PDA

View Full Version : Pikes Peak record broken again!

derek072887
07-09-2013, 10:42 PM
If you have never been you should try to before you die. Great experience when I went in 2008 and have wanted to go back but never got the chance. It's a shame the whole road is now paved.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y20CLumT2Sg#at=68
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y20CLumT2Sg#at=68

c_mart_28
07-10-2013, 07:45 AM
I was the there this year. Just an awesome experience.

We ended up sitting about 100 yards from a corner that had 4 separate wrecks, 2 of which had to have the drivers flown out via helicopter. Crazy watching a motorcycle roll on top of a guy, burst into flames and see people from the crowd putting him out as he lay there unconscious. Almost surreal.

Like you said though, Derek, definitely a bucket list kind of thing.

derek072887
07-10-2013, 08:37 AM
The year I went, me and my dad went up to the devils playground to sit watch the race. You can see almost 4 miles of the race course from there rather than just a single corner. Luckily the year I went the rain held off till right after "Monster" broke the 13 year standing record with a 10 min run. That was back when I think about 30% of the road was still gravel.

c_mart_28
07-10-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah we were headed up to devil's playground to get a seat but it ended up being full by the time we got going up that way. Apparently 430 am was too late to leave the hotel.

The weather would have been almost unbearable up there. It went from 70's to 40's and sleet/rain mix 2 different times where we were at which was a solid few thousand feet below Devils playground.

Scott
07-10-2013, 12:48 PM
Cant believe not a hint of over steer in that car even on the throttle

Drifte
07-12-2013, 09:45 AM
I need to go there, at least once. I watched a documentary on netflix about Pikes Peak one day.

derek072887
07-12-2013, 08:31 PM
Cant believe not a hint of over steer in that car even on the throttle

They have a class for legends cars I think, if you are feeling brave haha

Scott
07-15-2013, 07:27 AM
They have a class for legends cars I think, if you are feeling brave haha

That would be badass!! I've never tuned an engine that has to go thru that type of elevation change.. We'll see how it goes on the circle track first before I race on the edge of a mountain

derek072887
07-15-2013, 09:32 AM
That would be badass!! I've never tuned an engine that has to go thru that type of elevation change.. We'll see how it goes on the circle track first before I race on the edge of a mountain
I couldn't imagine the tuning involved to keep it from going waaayyy lean as you go up, but I do know you will probably want to add some kind of forced induction to keep the power up. I have driven up Pikes peak and the power difference from the 4k feet base to the 14k feet summit is crazy.

Scott
07-15-2013, 09:47 AM
I couldn't imagine the tuning involved to keep it from going waaayyy lean as you go up, but I do know you will probably want to add some kind of forced induction to keep the power up. I have driven up Pikes peak and the power difference from the 4k feet base to the 14k feet summit is crazy.

Well being that its a carbureted vehicle theres no automatic adjustments so its just gonna have to be a compromise with the jetting. IF I could borrow our high altitude engine test dyno's at work that would be sweet!! I could probably figure something out using the choke to richen it up at low altitudes.. higher altitude will make it run richer since the air density is less it gets O2 compared to ground level.

Sounds awesome tho, I know they run legends all the time on road courses like road america. If they're true legend cars they would be INEX sanctioned and have extremely strict rules on EVERYTHING, so yeah EFI or FI of any sort is not allowed. Maybe if I can round up sponsors to help out I'd give that pikes peak a shot, I think it would be fun but might want to take a pre-run to see which corners are the drop offs so I can be conservative there

derek072887
07-15-2013, 09:52 AM
might want to take a pre-run to see which corners are the drop offs so I can be conservative there
practice before the race is limited to 3 days, and its only from 4-5 am till 9 am when the road re-opens to the public. So not a lot of actual race practice but you can of course drive up it as many times are you want in your own car lol

Scott
07-15-2013, 10:09 AM
Couldnt find any info on them racing at pikes peak, which might be good if they dont a actual class then there would be no rules and run it in open I suppose. Biggest problem about keeping up is finding good sticky tires for the size rim you have to run, only INEX legal ones are federal standard street radials

derek072887
07-15-2013, 10:21 AM
Couldnt find any info on them racing at pikes peak, which might be good if they dont a actual class then there would be no rules and run it in open I suppose. Biggest problem about keeping up is finding good sticky tires for the size rim you have to run, only INEX legal ones are federal standard street radials

get ya some kind of atmospheric pressure sensor to open a nitrous solenoid slightly as you go up the mountain to compensate for the lack of air! may need a pretty big tank though haha

Scott
07-15-2013, 11:03 AM
nitrous tank