PDA

View Full Version : Operation: Apartment Rape Job

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 09:08 AM
So after not really watching my cable for the last few months, I decided to call to cancel it. However, its tacked onto my rent, as they have a "special contract" through mediacom.

They verbally told me when I moved in that I could cancel it at any time - with no fee.

Call to cancel just now, and they told me it would be a $150 fee, as "the policies have changed". I politely told them that I had not received such notification, they just said sorry, and there's nothing they can do.

In my opinion, its not really worth them charging me $150 to cancel my fucking cable, for all the bad PR i'm going to give them for changing shit and not telling me.

I'm not pleased, and I'm going to hold off paying my rent, and go talk to the manager today after work. I know that some of you own / manage apartment complexes, so.... what would you do / what can I do?

SaNdMaNsSi
01-02-2013, 09:51 AM
Holding off rent is a pretty bad idea....you're better off paying and hoping to get cash back, or holding out down the road like before you move out. In Iowa they have to give you notice of eviction, and if they see you as a problem, withholding your rent is breaking the contract and they could proceed with eviction. Also, if the cable is part of your move in contract, if you withhold payment of rent, that is a breach of contract on your part which they can definitely prove which also allows them to not honor THEIR side of the contract..IE, now they can charge you 150..... Even if they are being crooked, you're always better off being the honest one.

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 10:10 AM
I guess I wasn't clear. I'm not going to pay it until I at least talk to the manager - today.

The thing that makes me mad is that this policy was changed with no communication. Its not a ton of money, more of a matter of priciple, and good business. Situations just like this are exactly why I think its retarded to rent when you could own...

Thats the next step

SledgeWS6
01-02-2013, 10:42 AM
The thing that makes me mad is that this policy was changed with no communication. Its not a ton of money, more of a matter of principle, and good business.

Legally, you're probably binded by a clause along the lines of: "Rates/Policies subject to change without prior consent". Basically, that makes it your responsibility at the end of each month to check for such changes, washing the complex/ownership of any negligence.

Which apartment complex is this BTW?

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 12:14 PM
The Fountains off 50th in WDSM

Yeah, I assumed as much, but I just kinda have a shred of hope that they'll work with me.

Newgen
01-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm thinking you should write them a nice fb message on there wall.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/The-Fountains-Apartments/163380287023865?fref=ts

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 03:50 PM
Well the squeaky wheel gets the grease! I politely plead my case, and "they'll waive it this time". Boo yeah.

However, I was told I can't "play mechanic in the garage anymore" because they charge $55/mo for "cars that people actually use" Apparently one of the maintenance men who drooling over my car told on me.

Oh well.

Just one more reason to start seriously house shopping.

Anyone know of a good realtor? probably looking at forclosures.

AutoMods
01-02-2013, 03:57 PM
are you paying for the garage already?

Sunny Z
01-02-2013, 04:07 PM
Oh yeah. Have been since day 1.

BGjohnson
01-02-2013, 04:09 PM
motha bitches!

Domestic Disturbance
01-02-2013, 04:10 PM
I'm here for the gangbang

SledgeWS6
01-02-2013, 04:56 PM
However, I was told I can't "play mechanic in the garage anymore" because they charge $55/mo for "cars that people actually use" Apparently one of the maintenance men who drooling over my car told on me.

Now that's some Grade-A bullshit right there.

Xboosted23X
01-02-2013, 10:50 PM
I don't see what it matters if you are working on your car in the garage as long as you pay for the garage.

86svo9L
01-03-2013, 01:12 AM
Definitely start looking to own, who knows how long the low interest rates will hold. I used Mike Winders for a Realtor and he was a real down to earth guy, only showed us what we wanted to be shown and kept BS to a minimum. Not sure if he does the Des Moines area though.

slow ride
01-03-2013, 06:35 AM
Yea, with rates now and being able to write off some of the taxes and interest (for now) you can get a decent house for the same or less than rent. Man I don't think I could have bit my tounge about how I use the garage I pay for.

Drifte
01-04-2013, 10:02 AM
Usually its the college town complexes that really screw people over.

Somewhat long story, but in 2006 I moved into Hill Crest in cedar falls with 3 other guys, one of them being an employee of the complex. Half way through the year he decided I should live at the next building over so the guy that lived there could live with him. Offered me cash to make the trade so I went for it. In May my contract is up and I renew it, then get a letter that says I have to move out for 3 months while they clean. (renewing they decided again I should live in another building). So I had to find a place to live for 3 months, and decided I wont be renewing. They hand me the contract back, my rates and details have all been white-d out and new rates, different building are on there. My signature is of course still on the bottom. Then request I give it back, and sign a new one. I refuse which pisses them off.

LONG story short, I get charged my $700 deposit for canceling the next years contract...and what could I really do about it as a broke college kid.

SledgeWS6
01-04-2013, 10:07 AM
Yea, with rates now and being able to write off some of the taxes and interest (for now) you can get a decent house for the same or less than rent. Man I don't think I could have bit my tounge about how I use the garage I pay for.

Not to make this political, but they're getting rid of that deduction for 2014.

Sunny Z
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM
So I guess the question should be, anyone have a real estate agent in DSM they know / trust? Probably be looking for something outside of actual DM. Possibly in the norwalk area, but I'm not opposed to the north side.

Sunny Z
01-04-2013, 12:12 PM

Tell me about it.

SledgeWS6
01-04-2013, 01:02 PM
So I guess the question should be, anyone have a real estate agent in DSM they know / trust?

I've worked with James Von Gillern at Coldwell Banker before. He specializes in the metro-area, but I'm sure he can find you something.

slow ride
01-04-2013, 01:37 PM
It might be based on income levels or non homestead residence. Look into it some, but yea they got to pay for all the spending some how right ;)

Not to make this political, but they're getting rid of that deduction for 2014.

garyLT1
01-04-2013, 02:41 PM
The Realtor I used when i bought my current house was Becky Jackson, she works for Re-max in WDM. Great lady. And i don't know what your price range is for houses but I know there is some good houses with two car detach garages on the Northeast DSM area, altoona area for less then 120,000. Nice trouble free area. that's where I purchased my first house.

RedRocketZ28
01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
We used this lady...

http://mlaughlin.iowarealty.com/

She is crazy, down to earth, and gets things done. She also hooked us up with our financing guy who made the process extremely painless and we got a great rate a year ago. Obviously they are even better now.

Our house on the North side of DSM off 2nd Avenue. Nice neighborhood for the most part.

Sunny Z
01-04-2013, 04:11 PM
Nice. Yeah, I work in Carlisle, so I'd like to stay within a 20ish minute drive from there. 2+ Car garage is all but manditory.

garyLT1
01-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Nice. Yeah, I work in Carlisle, so I'd like to stay within a 20ish minute drive from there. 2+ Car garage is all but manditory.

Ya your best bet is to just keep checking the reality sites for you best match house.

sparkles
01-04-2013, 06:47 PM
If you're the buyer, it doesn't really matter who your realtor is.

SledgeWS6
01-04-2013, 07:50 PM
If you're the buyer, it doesn't really matter who your realtor is.

THIS. Offer in at 85% asking. Buyer's market for sure.

WhiteHemi345
01-13-2013, 06:29 PM

check your lease and see if it says anything about not being able to work on your vehicle in one. If it doesnt say anything tell them to suck it then go change your oil.

AutoMods
01-14-2013, 08:55 AM
I had a lease that said something like the car couldn't be worked on or on jack stands for over a day. That was in the parking lot though. in a garage you should be able to do what you want

Sunny Z
01-14-2013, 08:57 AM
Yeah, I'm not really that worried about it.

I'm going to be focusing my efforts on finding a new place to live (house).