PDA

View Full Version : Need advice

koderboy
10-21-2013, 09:15 PM
Ok so I'm starting to get parts for a turbo 5.3/4.8. I got a motor wiring ecu coming not sure if 4.8 or 5.3 at the moment and a Garrett gt4082. Will this turbo work? And what cam head setup should I use? I've been told port the heads and use a vette cam. And I was told to get a 4l80e but someone else suggested a 60 so I'm asking you guys what you would use? Not looking for something crazy yet. Any help is appreciated

AutoMods
10-21-2013, 09:55 PM
there is no reason to get a 4.8l . 5.3's are the same price and you get a bigger motor with no downsides except mpg's. and for 4-5 hundred more you can get a 6.0l motor which is a bargain for the extra torque and better head options over a 5.3 . only reason i would get a 5.3 is if you are going to get the aluminum 5.3 and save some weight. or if you plan on pushing the motor at 700+ whp until it blows then i could see sticking with the cheaper motors.

the gt4082 has a 58mm compressor wheel and is too small. it would work, more so with the 4.8, but its really not something i would pick. and the outlet flange is kind of unique to garrett so it would require remaking your turbo kit after you upgrade later on.

a small fast spooling turbo on a 5.3 would be about a 70mm compressor wheel (inducer) with a 68mm (exducer) turbine wheel. with an auto you could go a bit bigger like 76mm and it would still be considered a great spooling turbo.

pm me if you want any pricing quotes on pte, turbonetics or garrett

86svo9L
10-22-2013, 07:18 AM
there is no reason to get a 4.8l . 5.3's are the same price and you get a bigger motor with no downsides except mpg's. and for 4-5 hundred more you can get a 6.0l motor which is a bargain for the extra torque and better head options over a 5.3 . only reason i would get a 5.3 is if you are going to get the aluminum 5.3 and save some weight. or if you plan on pushing the motor at 700+ whp until it blows then i could see sticking with the cheaper motors.

the gt4082 has a 58mm compressor wheel and is too small. it would work, more so with the 4.8, but its really not something i would pick. and the outlet flange is kind of unique to garrett so it would require remaking your turbo kit after you upgrade later on.

a small fast spooling turbo on a 5.3 would be about a 70mm compressor wheel (inducer) with a 68mm (exducer) turbine wheel. with an auto you could go a bit bigger like 76mm and it would still be considered a great spooling turbo.

pm me if you want any pricing quotes on pte, turbonetics or garrett

Agreed. I just went through this same issue a year ago, went with a 4.8 only to change out for a 6.0. Difference in price is not that big in the grand scheme of things. Spend the extra money and get one that is fully dressed if possible. Will save you big down the road on nickel and dime stuff.

FiFdYnUtZ
10-22-2013, 09:11 AM
Ill sell ya a built 4l60e with custom coverter, bell and tail housing with a flash drive that has a professional hptuners tune file for it...

koderboy
10-22-2013, 05:04 PM
Like I said I'm not sure what it is since the front of thee truck is gone but I can get it wiring and ecu for 200 still worthy it if it's a 4.8? And pm details on that trans

Domestic Disturbance
10-23-2013, 07:16 PM
A stock 4l60e can't hold up to stock ls1's, so either a 4l80 or something built like what chekal mentioned would be the way to go.