PDA

View Full Version : Iowa Machine Shops

rrmccabe
07-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Looking for peoples experience with machine shops here in Iowa. Specifically ones setup for LSx work.

I am planning on stroking my LS2 (among other goodies) this winter and looking for a machine shop that has a torque plate and does good work.

I have already determined that there isn't anything decent around Des Moines.

Right now I am guessing I am going to have to put the thing on a pallet and ship it out of state. I would much rather drive it 100 miles and go back and pick it up.

Rich

AutoMods
07-28-2013, 05:54 PM
heckt power products in dysart has an ls torque plate. they did my lq4. and a 383 ls1 for slow ride on here. and slow ride has had like 5 other ls motors built for some of his friends through there. I've seen a gmpp lsx block and a bad ass aftermarket ls block in there, I think it was the world products warhawk block. they took a couple months to get mine done but they are careful and do good work.

rrmccabe
07-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Thanks sir

When the time comes I am not sure I have two months to spare as I will probably be using my current LS2 block but will check them out.

skipdownstairs
07-29-2013, 04:13 PM
Had my block bored and honed at Napa in Manchester. They also have torque plates which is a must have for the ls engines when they are bored and honed. They have good prices do great work and have a lot of other services if needed. Give them a call 563-927-2621 Ask for Scott and tell him Andy Fangman sent ya.

rrmccabe
08-04-2013, 08:13 AM
After looking around and weighing the cost of having machine work done along with new pistons and keeping my current forged rods it just doesn't make sense to build my current LS2 motor.

So more than likely I will have Texas Speed build me a 408 forged stroker using a LQ9 steel block. The cost is about the same in the end and I will at least have a LS2 long block that I can recover some money from my selling it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

AutoMods
08-04-2013, 10:08 PM
After looking around and weighing the cost of having machine work done along with new pistons and keeping my current forged rods it just doesn't make sense to build my current LS2 motor.

So more than likely I will have Texas Speed build me a 408 forged stroker using a LQ9 steel block. The cost is about the same in the end and I will at least have a LS2 long block that I can recover some money from my selling it.

Thanks everyone for your input.

make sure you add up all the little things that may not be included from TSP like front and rear covers, valley cover, cam retainer plate, crank pulley, all sensors, oil pan & windage tray, accessories & assessory brackets, gaskets etc. a lot of that little stuff could come from your ls2 or junkyard motor but may add up if you get a new shortblock and have to go source the little stuff

rrmccabe
08-05-2013, 05:39 AM
make sure you add up all the little things that may not be included from TSP like front and rear covers, valley cover, cam retainer plate, crank pulley, all sensors, oil pan & windage tray, accessories & assessory brackets, gaskets etc. a lot of that little stuff could come from your ls2 or junkyard motor but may add up if you get a new shortblock and have to go source the little stuff

All that will come off my current LS2.

rrmccabe
08-05-2013, 06:28 AM
^ Actually, I might buy another valley cover so I don't have to pull the intake and unseal the motor. But everything else will come from my 34k mile LS2.