PDA

View Full Version : police auctions?

DustinsDuster
04-24-2013, 11:15 AM
So I think I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm actually responsible enough to spend some money on a more reliable car to drive every day. I got it in my head that I'd like to buy a surplus police Charger for a few reasons; the body style really grew on me, they're cheap as hell usually, they'll all be more reliable than pretty much anything I've ever owned, but it'll still have more than 300hp and be RWD.

Problem is, I don't know anything about police auctions; how to find them, if a civilian with no dealers license or anything can just go and buy from them, etc. Can anyone give some input?

JustinS
04-24-2013, 04:38 PM
The state and a lot of counties and cities in Iowa use govdeals.com.

Lots of interesting stuff on there.

CiviC_boY
04-24-2013, 04:40 PM
So I think I'm getting to a point in my life where I'm actually responsible enough to spend some money on a more reliable car to drive every day. I got it in my head that I'd like to buy a surplus police Charger for a few reasons; the body style really grew on me, they're cheap as hell usually, they'll all be more reliable than pretty much anything I've ever owned, but it'll still have more than 300hp and be RWD.

Problem is, I don't know anything about police auctions; how to find them, if a civilian with no dealers license or anything can just go and buy from them, etc. Can anyone give some input?

From what i understand.
You do not need a dealers license. I believe you need to have A.Cash in hand or B. Some sort of bank statement showing that you have the money to pay for what you just bid on..
I'm not 100% sure about this. That is just what i was told by a buddy that has gone to some of these auctions.
Hopefully someone can make sure this is true.

SaNdMaNsSi
04-25-2013, 08:49 AM
Most law enforcement auctions, if on the spot, want cash. If you use govdeals, they take all forms of payments. However, I search about 200 miles out using govdeals and have never seen a Charger yet....and I've been on the site for 5 years. Plenty of Crown Vics, but no Chargers online, yet.

Deimos
04-25-2013, 09:00 AM
the new caprices are awesome.

SaNdMaNsSi
04-25-2013, 09:15 AM
the new caprices are awesome.

OH heellllllllll no. Ask anyone down at CRPD maintenance. They think they are the biggest turds ever produced. They hate them so much that even though this is their first year, they are already mothballing the entire fleet and moving to a new car. I've been under those things....a soccer mom could easily destroy that car, let alone a police chase.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-25-2013, 11:51 AM
OH heellllllllll no. Ask anyone down at CRPD maintenance. They think they are the biggest turds ever produced. They hate them so much that even though this is their first year, they are already mothballing the entire fleet and moving to a new car. I've been under those things....a soccer mom could easily destroy that car, let alone a police chase.

Funny, I said this MONTHS ago when I was building them and got fucking ass raped...

slow ride
04-25-2013, 12:00 PM
So what are the big issues with them?

snickerlicker
04-25-2013, 12:03 PM

GM junk....? :)

SaNdMaNsSi
04-25-2013, 12:24 PM

Honestly, too much to list. All you need to know is looking at the suspension. I'm speaking from a police chase perspective, as those are the ones we work on, and that's their intended usage. If you look at the front suspension only on a Caprice police cruiser, that'll tell you all you need to know about the quality of the car. You can tell that they skimped on every little thing they could, saved a dollar everywhere. Thinnest, cheapest metals I've ever seen on suspension parts, and we aren't talking lightweight aluminum. Cheap steel. Not at all what you'd want protecting your city.

Deimos
04-25-2013, 05:02 PM
Funny how the chargers suspensions and rotors and wheel bearings get ate like every 20 thousand. I heard places love how they accelerate and handle but if they hate them that is good news because they will be cheaper at the auction.

DustinsDuster
04-25-2013, 05:11 PM
i'll keep an eye out on govdeals, thanks. i'm not terribly active in my searching at the moment. i'd like to get the driveway poured and some major headway done on the garage before i get too serious about it. i've checked ebay; i find them all over the country there. might be worth it to fly somewhere and drive one home if the price was right and it was exactly what i was looking for.

SaNdMaNsSi
04-25-2013, 06:38 PM
Funny how the chargers suspensions and rotors and wheel bearings get ate like every 20 thousand. I heard places love how they accelerate and handle but if they hate them that is good news because they will be cheaper at the auction.

I'm confused...I was talking about the new Caprice, not the Charger.... But it's funny you mention acceleration and handling....That was the number one complaint from the head at CRPD....He said they accelerated almost TOO quickly and handled TOO well.....which is why the officers were wrecking them so much faster than the old stuff....Their biggest problem is holding up to the abuse, not how well they dish it out.

Deimos
04-25-2013, 07:17 PM
Lol sweet hey next time you get one in y ake pivs please im being serious I want to see this you peaked my interest

sparkles
04-25-2013, 08:05 PM
Funny, I said this MONTHS ago when I was building them and got fucking ass raped...
You were complaining about Karl's installs, not the particular model of car, if I remember correctly.

Domestic Disturbance
04-25-2013, 08:24 PM
I know this may seem obvious, but have you looked on ebay at all? This one is at 7150 with 17m to go. I wouldn't have guessed they would be THAT cheap, even with holes in the roof. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Dodge-Charger-Charger-2008-Dodge-Charger-Police-Cop-Car-Sedan-5-7L-Hemi-5-Speed-A-T-CD-AUX-Brush-/400467352139?pt=US_Cars_Trucks&hash=item5d3db6da4b

85XR7Project
04-25-2013, 08:57 PM
You were complaining about Karl's installs, not the particular model of car, if I remember correctly.

I think he did say something about them before the whole Karls thing

bfoster50620
04-25-2013, 09:08 PM
I have to say, our two Caprices have been flaw-free, and are AMAZING cars. According to Michigan State Police tests, the Caprice was actually quicker around Grattan raceway than the Charger, and just a tick behind the AWD Eco-Boost Taurus. If the Taurus wasn't such a small little car, it'd be great for us. Problem is, the Eco-boost engine option is expensive, actually making it cost MORE than a Caprice and even the Tahoe. Frankly, the Charger is the bargain of the group hands-down.

Early Chargers had issues with the brakes over-heating and needing replaced quite often. I believe this was corrected a year or two after they began production for LEO's. I would look for a state trooper Charger though, they are usually newer, and have mainly highway miles. Believe me, you don't want a city squad car with 200k on the odo. 100k on our cars is quite enough.

Check out the DOT auctions in Ames. Our squads end up there I believe.

SaNdMaNsSi
04-25-2013, 09:36 PM
Lol sweet hey next time you get one in y ake pivs please im being serious I want to see this you peaked my interest

Will do....Since winter is over, we probably won't see another anytime soon. But it's pretty crazy some of the stuff they do to them. For example, chasing perps down railroad tracks and not being able to get off of them in time to miss the train...

Deimos
04-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Dumbasses

AutoMods
04-26-2013, 09:43 AM
Are you guys talking about the new Caprices with the LS motors ?

sLoWnStEaDy
04-26-2013, 11:11 AM

You remember incorrectly. I did say something about Karls later on but before I seen their work, I was just complaining about how cheap and shitty the Caprices are in general. The fords are just better in every possible way and it was pure stupidity that led to CRPD having any Caprices. I don't wanna say too much cuz there's an ass kissing, instigating little bitch on here that'll go runnin to some people talkin shit but... they suck, no way around it, they are POS cars...

snickerlicker
04-26-2013, 11:31 AM
Shhh... Don't offend the GM loving nutswingers on this site.

c_mart_28
04-26-2013, 11:56 AM
You remember incorrectly. I did say something about Karls later on but before I seen their work, I was just complaining about how cheap and shitty the Caprices are in general. The fords are just better in every possible way and it was pure stupidity that led to CRPD having any Caprices. I don't wanna say too much cuz there's an ass kissing, instigating little bitch on here that'll go runnin to some people talkin shit but... they suck, no way around it, they are POS cars...
No he remembers correctly.

AutoMods
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
guess we'll never know. the posts were deleted upon special request

sLoWnStEaDy
04-26-2013, 12:34 PM
No he remembers correctly.

No... the comments about Karls was AFTER I was complaining about them to begin with. I had the CRPD ones built months before Karls touched one and I got to see some of their work. I hated those POS cars the first day I seen them something like a year ago... and the work of theirs I was talking about was on a Tahoe

SaNdMaNsSi
04-26-2013, 05:33 PM

From what I heard talking to people at CRPD, Ford stopped offering the crown Vic police package? At least, that's what I heard, that's why they switched.

sparkles
04-26-2013, 08:20 PM
Ehh. Oh well. Might be surprising, but I think the best looking new police cars are the Ford Exploders. I'd rock one.

sLoWnStEaDy
04-26-2013, 08:31 PM
I was talking about the interceptors, notnthw crown vics... I built the marion PD interceptor/tairis' and they are awesome.

bizzle
05-01-2013, 06:04 PM
Ehh. Oh well. Might be surprising, but I think the best looking new police cars are the Ford Exploders. I'd rock one.

i agree ... plus turbo noise comes standard

bizzle
05-01-2013, 06:10 PM
i have seen hemi equipped charger cop cars on one site in the 4 to 6 thousand range depending on miles and condition and this site was buying them at auction and then selling them online. so i imagine they are going cheaper than that. i dont remember the name of the site tho... so, pretty much i have just wasted everyone's time. :D

sparkles
05-01-2013, 07:28 PM
Hey, thanks for nothing.