PDA

View Full Version : T56 Stuck in 4th Gear

Batwood
06-30-2013, 10:45 AM
Cruising on the highway last night in 5th gear. I go to shift to 6th and the shifter pops right back out. Try again and it won't go in. Third time it goes in what turns out to be 4th gear... and won't come out.

From what I read, its a broken shift key. This is strange because my trans is supposed to be a D&D built trans and should have billet inserts.

People say if you can get it out of gear, it should drive fine but eventually stick again. I pushed pretty damn hard with both hands, but I don't wanna break something more than I already did.

My main question would be (if anybody is familiar with this issue) is it as simple as just replacing the "keys" or is there usually some collateral damage?

I had been having issues with it going in between 3rd and 5th gear. Slid right in, just like a normal shift. I'm told the reverse lights came on when this happened too... it would pull back out pretty hard, but drove fine.

AutoMods
06-30-2013, 11:51 AM
my t56 was stuck in 4th gear a few years ago. i had no other symptoms or issues before that. couldn't get it unstuck. had to tear it all apart and it was a broken cast slider key, a $1 gm part.

slow ride on here rebuilt it with billet keys and upgrade fork pads, new syncros, etc and its been fine ever since

Batwood
06-30-2013, 12:11 PM
my t56 was stuck in 4th gear a few years ago. i had no other symptoms or issues before that. couldn't get it unstuck. had to tear it all apart and it was a broken cast slider key, a $1 gm part.

slow ride on here rebuilt it with billet keys and upgrade fork pads, new syncros, etc and its been fine ever since

Good to know!
I'm hoping I can just throw a set of billet keys in and be fine. I'm going to call D&D tomorrow I guess. No idea why that wouldn't have been upgraded.

Deimos
06-30-2013, 01:15 PM
Apparently if they have them too lose that can case it too but this is shit I found on the internet so take it for what its worth.

AutoMods
06-30-2013, 06:23 PM
Good to know!
I'm hoping I can just throw a set of billet keys in and be fine. I'm going to call D&D tomorrow I guess. No idea why that wouldn't have been upgraded.

Some of the parts are relatively cheap to replace or upgrade once you are in there. Its all the time and labor to pull and split the tranny apart that costs a lot. just do everything that needed while its apart. I did bronze fork pads as mine (plastic?) where wearing out and starting to crack if i recall. Those were cheap. Billet keys are fairly cheap. I did Carbon syncros.

Here are some rough notes I have from my build on my computer, it was actually like 5-6 years ago. I think I spent around $500 in just parts.

-input shaft seal $25
-outputshaft seal/yoke $25
-3-4 billet keys $75
-steel fork 3-4 $39
-bronze fork pads 1-2, 3-4 $60 total
-optional but good idea $169 for blocker rings if you want to tear mainshaft down
-may need but stock often last a while, 1-2 slider $115 or 3-4 $115 slider