03-25-2013, 06:19 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U5ECxhqX4Q&feature=youtu.be

JacobS
03-25-2013, 06:29 PM
nice video!

Sunny Z
03-25-2013, 06:32 PM
nice video!

Thanks. Its kinda rough. But hey, first of the season!

AutoMods
03-25-2013, 07:23 PM
jordan's mustang right? phish's car seems to be pretty quick now. what happened the 2nd race.

JacobS
03-25-2013, 08:06 PM
sounds like the cobra spun horribly on the first run, then hooked on the 2nd

Newgen
03-25-2013, 09:30 PM
The 2nd race was hardly a race. The fuel solenoid stopped working on the nitrous kit during the 1st pull. I noticed the a/r's got really lean. 2nd race it wasn't working at all and he had to get out of it immediately.

AutoMods
03-25-2013, 09:41 PM
Why does everyone always have nitrous issues

c_mart_28
03-25-2013, 10:39 PM
Des Moines has a little street scene going for the first time in a while..

Should be a good summer. Let's hope everyone's cars hold up!

Phish
03-25-2013, 10:51 PM
jordan's mustang right? phish's car seems to be pretty quick now. what happened the 2nd race.

Pretty much how Matt stated. the fuel solenoid was not firing off at the end of the first run.. second run went instantly lean so i got right out of it. In the video you see me stop on the on ramp and Matt shut the bottle off. I tried firing off the nitrous expecting to go crazy rich. No change in Air fuel. I swapped out the solenoid the next day and was good to go again.

I actually tested the solenoid once i got it off and it was firing just fine. So i dont know if it was once it got the pressure behind it it wouldn't open or if maybe once it got hot it wouldn't fire off... no clue. However they were wired together so its not possible for one to open without the other unless its a solenoid issue

It seems to be a little peppy... especially on the bottle. Its definatly not a roll car though thats for sure

Newgen
03-26-2013, 05:48 AM
Why does everyone always have nitrous issues

Its just like turbo cars having boost leaks or superchargedcars having the belt slip ;)

Phish
03-26-2013, 06:01 AM
Yar Yar Yar Someone has the jokes.... If/When i loose to Jordan in a roll i have no problem admitting that one. No excuses needed. That car is crazy fast and no doubt its going to MPH hour me in the quarter.

Sleepy
03-26-2013, 10:02 AM
Looks like a good time. Glad to see there is some action going on around town.

sparkles
03-26-2013, 05:08 PM
What solenoids are you using?

Phish
03-26-2013, 05:47 PM
They were the larger NX solenoids..

sparkles
03-26-2013, 06:01 PM
Not the Lightnings?

Hmmm. Not sure. I've had many NX noids and never once had a problem with any of them. NOS is another story. If it was a used kit, you might wanna check the wires where they enter the solenoid body to make sure it hasn't got damaged. Might have to take the cover off.

Stix37867
03-26-2013, 08:32 PM
Next time you guys go out hit me up. I've got the boost figured out and eager to see what she can do again. We can run them and see how we fair!

Phish
03-26-2013, 09:34 PM
That sounds pretty sweet... Right now the engine is tore down again though.. I have a stupid oil issue that i need to fix which requires me pulling the heads and getting some work done. Hopefully i will have it back together next weekend. I will definitely give you a shout if people get together though

slow ride
03-26-2013, 09:58 PM
What is the issue?

Phish
03-26-2013, 10:13 PM
notched 5.3 heads with a LS9 gasket....

slow ride
03-26-2013, 10:37 PM
I thought you had 799's which I didn't think had a notch? I've seen some victor reinz MLS gaskets on that had a provision for the notch if you need to stick with your current heads and don't want to use a composit gasket. Early 853 and 806 ls1's had this also. Check rock auto fyi

Phish
03-27-2013, 05:41 AM
I have 862s... i checked the old 5.3l block and you could see where the notch was at. I plan on getting the notch filled and then mill .010 off the heads then throw them back on using the same LS9 gaskets (if they look good once the head is removed) I really would like to stick with a MLS gasket. being that i am unsure of how high i go with the shot someday. Prolly only a 200 but better safe then sorry i suppose. Plus the .010 milling will give me a slight bump in compression. I figured if i was going to have them milled after filled i might as well take off a little extra. Just did not want to go to far and havae to get new pushrods again. Also. A big thanks to Josey for comin over here and helping me trouble shoot this. I was starting to go a little crazy.

slow ride
03-27-2013, 06:43 AM
I'd never go throught he trouble of pulling the heads and trying to re-use gaskets no matter what age they are. Once crushed they go in the garbage. Those VR MLS gaskets have been used by guys on ls1tech if you didn't want to do all the welding and just re-install the heads as is. Stock 6.0l gaskets would work fine also after filling the notch. At this power level you are not really pushing any of the stock mls gaskets unless you detonate.

Phish
03-27-2013, 06:51 AM
So your telling me that i can just us the VR MLS gaskets and be fine even with the notch? Just want to make sure your positive. I really really dont want to go through all of this again. Can you send me a link as to where to purchase said gaskets. i am feeling lazy... but i suppose i could do some research on my own.

slow ride
03-27-2013, 07:43 AM
Check some on ls1tech, but yes the gaskets are just like gm ones(they make gm ones), but have the extra rubber coating on the edge of the two inside cylinders to work with notch heads. The only reason the ls9's don't seal is that little gap of rubber on the gasket by the notch, but the victors use rubber all the way from the cylinder to the outside of the gasket.

http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/moreinfo.php?pk=2653144&cc=1380204

Some people might have got gaskets to reseal, but if the rubber trace is pulled up I'd toss it. I'm sure it will stick to the block or head.

Phish
03-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Sweet. Totally makes since. I may go this route of just swapping the gaskets out then. Cut out all the labor and cost of the machiene shop.

slow ride
03-27-2013, 08:01 AM
Take notice you will need 6.0l ones for bore size and I'm not sure if the pictures represent the actual gasket in every rock auto add. I've found a few different part numbers for them, but check around the site and make sure the 6.0 part number is the same for all listings and that it has the rubber all the way on the inside. You could call them and see if they can verify before ordering the 6.0 gasket.

Phish
03-27-2013, 08:37 AM
The link you supplied lists the GM LS2 gasket witht the 4" bore as an alternate GM part number. I would believe that this would mean it as well is a 4" bore gasket. I think it will be the gasket of choice on this project.

slow ride
03-27-2013, 08:53 AM
I also noticed they have a ls9 gasket listed. It doesn't have the extra rubber, but the price is cheaper than anywhere else if it's an actual ls9 gasket. The part number they list for the ls9 is different than the ls3 even though they share the same bore size so I'm guessing it's the better gasket. Just a fyi for people looking for a ls9 gasket.