PDA

View Full Version : MAM Fast Friday Spring Track Day

Stix37867
02-13-2013, 12:29 PM
Since we seem to have some interest in a good track day, I figured we could start getting a date set up for those who need to request time off work.

Looking at the Fast Friday schedule, April 12th is one of the "Orientation Schools" for those who need one. If no one here needs that or everyone feels comfortable without it, we can move the date around. I need to do some track testing with the Spec Miata before my first race May 4th so April is a preferred time for me, but I can always go back another time without the race car and just the Rx7 if it doesn't work for everyone (FYI the benefit of having the race car there would be that we would have plenty of equipment in the trailer for breakdowns or tweaking).

So lets start with this:

Where: Mid America Motorplex
When: Friday, April 12th, 2013; track opens 9am

Anyone have a problem with this date?

sparkles
02-13-2013, 06:00 PM
I'm good with that. Will probably do that one even if we choose another date.

bfoster50620
02-14-2013, 06:19 PM
Count me in at this moment! Still waiting on new Hoosiers, Tire Rack should have a fresh batch by the end of the month from what I heard...

Sunny Z
02-15-2013, 10:32 AM
I'd like to go! I'd need the orientation... only ever been a passenger on a track with curves.

Xboosted23X
02-15-2013, 01:06 PM
I am up for going but I will have to see if my car is up for it. I think I need to upgrade my brakes and tires would help also.

90blkbrd
02-15-2013, 01:09 PM
I'm considering going.

ashanson
02-16-2013, 03:53 PM
I'm in for an April date, the 12th would work fine. Wouldn't necessarily need the orientation date, but it's always nice to have instructors there for ride-alongs and tips. Any details on price and number of sessions/duration?

Xboosted23X
02-17-2013, 08:08 AM
I think 80 for half day and 120 for full day. Does anyone know if that includes the transponder? 9-6 is a full day which should allow a lot of laps.

Stix37867
02-17-2013, 11:40 AM
I've never needed/asked about renting transponders and wasn't aware they rented them. I can check with them as we get closer to April.

As for price, we can usually get some discounted rates when you bring a larger group. After we get a estimate of how many people are coming, I can ask them for a better rate at the same time I check on the transponders. And BTW, I believe the orientation does cost a bit more but maybe I can get something worked out for that also.

I wouldn't worry about sessions though. Usually it is around 20 minute sessions depending on number of groups. If it isn't real busy or a lot of closed wheel race cars there, there will only be two race groups. Otherwise they will create three which still means you will have at least 9 or so sessions.

Brakes are a definite plus at MAM. I am an EBC guy for my Rx7 and will be putting on some Bluestuff with my half used yellowstuff as spares. We use Hawk Blues for the race car but never tried any of their other styles on a street car to comment on their trackability.

bfoster50620
02-17-2013, 07:36 PM
I usually run Hawk HP+ for autocross and single lap runs since they build heat pretty quick with good bite. BUT, they overheat fast with multiple laps, and really lose torque in a hurry. I ran them at Road America a couple years back when it was really cold. I thought for sure they would be good for the temp, but was sadly mistaken and boiled the fluid pretty quickly.

Either way, just check to make sure the fluid is new, and that your rotors and pads have plenty of meat on them.

ashanson
02-21-2013, 02:34 PM
Wow, over 2hrs total seat time, that is a lot! Count me in for sure. I haven't raced this car yet, will have to take it easy at first.
I have star specs and Pagid RS-14 pads, hopefully they hold up. I will also put in some new fluid before Spring, maybe some SS caliper pistons if I find the time or motivation.

Xboosted23X
02-21-2013, 05:35 PM
That is a lot of seat time, I had 4 20 min sessions and that was a lot. I would think about bringing some back up pads just in case and I'm going to need a fuel tanker to be track side for me. I am currently working on getting new wheels and tires that should help me out for the track. I'm not sure if I can make this date but will make a FF for sure.

slow ride
02-21-2013, 06:00 PM
Last time we did FF it was like we owned the place. Got physically tired of driving/concentrating so had to come in. My old stroker motor made enough heat to keep the oil/coolant temps up thats for sure .I had to do cool down laps and run in 4th only from time to time (try that with a small engine :)). Temp was in the mid 80's and a little muggy.

Stix37867
02-25-2013, 10:20 AM
As it will be early April, I'm hoping for a good 60-70 degree day. That is a sweet spot for keeping engines/brakes cool but warm enough to keep tires sticky and so we aren't all sweating balls all day.

I really wouldn't worry at all about track time. As was already stated, at times you will actually get tired of being out on track and have to come in for a break. The last time I went with a group from Dragsource, I took a break and sat in the stands just to watch everyone else drive for a bit. It also was fun to take turns riding in other cars and taking passengers out. You never know what you can learn from another driver or teach someone while out there.

If anyone has gas cans, wheels, or parts that they'd like to take let me know ahead of time. We will have room in the truck and trailer.

NosBoss
03-21-2013, 10:18 PM
Every fast Friday I've been to its been an open track. They hung the green flag till lunch break then hung it again after lunch. On and off the track as much as you wanted. I'm going over with a group towards the end of april. I will try to get a date out of them. I would like to meet up with some of you guys when I go.

Its been several years since I've had my '66 coupe on the track. I need to bring it, but it's hard to do when I can drive my dads 2012 boss 302. lol

bfoster50620
03-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Was going to update, I won't be able to make it now. I have a school that weekend, and the previous weekend. I am going to check the schedule and find exactly when I can hit up a track day for sure. I may try to get the car to the dyno before any track days as well, I don't want to find out the hard way that the tune may be off!

Stix37867
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
Well that's too bad. Would have been fun since I know you have experience on the track.

I'm still mostly on track with the spec miata for April 12th. We are heading to the dyno in a week or two and the suspension is almost done getting corner weighted and set up. Just need a couple more things done and she's ready.

The Rx7 just needs some new tires and springs installed. Once I get that done I can blow the cobwebs out of her.

sparkles
03-22-2013, 11:32 PM
We need to set this in stone so I can request time off

...and so Vito and Crown can finish messing with my car.

Stix37867
03-24-2013, 02:16 AM
Well I'm definitely going sparkles. Whoever else shows up is welcome.

bfoster50620
03-28-2013, 08:37 PM
I may be able to make it actually, I'd just have to leave early.... The course is in Perry and doesn't start until 5pm that evening. I'm debating here, would still LOVER to make it happen either way...

Sunny Z
03-30-2013, 09:58 AM
Soooo, april 12th? I'd love to have my car back together before then and put some street miles on it.... but it will be a stretch. I keep finding broken parts!

ashanson
03-30-2013, 11:55 AM
My car is almost back together, the problem is I am still waiting on an inspector to come see the car so I can get plates. Or maybe I can just trailer it.

sparkles
03-30-2013, 12:32 PM
Getting new cam, tuning, getting ready for spring turkey season, new bow, and rear end swap has left me pretty tapped out as far as money goes. I plan on making it to the first one, but I'm going to be lacking in the tires department. Still need to get a new helmet and some harnesses that are up to date.

Stix37867
03-31-2013, 07:39 PM
The last bits and pieces for the miata are coming in on Monday so hoping to do my dyno tuning next weekend. I've got to order an alignment setup to assist in easier/quicker adjustments and squaring the chassis so hoping that can get it before the track day.

Got my extra set of tires put on the rx7 finally. Just need spare brakes and she's ready.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Stix37867/image-4_zps0fb15dcf.jpg

JacobS
03-31-2013, 09:33 PM
have any pictures of the miata? im secretly in love with them

derek072887
04-01-2013, 07:30 AM
have any pictures of the miata? im secretly in love with them

Its no secret...

Stix37867
04-06-2013, 01:39 PM
The heart breaker...
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Stix37867/image-4_zps23210b25.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Stix37867/image-4_zps83233b77.jpg
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Stix37867/image-4_zps1609ed17.jpg

JacobS
04-06-2013, 04:06 PM
that. is. awesome. love it

c_mart_28
04-06-2013, 08:36 PM
Dave what kind of lap times does the FD typically turn in?

Friend of mine was just there turning in 1:54 times in his E63 AMG. I really want to take the wife's Mazdaspeed 3 to see how terrible of driver I am.

It'll happen this year. At some point.

Stix37867
04-06-2013, 09:56 PM
Using some video I had, I figured it to be 1:50-1:51

MAM is a pretty nice course especially since there are no walls to make your mistakes any worse. The wife would never even know you went, minus the spent tires and brakes...

Xboosted23X
04-06-2013, 11:33 PM
What does the Miata normally run? You don't happen to have a set of scales do you?

bfoster50620
04-07-2013, 06:51 AM
Chasing down a few gremlins but looks lime ill make friday if the weather permits!

c_mart_28
04-07-2013, 09:05 AM
The wife would never even know you went, minus the spent tires and brakes...
Ha. Oh she'd have to be on board with me taking it. Dave I've been married almost 10 years. There's no such thing as pulling a fast one in my household... :)

sparkles
04-07-2013, 09:46 AM
I've got Friday off and getting everything buttoned up today hopefully. I'm interested in the scales too Dave. If yes, I'd like to stop over sometime this week.

Stix37867
04-07-2013, 09:52 AM
What does the Miata normally run? You don't happen to have a set of scales do you?

It normally ran solid 1:50 but now with a lot of upgrades and improvements ivy goal is somewhere on the 1:48s. That's what I need to begin to be competitive. And yes we do have scales.

Foster, good to hear. I'm in the same boat for both cars so it is going to be a busy week.

So lets make a list of all who is going so I can get a head count. If we have enough people we can get a group rate possibly.

1. Stix37867 (Dave)

Sunny Z
04-07-2013, 07:51 PM
i'm out.... this time. IN for later though.

sparkles
04-07-2013, 09:46 PM
I'm in of coarse. What's the possibility I could come out this week and use those scales :)

Xboosted23X
04-07-2013, 10:05 PM
My car is not ready for this week. It will have to be in the future. I would really like to get my trans fixed before I go back. I think I could shave some more time off, just not sure what a good goal to shoot for is.

Would it be possible to use your scales and I'll give you some money? I would like to get a better weight than from a truck stop.

bfoster50620
04-08-2013, 06:25 AM
I'm still waiting on the forecast for the weekend. Friday looks dry, but cold. Hoping to get plugs changed tonight, test fit the new wheels and get a couple miles on the new tires, and fix this lean condition that the car all of the sudden decided to get. If it isn't one thing, it's another. joy.

AutoMods
04-08-2013, 11:25 AM
I'm still waiting on the forecast for the weekend. Friday looks dry, but cold. Hoping to get plugs changed tonight, test fit the new wheels and get a couple miles on the new tires, and fix this lean condition that the car all of the sudden decided to get. If it isn't one thing, it's another. joy.

my car got lean for no reason last year, turned out to be the wideband sensor itself

Stix37867
04-08-2013, 11:53 AM
I doubt I will have time to scale anyone else's cars before this Friday. I've got so much to do and work has been crazy lately. I'm not liking the cold weather forecast for Friday. Going to make it tough to get heat into the tires to get any real testing done with the miata.

ashanson
04-08-2013, 02:39 PM
Yea, I'm not liking the cold weather on Friday, plus with not having the retune done yet after some power upgrades I don't think it would be wise to go this time. I should be tuned by end of April and would love to make it to a future event.

What mods did you recently do to your Miata? Also interested in other specs like power, weight, etc.
I weighed my car last Fall at a truck stop, how accurate are those, just 20lb increments? I am hoping to be around 1900lbs with a full tank of gas this year.

Stix37867
04-08-2013, 09:46 PM
My spec weight requirement is 2350 which we are pretty close to hitting once fuel is burnt off during the race. We end up with about two gallons of gas to spare so we only fill to around 1/3 tank.

I just put on new upper strut mounts with the aftermarket bump stop kit, head was sent of to get spec'd to maximize performance, and new adjustable fuel regulator so we can lean out the stock tune.

bfoster50620
04-11-2013, 05:35 PM
Due to the cold weather and a lingering issue that may require a dyno visit, i'm going to skip tomorrkw. Hoping that i can reschedule for another date soon, i need some seat time with the new car!

Stix37867
04-11-2013, 05:42 PM
Actually I was just getting ready to cancel the whole thing too. Sparkles and I talked and agreed the weather sucks balls for a track day. I will look ahead a few weeks and see what we can do...maybe the first or second Friday in May? Gives everyone some extra time to get their cars together and such.

sparkles
04-11-2013, 06:15 PM
That will give me time to install the new rear, so I'm ok with it. Was really looking forward to going, but oh well.

ashanson
04-12-2013, 12:48 AM
I am getting tuned May 4th, so if it's the second Friday in May (the 10th) I am in for sure!

Stix37867
04-12-2013, 04:23 PM
Since everyone is so interested, here a teaser. Since the weather screwed our track day I figured I'd tweak some more on the suspension to see if I can get it closer to where I want it.

http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c173/Stix37867/image-4_zps6dd6d098.jpg (http://s27.photobucket.com/user/Stix37867/media/image-4_zps6dd6d098.jpg.html)

ashanson
04-29-2013, 01:08 PM
This Friday looks like rain, anybody up for May 10th? I am getting really excited to hit the track for the first time in this car!

sparkles
04-29-2013, 07:27 PM
May 31st is the first time I'm going to be able to make it.

Stix37867
04-30-2013, 11:38 AM
I will most likely be taking just the miata due to time constraints. First race is May 17th so I have to do the 10th to get my testing done. Two sets of tires will be here by this weekend so I should be good to go for testing next Friday.

ashanson
04-30-2013, 01:56 PM
Hmm, there is autox in Marshalltown the next day, maybe I'll just do both!

Xboosted23X
04-30-2013, 10:35 PM
What mtown event is going on then? I thought it was May 4th for the NQS.

ashanson
05-01-2013, 11:11 AM
May 11th is the p-car event (both central iowa and shonesland clubs I believe). A friend invited me and said they don't mind if a few others show up as well. Your evo would probably be good competition, and it's only like $25.

Xboosted23X
05-01-2013, 02:19 PM
I would like to go and test out my changes, but I have to work. I'm not sure what a P-car is? I plan on being at Mtown on the 8th of june for sure though.

ashanson
05-01-2013, 02:44 PM
Sorry, p-car must be a Minnesota thing. Porsche.

Xboosted23X
05-01-2013, 07:29 PM
O gotcha. I wouldn't mind playing with some porsches. They would pry handle me.

ashanson
05-03-2013, 03:44 AM
I think you would destroy most of their dreams. As well as my car. From what I remember you car is quick, and a lot of them are 944 and the like. I just need to acquire the driver mod, and maybe some slicks if the wife permits :)

Xboosted23X
05-03-2013, 08:58 AM
Haha well I would like to get into the 1:17s this year on street tires. I would like to see how your Lotus does. I have always liked those cars.

bfoster50620
05-03-2013, 06:15 PM
I can't help but notice you guys are wanting to hit the Marshalltown track. My only bit of advice is to use plenty of caution when running it. The track WAS NOT BUILT FOR CARS. There is NO room for error, and there have been more than one occasion where someone has wrinkled a fender or two. I loved going there when I was younger and raced Hondas because it felt like I was actually on a REAL track. I've also experienced the track airborne and sideways in the passenger seat of a vehicle there. Not fun!

I am happy to report that in a few more days I will be ready for the season! I think? Got the car dynode and made 556rwhp/527rwtq. Found that the car was running HORRIBLE due to a faulty o2 sensor which has now been fixed. I also had the pleasure of cleaning out the air filter... 5 times before it was clean. I have never seen an air filter that dirty, and hope I never have to again. No joke, I found a wasp nest, various bug parts, and caked mud coating the filter. I'm shocked it was able to breathe at all! Just have an oil change, alignment, re-install filter, and put the HP+ pads in the car as opposed to the extremely aggressive high temp pads that are currently in it and I'm ready to go baby.

I am getting antsy. I watched some video from the NASA event there last weekend. Needless to say, I'm going to do everything possible in order to make the next event at MAM.

ashanson
05-05-2013, 10:32 PM
Got tuned this past weekend, 304whp and 192tq, really excited. Also got over 30mpg on the trip so that was a nice surprise lol.
I have a small battery and stronger toe links on order so hopefully I can get those installed plus an alignment before Friday.

ashanson
05-07-2013, 12:27 AM
I can't help but notice you guys are wanting to hit the Marshalltown track. My only bit of advice is to use plenty of caution when running it. The track WAS NOT BUILT FOR CARS. There is NO room for error, and there have been more than one occasion where someone has wrinkled a fender or two. I loved going there when I was younger and raced Hondas because it felt like I was actually on a REAL track. I've also experienced the track airborne and sideways in the passenger seat of a vehicle there. Not fun!

I am happy to report that in a few more days I will be ready for the season! I think? Got the car dynode and made 556rwhp/527rwtq. Found that the car was running HORRIBLE due to a faulty o2 sensor which has now been fixed. I also had the pleasure of cleaning out the air filter... 5 times before it was clean. I have never seen an air filter that dirty, and hope I never have to again. No joke, I found a wasp nest, various bug parts, and caked mud coating the filter. I'm shocked it was able to breathe at all! Just have an oil change, alignment, re-install filter, and put the HP+ pads in the car as opposed to the extremely aggressive high temp pads that are currently in it and I'm ready to go baby.

I am getting antsy. I watched some video from the NASA event there last weekend. Needless to say, I'm going to do everything possible in order to make the next event at MAM.

I have raced at the Marshalltown track a few times with my Talon and my C6, I know it's narrow but I know the limits. Since my car is pretty new to me I'm going to take it VERY easy the first few laps just to get a feel for it.

You must have a pretty big stroker or some boost to make 556 on a C5Z, what all have you modified on the car? I loved my C6 except for the huge cam that caused a bit of idle surge. Otherwise was an awesome car.

Are you going to MAM this Friday?

bfoster50620
05-08-2013, 05:16 PM
No, I probably won't make it on Friday. Our tactical unit has training and I also have an awards assembly to attend, so I'm out!

My car has a Lingenfelter 427 motor so it runs pretty hard when pushed. This car SHOULD enable me to get the record I've been trying for at MAM for some time now. Soon enough we'll see.