in the garage having some fun.

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10296777_10202942346973402_5092986723884831970_n.j pg

https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10252003_10202942347733421_236277346790346669_n.jp g

https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1.0-9/1176313_10202942348053429_3714304215555789418_n.jp g

gotta love e85 gunk! my guess is the car has never been on e85 until I put it on it, and it has cleaned out the system a bit.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn1/t1.0-9/10255194_10202942348293435_3171134012875946559_n.j pg

slow ride
05-12-2014, 07:37 AM
Better send those to Ryan. I'd hand lap the head/block with 400 grit wet and a flat block. Get it smooth and even and use a cometic or felpro MLS. Done right it should hold everything except for crazy detonation.

Clinical
05-12-2014, 09:48 AM
Better send those to Ryan. I'd hand lap the head/block with 400 grit wet and a flat block. Get it smooth and even and use a cometic or felpro MLS. Done right it should hold everything except for crazy detonation.

Actually Allen Applegate here in town (used to own Brent's car back in like late 90's/ early 2000s - ran 11's on the 16g back then), does a lot of injector dealing and has a bench and all and hooks me up from time to time so I'll probably let him do them.

I'm going to check the head as best we can but I'm hoping taking it to the machine shop since I really don't want to wait on them. I'm using an OEM Composite Felt gasket. Should be plenty fine for my power but I opted to do it instead of pulling everything to have both block and head surfaced since I imagine taking it to the machine shop now I wouldn't get it back for a month. I'd rather just blow another OEM headgasket and do it in a weekend again. But yeah, hoping with e85 and all I don't have to worry too much about detonation. Might pick up some 400 grit and take up your suggestion.

slow ride
05-12-2014, 10:51 AM
Humm, I can't remember anyone by that name from back in the day and figured I was as old of a fart as possible. Thats cool if he can, I just never knew anyone around the CF/Waterloo area had such a thing. Running 11's back in the day in a DSM was crazy for this area or Iowa in general.

I'm sure the OEM gasket will be fine also. Just need to avoid deeper surface scratches near the combustion ring. Sometimes people clean off the surfaces with too course of a roloc disks, etc which can be easy, but end up having a less than ideal surface finish. I always use the hand lap 400 grit + method when the engine will see extreme combustion pressures.

Clinical
05-12-2014, 02:54 PM
Humm, I can't remember anyone by that name from back in the day and figured I was as old of a fart as possible. Thats cool if he can, I just never knew anyone around the CF/Waterloo area had such a thing. Running 11's back in the day in a DSM was crazy for this area or Iowa in general.

I'm sure the OEM gasket will be fine also. Just need to avoid deeper surface scratches near the combustion ring. Sometimes people clean off the surfaces with too course of a roloc disks, etc which can be easy, but end up having a less than ideal surface finish. I always use the hand lap 400 grit + method when the engine will see extreme combustion pressures.
Yeah he's actually here in Burlington. I think he's on the forum here as Evo-tuner or something but I know he doesn't get on much. I just see him on dsmtuners now and then mostly just buying/selling injectors as that's his main side business he mostly does on ebay. He was definitely part of the oldschool crowd, I know he ran low or mid 12's on the 14b and race gas with an AFC for tuning and then I think 11.8@115 or something on the 16g with 27psi AFC on race gas.

I'm just hoping for this headgasket to last a year or so, since after I graduate next May I'm considering moving to Des Moines if I don't go on for a Masters or double major - and at that point I'd also either put the car on the back burner til the winter when I'd like to pull the motor and work on rebuilding the harness and cleaning it up a bunch.

Clinical
05-13-2014, 10:18 PM
Pulled the head tonight.. didn't do anything else because I spent all day driving to Cedar Falls getting the rest of my stuff and then shopping and riding my sv650 back to Burlington freezing my ass off.

Came home, went and got the 14mm deep 12pt socket I was missing for the headstuds from a buddy and pulled it off just to have a look.
No serious carnage or anything, pistons definitely were cleaner than they should be especially #2 in my opinion - from coolant leaking past the gasket.

Pretty certain it's just the result of previous owner slapping on a MLS gasket without proper surfacing.. perfect example of why I'm just going to run an OEM composite gasket until I pull the motor either this winter or next summer/winter... or until something goes boom.

Also think I might take the time to type up a new thread. This thing has gotten long and lots of random offtopic shit + doesn't make sense since it's not a DD anymore and wont(hopefully) ever be my DD again unless the civic temporarily ever goes under the knife for anything. Would just like a clean thread again.

anyways here's a few pictures
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10371527_10202953737778165_5199427440954489935_n.j pg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10356350_10202953737458157_4625521249047526876_n.j pg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-prn2/t1.0-9/10173647_10202953738578185_1146975658570042940_n.j pg

Clinical
05-14-2014, 02:36 AM
Figure i'll just put his here too - this is why too many projects is a bad thing. Luckily with this I've been having a guy I know tackle this since I didn't have time with school and I'm not familiar with bikes.

Bought this 03 KLX400S (same thing as a 2003 DRZ400S) - fairly modded/built only 6k miles - in August. Ran really great on test ride and for first day, then thought battery was bad - ended up the stator backed out. Gave it to him to replace stator since my fall semester started. Then he found it only had 20% compression and found the cause was a burnt valve. Replaced it finally in December and by February he still couldn't get it to actually start. I was about to give up on it, and then today he said he tore it back down confused and found the rings were stuck/seized! So now it's going to have a new top end and bottom end pretty much after all the work put into it.

I was just thinking how eerie it'll be if at last, all 4 of my vehicles run and drive at the same time.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/t1.0-9/10245408_10202952034495584_7360516983493655454_n.j pg

Clinical
05-20-2014, 03:00 AM
got the head back on the other day.
Yesterday I picked up a nice mishimoto aluminum radiator that even have the mishimoto fans, one as a pusher one as pull - for $50 as well as a few misc things I needed like plug/wiring.

Tonight I got everything back together. Repainted my intercooler too to a nice flat black to try to keep it kind of going with a stealth look.
Just needs an oil change, rewiring my CAS and O2 plugs, connect the battery - and fire it up! Will drive it a bit tomorrow to check for leaks/issues then when brad gets off work we're going to make sure base timing is set correctly. Then a boost leak test and I'll start tuning on it. Want to have her all ready to roll for Midnight Mayhem friday night.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc3/t1.0-9/10308315_10202989104702316_6178891265599384704_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/t1.0-9/10361597_10202990908067399_8753534298299498598_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-frc1/t1.0-9/10259870_10202990907707390_6705134554661836186_n.j pg

Clinical
05-22-2014, 04:10 PM
Got her back together today. Started it the other day but the o2 wiring came apart so after I fired it up and ran it a bit I went to re-wire the o2 and another pin pulled out. I couldn't find replacement pins anywhere so I took my CAS plug and cut it since it uses the same pins and I had a new CAS anyway for it. Well a friend re-wired my new cas plug and wired a couple wires backwards while I was re-doing my exhaust. So last night I just hard-wired the o2 sensor since I didn't have much other option but it works fine. Just another harness issue of the many, some day this will get a new harness. I fixed the CAS wiring and cleaned it up.

Drove it today for the first time, filled her with some E85 and started tuning. She pulls great and doesn't push a drop of coolant.

Still wants to heat up slightly and the mishimoto fans are odd and only turn on with my ac switch. So i just keep my heat on lowest setting with the ac switch on for now.
Then the smaller mishimoto fans while nice do not flow as well as the stock fans so I might swap the stockers onto the mishimoto radiator at another time + then my old wiring will work and they'll kick on correctly.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1.0-9/10313080_10203005924082790_8835258004502432156_n.j pg

Drifte
05-23-2014, 05:48 AM
If you dont have an a/c condenser, you really shouldnt have any cooling issues. First I'd make sure one fan comes on as it should, and the second can come on with your a/c switch or whatever. Also make sure the fans are wired in the right direction. Maybe try a new and cooler thermostat?

Clinical
05-24-2014, 02:09 PM
Video of the pile breaking into the 11's last night. Still only 20psi (fluctuating up to 22psi at times) on the little 16g.
http://youtu.be/3BUlX2ADN-A

If you dont have an a/c condenser, you really shouldnt have any cooling issues. First I'd make sure one fan comes on as it should, and the second can come on with your a/c switch or whatever. Also make sure the fans are wired in the right direction. Maybe try a new and cooler thermostat?
It never really gets above 200-203 so I guess I might be exaggerating, but I do think the mishimoto fans aren't doing near as well as stockers.

derek072887
05-24-2014, 02:13 PM
no wonder your car breaks all the time, you call it mean things

Clinical
05-24-2014, 06:46 PM
threw this together to show all 3 of my runs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv-EX5_oybc

Clinical
06-18-2014, 11:07 PM
nothing really new to post about the car, still running and driving great. Still pretty much daily driving it and beating on it pretty frequently. Thrashed it a good amount tonight.
Considering racing it at the Conesville Rumble in the Stalks event Saturday. Not for sure on that yet.. definitely want to take it to Cordova on july 4th.

Right now I'm hunting some decent stock GST wheels or some other stock 16' wheels that look good still. Soon as I find a set I plan to buy a set of BF Goodrich g-Force Comp2 tires in 225/50/16's. Not drag radials by any means but should help a LOT with my traction issues in 1st gear. My 205 wal-mart tires are just a nightmare trying to get this car to launch decent, but I'm sure my axles/trans/rear and stuff all like spinning more than hooking.

Recent pictures from the other day.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfa1/t1.0-9/10462531_10203163812509902_1794435405251703928_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10458444_10203163811469876_2723314531194340071_n.j pg

Clinical
06-22-2014, 12:48 AM
Wasn't planning on going to Conesville for the Rumble in the Stalks event since my next track visit I really wanted to try for a better time and there's no clocks at conesville + it's only 1/8th mile, but decided last minute to do it.
Definitely was a fun time overall. Made 5 passes, only got 4 recorded since I messed up the gopro on one. Managed to win all my runs. Raced my buddy's 79 plymouth volare and beat him then we grudge raced again for a little caesar's pizza. His car is built for spray but hasn't been sprayed yet. Ran a best of 11.5 on motor at Cordova. We all definitely had a blast.

Here's some video of the action:
http://youtu.be/hmSIFHL2nsA

Pictures:

Heading out at 9am, all the other street cars on the trailers :boobies:, ended up being the one car who drove up - although technically the red mustang drove up about half the way since his trailer tire blew out.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10458669_10203200840315574_8512908639358591229_n.j pg

racing pictures
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10352335_10203205638275520_3594468920328040337_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10393846_10203205638355522_5874747546163746677_n.j pg
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10435639_10203205638395523_8802321706302591859_n.j pg
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10404226_10203205638315521_1353809423116548550_n.j pg

Stutz
06-22-2014, 11:09 AM
Did you stick around for the heads up for $ racing? I always plan on going to it but never do. Dont want some rat rod to plow into my car since the track seems pretty sketchy.

Clinical
06-22-2014, 12:52 PM
No I ended heading home around 3:30 when they were going to be shutting down for a half hour. Just was tired and had stuff I wanted to get done back home yet.
I was worried about the same but all went well. Wasn't sure that I'd have fun at it but it was a definite blast. I definitely would go again.

AutoMods
06-22-2014, 05:57 PM
looked like fun. few more track visits without breaking and we might have to call that dsm "reliable"

Clinical
06-22-2014, 11:13 PM
looked like fun. few more track visits without breaking and we might have to call that dsm "reliable"
Thanks dick, now it's going to break next track visit.

Actually it'll be on a trailer though for July 4th. Since Brad's car is out of the game for awhile he offered to pull me up and it's only going to cost me like an extra $10 in gas so I figured why not.

I'm almost scared to get a decent set of tires on the car, I think spinning through 1st on my junk 205 all seasons is one thing that has kept my axles happy.

AutoMods
06-23-2014, 10:12 AM
I'm almost scared to get a decent set of tires on the car, I think spinning through 1st on my junk 205 all seasons is one thing that has kept my axles happy.

I think spinning can help you keep the rpm's up too. You might get some dead hook bogging the launch with a set of sticky tires on there , never know.

Clinical
07-01-2014, 10:19 AM
Yeah that's true too, though it doesn't take much to keep this 16g spooled.

I did finally get rid of the 20psi wastegate spring setup and put in a 14.5psi spring, then put on Brad's boost controller since mine was annoying to use. Got it set at 25psi now, have dialed in the tune now on it. Still could use a bit more leaning out but it's safe right now at 12.0-12.2 afr's through WOT. Then could use 2-3 degrees of timing in areas. Still in the 15 degree range in places where I should honestly be running 17-18.

Either way car feels much quicker especially in 3rd gear now. Excited to see what it'll do Friday night, though I'm sure it's just going to spin worse now.
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/p417x417/10511123_10203227652985874_1253728022247928479_n.j pg

AutoMods
07-01-2014, 06:58 PM
Yeah that's true too, though it doesn't take much to keep this 16g spooled.

I did finally get rid of the 20psi wastegate spring setup and put in a 14.5psi spring, then put on Brad's boost controller since mine was annoying to use. Got it set at 25psi now, have dialed in the tune now on it. Still could use a bit more leaning out but it's safe right now at 12.0-12.2 afr's through WOT. Then could use 2-3 degrees of timing in areas. Still in the 15 degree range in places where I should honestly be running 17-18.

Either way car feels much quicker especially in 3rd gear now. Excited to see what it'll do Friday night, though I'm sure it's just going to spin worse now.
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/p417x417/10511123_10203227652985874_1253728022247928479_n.j pg

how lean did you want? anywhere in the 11's and i'm usually happy. i used to run 20-23 timing

Clinical
07-01-2014, 09:04 PM
12.4-12.5's is usually where I feel the car runs best and is still a bit below 12.8 which is apparently a 'perfect' spot to shoot for but I like to have a little safety cushion.
I think I'm going to keep fuel where it's at though for now and just bump my timing up a bit.

Clinical
07-02-2014, 08:00 PM
Finally got a set of wheels and tires on this pile, thanks to Brent for the deal. His 2gb GSX's with BFG drag radials.

Hopefully now I get enough traction to break stuff like all the cool kids.
https://scontent-b-sjc.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10377440_10203290373913858_623328664157029825_n.jp g

Clinical
07-03-2014, 07:00 PM
Better pictures today with the new wheels and rag radials
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10447080_10203295799929505_7821532204894461797_n.j pg?oh=df586ec444beef2dbd1ffe3536c84ba1&oe=542E5F0D&__gda__=1412119896_d501e1dce3369d8b7d977da78de30eb f
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10414509_10203295797489444_1135404472383677573_n.j pg
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10524706_10203294570858779_5464204990660363438_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10513373_10203295800289514_982001774503710685_n.jp g

Clinical
07-06-2014, 10:37 PM
Well car ran 11.6@112 friday night with the intercooler piping blowing apart in 4th. Then ran 11.7@117mph.
60ft wasn't much better, did get 1.7's but the track was just terrible. Then the way they cancelled the shootout again burned me.

I think its about time I quit going to the Midnight Mayhems. Even though I did run a new best, overall the night was a let down. Really annoyed I let the car sit after my 2nd pass to just wait for the shootout then it got cancelled, could of made a few more passes throughout the night.

Probably wont see the track again til early August. I'm putting the car down to fix a few things I've been putting off for a long time: Fuel tank/sending unit, e-brake cables, fixing up my exhaust in the rear a bit, welding beads on my intercooler piping to avoid another mishap, and actually getting my rear battery mounted correctly instead of loosely in a battery box with a strap holding it. Also contemplating a street/dd friendly but proper cage since I'd like the car to be fully legal for tech since i'm tired of worried about being stopped for stuff. That's one reason I've gone to midnight events is that the tech is almost non-existant.

Then just some maintenance like rear diff fluid/xfer case. I might pull the trans to inspect the clutch since rewatching video of my passes in the 2nd pass I think i might of heard it slip for a split second. I'd like to see what condition its in and ultimately decide whether or not I should put in my twin disc now or keep it for the future.

Also have some FIC 1150cc injectors to swap in place of my 950s, a new manifold, and o2 housing. Not changing the setup much outside of that. I've decided my ultimate goal for the car this year is to get a 11.5 out of it if I can which I'll be plenty happy with coming from the 16g. I've thought about turbo shopping to try to squeeze a 10.9 but the car has been good to me like this so far and I'd rather keep it simple and somewhat reliable right now. Considering making the move from DSMLink V2 to ECMLink V3 for some extended features as well.

https://scontent-a-lga.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10441934_10203303037070429_8984804532474115423_n.j pg

Clinical
07-07-2014, 12:11 AM
Video from the passes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cxudXAWoZOQ&

Sleepy
07-07-2014, 06:45 AM
The car looks really good with the second gen wheels on it.

This could be a dumb question however, is the mph due to awd? For a fwd car to be mid 11's it would be in the low 120's.

Clinical
07-07-2014, 12:24 PM
I think the car might of ran around 119-120mph with a perfect run but that 11.6 pass the intercooler piping blew apart so I was pretty much out of it for the last portion of 4th gear. The second run I'm starting to think was accurate because it spun fairly bad and then i think it sounds in 2nd gear the clutch might have slipped.
Have to keep in mind it ran 11.9@116mph on 5 less pounds of boost, and less timing.

Clinical
07-19-2014, 03:32 PM
making the move from ecmlink v2 to v3.
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/t1.0-9/10537034_10203381196064355_82552736427745585_n.jpg

fuel tank now has new studs for the sending unit
http://i61.tinypic.com/112hmdg.jpg
http://i60.tinypic.com/2qnms8y.jpg

few pictures from before I put the car down to start the upgrades/fixes.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10451070_10203320970038742_6519336151088211900_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t1.0-9/10464159_10203320971318774_6424530914054887970_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10446643_10203320971598781_4441800540013033055_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10448817_10203320972598806_356694630748391994_n.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10488029_10203320974878863_7493446242643862795_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10360964_10203320990639257_4073210461516548213_n.j pg

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10517975_10203335232515295_3080730148832664847_n.j pg

this little guy has been being pretty good to me, going to keep him around for awhile longer
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10537832_10203335601804527_5532589750792323492_n.j pg

Also sold my 950cc injectors and picked up a set of FIC 1150s to give me a bigger cushion since my IDC's were getting up there. Just sold my V2 DSMLink today so the upgrade to v3 only ended up costing me $50.

Then also my buddy is parting out his car and letting me take all of his interior which is gray cloth. My interior is about 7/10 mostly because of the front seats. I also just don't really like the tan interior anyway, so the project starting monday when I get back into town is going to be to start swapping the gray interior into my car. Will be nice too because my car has no rear carpet in the trunk or anything and I'd like to have it again, so with his I'll have it all - even the carpet trunk cover itself. I won't miss leather at all, just not a fan of it. Only thing I'll really need to do is get headliner. My tan headliner is in great condition so I'll probably be lazy and put it off for awhile and deal with it being mismatched, but eventually will probably just do a DIY black headliner.

Also going to steal Colton's idea and do something about the space below my single din radio, here's what he had done in the talon with it, and is what I'm going to do since I can get the nameplate off my buddy's door sill.
http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/C1inical/IMG_0518.jpg

Xboosted23X
07-20-2014, 05:47 PM
Are you taking this to the shootout?

Clinical
07-20-2014, 07:01 PM
The DSM shootout in Ohio? Right now I'm hoping to go, it's the week before my classes start. If I do I'll probably just drive it there. If I had enough people from down here that want to go and pitch in for the trip I'd trailer it and run it there too but not enough guys here who want to go.

Otherwise if you're talking about the IAF shootout I'll definitely be there.

Xboosted23X
07-20-2014, 07:09 PM
We have 9 people heading out to the dsm shootout. Do you have a room or anything?

Clinical
07-21-2014, 08:25 AM
no if I go it'll end up being a last minute thing haha, + I thought I might just camp out at the track since I read that a lot of people do that, especially if I ended up going alone.

Clinical
07-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Sold the dsmlink v2 so my v3 is mostly paid for now!

Came back home today from spending the weekend in cedar falls, swung by to pick up some wheels from a guy off craigslist. 4 GST wheels in good shape (by that I mean no bends/bad rash) that just need cleaned and the plastidip stripped off and then re-painted. I'll probably just plastidip them again. Only paid $50 for the set, going to put my basically new street tires on them so I can quit putting wear on my drag radials from daily driving on them.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10419462_10203412453245765_506128431874627001_n.jp g

Then when I got home, my personalized plates finally arrived

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10525765_10203413433030259_4428270493195716948_n.j pg

Xboosted23X
07-21-2014, 06:35 PM
Well get a hold of Brent if you go out. You could caravan out with us. We are leaving late thursday night.

Clinical
08-16-2014, 12:23 AM
Figured I could update this.

Ended up not being able to go to the shootout, just too much going on finishing up getting some hours at work before I move back to CF for the semester + a bunch of other family stuff. Really sucks, I'm going to do everything I can to go next year.

So I also think its set in stone I found my car to keep after all the cars I've gone through, I had posted my car for 7k saying if someone offered me 7 i'd take the money and run and probably start my turbo LS build I want to do. Well last weekend I had a guy all set to come from Indiana to give me 7k and I text him last minute before he was going to head out and told him I couldn't let it go. So there you have it, I turned down 7k for a 20 year old dsm that is half stock.

Anyways, finished the fuel tank got it back in. Did some other misc maintenance.
I also took off my trans front case cover and found the nut on the end of the input shaft freely spinning on the end of the threads which is why it has been popping out of 5th gear. After putting it back together, it was leaking a bunch of trans fluid, brad realized there was a long crack along the top where the nut had been beating the shit out of the cover. We called around at 1am (this was the night before a big car show + cordova) and couldn't find anyone to weld it so we ran to wal-mart and coated it in JB weld. Holding perfect, so probably just going to leave it as it is, it's near the top of the cover so I'm not too worried about it.

Took the car to the track and ran 3 11.6 passes, and a couple 11.8s. Best was 11.6@119. Best mph was 121 on the 11.8 pass. Boost at 23psi. Got the car tuned pretty good now, much more confident with my tune now with V3, just is way easier to get it down pat than with v2. I still have it a bit rich but I like to be on the safe side. Running 11.5-11.8 afrs for the most part. Also the passes were all on street tires. I took my drag radials with me but the clutch slipped on the first pass and I don't think the clutch could handle the drag radials. Going to look to do the clutch this winter if I can stretch my luck with my current one until then.

Midnight Mayhem was for once pretty good at Cordova. There was a lot less stupid shit for once and a lot of badass cars that showed up. I thought there was no way I'd win the shootout with the RB swapped 300zx there. He had an issue on the line and I took the win against him in the first round, raced a low 12 second WRX and ended up winning the shootout. It was a $300 payout since the last two got cancelled, so the trip was certainly worth it to me. I'm debating whether not I want to go to the Mayhem on the 29th but not sure since i plan to race at CF on September 6th when the IAF shootout is going on, and not sure if I want to race both events. + I'll be in Cedar Falls by then and driving the car all the way to Cordova just to run another mayhem doesn't sound as enticing to me as it used to considering how disappointed I was in the earlier mayhems this summer. So I might just stick to CFR for the rest of the season.

I'd still like to see an 11.5 out of the car without changing anything, hell it should be good for a 11.2-11.4 but I need some driver mod + I'm not sure if the clutch has it in it.

Anyway here's some random recent photowhoring

Definitely doesn't look as good with the GST wheels and street tires as it does with the GSX wheels and bfg drag radials, but its nice not using up the life of the radials anymore needlessly
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/10547480_10203486937347821_6758286315118750628_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/t1.0-9/10299052_10203486943667979_7782280542160282262_n.j pg
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/10547533_10203486943947986_5038704964957841770_n.j pg?oh=734ef3090edd6d34cc1baae199dd738a&oe=5472A142
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/13611_10203533823879955_4586599825781383192_n.jpg

other randoms
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10568929_10203495072991207_4365080623693840935_n.j pg?oh=aa09bb7aeac40394c54f9402ab4034d7&oe=54620261
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10346295_10203451646945583_3527715568046392339_n.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/36604_10203451645505547_9015927642729877164_n.jpg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10177922_10203451640305417_1453217310362123326_n.j pg?oh=3303a3530dfcb5d8edff2ff919af4a09&oe=5475C60F&__gda__=1417564506_61a47cc4c9724dc03e33afc0b3bf80c 2

also picked up another bike again, told myself I wouldn't own another 600 i4 crotch rocket, but couldn't pass up the deal on this one. 99 R6 with 9k miles, pretty mint. Honestly for the deal I got though I'm just trying to trade it for something I want, like a fz6/sv650n/fz1/bandit1200/etc. Random group photo, also starring civnasty which I haven't driven for almost 3 weeks.
https://scontent-a-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfa1/v/t1.0-9/10612821_10203558022324901_8598232225753530511_n.j pg?oh=06066505c8b0bb322241f54e1f3f490c&oe=547E96F9

AutoMods
08-16-2014, 04:58 PM
you better save some clutch life for the iaf shootout ;) yea 7k is a lot for a 1g, hell 2g's too. price must be going back up

Clinical
08-26-2014, 01:22 PM
you better save some clutch life for the iaf shootout ;) yea 7k is a lot for a 1g, hell 2g's too. price must be going back up

Just sent in my registration fee, even though I don't even see a slim chance of winning anything. Honestly should of just ran the T&T and not bothered with the shootout haha, but figured screw it - might be the only year I'm really able be in it.

anywho, no real updates on the car. threw my rear seats back in it (so it's a street car again now) before I drove it the 3 hours back up here to Cedar Falls for the school semester. Got all 3 of my vehicles up here now.
I'm still pretty much daily driving the talon. I actually found myself rather surprised when I realized I bought the car January 1st 2014 this year. I've already put 9,000 miles on it. Even I didn't realize I've driven it this much. I really do daily drive it though, even though I have my civic. I've put maybe 50-100 miles on the civic since I bought it excluding the couple runs between Cedar Falls and Burlington I've made in it just because it does get about 36mpg on the highway as opposed to the talon's 24mpg, granted that's on E85. So far I'm back to daily driving it up here at school now, civic hasn't moved since I dropped it off up here almost 2 weeks ago.

Hopefully nothing catastrophic breaks and it keeps being good to me, I'd like to keep the talon in CF til October or November which then I'll be driving it back to Burlington and storing it through winter. I'd honestly love to drive it through another winter, last winter was honestly fun even being lowered with cheap all-seasons - however the roads in Cedar Falls that ate up my stock swirl wheels are what are going to keep me off of it. + I really dont want to give the car any reason to rust when I have civnasty.

Winter project ideas for the talon are probably just going to be interior, some touchups to the wiring, and maybe doing some turbo shopping. I love the 16g but I'd really like something with a bit more potential, considering going to an FPGreen since I liked my one in my old laser. Ideally I'd love a HTA68 but they're way too expensive in my opinion for the gains I'd get over my 16g when I could get a nice used FPGreen for around $400.

random boring picture from the drive up
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t1.0-9/10612878_10203613267425994_1741076743498783074_n.j pg

The Laser
08-27-2014, 09:15 AM
Should have asked me for seats. I have a pair of grey cloths that are taking storage space. Looks good though

Clinical
08-27-2014, 09:45 AM
what front ones do you have? My buddy actually parted out his 1g and has full gray cloth interior that I'm taking that is in great shape but the front seats aren't the nice buckets that I want that are simply cloth versions of my leather ones. Basically the adjustable buckets.

These are the style I really want
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b385/BaddAssGst/FrontSeats-2.jpg

can't find a good picture but these are the ones I basically don't need
http://www.cars-directory.net/pics/mitsubishi/eclipse/1991/mitsubishi_eclipse_2974358_4_orig.jpg

The Laser
08-27-2014, 03:55 PM
Ah, 90% certain I have the ones you don't want. I'll check this weekend when I have time.

The Laser
09-02-2014, 09:40 AM
Yea, mine are the ones you don't want

Dorny1
09-17-2014, 10:51 PM
only three words...needs more low... :D

Clinical
02-23-2015, 09:32 AM
So I've been kind of MIA from this thread for awhile.

So late August, not even racing or anything I started to have some 2nd gear issues. Nothing catastrophic - but enough that I didn't want to chance it as the trans shifted amazing besides the 1-2 shift starting to get scratchy. So I took it back home and left it in storage though I still drove it every time I came back in the Fall.

I also ended up buying a buddy's car for "parts" - i originally just wanted the FMIC setup off it and offered him $300 for the FMIC and he told me to just take the whole car for $400.
I ended up making out like a bandit with this deal.
Bought the car for $400 - it came with the 6bolt frankenstein block - evo9 piston/1g rod combo - still in good condition.
Also came with a good trans, transfercase, nice unhacked wiring harness, full mint interior, poly motor mounts, new wally 255, stm braided brake line & abs delete, mint mishimoto rad & rad hoses, etc etc.

I took the FMIC & rad setup for my car. I still need to put them in, I plan to sell my fmic setup for $200 and my mishimoto rad im currently running for $50.
I also took the trans from the car and put it in mine over my winter break, it works great. I plan to beef up my old trans while its out, nothing major but I do want to do double synchros, evo3 1st gear, and a 4spider center diff. Until then though the trans from the parts car is working great.
I then sold the parts car for $700 after taking what i wanted from it. I do wish I could of had its interior but it was a good selling point for it.

I also found when I pulled my trans my clutch and flywheel were pretty much not worth re-using. So I ordered up a custom clutch from Tim Zimmer, it's his southbend HD TZ/B kevlar/ceramic dual friction clutch. I have 1500 miles on it so far and it's definitely my favorite clutch I've ever had in a DSM so far.
I've been daily driving the car again since I put in the extra trans.

Anyway I finally decided to start spending some money on the car, I'm refreshing the frankenstein block as I'll be honest - I expect to grenade my stock block this summer. Just has a lot of hard miles on it now and I'm surprised it keeps taking the abuse.

I picked up a walbro 450lph e85 pump.
Also picked up a freshly rebuilt 7blade HX40 turbo setup including a SIM tubular recirc o2 housing and tial v-band 38mm wastegate, turbo is in a BEP .55ar housing. It'll choke the peak potential of the turbo but give me better spool which for as low as my goals are vs what the potential of the turbo is - it should be perfect for me. Also got a new FP intake with the setup.

Here's some newer pictures.

From a november photoshoot I did, also made it into the dsmtuners 2015 calendar.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/10518307_10204152194978846_5654318426384409792_o.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1655786_10204152194738840_8411203094431429307_o.jp g
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/1899809_10204152189298704_6173784090382017379_o.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10714327_10204675842909717_5398340157444594954_o.j pg

from trans/clutch swap
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/1782534_10204482223149344_6939551651235546886_o.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10865774_10204482223349349_6067899686524217635_o.j pg
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/t31.0-8/1898536_10204482223509353_4312952621432842110_o.jp g
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10933922_10204683267655331_100568274394527800_n.jp g?oh=3e201b2f11e3d9d8600f56216a5b1149&oe=554D96D7&__gda__=1435915616_6361110260e152cc6e818ea43b5237b 9
check out that nasty engine bay
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/1469976_10204684264480251_1331780821142203604_n.jp g?oh=063c5cfa24b142a802c47f2c23eae4ff&oe=55930380&__gda__=1435174841_a05c8129bca9086d471922578da7038 e

selling off the parts car
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10665678_10204826790243306_6192438545805347546_n.j pg?oh=62946c148c3c534658e2bbf614a9c2e6&oe=5587DFD9&__gda__=1435596940_4e10da61f0c6052518e2ade926f5535 c

of course I had to play in the snow we got a few weeks back
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t31.0-8/10960475_10204781340507091_7169871581511363848_o.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1796860_10204781340707096_8700488508171232242_o.jp g

the new goods for 2015
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/v/t1.0-9/10530851_10204893874880380_3674206194861561242_n.j pg?oh=ad216d6cc7fc17c47d6354f3cfb947dc&oe=5585BE8F&__gda__=1434862651_cfe50afa313169d41fc10cdd34122dc 0
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/10974456_10204939415378864_1352712394424509092_o.j pg
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/t31.0-8/11021483_10204939416298887_3051845669496433517_o.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/t31.0-8/11021526_10204939416818900_8253849708872899403_o.j pg
https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t31.0-8/1669874_10204939428459191_3998916346348743257_o.jp g
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/1507647_10204245803639004_1046005725054775298_n.jp g?oh=e1dce93eba50426eca8636f2676b00d7&oe=554F7200

AutoMods
02-24-2015, 10:48 AM
nice deal on the parts car.

i've had an nice punishments ss o2 housing in stock i've been wanting to get rid off, wish you grabbed it off my hands :(

Clinical
02-24-2015, 09:35 PM
nice deal on the parts car.

i've had an nice punishments ss o2 housing in stock i've been wanting to get rid off, wish you grabbed it off my hands :(

Yeah I just couldn't pass this deal up, if you separate everything I got with the turbo setup - I basically paid $300 for the o2 housing/wastegate combined or $150 each which I haven't been able to find a cheap o2 housing to save my life and I've been looking for one since summer since my 2g mani with the 38mm flange is ugly.