PDA

View Full Version : X-Box Question

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 07:04 AM
A little off beat from the normal discussions on here.

However quick question for those with 360's.

The time has finally come that I am going to splurge and buy a new gaming system. I have put it off since I don't play very often and would rather spend the cash elsewhere however I think its time to get with the times.

Obviously they have a few hard drive options availible.

For the casual gamer, who will probably only play a few games(forza and maybe a few other car games and or first person shooters) will the 4gig hard drive be enough?

Also has anyone purchased a referb system through game stop? Is saving 40 bucks really worth it?

Thanks, Adam

SaNdMaNsSi
02-25-2013, 07:35 AM
I game constantly in my free time....usually at least 2 hours a night. I had an older than dirt Xbox 4GB, and it did everything I needed it to. Never filled the hard drive; I'm not into burning things onto my Xboxes. As long as you aren't putting music or burning games directly to your HD, you'll never even use the 4gb. Now I have the Star Wars box, and it's just a waste of hard drive that I'll never use. No reason to pay more for a larger box unless you want Kinect, which I've never used. It's still sitting in the box in my closet. As for refurb systems, I think Gamestop gives a 90 day warranty if I remember correctly, or maybe that's Video Games Etc..... I think they are cheap enough to just buy new, though. I bought one for my brother for his birthday this year, and it cost me 200 bucks....However, you can find them pretty dirt cheap on CL, too. As long as you are willing to take the chance, or have the person show you the box gets online and isn't banned before you buy it. Every once in awhile I'll see them for 100 bucks with lots of accessories and games.

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 07:51 AM
I have no problem spending the $200.00 for a new 4gig. I would rather do that then get one used on craigslist then have it fail on me later. When I was younger I remember friends having issues on their earlier box's with the rrod however it sounds like microsoft has solved those issues.

I have no interest in the xbox being a go to for everything(music, movies, ext). Just looking to play disc's.

I know eventually we will end up getting kinect for the kids so I am not sure how much space that will use, however I suppose I can cross that bridge when I get there.

Excellent, any first person shooter recommendations?
Going from a wii to an xbox the game selection is almost daunting.

derek072887
02-25-2013, 08:34 AM
I game constantly in my free time....usually at least 2 hours a night.

You need a female in your life badly....

SaNdMaNsSi
02-25-2013, 08:40 AM
You need a female in your life badly....

Sorry, I have no problem in that department.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-25-2013, 08:44 AM
I have no problem spending the $200.00 for a new 4gig. I would rather do that then get one used on craigslist then have it fail on me later. When I was younger I remember friends having issues on their earlier box's with the rrod however it sounds like microsoft has solved those issues.

I have no interest in the xbox being a go to for everything(music, movies, ext). Just looking to play disc's.

I know eventually we will end up getting kinect for the kids so I am not sure how much space that will use, however I suppose I can cross that bridge when I get there.

Excellent, any first person shooter recommendations?
Going from a wii to an xbox the game selection is almost daunting.

It depends what you're into; Call of Duty is always a good choice; However, my own personal opinion, if you like shooting zombies, get black ops 1. BOP2 is shit for zombies. However, BOP1's multiplayer is not nearly as good as 2. It's not bad, but 2 is light years better. If you like strategies, figuring stuff out, the Fallout series are awesome games. If you don't like to think and just want to shoot all the time, Battlefield is a good series as well. If you don't mind the cartoon-y aspect, Borderlands 2 is a good, fun game. These are all my own opinion, of course, I'm sure others can chime in....

AutoMods
02-25-2013, 09:12 AM
I've resisted buying a system, i might play it too much. makes me feel unproductive. its probably saved me $1000's of dollars by working on my business instead .... or working on my real car instead of a forza car.

to each their own.

slow ride
02-25-2013, 09:18 AM
My problem is getting mad and smashing the game :/ Ever since I've quite playing games my bloodpressure has stablized ha. I do find it crazy how nice the new stuff is though.

RandomHero
02-25-2013, 09:43 AM
I bought a PS3 over a year ago because it has a built in DVD/BlueRay player, WiFi capibilities so I can stream HuLu+ and Netflix and I load my music onto the hardrive so I can listen to it though my surround sound. I never really actually game on it. Only game I ever play is The Simpsons Arcade game that I bought on the Playstation Store for $10. I love it though, best addition Ive added to my home theater system.

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 10:28 AM
I've resisted buying a system, i might play it too much. makes me feel unproductive. its probably saved me $1000's of dollars by working on my business instead .... or working on my real car instead of a forza car.

to each their own.

The first part is the reason I have stopped myself from buying one. I have been afraid I will want to play to much. I played when I was in highschool however got away from it as an adult.

The other portion of your comment, I don't have a huge income to work on cars. Comparing what some of you guys are able to spend on cars compared to what I am able to feels like peanuts. (Aka, why I still have a neon) I have enough money in it, I will never get out of it what I have put in and if I were to ever sell it I would be finished with modifying cars.

I guess playing car games can fill the void with out having much money into it.

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 10:33 AM
Sandman I will have to try the blackop's 1 game then. Not interested in playing multiplayer/online stuff.
Mostly 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay at a time. (Gaming time would be the same as my ususal garage time, 10pm until I get to tired to continue)

Kicker is, as soon as it warms up I will be back in the garage and the game system will sit untill next winter when its to cold to work in the garage again.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-25-2013, 11:07 AM
Sandman I will have to try the blackop's 1 game then. Not interested in playing multiplayer/online stuff.
Mostly 30 minutes to an hour of gameplay at a time. (Gaming time would be the same as my ususal garage time, 10pm until I get to tired to continue)

Kicker is, as soon as it warms up I will be back in the garage and the game system will sit untill next winter when its to cold to work in the garage again.

I'm the same way...this time of year, I have lots of time to sit around and game....come warm weather, I have a half dozen motorcycles to work on, atvs, gokarts, not to mention all of the yard work, cutting trees, making atv paths, you know, the things adults do that are trying to re-live the youth they never had.

93stang5oh
02-25-2013, 11:53 AM
Isn't Playstation and Xbox (Microsoft) both coming out with a new systems this year? If so, how long do they normally make games for the outdated the system? That could all factor in on whether to buy a new system now or wait a few more months for the latest and greatest.

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 02:26 PM
If anything that would just have me wait for the latest and greatest to come out to pick up a 360 for cheaper than what I can now.
There are so many games out for the 360 now anything I buy will be used through game stop anyway.

I think the most games I ever owned for one system was around 5-7 for my nintendo 64 I had in jr high and most of those were gifts that I didn't play.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-25-2013, 02:48 PM
If anything that would just have me wait for the latest and greatest to come out to pick up a 360 for cheaper than what I can now.
There are so many games out for the 360 now anything I buy will be used through game stop anyway.

I think the most games I ever owned for one system was around 5-7 for my nintendo 64 I had in jr high and most of those were gifts that I didn't play.

I wouldn't bank on the new systems; if the rumors are true, I won't be buying a new one, and many more like me aren't interested, either. The ps4 is supposed to drop the blu ray to make it more affordable off the bat, and the xbox is supposed to gain blu ray....However, both system makers are trying to make all games with a single use keycode so that players cannot buy used games anymore. I don't see that actually coming to fruition, but in either case, I'm not even considering buying a new system. I'm happy with the ps3 and xbox that are out now....I will not give a dime to any company that doesn't allow me to choose used as opposed to new. I haven't read up on the subject in months, so things may have changed. But in either case, I have no desire to drop another 400 on an xbox.

sparkles
02-25-2013, 05:16 PM
Get ahold of me if you want some games. Forza, COD, UFC, etc. I've got quite a few that I don't play I'd let you have cheap.

Sleepy
02-26-2013, 06:44 AM
Sandman - That sounds ridiculous, however something that I could certainly see them doing.
I was amazed to read that xbox live will "black list" or whatever its called a whole xbox (not just the user account) for cheating.

Ben, I might take you up on that offer.

SaNdMaNsSi
02-26-2013, 09:12 AM
Sandman - That sounds ridiculous, however something that I could certainly see them doing.
I was amazed to read that xbox live will "black list" or whatever its called a whole xbox (not just the user account) for cheating.

Ben, I might take you up on that offer.

Yeah, Google xbox720 or PS4 banning used games...you can read all about it. Xbox has blacklisted boxes since the beginning of time for cheating, which I have no problem with. When I play multiplayer, and 3 seconds after the round has started and someone is already spawn killing, they deserve to lose 200 bucks. This is my opinion, but gaming on ps3 is terrible compared to xbox. I find that ps3 is full of trash ghetto stoners and little annoying kids that drop the n-bomb like it's going out of style. They also quit in the middle of zombies which ruins the game on bop1 if they are the host, it ends the game for everyone. If they do it on Bop2 the host switches to another player, but the moment anyone drops out, your score no longer counts towards the leaderboards. It's a big deal when you're at level 30 and it's taken 3 hours to get there, then someone quits. What I find about xbox, since it's a pay service, there's a whole lot less little kids since you have to have a credit card on file. You also have less trashy people because they can afford the 50 bucks a year as opposed to the welfare queens that pervade ps3. Other games may not attract such worthless people, but Call of Duty does. I'm much happier playing on my box than I am on my ps3. If it weren't for some of my friends stuck in the stone age, I'd only own the Xbox. The reason I don't throw my ps3 out a window is because of the blu ray player, but even then, I consider it sometimes.

Snowman
02-26-2013, 09:29 AM
If you're not big into gaming, I don't see the point in waiting for the latest and greatest unless you have cash to burn. However, the 4gb xbox will run out of memory if you buy DLC packages such as the premium content for Battlefield 3. In my opinion, xbox is a better console than PS3. I too use my PS3 only for the blu ray capabilities. Other than that, it's a paperweight in my opinion.

The PS4 has been confirmed for "Holiday 2013". I'm sure the new xbox will be right beside it.
Regarding the PS4, it's been confirmed that it will play used games.

Your PS3 game saves and PSN purchases won't transfer to the PS4.
Your PS3 controllers won't work.
They're also talking about tiered subscription levels. I believe the days of free multiplayer may be coming to an end for the Playstation fans.

Sleepy
02-26-2013, 09:39 AM
I have never been a huge playstation fan. I had a ps2 after they had first come out and I think the only game I had for it was midnight club racing. I ended up trading it for a new craftsman tool kit since I never played it.

With the lovely snow today I think I will run up to gamestop this evening and see if they have an xbox's in stock. I went up on Sunday and they were out of every system, new and used. The guy behind the counter showed me a stack of 30-40 wii games that some guy traded to get store credit for their last xbox.

I have to pick up another wii too, our disc drive took a dump and will not read anymore. Makes having 10-20 kids games worthless. However streaming netflix through wii works pretty well.

90blkbrd
02-26-2013, 11:19 AM
Anyone interested in a used xbox? I believe it is a Zephyr series. My son got a new one for Christmas and hasn't sold the old one and it's accessories yet.

Chase
02-26-2013, 11:50 AM
I wouldn't bank on the new systems; if the rumors are true, I won't be buying a new one, and many more like me aren't interested, either. The ps4 is supposed to drop the blu ray to make it more affordable off the bat, and the xbox is supposed to gain blu ray....However, both system makers are trying to make all games with a single use keycode so that players cannot buy used games anymore. I don't see that actually coming to fruition, but in either case, I'm not even considering buying a new system. I'm happy with the ps3 and xbox that are out now....I will not give a dime to any company that doesn't allow me to choose used as opposed to new. I haven't read up on the subject in months, so things may have changed. But in either case, I have no desire to drop another 400 on an xbox.

I have heard this as well, regarding keycodes or offering games as download only.

That will be the deciding factor for me. I only buy games used. If their solution is to corner me into buying games at full (ridiculous) prices then I'll pass.

Snowman
02-26-2013, 11:58 AM
I have heard this as well, regarding keycodes or offering games as download only.

That will be the deciding factor for me. I only buy games used. If their solution is to corner me into buying games at full (ridiculous) prices then I'll pass.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/02/21/sony-ps4-can-play-used-games/

AutoMods
02-26-2013, 12:11 PM
i would think it would be illegal to not a allow the use of a used game. i remember something years ago when when the dvd/movie industry got into a debate about the legality of an owner to make a copy of their own disc and the consumer won that battle

Chase
02-26-2013, 12:15 PM
PS4 it is!

I've been getting irritated with microsoft lately anyway.