PDA

View Full Version : Just a squirrel tryin to get a nut!

bfoster50620
02-06-2013, 08:00 PM
Howdy,

Many of you may know me as "whiteshadow" from the other boards, but as i've grown older I have realized that I probably don't need a superhero name. Even though it's really cool. And I still occasionally call myself the great white shadow. Because I think it's cool.

I'm Brian Foster, I live in Newton, own a yellow Z06 and a big black truck. I actively participate in Corvette Club events, and have for over 10 years. I used to do a lot of SCCA events, but have found over the years that if you aren't driving a sport compact car, you will have a hard time enjoying yourself on the tight courses they put on. (Nothing against the local SCCA region, it's really flourished the last few years, and was really fun when I first started autocrossing Hondas). This is why racing with the local Corvette clubs is a blast.

I have owned many different types of vehicles over the years, and have gone through a boat load of good and bad personal experiences. I work in a very interesting profession, and recently took a new assignment that will free up most weekends for me so I plan on trying to make a few more get-togethers.

Here are a few pictures of the setup, I'll get a few pictures of my trailer when I get the damn thing cleaned after bringing the old man's Corvette back from Arizona.

Anyways, hello to everyone.

-Brian F.

JacobS
02-06-2013, 08:13 PM
i seriously like c5 vettes better than c6s...nice car and welcome! I had a car named the Great White Buffalo once.

AutoMods
02-06-2013, 08:55 PM
welcome, whats all done to the motor?

Phish
02-06-2013, 09:05 PM
Glad to see you made your way over to IAF. Its been awhile since i have seen you around. I believe the last time is aw you was with Tad and I at Hooters ... and Hardees i think a few years back. Either way you had your black Vette then i beleive....

BGjohnson
02-06-2013, 09:14 PM
I hear the Corvette club gets to do some really fun track day events.

c_mart_28
02-07-2013, 08:10 AM
You'll always be Whiteshadow in my heart...

Car looks killer man. I bet it is an absolute blast on the track.

Xboosted23X
02-07-2013, 09:10 AM
Does the corvette club do mostly track days? I know the put on a autox last year at the ankeny airport which would of been fun. Is anyone welcome to race with you guys?

Sleepy
02-07-2013, 10:41 AM
Brian glad to see you made it over. DS is a bit dead these days. Now you just need to score yourself a race for upwards of five dollars.

Phish
02-07-2013, 12:40 PM
^ I actually just used that quote on facebook a few hours ago. Its funny how many sayings people use now-a-days and they have no clue that they have an inside meaning or some back story to them.

Sleepy
02-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Great quote from long ago.

sparkles
02-07-2013, 04:02 PM
^ I actually just used that quote on facebook a few hours ago. Its funny how many sayings people use now-a-days and they have no clue that they have an inside meaning or some back story to them.

I use it all the time. I know what you mean.

Brian, what are you doing then? You quit being a cop to become a male nude dancer?

bfoster50620
02-07-2013, 05:39 PM
It's a Lingenfelter 427 motor, built from a Dart block, but pretty much everything that Lingenfelter did all motor was put into this one. In fact, at the time this particular motor was built, it was their "highest NA LS-powered motor." What's funny about it, is that the motor actually chassis dynoed higher than it chassis dynoed when Lingenfelter put a maggie supercharger on the original LS6. When it all comes down to it, the motor chassis-dynoed at 505rwhp/487rwtq I believe. I may update the heads to LS7 heads for a bit more power as they flow even better than the heads that are currently on it.

It's running with 3.90 gears, which is not exactly ideal with the broad torque curve that this car has. My last Z06 was fairly stock (I/H/E) with 4.10 gears which were PERFECT for that amount of power. I've already found that even with the 335 tires on the rear of this car, I can't get a lot of traction in 1st and 2nd gears, and a bit of third. This car won't be the greatest low-speed autocross car, but the high speed stuff should do well.

Anyone who is interested in racing with our Corvette Club is definitely welcome... Our local Iowa club hosts a great event at the Chariton Airport over the Memorial Day weekend. It starts with a car show on the square (sorry, Corvettes only for the show) but then Sunday and Monday are spent at the airport with "low speed" autocrosses... The "low speed" part is laughable! It's truly a blast, I'm sure you may find some youtube videos of the events. By all means, send me a PM or two, and we'll get a group together to hit up a few track days and what not!

bfoster50620
02-07-2013, 05:45 PM
Hahaha, racing for "upwards of $5.00." I may have to find the guy in the boosted Ranger and bring him back on this forum... Those really WERE the days!

I just accepted a position as the SRO for our department, so I will spend most of my time in the schools in our district. Which means that I have nights AND weekends off most of the year! I will still work patrol during the summer, but it MAY be on dayshift. We'll see what happens. But the dancer part could have its benefits...

I was wondering what was going on with DS lately. It seemed like there would be ONE new post every month or two. Really sad man, especially when you think of what the site, and what the car scene in the area USED to be.

Xboosted23X
02-07-2013, 08:07 PM
Do you guys do any track days a MAM? Also next time you see Schuler kick him in the nuts for me.

bfoster50620
02-08-2013, 06:13 PM
The Cornhusker Corvette Club hosts an event every year at MAM over Labor Day weekend which is a blast to attend. Here's a video of my quickest run in my last '02 Z06 with a few screw-ups that prevented me from taking the records that I was trying for. I still smashed my old record for that class, but I want the overall win! I'd REALLY love to find out what kind of lap time that could've been if we had a warm-up lap and a TRUE flying start.

http://youtu.be/0wFemq9OO_s

Next time you talk to Schuler, tell him congratulations on his upcoming engagement... That is SURE to get a rise out of him!

slow ride
02-08-2013, 06:53 PM
Looks like you were getting after it to me. We did a fast Friday out at MAM a couple years ago. Not sure if the turbo setup would work the best, but if I find a trailer I just might try it:)

bfoster50620
02-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Turbos may work for a couple laps in our "bottom feeding" cars, but after about two or three laps, they'll overheat. A turbo car would definitely set a few fast "flying" laps though!

Xboosted23X
02-08-2013, 10:36 PM
Do they always start you that way? I did a event for SCCA last year at MAM and it was a blast although we had other cars on the track with us. What kind of times do you normally put down? I'll have to remember to look at the schedule for MAM to see if I can make it over there.

I think he is just calling Whitneys bluff. Pretty soon she will leave him if it doesn't happen.

slow ride
02-09-2013, 07:26 AM
No doubt, more of a time attack than a hot lapper. My car gets hot (~300f oil and 220 coolant) and it was only about 80-85 outside that day. That was at 501hp/453tq and stock cooling parts with no oil cooler. I plan to close in all the radiator support areas around the intercooler to force all the front and under car air through the coolers. I added a oil cooler behind the Dewitts radiator also. All that stuff and running e85 might help quite a bit, but you can always turn the boost down or vent the hood. I know it will need a lot of tire and brake to keep it on the track though, but still adding the weight of the turbo componets doesn't do good things to handling :)

You might know my friend Chris (black FRC, black z06 18's all aruond w/hoosiers) I know he does the airport thing a lot and Newton autox some I think.

Turbos may work for a couple laps in our "bottom feeding" cars, but after about two or three laps, they'll overheat. A turbo car would definitely set a few fast "flying" laps though!

tylers88
02-09-2013, 09:33 PM
you can always turn the boost down

That is logical and makes less power(possibly more useful power) so why would that even be an option, lol.

To the OP your car is awesome but I love your truck, I'm more of a truck guy if you can't tell.

bfoster50620
02-10-2013, 01:34 PM
I think the Corvette Club runs the same direction to start each time, but not 100% on that. Either way, I'm going to hit a few "fast fridays" in the early spring to get some bugs worked out and make sure I get up to speed quickly with this car.

Slow ride, yep I know Chris! In fact I autocrossed with him before he got the FRC. He's pretty darn quick with the current car!

I really REALLY wish someone would put the time and effort into building a true turbo Corvette that will last around a track. I KNOW it can be done, and I want someone to prove it! I get extremely tired of reading threads over on Corvetteforum.com where someone is looking for help building a turbo car for the track, and the ENTIRE board bashes on the idea of using ANY KIND of forced induction. I realize that the LS motors make GREAT N/A power with very little tweaking, but DAMN at least try it!

Heat is the issue, and most track guys are into vented hoods, making the car a front breather, tilting the radiator forward, etc etc.

Oh well!

Tyler, This is my first diesel truck. I never thought I'd get into modding a diesel, and other stuff but WOW it's amazing to see what these trucks are capable of!

DustinsDuster
02-10-2013, 05:41 PM
you share a name with one of the smoothest BMXer's of all time. welcome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gI1_9Iov_D4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2AeMW643UI

bfoster50620
02-10-2013, 06:34 PM
You know, I ALMOST bought a Brian Foster edition BMX bike back when I was into that stuff... Think Middle-School, before I had a car. I think Mongoose made it, before they sold out and started selling bikes at Wal-mart.

I remember seeing him on the X-games like the first couple of years doing the bike air competition stuff on dirt.

Stix37867
02-11-2013, 08:59 AM
With all this talk of a track day at MAM, we may have to put something together this spring. I know I will be heading over there with the Spec Miata for some testing so I could easily drive the Rx7 too for some all day fun. I know Sparkles and I had talked about it like two years ago but that's about as far as we got.

Foster - Didn't you use to do some Spec Miata racing a while back?

slow ride
02-11-2013, 09:38 AM
I've tried to insulate a lot of the hot parts in my setup, but without trying it I can say how it will work out. I know a huge thing will be closing in the coolers so that airflow has no way around the IC/Rad, etc. If it needs a lot more air I suppose the tigershark front bumper and vented hood would do it. I've see a handfull of supercharged vettes make it work on the track, but it's rare like you say. I do believe e85 will play a big part also. Adding the weight is the real deal breaker, but I suppose with enough tire and brake it might work out.

I think the Corvette Club runs the same direction to start each time, but not 100% on that. Either way, I'm going to hit a few "fast fridays" in the early spring to get some bugs worked out and make sure I get up to speed quickly with this car.

Slow ride, yep I know Chris! In fact I autocrossed with him before he got the FRC. He's pretty darn quick with the current car!

I really REALLY wish someone would put the time and effort into building a true turbo Corvette that will last around a track. I KNOW it can be done, and I want someone to prove it! I get extremely tired of reading threads over on Corvetteforum.com where someone is looking for help building a turbo car for the track, and the ENTIRE board bashes on the idea of using ANY KIND of forced induction. I realize that the LS motors make GREAT N/A power with very little tweaking, but DAMN at least try it!

Heat is the issue, and most track guys are into vented hoods, making the car a front breather, tilting the radiator forward, etc etc.

Oh well!

Tyler, This is my first diesel truck. I never thought I'd get into modding a diesel, and other stuff but WOW it's amazing to see what these trucks are capable of!

sparkles
02-11-2013, 09:57 AM
With all this talk of a track day at MAM, we may have to put something together this spring. I know I will be heading over there with the Spec Miata for some testing so I could easily drive the Rx7 too for some all day fun. I know Sparkles and I had talked about it like two years ago but that's about as far as we got.

Set something up. I'll be going to a few of them.

DustinsDuster
02-11-2013, 06:34 PM
You know, I ALMOST bought a Brian Foster edition BMX bike back when I was into that stuff... Think Middle-School, before I had a car. I think Mongoose made it, before they sold out and started selling bikes at Wal-mart.

I remember seeing him on the X-games like the first couple of years doing the bike air competition stuff on dirt.

probably Schwinn before they sold out and started selling bikes at Wal-Mart too. i met Brian Foster a few times going to national races- he was a super nice guy. more than willing to take pics with and talk to 13 year olds who ask dumb questions.

bfoster50620
02-12-2013, 04:54 PM

Yeah, I used to race Spec Miata.... I can honestly say that it was a mistake and I went about it all wrong. I decided to impulse buy a BSI built car in Miami, FL. I thought for SURE I was getting a good car. Nope. I bought a car with a TIRED engine, and by that, I mean WAYYYYYY TIRED. At Gateway, I would get a good run on another Miata out of the infield, and by the time we would get to the start/finish line, the other car would have 20+ car lengths on me. I'd gain it all back on the infield section, and lose it all on the NASCAR part of the track. I really screwed myself by purchasing that car, and now that I've spent this much time in horsepower cars, I'd never go back. I'd think about T1 racing if it was affordable, but frankly T1 is ridiculous now-a-days. NASA ST-2 or ST-1 looks like a blast, but I don't feel like hacking up my car. I might try TT but without a dry-sump in my car, I'm afraid that I'll wind up popping this $30k motor in a hurry.

Either way, I'm down with some spring track day action, I'll start looking at some dates and maybe we'll have to roll in to Omaha with a mob of foos!

Xboosted23X
02-12-2013, 06:35 PM
MAM just released the Fast Friday schedule. We will have to get a date setup for that. I know a few guys from Des Moines area that would like to go.

bfoster50620
09-11-2013, 08:05 PM