PDA

View Full Version : 420a turbo,

1slow420a
07-16-2013, 07:36 PM
This seems more like a domestic forum but oh well figured id give it a shot,
About 2 years ago i had but this car bone stock, then i decided it was slow as shit an decided the best way to make some power was obviously to give it some boost, an now im building to beat the 420a 1/4 mile record of 10.87 which im sure ill be beating with out a problem next summer,
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/jese4201/race.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jese4201/media/race.jpg.html)
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/jese4201/eagle6_zps46970522.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jese4201/media/eagle6_zps46970522.jpg.html)
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/jese4201/eagle7_zpscca18f56.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jese4201/media/eagle7_zpscca18f56.jpg.html)
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/jese4201/eagle9_zps1805f908.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jese4201/media/eagle9_zps1805f908.jpg.html)
http://i1177.photobucket.com/albums/x355/jese4201/billet_zps1ee7114d.jpg (http://s1177.photobucket.com/user/jese4201/media/billet_zps1ee7114d.jpg.html)
And next things to do are build my head will also be switching to megasquirt full standalone an running e85 on slicks.

Sleepy
07-16-2013, 08:41 PM
Nice car. What are the specs on the motor?

1slow420a
07-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Nice car. What are the specs on the motor?

Build list:
JE 8.8:1 forged pistons with total seal rings
Eagle rods w. ARP hardware
Melling M90 oil pump
Clevite 77 p's
Ij crank scraper with baffles and windage tray
Mechanical timing componet swap with gates belt
MLS head hasket

head WAS stock but will be getting built next an also with stage 2 crower's

AutoMods
07-16-2013, 09:01 PM
This seems more like a domestic forum but oh well figured id give it a shot,
About 2 years ago i had but this car bone stock, then i decided it was slow as shit an decided the best way to make some power was obviously to give it some boost, an now im building to beat the 420a 1/4 mile record of 10.87 which im sure ill be beating with out a problem next summer

welcome, nice car. i've owned a 2gnt and a couple 4g63's. funny you say domestic forum. it started off with a lot of imports but slowly changed over. we do need more import guys. 10.87 is a lofty goal with fwd, but it'll be interesting to watch you try. what did it run before? what is your name because you car looks familiar?

1slow420a
07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
welcome, nice car. i've owned a 2gnt and a couple 4g63's. funny you say domestic forum. it started off with a lot of imports but slowly changed over. we do need more import guys. 10.87 is a lofty goal with fwd, but it'll be interesting to watch you try. what did it run before? what is your name because you car looks familiar?

nice to see someone else who had some dsm's, an ha wasnt for sure if it was domestic or not just seems after digging around on the forum theres alot of domestic ppl compared import people, and yes 10.87 is lofty but im sure with the write power an tire set up it can be done, and have never ran a 1/4 mile before, an my name is Jesse Johonson im from southern iowa but venture up to des moines alot on the weekends,

Xboosted23X
07-16-2013, 10:21 PM
You sound pretty sure of your self. I hope it all works out for you next year. What turbo are you running and what kind of numbers are you planning on putting down? Is Dsmlink not a option for your car?

Clinical
07-17-2013, 01:51 AM
nice to see someone else who had some dsm's, an ha wasnt for sure if it was domestic or not just seems after digging around on the forum theres alot of domestic ppl compared import people, and yes 10.87 is lofty but im sure with the write power an tire set up it can be done, and have never ran a 1/4 mile before, an my name is Jesse Johonson im from southern iowa but venture up to des moines alot on the weekends,
I think a little over half the forum here has probably had DSM's. When I first joined I think # of DSM's outnumbered everyone else combined hah. I've had 6 myself, got out of the car game for a couple years after selling my fbody though but may be going back into it with DSM #7 here soon if my bikes sell.

Anyways, 10.87 seems pretty low for a record, guess I just haven't followed 420a's - so with the right build I think you should be able to beat it. Going to be all in the launch.

Drifte
07-17-2013, 06:39 AM
Used to be 90% dsm's way back when. I had 8 of them, and a couple hondas, and a subaru. Got lazy, drive a big domestic suv to cruise around.

car looks good, id say AEM or DSMLink over the megasquirt.

Sleepy
07-17-2013, 06:47 AM
Nothing wrong with megasquirt. If you have not bought one yet, go ms3 you will not regret it.

There is a guy in des moines you might know. Cody with an avenger. He has his head on backwards too. :)

What are you running for a transmission?

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 07:03 AM
You sound pretty sure of your self. I hope it all works out for you next year. What turbo are you running and what kind of numbers are you planning on putting down? Is Dsmlink not a option for your car?

sure of my self kinda of, im willing to keep changing up my set up til i get it where i need it to hit my goals. And im runnning a hahn super 20g with a billet wheel guy with a similar set up just hit 472whp so im hoping to be somewhere in that range. And no unfortunately dsmlink isnt an option for the 420a.

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 07:04 AM
I think a little over half the forum here has probably had DSM's. When I first joined I think # of DSM's outnumbered everyone else combined hah. I've had 6 myself, got out of the car game for a couple years after selling my fbody though but may be going back into it with DSM #7 here soon if my bikes sell.

Anyways, 10.87 seems pretty low for a record, guess I just haven't followed 420a's - so with the right build I think you should be able to beat it. Going to be all in the launch.

Ya i think beating 10.87 is very possible theres way faster fwd cars out there, hoping with a solid launch and some playing with the boost by gear a little i can get there.

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 07:05 AM
Used to be 90% dsm's way back when. I had 8 of them, and a couple hondas, and a subaru. Got lazy, drive a big domestic suv to cruise around.

car looks good, id say AEM or DSMLink over the megasquirt.

nice to hear there is some dsm support on here, not a drop of it over on jdmcity,
and aem an dsmlink are unfortunately not an option

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 07:08 AM
Nothing wrong with megasquirt. If you have not bought one yet, go ms3 you will not regret it.

There is a guy in des moines you might know. Cody with an avenger. He has his head on backwards too. :)

What are you running for a transmission?

Ya i will be getting the ms3 with bolt in boost by gear and everything should make it a little easier to get into the 10's with that id think, Oh ya i defintly know cody he's the one who got my foot in the door to get into the "scene" and has also helped me out with my car a crap ton, as far as transmission just a nvt350 with an lsd, people have made 600+hp on stock transmission with out lsd so im sure mine should hold up for my goals,

Drifte
07-17-2013, 07:09 AM
nice to hear there is some dsm support on here, not a drop of it over on jdmcity,
and aem an dsmlink are unfortunately not an option

Oh right yea, 420a, already forgot. IDK if that 20g is gonna get you there, but if you have it I'd run it until you're sure it cant.

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 07:23 AM
Oh right yea, 420a, already forgot. IDK if that 20g is gonna get you there, but if you have it I'd run it until you're sure it cant.

theres 14b's in the low 11's an 16g in the mid 10's so i see no reason it shouldnt, but if it doesnt the 20g will get ripped out and there will be a nice shiney precision in its place, :hail:

Drifte
07-17-2013, 07:35 AM
theres 14b's in the low 11's an 16g in the mid 10's so i see no reason it shouldnt, but if it doesnt the 20g will get ripped out and there will be a nice shiney precision in its place, :hail:

Lots of work into those cars running 14b's and 11's, probably on 4g63 awd dsm's though too. IDK, been out of the game for a little bit, but its much more common to see a dsm with a 35r running high 11's and low 12's than anything else. Thats making easy power, especially good for factory non turbo engines and fwed and unknown strength trannies. I always wanted to push my 14b, e316g, and br20g to the limit. But typically the limit is transmission not liking that torque hit, and needing to cool that fire air charge.

If you go with precision, Ryan here will hook you up. I love the latest models from pte, and it would give you a huge advantage.

Sleepy
07-17-2013, 07:50 AM
Cody's a good guy, his car should be pretty quick. Unfortunatly I am a bit like him and have had issues all summer.

The transmission should not have problems, you have solved the number one issue by going to an lsd(throwing the diff pin). Keeping axles together is a different story.

Well I wish you luck man and hopefully I am able to catch you out and about.

AutoMods
07-17-2013, 08:17 AM
its hard enough just getting the normal combo 4g63 and awd into the 10's. nobody here has done it except andy's 4g63 mustang. trevor, george, me, brent, clinical , xboosted etc all ran 11's. although brent's car should run 10's if he can get a clean pass

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 08:47 AM
its hard enough just getting the normal combo 4g63 and awd into the 10's. nobody here has done it except andy's 4g63 mustang. trevor, george, me, brent, clinical , xboosted etc all ran 11's. although brent's car should run 10's if he can get a clean pass

Defintly not it wont ve easy but im more than willing to do what it takes to get there the guy who set the record at 10.87 was also on a 20g and he even had a stock head and a crappy tuning set up

Xboosted23X
07-17-2013, 09:17 AM
My advice would be to make it as light as possible, and traction. I would also agree that those 14b and 16g cars are mostly likely 4g motors and awd. They have the advantage with engine management and parts. I'm all for getting the most out of small turbos but I don't drag race much. I will see if I can lower my time in august for my yearly drag pass.

Drifte
07-17-2013, 10:24 AM
Like Honda CRX light, a seat and a steering wheel.

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 11:51 AM
Like Honda CRX light, a seat and a steering wheel.

I plan on strippinh 95% of interior, straight racecaring that shit

Sleepy
07-17-2013, 12:17 PM
It will get old as f'. I have started putting the interior back in my car. Having a tin can is not worth the tenth or two you will cut off by getting rid of it.

I think what annoys me the most are the random rattles.

Is the car running now? Have you dyno'ed it yet?

AutoMods
07-17-2013, 12:44 PM
the fun and the resale value will go down if you gut it. would be a lot easier to work on though

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 12:49 PM
My advice would be to make it as light as possible, and traction. I would also agree that those 14b and 16g cars are mostly likely 4g motors and awd. They have the advantage with engine management and parts. I'm all for getting the most out of small turbos but I don't drag race much. I will see if I can lower my time in august for my yearly drag pass.

whats your set up? im assuming an evo? an ya they were all awd that made those times, but the fwd 20g set up has already proven it self to get into the 10's so im more than excited to try to push mine there.

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 12:50 PM
It will get old as f'. I have started putting the interior back in my car. Having a tin can is not worth the tenth or two you will cut off by getting rid of it.

I think what annoys me the most are the random rattles.

Is the car running now? Have you dyno'ed it yet?

Car runs but like poop, dynode it a while and could only get to 6psi an made 210whp nothing impressive at all, and missing interior wont bother me as it will only be a track/street car it already doesn't have power steering a.c. or cruise,

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 12:51 PM
the fun and the resale value will go down if you gut it. would be a lot easier to work on though

I have no intentions at all in selling it, already got way more into it then id ever get back so might as well just keep it,

oVa-Boost
07-17-2013, 02:22 PM
Nice project good luck on it id bet you'll need something bigger than 20g and some good cvc shafts or you'll keep snapin them for sure seen it happen many times

Sleepy
07-17-2013, 02:52 PM
I would assume the axles would be pretty similar to a neons due to the same transmission.

However whatever axle you put in it will break. Best bet is to learn how to launch with preload, keep hop to a minimum and bring spare axles.

Many neon guys have cut 1.6 60 foots with stock axles. Now they may only last a few passes, but it beats replacing dss stage 5's!

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 03:16 PM
ive been snapping stock axles on 6psi.lol hoping that some slicks will help with that, my friend cody with the avenger was running the dss stage 5 axles an snapped those at only around 300whp, ill be running stock axles for ever ecspecially now that I have a lifetime warranty and know how to change them in about ten minutes.lol

pirate
07-17-2013, 05:37 PM
hopefully, I will be getting some custom axles made, well Custom inner CVs that will attach to DSS stg 3+'s That will help us put it down. Slicks will defiantly help you Jesse. Gotta get her running right first though :).

Like others have said, Precision turbos FTW :) your billet wheel on the s20g will help , but you'll still push it hard to make that HP goal :)

1slow420a
07-17-2013, 05:41 PM
hopefully, I will be getting some custom axles made, well Custom inner CVs that will attach to DSS stg 3+'s That will help us put it down. Slicks will defiantly help you Jesse. Gotta get her running right first though :).

Like others have said, Precision turbos FTW :) your billet wheel on the s20g will help , but you'll still push it hard to make that HP goal :)

still waiting to see the price tag for those axles, and slicks are a definent most, an ya ya i know precision, if i dont hit my goals with the 20g then i dont have a problem at all going with a big boy turbo, just like the amazing spool time of my turbo and the fact its already paid for.lol

bratz_729
07-17-2013, 08:18 PM
Good build sir. Pulled pretty good for 6lbs before. Can;t wait ti see what it does with new head, cams, more boost, and corn! Solid!

Xboosted23X
07-17-2013, 11:11 PM
whats your set up? im assuming an evo? an ya they were all awd that made those times, but the fwd 20g set up has already proven it self to get into the 10's so im more than excited to try to push mine there.

I have a stock motor stock turbo evo that last time out ran 11.5@120. It has full interior and is setup to handle not go straight. I wish you good luck. I'm just glad you turboed it. There is a guy at the shootout every year that has a NA 420 and it is horrible. Sounds like ass also.

Drifte
07-18-2013, 07:04 AM
There is a guy at the shootout every year that has a NA 420 and it is horrible. Sounds like ass also.
Need that like button to work on here.

Whats the SRT-4 neons run? Thats a purpose built fwd, I would think it would be a lot easier to get one of those to go fast?

1slow420a
07-18-2013, 08:01 AM
I have a stock motor stock turbo evo that last time out ran 11.5@120. It has full interior and is setup to handle not go straight. I wish you good luck. I'm just glad you turboed it. There is a guy at the shootout every year that has a NA 420 and it is horrible. Sounds like ass also.

ha your talking about mark bullet, that car is so obnoxious I cant believe he made it into the 12's with a n/a 420a

1slow420a
07-18-2013, 08:02 AM
Need that like button to work on here.

Whats the SRT-4 neons run? Thats a purpose built fwd, I would think it would be a lot easier to get one of those to go fast?

I think they are in the 9's now getting close to the 8's

mwexclusive
07-18-2013, 08:38 AM
You forgot to give Cody credit for the build :p
Can't wait to see this car in it's new "stage"
Should put the hurt on some stuff.

Sleepy
07-18-2013, 08:48 AM

Yes and no. It all depends on what you consider fast. Around here anymore you need to be in the 9s to be considered fast.

With e85 supporting fuel mods and bolt ons you can push the stock turbo a little past 300whp. If I did not have my 1st gen I would put a big turbo on the srt keep it around 400whp and daily drive it. Guys have been running their cars for years like that.

Hey Cody, glad to see you finally signed up!

bratz_729
07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
Fastest know srt is running mid 8s. But its an auto. Fastest 5 speed is around mid 9s. Most owners ate lucky to crack a 10

AutoMods
08-07-2013, 08:33 AM
heard the car blew, what happened?

1slow420a
08-08-2013, 06:54 AM
heard the car blew, what happened?
shot a rod thru the block, sold an getting an evo tired of dealing with the fwd problems,

AutoMods
08-08-2013, 08:31 AM
shot a rod thru the block, sold an getting an evo tired of dealing with the fwd problems,

any idea why? i see you had a build block with forged rods and pistons.

Sleepy
08-08-2013, 08:44 AM
Not to speak for him, however they were used rods. So something could have happened to them before he bought them and ended up with the bad luck.

1slow420a
08-08-2013, 08:20 PM
really not for sure, but after it happen i weighed my options of either rebuilding or selling an getting an evo an selling an getting an evo seemed to be the better option ecspecially now that i have a kid the 4 doors a.c. an p.s. will defiantly be nice for "family" road trips and also the track ;)

Xboosted23X
08-08-2013, 10:19 PM
That is the same thing I did when I spun a bearing in the DSM. I am happy with my choice.