PDA

View Full Version : Quick video of my weekend at the Iowa Speedway with the Corvette

bfoster50620
07-17-2013, 10:25 AM
Had about as much fun as a guy with no sleep could have I guess... I was being pretty easy after realizing that the closest competition was around 5 seconds slower. To put it into perspective, the second quickest car was a competent driver in a new ZR1. I definitely need to hit a track day and dial in the brake bias on the car. There is WAY too much rear brake in the car, and I didn't want to try to adjust it and find out I made it worse.

http://youtu.be/wFKSbOyp-N8

JustaGT
07-17-2013, 10:59 AM
Nice run, looks like a pretty fun course! What all is done to the vette, it sounds great and looks like it handles amazing!

bfoster50620
07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
Nice run, looks like a pretty fun course! What all is done to the vette, it sounds great and looks like it handles amazing!

It's a Lingenfelter 427 N/A motor, put down 556rwhp/527rwtq recently at Karl's. It makes plenty of power, but without any aero help, it can't put the power down so I have to be very gentle on the throttle, unless I want to make black strips.

The suspension is DRM coilovers/T1 swaybars and big brakes front and rear. All said and done, for a full interior (minus the required race seats) street car, it does pretty well on the track. I am just looking forward to going to MAM and maybe another track or two, then trying to sell it in an effort to get into a stockish c6z.

AutoMods
07-17-2013, 01:46 PM
nice. you want to replace it with a stockish c6z? is your car a bit harsh daily driving?

JustaGT
07-17-2013, 04:13 PM
It's a Lingenfelter 427 N/A motor, put down 556rwhp/527rwtq recently at Karl's. It makes plenty of power, but without any aero help, it can't put the power down so I have to be very gentle on the throttle, unless I want to make black strips.
Very nice! I've only been able to run at Marshalltown with mine, and had the same issues with traction, haha. I'd love to get down to Iowa speedway sometime, it looks like a pretty fun track.

sparkles
07-17-2013, 07:40 PM
Karl's is renting the track on Friday. I bet if you sweet talk Ryan, he could get you in.

Lookin good as always Brian. What do you think you're gonna ask for the Z?

bfoster50620
07-17-2013, 09:45 PM
nice. you want to replace it with a stockish c6z? is your car a bit harsh daily driving?

Actually, the car isn't bad to DD at all. It's not REAL loud, the only major complaint I have is that it's pretty low... I have to think about what roads to take just to avoid major bumps/dips/roadway imperfections. I have constantly thought about raising the ride height back up a bit, but it looks too good!

There was a track day out there today with the SCCA group, though I didn't have much ambition in trying to kill the car in the extreme heat, even though it's built for it.

My main complaint with the car is complicated. It's over-built for certain racing events, which requires me to wear a full on race suit and all the goodies. But it's under-built for real racing events and it's a street car. This thing needs aero parts pretty bad... If I was smart, I would've bought a full-blown racer, or just waited for the right C6Z to come along.

I have been looking into pricing on this car, and I have a pretty good idea as to what I would like to get out of it, but I don't know if I can bring myself to actually list it, it's THAT MUCH FUN TO DRIVE!

Demon_ZO6
07-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Nice! Car sounds great. You shouldn't have a problem running that car on any event once you get use to it. I run a supercharged 01 ZO6 at 630rwhp+ in drag racing, 1/2mile events, autocross, and HPDE's. I don't have a problem in any event, including our tiny autocross courses they make around here. I'm still running stock suspension, but upgraded brakes and Nitto 555RII road race tires. Are you still running basic street tires? If so...ditch 'em. It's bad enough seeing all the Vette's on the Vette Forums getting wrecked with regular street tires as it is. You should be hooking up no problem at all with only 556rwhp with the right tires. Hell, I hook just fine at 630rwhp. I agree on the aero, I could have used a bit of aero when I was running MAM...but it wasn't a deal breaker. Car was still very easily controllable with no drama.

I get what you mean about it being low though, looks like you're a little bit lower than I am. I refuse to go lower. One, it doesn't do the suspension any good no matter how good it looks (you're on coilovers so not the same case). And two, my intercooler scoop sits low as it is and hits EVERYTHING. I consider it a wearable item and don't really care.

Again, awesome car and can't wait to see more videos of it! Don't sell it, use it for everything. There's no reason you can't!

Xboosted23X
07-17-2013, 11:22 PM
Looks like it was a good time. What kind of speeds did you get up to on the oval? I wish the DMVR would host at MAM again like last year.
Lance they are having another PDX at the speedway in the next month or so.

JustaGT
07-18-2013, 07:00 AM
Lance they are having another PDX at the speedway in the next month or so.

Keep me posted on that if you decide to go!

sparkles
07-18-2013, 03:11 PM
I believe he's running Hoosiers? I was gonna steal them, but stealing from a cop sounds like a bad idea.

Demon_ZO6
07-18-2013, 03:34 PM
I believe he's running Hoosiers? I was gonna steal them, but stealing from a cop sounds like a bad idea.

Ha! Yeah, probably not a good move.

And wow...which Hooisers? Surely he has no problems with traction then. I ran the 1/2 Mile Shootout in Chicago a couple months back and was able to put my foot to the floor all the way from 1st to 5th gear with my Nitto's and only spun partway through 1st. It was a dead hook in 2nd and up. I know the Hoosiers have more grip than my tires. Also no problems at MAM either. The 427 is usually a different sort of animal with power delivery, but with the blower sitting at 12lbs...the power comes quick and is very similar. Autocross is a blast. :headbang:

sparkles
07-18-2013, 04:01 PM
Sounds like we need to put together a MAM day

bfoster50620
07-18-2013, 06:55 PM
Yep, running Hoosier A's. And yep, the power delivery is significantly different, though the 3.90 rear end may have a lot to do with that. If you youtube Brian Foster Corvette, you'll see videos from my previous c5z which had 4.10 gears and basic boltons plus supension, and you'll see that a lot of driving in that car was done with use of the throttle. This new car doesnt work as easy. Just coming onto the main part of the track, i would be sideways if i wasnt very ginger on the throttle. Same thing for the infield, you can hear when i get impatient and just nail the throttle and the car just spins. Its fun but frustrating. Either way, i didnt need to go any faster that weekend being as far ahead as i was, but you nailed it when mentioning more seat time will do me good.

Im ready for a MAM day anytime now, im thinking of a fast friday in the next couple weeks... ill look at my schedule as soon as i get home from Road America this weekend and post up a date...

Demon_ZO6
07-21-2013, 07:20 AM
I'm at Road America as well, been here the last 3 days. First time seeing all the Vintage cars and races.

So you have 3.90 gears as well? Wow yeah, that has to be a handful!

bfoster50620
07-21-2013, 07:36 AM
How do you like those can-am cars??? The old George Fulmer Shadow car makes some noise, eh? THAT was racing!

I actually found a vintage Corvette racer for sale that I may have to look into. Ever since my old man sold his '72 racecar, I've wanted to get into another one. Its a completely different skill set, almost like driving on dirt the way you slide the car... waaaaaay more fun!!!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend!!!

slow ride
07-21-2013, 07:09 PM
We just got back from RA also. Been going to the vintage races for the last 11 or 12 years. Way fun around town at night.

bfoster50620
07-21-2013, 10:06 PM
Were you there in '07 i believe it was for the big wreck? Ive missed a few years, and that year i happened to be at Sebring racing dad's old '99 hardtop. I remember seeing the pictures, and hearing the stories...

I cant remember the first year i did BRIC, much lss the first year dad took me to the Indycar weekend, but its always been a father/son trip, so needless to say... no beer and no good nighttime stories. Only real adventure i had up there was the alms race in 2003 i think.

Maybe next race season we'll have to organize a get together/cruise to RA???

slow ride
07-22-2013, 06:43 AM
I was actually right under the track in the tunnel about to make it to the pits when i noticed someone looking/pointing in horror. It was a crazy to see cars stacked up 3 high at the starting line.

Scott
07-22-2013, 08:53 AM
I should get the legends car out there on some stickies and see how it does

bfoster50620
07-25-2013, 11:48 AM
late notice but does anyone anyone want to go to mam Friday???