PDA

View Full Version : using e85 to bump up the octane on 91 octane gas

AutoMods
12-15-2012, 11:47 PM
As I was pumping 91 octane , non ethanol gas blend, into my suby today. I was wondering what would happen if I mixed in 1 gallon of e85 for every 10 gallons of 91 octane. I was thinking , wouldn't that be awesome if it turned into 95 octane and still had a minimum amount of ethanol in it so a car's factory computer could still safely add enough fuel (closed loop fuel trimming) to prevent it from going lean. say 10-12% ethanol overall.

well when i got back home i found this nice calculator http://www.intercepteft.com/calc.html

turns out 10 gallons of 91 octane 0% ethanol mixed with 1.5 gallons of e85 (true 85%) will net you 92.8 octane and be at a very manageable 11% overall ethanol blend.

Is there any 93 non ethanol blends around here???? If so, you could do the same thing and end up at 94.6 octane

FiFdYnUtZ
12-16-2012, 08:27 AM
And you would find this beneficial how? Its getting extremely difficult to find 93 without ethanol in it these days

AutoMods
12-16-2012, 09:45 AM
And you would find this beneficial how? Its getting extremely difficult to find 93 without ethanol in it these days

mixing 91 and e85 would benefit anyone who doesn't have a 93 octane station nearby.

BGjohnson
12-16-2012, 09:57 AM
I have done this with my older turbo cars for years. Mostly turbo Ford 2.3's with top mount intercoolers, they run really fat from the factory. I put 2 or 3 gallons of e-85 in when I fill up with 12 gallons of 91. 91 actually has like 6-7% ethanol in it already.

But My cars loved it, really noticeable difference. Newer cars, I'm not too sure how on the edge the factory tunes are for air/fuel ratio.

AutoMods
12-16-2012, 10:02 AM
I have done this with my older turbo cars for years. Mostly turbo Ford 2.3's with top mount intercoolers, they run really fat from the factory. I put 2 or 3 gallons of e-85 in when I fill up with 12 gallons of 91. 91 actually has like 6-7% ethanol in it already.

But My cars loved it, really noticeable difference. Newer cars, I'm not too sure how on the edge the factory tunes are for air/fuel ratio.

yea leaning a car out with a mix of e85 is an interesting option for someone without tuning software.

are you saying the 91 octane without the ethanol sticker below it, still has ethanol mixed in????

BGjohnson
12-16-2012, 10:05 AM
By law "supposedly" they don't have to report anything under 9-10%. I'm pretty pissed they started phasing out 93 in central Iowa a few years ago and even more pissed that all fuels now contain ethanol.

AutoMods
12-16-2012, 11:34 AM
this site shows Iowa has to label anything > 1% ethanol http://www.fuel-testers.com/state_guide_ethanol_laws.html

this site says Iowa labels with any amount of ethanol http://www.sema.org/sema-enews/2012/25/legislation-to-limit-ethanol-labeling-requirements-officially-dead-in-iowa

sparkles
12-16-2012, 12:03 PM
I'm with Fifdy on this one. Who freakin cares. If your driving around something that needs the extra octane, enough to where getting fuel is an issue, why aren't you just running E85 or race gas to begin with? Call me crazy, but I've got more important things to do than to have to use 2 pumps and pay for gas twice everytime I fill up my car. Nothing more than a poor man's fix to a solution looking for a problem. Especially with the ever changing fuel blends and inconsistency of our fuel lately.

BGjohnson
12-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Pretty much, It sure was my poor mans solution to a top mount intercooler.

AutoMods
12-17-2012, 05:12 PM
I'm with Fifdy on this one. Who freakin cares. If your driving around something that needs the extra octane, enough to where getting fuel is an issue, why aren't you just running E85 or race gas to begin with? Call me crazy, but I've got more important things to do than to have to use 2 pumps and pay for gas twice everytime I fill up my car. Nothing more than a poor man's fix to a solution looking for a problem. Especially with the ever changing fuel blends and inconsistency of our fuel lately.

its not really that big of a deal. Sometimes I would drive 20 minutes out my way, to get 93 octane in Cedar Rapids instead of 91 in North Liberty and fill up my Talon. It was mostly just driven on the weekends so a full tank would last a while. I'd rather just mix 91 with a 2 gallons of e85 right in North Liberty now if I still had that setup. But my rx7 is on straight e85 now anyway.

what did you do to convert your 3rd gen to e85 ?

sparkles
12-17-2012, 09:03 PM
Injectors (Thanks Ryan!), pump, and a tune.

AutoMods
12-17-2012, 10:28 PM
Injectors (Thanks Ryan!), pump, and a tune.

more info on the tune portion please. how is that old tpi setup controlled . pcm flash, chip? standalone? at the dyno or can you purchase some personal tuning software ?

FiFdYnUtZ
12-18-2012, 07:57 AM
Sparkles, exactly how much air pressure do you generally run? (Track and street), front vs rear? Do you run nitrogen or just regular air? Where do you get it? Do you have an air compressor? Whats your dogs name? Is chrome a color?

derek072887
12-18-2012, 08:22 AM
Sparkles, exactly how much air pressure do you generally run? (Track and street), front vs rear? Do you run nitrogen or just regular air? Where do you get it? Do you have an air compressor? Whats your dogs name? Is chrome a color?

and we wonder why the younger generation is so fu*kin dumb when it comes to cars... when anyone asks a question to try to gain a little knowledge on a subject some douche responds with ^^ shit and discourages them from actually learning from a reputable person instead of car domain or some other ricer site

SledgeWS6
12-18-2012, 08:31 AM
Interesting find Ryan. The question remains though, as I'm not a biochemist, fuel mixing properties? Is it safe for me, with a non-tuned stock-ish Cobalt, to run this with risk it might get a big sip of say E70? I guess I don't know the densities well enough to know if they'll mix and stay mixed.

AutoMods
12-18-2012, 08:52 AM

this is a car forum. your an idiot if you think i'm trying to steal tuning secrets from a tpi motor ? you've been posting a lot of dumb shit lately. what kinda chemicals have you been cleaning your guns with?

AutoMods
12-18-2012, 08:59 AM
Interesting find Ryan. The question remains though, as I'm not a biochemist, fuel mixing properties? Is it safe for me, with a non-tuned stock-ish Cobalt, to run this with risk it might get a big sip of say E70? I guess I don't know the densities well enough to know if they'll mix and stay mixed.

yes i would assume they stay mixed well because every gas station already does it. e10 , e70 and e85 are already mixed with normal pump gas, you would just be changing the mixture %. your fuel pump and return line running at idle should stir the initial mixture up quickly

FiFdYnUtZ
12-18-2012, 09:18 AM
Ahh the Ryan and Derek duo at it again! Two peas in a pod..I was just trying to gain some knowledge about air pressure dude...it may not be a big thing but knowledge is power BRO...and I clean my guns with non chlorinated brake cleaner and synthetic motor oil...cheap and works better than name brand products

SledgeWS6
12-18-2012, 09:23 AM
yes i would assume they stay mixed well because every gas station already does it. e10 , e70 and e85 are already mixed with normal pump gas, you would just be changing the mixture %. your fuel pump and return line running at idle should stir the initial mixture up quickly

Sound good, I'll probably attempt a 1.25:9:5 mix. With current prices in DSM the math comes out to only being $.05/gal more than running 89 for a 92.6 mix. Luckily the pumps around here serve all blends out of the same pump...at least over on 14th they do.

AutoMods
12-18-2012, 10:04 AM
Sound good, I'll probably attempt a 1.25:9:5 mix. With current prices in DSM the math comes out to only being $.05/gal more than running 89 for a 92.6 mix. Luckily the pumps around here serve all blends out of the same pump...at least over on 14th they do.

damn, i'm glad someone found my post helpful. i was starting to get depressed.

slowride told me not to break in my new motor with e85 so I drained my rx7 tank and yesterday put 1.5 gallons into my subaru that had nearly a full tank of 91 non-ethanol. worked great and runs fine.

SledgeWS6
12-18-2012, 10:55 AM
damn, i'm glad someone found my post helpful. i was starting to get depressed.

slowride told me not to break in my new motor with e85 so I drained my rx7 tank and yesterday put 1.5 gallons into my subaru that had nearly a full tank of 91 non-ethanol. worked great and runs fine.

Guys on the Cobalt websites were running E15 with no real issues on a stock tune. When I run the 89 10% blend I still see mid-30s for mpgs so I'm not too worried about running it.

AutoMods
12-18-2012, 11:25 AM
Guys on the Cobalt websites were running E15 with no real issues on a stock tune. When I run the 89 10% blend I still see mid-30s for mpgs so I'm not too worried about running it.

you have a supercharged or turbo cobalt ?

SledgeWS6
12-18-2012, 01:10 PM
you have a supercharged or turbo cobalt ?

Supercharged, didn't really feel like taking out a loan to buy a turbo-car at the time.

sparkles
12-18-2012, 01:30 PM
more info on the tune portion please. how is that old tpi setup controlled . pcm flash, chip? standalone? at the dyno or can you purchase some personal tuning software ?
1. It was done with fancy computers. Way too complicated for me.
2. Hamsters
3. I don't speak Japanese
4. Dynosports in Lincoln, NE
5. Yes, I have my own software

1. Truck:65psi. Car: I give it the kick method
2. BOTH!
3. There's a difference?
4. There you guys go again with that fancy Japanese talk
5. Hamsters
6. Coleman Menards special
7. Jack
8. It's more of a lifestyle from what I hear.

FiFdYnUtZ
12-18-2012, 02:19 PM
Come on man, your the reason the younger generation is stupid!

derek072887
12-18-2012, 02:24 PM
Come on man, your the reason the younger generation is stupid!

I still say YOU'RE the reason....
If you're going to try to make fun of someone you should really check your grammar before responding.

sparkles
12-18-2012, 03:12 PM
I still say YOU'RE the reason....
If you're going to try to make fun of someone you should really check your grammar before responding.

Uhhh....

and we wonder why the younger generation is so fu*kin dumb when it comes to cars... when anyone asks a question to try to gain a little knowledge on a subject some douche responds with ^^ shit and discourages them from actually learning from a reputable person instead of car domain or some other ricer site
Do you really want to start the grammar nazi war?

derek072887
12-18-2012, 03:38 PM
Uhhh....

Do you really want to start the grammar nazi war?

no i don't but if he want's to be a smart ass and try to use what I have already stated against me then I think he should take a little time in responding.

p.s. when did you start nut swinging fiddy? Didn't you and him get into it at some point about you backing out of some race or something?

SledgeWS6
12-18-2012, 03:49 PM
No i don't, but if he wants to be a smart ass and try to use what I have already stated against me, then I think he should take a little time in responding. (I would like to note this whole damn thing is a run-on sentence)

P.S. (As this is an abbreviation in the formal, it needs to be treated as such) when did you start nut swinging Fiddy? Didn't you guys get into it at some point about you backing out of some race or something?

'twas going to list all corrections out, but I decided it would be easier to merely highlight my corrections in red. :D

derek072887
12-18-2012, 03:56 PM
'twas going to list all corrections out, but I decided it would be easier to merely highlight my corrections in red. :D

LMAO thank you sir for the corrections

sparkles
12-18-2012, 03:59 PM
I'm a fanboi, what can I say.

Drifte
12-19-2012, 07:26 AM
My understanding was Caseys is the only 91 non ethanol blend available around here (that I know of). I dont know for sure if the 93 available at road ranger contains ethanol.

AutoMods
12-19-2012, 08:58 AM
http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2008/06/27/800x_b1_cCM_z/Gas-stations-give-drivers-options-of-ethanol-blends-2.jpg

tylers88
12-19-2012, 06:08 PM
sucks, everything around here besides 87 is all E10

AutoMods
12-19-2012, 11:57 PM
My understanding was Caseys is the only 91 non ethanol blend available around here (that I know of). I dont know for sure if the 93 available at road ranger contains ethanol.

road ranger 93 does have the ethanol sticker iirc. north liberty true value has a 92.5 oct pump and that also has ethanol

sucks, everything around here besides 87 is all E10

I see non-ethanol 91 all the time. unless i'm reading the stickers wrong or the gas station owners put the stickers on wrong. the only gas i've ever tested myself are versions of e85. i should test some of these 91's to see if they are ethanol free

Here is a picture from today from corridor convenience in North liberty. only the middle selection 89 oct has the ethanol sticker.

http://importevolution.com/temp/gas.jpg

tylers88
12-20-2012, 03:00 PM
I see non-ethanol 91 all the time. unless i'm reading the stickers wrong or the gas station owners put the stickers on wrong.

Im guessing you arn't reading them wrong I just live in BFE northcentral Iowa, closest place I can get nonE10 91 is Mason City or Ft Dodge, I am almost exactly in between them on highway 3. Accually Mason City is the only place in about an hour drive that I can get 93.