PDA

View Full Version : Roll Racing is Stupid

derek072887
02-24-2013, 02:14 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=5APmXblr0jE

Clinical
02-24-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm not one of those anti-roll racing guys, if anything I usually prefer it on the street - but I really think roll-racing at a drag strip is fucking dumb.

AutoMods
02-24-2013, 06:10 PM
biggest problem is having them start evenly

TbTalon94
02-24-2013, 08:03 PM
I think that looks like a blast. That black porsche was fast as hell.

Sleepy
02-24-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm not one of those anti-roll racing guys, if anything I usually prefer it on the street - but I really think roll-racing at a drag strip is fucking dumb.

Agree.
Like Ryan said, it looked like each time they were not speed matched to each other so one would instantly get a lead.
The 800hp evo looked pretty quick.

sparkles
02-24-2013, 09:07 PM
I'm still clueless about why we need to roll race AWD vehicles.

AutoMods
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
I'm still clueless about why we need to roll race AWD vehicles.

it does seem odd . but lots of awd's don't want to break drivetrains parts. trannys, clutches, axles, transfer cases, etc . that and a lot of awd's are 4 bangers that tend to lag and are hard to launch perfect after putting monster turbos on them.

sparkles
02-24-2013, 09:27 PM
Kinda makes having AWD useless then, unless you're driving in the snow. Which, btw, bout had an Evo slide into me the other day during the snowstorm. Watched him leave the light like a boss, but I think he forgot that AWD doesn't help you slow down any quicker on ice. I gave him the thumbs up. It was super.

Clinical
02-24-2013, 09:30 PM
it does seem odd . but lots of awd's don't want to break drivetrains parts. trannys, clutches, axles, transfer cases, etc . that and a lot of awd's are 4 bangers that tend to lag and are hard to launch perfect after putting monster turbos on them.

I just think it's dumb going to a drag strip and roll racing, but hey if that's there thing I guess..

I rarely ever did a dig race in either of my faster AWD DSM's outside the drag strip, not because I didn't want to, but because no one wanted to race me on the street from a dig lol. Then if you're in a FWD car everyone wants to dig race you.

Domestic Disturbance
02-25-2013, 01:01 AM
this is just... weird.
http://www.dumpaday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/youre-doing-it-wrong.jpg

TbTalon94
02-25-2013, 06:11 AM
The point of roll racing with AWD cars is you can make monster power and still hook up from a roll. Notice the vette was the only one spinning. It's just MUCH less harder on everything to roll race, then it's just about who makes more power and can shift the car. It may be stupid to some, but if you've ever had a high horsepower AWD car that has expensive drivetrain parts you'd understand. One of the best parts of having an AWD car is launching it from a dig. It's a fucking blast...but first time you break something all the fun goes out the window lol. I've owned/ridden in both high HP awd cars and high HP rwd cars. The feeling of all that power actually getting traction is soo much more satisfying then spinning for 300ft before feeling the full effect.

Sleepy
02-25-2013, 06:49 AM
I can understand the desire to roll race. Just seems odd about going to a drag strip to do it. I suppose unless you take a drive down to mexico its about the only legal way to do it.

I do bet its a blast to have full traction in a higher hp car. My car makes crap for hp and spins like crazy, can't imagine if it made something in the neighborhood these guys are and actually have traction.

slow ride
02-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Really, the only thing roll racing does is allow a high power car thats not set up to launch even out the playing field. Some might say whats the point, but when you set the car up to launch well, it's doesn't corner well and vice versa. Some people are not willing to give up the "sportyness" of their sports car to make it launch, but still want to make a lot of power even if it can only be used at higher speeds. While not being official we all still watch it/do it at some point. Slightly off topic, but it's crazy how fast the GTR's and Lambo's shift compared to the standard manuals.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-25-2013, 06:54 PM
If you cant build a car that can go from a stop without breaking shit or spinning for days, then maybe you should spend less money trying to impress the dyno operator

OldSkoolRCR
02-25-2013, 07:06 PM
If you cant build a car that can go from a stop without breaking shit or spinning for days, then maybe you should spend less money trying to impress the dyno operator

Ever notice the ones supporting roll raceing are the dyno queens? said it before and Ill say it again.....Roll raceing is for pussys!

Stix37867
02-26-2013, 08:05 AM
I always prefer to roll race only because it is easy on my diff case which can crack from the shock of launching the car. It has nothing to do with spinning or being a dyno queen. Now I do agree you do get those high hp cars that drop all their cash into the motor and still running 205/40 tires, can't slow their car down for shit, and need a mile just to hook up and pass you. I just laugh them off. But ask sparkles if I ever dig race still. I believe a well put together sports car should be able to do both. Any car can be built to do just one.

allgo
02-26-2013, 08:13 AM
ever notice the ones supporting roll raceing are the dyno queens? Said it before and ill say it again.....roll raceing is for pussys!

lol.. Eddy b in the house..

Sleepy
02-26-2013, 08:38 AM
That is pretty much my end goal. Which I would assume everyone's goal would be to have great traction all the time. Much harder with some platforms than others.

My car on 8lbs with 215 drag radials(about the largest I can fit with out cutting, coil overs and lowrider wide wheels) spins into 3rd. Thats more than likely sub 250whp.
Granted I desperately need equal length axles, an lsd, and said above cutting and coil overs, I am hoping to get some 235's on it. There are a lot of srt4 guys that run the M&H 235 drag radial and are able to spin a little in 1st and hook in 2nd with 400whp.

Making HP is the easy part, getting it to stick and stay in one piece is the hard/expensive part.

Scott
02-26-2013, 09:56 AM
Making HP is the easy part, getting it to stick and stay in one piece is the hard/expensive part.

Holy crap someone gets it!!

Except making HP reliably also the expensive part. Its not easy to make it thru a entire race day round after round, then do that for a entire race season and see how well it holds up.

Newgen
02-26-2013, 10:29 AM
Really, the only thing roll racing does is allow a high power car thats not set up to launch even out the playing field. Some might say whats the point, but when you set the car up to launch well, it's doesn't corner well and vice versa. Some people are not willing to give up the "sportyness" of their sports car to make it launch, but still want to make a lot of power even if it can only be used at higher speeds.

Realizing this more and more. I completely changed my setup after last year and went to an auto, different suspension, and a few other things. Roll racing is all about who has more money and don't take hardly any driver mod. I can tell you I don't have enough to keep up.

slow ride
02-26-2013, 10:35 AM
Totally understandable IF the car lives at the 1/4 mile track only, but what about other racing or street driving? Take Scotts car for example, it hooks in sand and dead nuts consistant, but what you have done to get it there takes away other driving aspects of it. Might as well trash the stock car then and quit making power with it since it can't hook at the drag strip right? How do you consider one the benchmark and the other stuff not important, it depends on what its built for.

I don't think anyone would argue that roll racing is not a tallent contest, but rather an easy way to see how the power and gearing of one car stacks up to another without a shitty driver, weak drivetrain or good handeling suspension getting in the way. I could care less about dyno numbers it's just a way to make sure what I/someone else built is doing what it is suppose to do power wise. I only care how fun the car is to drive and get some fricking use out of rather than sitting 90% of the time, other guys want to dominate a class at the track, etc. I think everyone would like to have one car that does it all, but thats not going to happen so scarifices are made.

Sleepy
02-26-2013, 10:57 AM
Holy crap someone gets it!!

Except making HP reliably also the expensive part. Its not easy to make it thru a entire race day round after round, then do that for a entire race season and see how well it holds up.

I can't imagine. I am sure from my post everyone gets the relm of cars I play with are way different than what most guys have on here. Some of you guys have cars I could never imagine going that fast.
My goal is to have a mid 11 second car that can be reliable enough to drive to and from the track. Pretty much a fun street car. No desire for the low 10's 9's and faster that some of you have been.

bonesaw53
02-26-2013, 11:18 AM
EddyB, Living his life a 1/4 mile at a time.

90blkbrd
02-26-2013, 11:22 AM
I only care how fun the car is to drive and get some fricking use out of rather than sitting 90% of the time

That's why I don't miss my Thunderbird SC and love my Z06.

OldSkoolRCR
02-26-2013, 05:33 PM
EddyB, Living his life a 1/4 mile at a time.

Yes I do, taking this year off...But someday Logan you will figure it out, your a smart kid, As soon as you or the rest get that nice big 120mph+ speeding ticket, or loose controll and hurt yourself or someone else, or when the Ins. on that nice highend car you have goes to the moon, youll figure it out, Sorry just not my thing, but heck knock yourself out if thats what makes you happy, Ill be the first one to tell you " I told ya so"....lol

EddyB.

Scott
02-27-2013, 07:36 AM
Totally understandable IF the car lives at the 1/4 mile track only, but what about other racing or street driving? Take Scotts car for example, it hooks in sand and dead nuts consistant, but what you have done to get it there takes away other driving aspects of it. Might as well trash the stock car then and quit making power with it since it can't hook at the drag strip right? How do you consider one the benchmark and the other stuff not important, it depends on what its built for.

I don't think anyone would argue that roll racing is not a tallent contest, but rather an easy way to see how the power and gearing of one car stacks up to another without a shitty driver, weak drivetrain or good handeling suspension getting in the way. I could care less about dyno numbers it's just a way to make sure what I/someone else built is doing what it is suppose to do power wise. I only care how fun the car is to drive and get some fricking use out of rather than sitting 90% of the time, other guys want to dominate a class at the track, etc. I think everyone would like to have one car that does it all, but thats not going to happen so scarifices are made.

You should see the nitrous drifts I can do on the hwy with that thing!! Great all around grocery getter, just wish I hadnt pulled the AC out of it. lol

garyLT1
02-27-2013, 10:40 AM
until i get my 9' rear. Sadly i will have to roll race to avoid breaking the stock 10 bolt then once the 9' goes in and then i'll start dig racing again.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-27-2013, 11:35 AM
Lets be honest, look at the tx2k cars, how many of them are capable of autox, getting groceries, etch just like drag cars? They are purpose built for half ass racing down highways....

I ran the shit out of a ten bolt for years and it never made a sound..

bonesaw53
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I think most roll racing cars are capable of a bit more then hardcore drag racing cars. but IMO you can go to that extreme on any car. Autox, drag, rally, ect you are quite limited on what the car is capable of. I like getting groceries in my " roll racer" car.

Edited. because I no read good.

Clinical
02-27-2013, 12:20 PM
sums up this thread and pretty much the car scene in general these days I'd say.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v616/Igorcht/Stop-liking-what-I-dont-like.jpg

SledgeWS6
02-27-2013, 12:23 PM
I ran the shit out of a ten bolt for years and it never made a sound..

Huge difference between running an automatic and a T-56. The T-56 can shred a ten bolt on stock horsepower with enough use/abuse.

FiFdYnUtZ
02-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I understand that, just saying...my 10 bone stock probably took 50 1.5x 60's...don't be scurred, they are a dime a dozen

garyLT1
02-27-2013, 01:03 PM
I understand that, just saying...my 10 bone stock probably took 50 1.5x 60's...don't be scurred, they are a dime a dozen

Well I don't think my 10 bolt will take the abuse from my engine and trans

SledgeWS6
02-27-2013, 01:04 PM
they are a dime a dozen

Ha, exactly why mine isn't going anywhere unless I swap in a 6-speed.

Clinical
02-27-2013, 01:07 PM
couple buddies of mine are good examples. One is a LT1 6spd cam only car, has ran 12.6@108mph. Other guy has an auto t/a with a cam only LS1 that ran 11.8@117mph and I believe has since run even better, but lots of track passes and a lot of dig races on the street where he always hooks. He replaced a 10bolt right after he bought it but other then that hasn't had an issue. The LT1 car is on his 5th and now it's making noise, but this last one has lasted awhile and when it goes he's finally going to a 9" I believe.

Scott
02-27-2013, 02:00 PM
They're not good for racing or getting groceries, garage jewelry is what they are

Scott
02-27-2013, 02:01 PM
Hell my GF used to race my 6 speed 03 cobra down the drag strip and pedal it thru 1st and 2nd gear pass after pass.. Dont be scared

90blkbrd
02-27-2013, 02:10 PM
Hell my GF used to race my 6 speed 03 cobra down the drag strip and pedal it thru 1st and 2nd gear pass after pass.. Dont be scared

And it has a 31 spline 8.8 IRS....

Scott
02-27-2013, 04:05 PM
And it has a 31 spline 8.8 IRS....

the center section yes, but it also has a wheel hop problem with stock half shafts which is what breaks, and probably more power.. Just drive it right and you'll be fine

90blkbrd
02-27-2013, 04:29 PM
the center section yes, but it also has a wheel hop problem with stock half shafts which is what breaks, and probably more power.. Just drive it right and you'll be fine

Your Cobra's IRS was a direct descendant of the IRS in a MN12 or Thunderbird. They have the same problem. Your wouldn't have that problem if it were an automatic. The torque converter buffers the Drive train.

sparkles
02-27-2013, 04:37 PM
I always prefer to roll race only because it is easy on my diff case which can crack from the shock of launching the car. It has nothing to do with spinning or being a dyno queen. Now I do agree you do get those high hp cars that drop all their cash into the motor and still running 205/40 tires, can't slow their car down for shit, and need a mile just to hook up and pass you. I just laugh them off. But ask sparkles if I ever dig race still. I believe a well put together sports car should be able to do both. Any car can be built to do just one.

Absolutely. Killed me out of the hole by at least 3 or 4 cars. Playing catch up wasn't fun. You and Prez both. Freakin ricers.

sparkles
02-27-2013, 04:43 PM

^This guy gets it.

sparkles
02-27-2013, 04:50 PM
until i get my 9' rear. Sadly i will have to roll race to avoid breaking the stock 10 bolt then once the 9' goes in and then i'll start dig racing again.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/TAs/91%20TA/0215131713_zpsbc0629d0.jpg

BTW, you're not giving that 10 bolt enough credit. It'll get you to high 10s. Not sure how many times, but it will get you there. Can't remember, but does that have rear discs?

garyLT1
02-27-2013, 05:14 PM
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk276/ericksonb06/TAs/91%20TA/0215131713_zpsbc0629d0.jpg

BTW, you're not giving that 10 bolt enough credit. It'll get you to high 10s. Not sure how many times, but it will get you there. Can't remember, but does that have rear discs?

I don't know how someone who use to own my car can know so little about what it has lol.

And ya it has stock 3.23 posi with disc brakes all 4gen TA have standard disc all around. I hope it holds I'm hoping for 400whp to the wheels. Through that six speed we'll see how we'll it does.

sparkles
02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Then don't worry about it. Worst case scenario, you're brakes will hold the axle in when it breaks ;) Hell, Ryan doesn't even have C clip eliminators either. Throw the stickies on it and let it eat.

mark87supra
03-02-2013, 10:14 PM
Realizing this more and more. I completely changed my setup after last year and went to an auto, different suspension, and a few other things. Roll racing is all about who has more money and don't take hardly any driver mod. I can tell you I don't have enough to keep up.

True, roll racing is about higher hp cars stack up against each other with less potential of breaking parts. Then again dig racing is more about the car itself and how it is setup. Dig racing with an auto takes allot of driver out of it when compared to manuals.

Not a shot at Matt or anyone else with an auto.

allgo
03-03-2013, 10:15 AM
True, roll racing is about higher hp cars stack up against each other with less potential of breaking parts. Then again dig racing is more about the car itself and how it is setup. Dig racing with an auto takes allot of driver out of it when compared to manuals.

I love it when someone tries to tell me that it is so easy to drive a 1500hp auto in a race..they both take skills mr 200hp racer..

slow ride
03-03-2013, 12:48 PM
I was going to say he shouldn't generalize so much. I wouldn't want to be f-ing around with a stick/clutch trying to compete at the drag strip full time. At your level it takes every bit of driving and some luck to keep it going stright, but I think he was getting at the typical high 10 second cars and slower that tend to drive themselves after the launch.

mark87supra
03-03-2013, 12:57 PM
Dig racing with an auto takes allot of driver out of it when compared to manuals.

I love it when someone tries to tell me that it is so easy to drive a 1500hp auto in a race..they both take skills mr 200hp racer..

I did not say that it was easy to drive an auto, I said it is easier when compared to a manual. I'm also putting down allot more than 200hp don't let the looks fool you.