PDA

View Full Version : Trans cooler fan questions

Phish
10-23-2013, 09:52 AM
I have a trans cooler on the TH350 i am running. It has a fan mounted on the cooler. I am not happy with how its wired and was going to rewire all the fans in the front of the car. I have no clue where its getting a signal from to turn on. I was curious where everyone was getting their signal wire for the trans cooling fan to turn on. I have read some using the fuel pump activation wire from the pcm... not sure if that would be the best option. Others are jsut tying it into the fans for the radiator. When they turn on the trans cooler fan comes on as well. Any ideas guys?

Sleepy
10-23-2013, 10:47 AM
Would you be able to wire a trans temp sensor to have the fan turn on and off. I would imagine the trans would generate more heat at different times than the cooling system would.

Phish
10-23-2013, 11:12 AM
^ which is why i dont wnat to hav it tied into the Rad fans. (I think thats how it is now) I dont have a trans temp gauge or sensor at the moment. I am sure they make such a thing. However, i dont think you can have it - too cool - So if i could get by without wiring up a sensor that would be a good thing.

Sleepy
10-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Then why not set it up to come on with ignition?

Phish
10-23-2013, 12:22 PM
That would be way to simple

Sleepy
10-23-2013, 12:43 PM
I assume the th350 needs to warm up some before beating on it. Most transmissions do not like being hammered on with cold fluid.
Searching for a few minutes kind of left me more confused, probably does not help that I know nothing about the th350.

However from what I can tell the trans needs to be 20-30 degrees cooler than the engine. I would get a temp gauge and see if you need the fan at all.

http://ls1tech.com/forums/automatic-transmission/1329441-th350-operating-temperture-debate-need-advice.html
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/chevy/573971-th350-running-temps.html

Sunny Z
10-23-2013, 12:43 PM
1. Are you sure its actually turning on?

2. Is there a cooler inside the radiator that it runs through?

3. If 1 & 2 don't give you any ideas, just give up.

Phish
10-23-2013, 12:45 PM
1. No clue at all if its actually turning on.

2. No cooler inside the rad. This is the only cooler on the transmission...

3. Giving up...

Phish
10-23-2013, 01:05 PM
I have fount temp. switches for the cooling fans but they turn on and off at to high of a temp. I cant seem to find something that is a little cooler. if i wanted one that was on and off at a rad. type temp, i would jsut wire it into the rad. (which is most likely why its that way now). Is this what most people do ?

1badheadgasket
10-23-2013, 01:46 PM
I didn't let my r154 warm up when driving it once, and thats when it went BOOM! It can be too cool.

I have heard of people wiring it into a fan relay kit with sensor etc. (just like cooling fans, just on another set up)

I am going to be running a gauge, and no fans for the time being. I would like to see where temps are at before thinking about putting in a fan. Will have my sensor at the outlet to the trans cooler(hot side).

Phish
10-23-2013, 02:13 PM
Do they sell a sensor that goes low enough to work for a trans fan? I read that your shooting for 150-170 on a TH350

RedRocketZ28
10-23-2013, 03:03 PM
Do you need a fan at all? I have a cheap external cooler (going to upgrade to run stainless braided line) and it never got over 190* when beating the shit out of it. Usually stayed in the 160-170 range and would cool down pretty quick on the highway.

1badheadgasket
10-23-2013, 03:20 PM
Do you need a fan at all? I have a cheap external cooler (going to upgrade to run stainless braided line) and it never got over 190* when beating the shit out of it. Usually stayed in the 160-170 range and would cool down pretty quick on the highway.

I also was wondering this. I know most vehicles even vehicles with "tow opitons" have external trans coolers(not just the cooler in the radiator) but they hardly ever have cooling fans for them.

Andy, with temps like that, I wouldn't even worry about a trans cooler.

The only time I could see it getting hot is when sitting on the stall at the line. Besides that, I don't really see temps getting out of hand at all. When do you guys see temps spike the most?

Phish
10-23-2013, 06:05 PM
I dont have a gauge on it. So i dunno if its getting hot. The only time i have worried about it is long highway trips. Like back from omaha running 75 the whole way with no OD.... Not sure how it likes it. So basically i need a gauge and go from there

sparkles
10-23-2013, 08:19 PM
T56. Done. You're welcome.

1badheadgasket
10-23-2013, 08:28 PM
T56. Done. You're welcome.

And we got a joker!

Sunny Z
10-23-2013, 08:36 PM
maybe something like this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/220-240V-Temperature-Controller-Temp-Thermostat-switch-relay-incubation-control-/360683163565

sparkles
10-23-2013, 10:02 PM
And we got a joker!
Dead serious

Newgen
10-23-2013, 11:00 PM
My kit came with a switch. Juries still out on if I'm actually going to use it. Probably going to just wire it to the ignition.

Phish
10-24-2013, 05:42 AM
Like a temp switch? Any idea what temp it comes on and turns off at ?

Scott
10-24-2013, 06:08 AM
I dont have a gauge on it. So i dunno if its getting hot. The only time i have worried about it is long highway trips. Like back from omaha running 75 the whole way with no OD.... Not sure how it likes it. So basically i need a gauge and go from there

Mine stalls about 4000 rpm on motor, and it actually cools down on the hwy. It takes friction to make heat and most of that is in the torque converter, and the converter doesnt make much heat unless you are putting a load thru it. on the hwy is actually pretty low load, not much slipping and lots of airflow thru a front mounted cooler. If your trans runs the same temp as the engine you will be perfectly fine. I wouldnt worry about the hwy much. If you start hitting temps around 250 for extended periods of time then you might want to address it.

Phish
10-24-2013, 06:41 AM
So your suggestion would be? Get signal from the same place as the rad fans are?

Newgen
10-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Like a temp switch? Any idea what temp it comes on and turns off at ?

I don't have the instructions anymore. I'm not certain.

Scott
10-24-2013, 12:00 PM
So your suggestion would be? Get signal from the same place as the rad fans are?

Put a temp gauge in it, you can weld a bung into the pan, get an aluminum pan already threaded, inline adapters that go into your cooler lines.. My point is you probably dont need a cooling fan, I mount the cooler couple inchs in front of the radiator so it will share some of airflow as the radiator even from the fan. If being a engineer has taught me anything its the KISS princepal