PDA

View Full Version : Des Moines People In Here

SledgeWS6
12-28-2012, 10:55 AM
Something is messed up with my shifter cables and I only have 3-4 now (thus my left right cable is not engaging properly). I need to take my beastly Cobalt somewhere/to someone who can do this because I really don't feel like tackling it....and I'll probably screw it up more without a garage at the moment. Any suggestions where I won't get completely bent over?

Sunny Z
12-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Firestone on Mills Civic in WDSM is great!!!!

... Said No one EVER

SledgeWS6
12-28-2012, 01:53 PM

... Said No one EVER

I'll be sure to avoid them. I don't know d!ck about transmission repair and I'm not going to pretend to. I'm going to remove the center consul to check out the linkages in about an hour and if it isn't as simple as that (apparently they like to break when it is cold out side [#FailGM], I'll have to take it somewhere. Attempting to limp her back to Downtown from W DSM now with only 3-4. :)

Newgen
12-28-2012, 02:52 PM

... Said No one EVER

Its possible the transmission may fall out from underneath the car after their done.

Sunny Z
12-28-2012, 02:53 PM
Shouldn't be banging gears so hard, shit wouldn't break.

BGjohnson
12-28-2012, 02:56 PM
Friend of mine owns Ameriservice off of 14th. He's $66.00 an hour, his name is Brian. Tell him Chris sent you.

sparkles
12-28-2012, 03:16 PM
^This

Also, WAY back in the day, I had the same problem with my Focus. The base that the shifter bolted into was crappy plastic and was just broken. Easy fix.

SledgeWS6
12-30-2012, 06:46 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be giving them a call in the next few days. This whole event however did get me off my ass to finally replace the relay for my Cavalier's fan. I'll probably just drive that for a while. Only cost another $17.00 to get that 'ol girl insured again.

sparkles
12-30-2012, 08:10 PM

This is what I was talking about. You get a little overzelous racing Civics, and you'll break it or pop the cable linkage out of place. Easy fix.

SledgeWS6
12-31-2012, 06:25 AM

This is what I was talking about. You get a little overzelous racing Civics, and you'll break it or pop the cable linkage out of place. Easy fix.

I wish I could have said I was dooring a Civic when it happened, but I was basically rolling down hill, I grandpa drive so much anymore. I checked that out yesterday night, but everything is properly connected and in place. The problem in the left cable just doesn't have any pressure in it. Hopefully its just a cable that wiggled loose getting wet since the car is so damn low and was basically a plow for a few days there. Worst case I'm thinking a roll pin, but that's a PITA to get to for being a $.70 part. I'll just be giving Ameriservice a call today. I really don't have the time/facilities to mess with this.

bizzle
12-31-2012, 06:52 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I'll be giving them a call in the next few days. This whole event however did get me off my ass to finally replace the relay for my Cavalier's fan. I'll probably just drive that for a while. Only cost another $17.00 to get that 'ol girl insured again.

psh.. its winter you dont need a fan lol

SledgeWS6
01-07-2013, 06:59 AM
Update: Met up with Brian Saturday, heck of a nice guy and very knowledgeable. Ended up being what we both suspected: The a dreaded transmission-end roll-pin. One of those deals where it is very helpful having a a lift especially with this low-ass car, very painful any other way.

sparkles
01-07-2013, 04:20 PM
Just make sure he doesn't get behind you. Once he grabs on, it's hard to shake him off.

BGjohnson
01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
Update: Met up with Brian Saturday, heck of a nice guy and very knowledgeable. Ended up being what we both suspected: The a dreaded transmission-end roll-pin. One of those deals where it is very helpful having a a lift especially with this low-ass car, very painful any other way.

Glad you got to take it to him, he's a great guy and the only other guy I will let touch my cars.