PDA

View Full Version : Car Insurance - Who ya got?

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Looking for new insurance because State Farm decided they didn't want me anymore:lame:

I've been looking at progressive... very tempting with their rates, but I've heard horror stories about their customer service.

Right now for my 06 silverado and 280z, its like $160 a month. full coverage on the silverado, liability on the 280.

SledgeWS6
01-02-2013, 04:55 PM
I have had no problems with Progressive. Of course, I've never called in a claim either.
I've got the Cobalt and Trans Am on full coverage, Cavalier is on minimal liability. It is only $110 more just keep the TA insured for 6 months, so I figured what the heck. I think my over-all bill is $435.00-ish for 6 months. Disclaimer: I've been a customer for 3 years now, have not had a moving violation in about 6 years, and am 25 years old now (It was about $500.00 before I turned the magic age). I've also taken advantage of snap-shot so I shaved off about another $20.00 there.

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 05:10 PM
Yeah, I have a bit more colorful driving record. I'm looking at $910 for 6 months. yahoo

AutoMods
01-02-2013, 05:25 PM
farm bureau was the best rate for us but that is combined with a home insurance discount .

get some full coverage on that z, you are at more risk on that car because I'd imagine you drive it more aggressively and its probably more prone to getting parts stolen off it.

CiviC_boY
01-02-2013, 06:36 PM
Been with progressive for like 5 years now and i love them.. And i did that snap shot thing you plug into your obd2 dock and it saved me like $53 a month.

Sleepy
01-02-2013, 07:39 PM
I have Midwest Family Mutual Insurance. Its a smaller company however a friend has them also, I have had one homeowners claim(food spoilage) and the friend has had a few auto claims. Great claims service.
The only downside(if you see it as a downside) is you have to work through an agent.

https://midwestfamily.com/

snickerlicker
01-02-2013, 08:11 PM
State Farm for 23 years. Miss my Iowa rates, they doubled when I moved South.

Clinical
01-02-2013, 09:10 PM
state farm here as well. I've been lucky with them. When I had my 3 vehicles insured back in summer/fall I was paying 18/mo on my mazda, 4/mo on the ruckus, and 12/mo on my bike. $40/mo for 3 vehicles all liability. During the summer I ran full coverage on my ruckus and bike and I was paying $70/mo total including liability on my eclipse at the time.

I've always had good luck with them, especially when they never put my 40 over ticket on my record many years ago. As far as they are concerned I have a clean record. Sucks they dropped you, I'd guess try progressive - buddy had similar issue when he got his busa and ended up having to go through them although his rates arent so good.

Xboosted23X
01-02-2013, 10:46 PM
I have AAA. Switched from progressive due to being cheaper and better coverage. As a DSMer it would be stupid not to have AAA for the free 100 mile tow. They also cover my aftermarket parts which is a plus.

86svo9L
01-03-2013, 01:20 AM
Progressive here. We do the snapshot deal and end up getting money back every month. Was with State Farm for 7 years and swapped to Progressive and could not be happier but I prefer a company that leaves me alone. State Farm was always calling me to ask how they were doing, drove me crazy.

Sunny Z
01-03-2013, 04:59 AM
I have AAA. Switched from progressive due to being cheaper and better coverage. As a DSMer it would be stupid not to have AAA for the free 100 mile tow. They also cover my aftermarket parts which is a plus.

This might be something to look for in the future, but I needed insurance pronto.

Xboosted23X
01-03-2013, 06:02 AM
This might be something to look for in the future, but I needed insurance pronto.
You can go into a AAA office and get it the same day. The office I use is off of hickman near 80/35. I think its on 111th street.

SledgeWS6
01-03-2013, 06:43 AM
you can go into a aaa office and get it the same day. The office i use is off of hickman near 80/35. I think its on 111th street.

AAA ftmfw!

c_mart_28
01-03-2013, 06:49 AM
Progressive also. Going on almost 10 years.

No complaints. Something about being able to call at any time, talk to a live person and add or remove vehicles when needed. Full coverage on my explorer, the wife's mazdaspeed 3 and my red car runs me ~$116/mo.

Can someone explain the snap shot thing to me?

86svo9L
01-03-2013, 09:11 AM
It plugs into your OBD2 port and they basically record your driving habits, how much you drive, how often you panic brake, etc. If you do not drive a whole lot or less than they deem normal and you drive safely you get a certain percentage back. I thought I drove a lot and we got money back almost every month. Sometimes more than $30.

derek072887
01-03-2013, 10:06 AM
Progressive, $100/month just for the integra full coverage :/ not such a good driving record...
$62/year for the zuma for full coverage though!

RandomHero
01-03-2013, 10:23 AM
Progressive for awhile now. I pay about $500ish every 6 months for full coverage on my 2007 Outlander. Their customer service is amazing, my windsheild cracked and called in to do a claim but told them I wanted to wait to get it fixed since it was the winter, that summer I got another crack in the windsheild, called back into Progressive to finally do a claim and they said no problem, made an onsite appointment for me to get my window fixed.

Sidenote: totally thought that snapshot thing was a commercial gimmick, mine is on its way now, we shall see how much I save.

RedRocketZ28
01-03-2013, 10:28 AM
My fiance and I have a 2009 Camry, 2002 Avalanche, and my Camaro. Right now the insurance is taken off the Camaro for the winter and we are paying $245 a month for the other two cars, full coverage. We just had to switch insurance companies due to the finance having a couple of accidents the past two winters (she is no longer allowed to drive when there is snow on the ground). We switched from Shelter, because they dropped her, to Nationwide and bundled our homeowners insurance. She has a friend who works for Nationwide, and I have a loan through them so that is why we decided to go that route.

Anyway, I think I am going to give Progressive a call and see what they can do. Thoughts from anyone?

AutoMods
01-03-2013, 10:47 AM
http://media.npr.org/assets/img/2012/09/24/flo_sq-b8e22ec22c2e1cca106d00eb6524dd16d91fad2f.jpg?s=4

snickerlicker
01-03-2013, 10:58 AM
My fiance and I have a 2009 Camry, 2002 Avalanche, and my Camaro. Right now the insurance is taken off the Camaro for the winter and we are paying $245 a month for the other two cars, full coverage. We just had to switch insurance companies due to the finance having a couple of accidents the past two winters (she is no longer allowed to drive when there is snow on the ground). We switched from Shelter, because they dropped her, to Nationwide and bundled our homeowners insurance. She has a friend who works for Nationwide, and I have a loan through them so that is why we decided to go that route.

Anyway, I think I am going to give Progressive a call and see what they can do. Thoughts from anyone?

Just;

SledgeWS6
01-03-2013, 11:23 AM
After the PR in this thread, Progressive should pay you for advertising Ryan! :biggrin:

Larsons Fox
01-03-2013, 09:30 PM
Keith Isreal and Sons in Ankeny will give you a good deal. He will look around and give you the best price. He set me up with Progressive for my vehicles. Im at $55/ for both cars liability and comp on the mustang. My bike on the other hand is $94/month!

Progressive actually pays out well for claims. We deal with them at work all the time. Defiantly not as well as State Farm but good for the price they are.

90blkbrd
01-04-2013, 09:41 AM
I had progressive for about 10 years. Around year 2 I had a deer hit on a car. They were excellent and I was very happy with their service. Not thrilled with the numb nut at Karl Chevrolet who did a piss poor job buffing the new paint and leaving heavy swirl marks in it. I took it back and they tried to remove them and couldn't. I gave up as it was a lease that was in year 2 of 3.

Th reason I left progressive is they decided to use a new algorithm to figure rates and mine doubled. I made many phone calls and talked to quite a few people at progressive and got a bunch of bullshit responses. It seems 10 years of no tickets, auto deduct payments and 1 deer accident meant nothing in then new way of figuring premium.

Funny thing is I went to State Farm and they were $100 cheaper than my old rate at Progressive.

WhiteHemi345
01-13-2013, 11:38 AM
I have american family. I pay $75 a month f/c for my pickup. i got it that cheap because i used to have a 99 durango on my policy that had liability. Claims are easy to deal with. Recently had to repair a rock chip in my windshield and i was on the phone for a solid 10 minutes with them and had everything taken care of with them.