PDA

View Full Version : MCCI Newton HPDE Sept 14th

sparkles
08-28-2013, 01:01 PM
Just a heads up for you guys that might want to run the road course at Newton. There's been a couple events earlier this year that a few of the other guys here have posted up. The Mustang Club of Central Iowa is putting on this event.

When: Saturday, Sep. 14th
Where: Newton Speedway
Cost: $130 if registered before Sep. 1st ($160 After)

There will also be a swap meet and a car show outside as well if any of that interests you.

http://www.mustangclubofcentraliowa.org/mirror/2013MCCITrackEventFlyer.pdf

ashanson
08-28-2013, 02:43 PM
I'm in! Here is the web page with registration details, you can also register online now instead of mailing it in.
https://sites.google.com/site/mccinewtonevent/registration-info

I have a wedding at 5, so I'm going to leave before the last session at 3-4.
A friend who does Chumpcar at Newton told me it's rather small/tight for a road course, can anyone confirm? My car doesn't have a very high top speed, so it could be good for me.

sparkles
08-28-2013, 07:24 PM
Damn, wish I would have known that earlier today. I couldn't find anything about online registration. I dropped mine in the mail today anyway.

As far as the inside portion of the road course, the only experience I have is watching the Daytona Prototypes a few years back. It's not big, but not small IMHO. Couple guys have videos of it on here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bm7SKW7AXAA&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wFKSbOyp-N8

ashanson
08-29-2013, 04:02 PM
That doesn't look too bad at all. I'm going to watch these a lot and get familiar with the course ahead of time haha.

ashanson
09-09-2013, 03:24 PM
Can you get 100 unleaded or 110 leaded at the track?

sparkles
09-09-2013, 03:48 PM
I don't have a clue. They are having a pre registration and tech on Sep 11th (Wed) at Stiver's Ford from 6-8pm. I'm probably gonna go out there and do it so I don't have to worry about getting to the track super early on Saturday. You might be able to stop by there and ask and register if you haven't already.

ashanson
09-09-2013, 03:57 PM
Yea, I got the email about the pre-tech and will definitely be out there on Wednesday so I don't have to worry about it Saturday. I'll ask them if they know about the fuel situation.

bfoster50620
09-09-2013, 09:25 PM
There is a fuel tank there at the track, but it is for the race weekends. They do not have 100/110. Loves truck stop which is just off the 168 exit you take for the track has 93 octane. That is as close as it gets.

ashanson
09-09-2013, 10:00 PM
Thanks, guess I will try to find some in Des Moines and bring it over with me. Unfortunately my trunk isn't very big, I doubt I can even fit a 5 gallon container. I can probably fit several 2 gallon containers though.

Scott
09-10-2013, 07:04 AM
That looks like fun, the flyer is confusing, makes it sound like they're running at MAM but Im under the impresion its more of a autocross thing inside the newton track? is there any rules reguarding what type of cars can run?

Xboosted23X
09-10-2013, 09:34 AM
At the bottom of the flyer is the Iowa speedway event. MAM was earlier in the year I believe. They are running the roval so 3/4 of the oval and the infield. It is not auto x, and there will be no cones.

Scott
09-10-2013, 09:50 AM
Wish I would have seen this earlier, I'd love to go pick up some 13" slicks and beat around.

sparkles
09-10-2013, 05:52 PM
I'll have a support vehicle coming Andrew, so if you need to throw some jugs in you can.

ashanson
09-10-2013, 10:47 PM
Wish I would have seen this earlier, I'd love to go pick up some 13" slicks and beat around.

I think you can still register. It's open to all makes and I'm just running street tires. Wheel to wheel is a blast.

I'll have a support vehicle coming Andrew, so if you need to throw some jugs in you can.

Thanks, I'll let you know. I just found out the track manager said they have a little 110 leaded and 98 unleaded at the track, but it's $8/gallon. I'll see if I can find a place in town that's cheaper.

sparkles
09-18-2013, 06:55 AM
I was all loaded up and ready to go on Saturday. Left my house and headed to the gas station. As I was filling up I was talking to Bizzle about Phish's fuel pump issues. When I got back in my car to leave, it wouldn't start. No fuel pressure. Now what is the chances of that? After a short little heart attack and beings pissed off I just spent $130 for an event I wasn't going to be able to make, I started poking around under the hood. You could hear the relay click, but just for giggle, I swapped it out for the one that controls my fans. Viola. Bad relay. Fortunately enough, the drive there was all highway and the track is fast enough that even without the fans, I was able to keep from overheating. It was hotter than normal, but still under 220.

I had a great time and really suggest this to anyone that's interested. 3 run groups of 10ish cars, 7 sessions per group, 20 minutes per session. A lot of driving. We only ran 4 of the sessions. I didn't bring nearly enough fuel. I think a better baffled fuel cell or something might be in my future so I don't have to be above 1/2 tank of fuel. Bring some good tires if you ever want to come though. It doesn't look it, but around the apex of turns 1 and 2 of the oval, you're at about 105-110mph.

Here's the video. I literally downloaded the software to make the video and had no clue what I was doing, but I think it turned out pretty good for my inexperience editing. All the clips used were from all the runs and kinda patched together. Make sure you watch the end. It's sad. I pee'd a little.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vDpWanLy2xg&feature=youtu.be

AutoMods
09-18-2013, 12:18 PM
nice to see you out there getting on it

ashanson
09-18-2013, 02:05 PM
That slide felt like it lasted forever, but seemed really short on video. Definitely getting track insurance for future events, another mph or two and I would have been out a lot of money. Thanks for putting that together, I liked the view switches at the same point in time like over the finish line and going offroad in your car.

My tires have considerably less tread on them now, my back right tire is at least a full 32nd less than it was before :( Will probably need new tires next year

sparkles
09-18-2013, 02:30 PM
That slide felt like it lasted forever, but seemed really short on video. Definitely getting track insurance for future events, another mph or two and I would have been out a lot of money. Thanks for putting that together, I liked the view switches at the same point in time like over the finish line and going offroad in your car.

My tires have considerably less tread on them now, my back right tire is at least a full 32nd less than it was before :( Will probably need new tires next year
Mine took some decent wear too. You can see on the video right behind the rear tire during the middle section, pieces of rubber getting worn off. Also can see the suspension doing work. Bigger rear sway bar is going to be in the works too.

ashanson
09-18-2013, 02:41 PM
Yea I noticed the large difference in gap between left and right turns haha. Bigger swaybar and stiffer springs would help a lot.