PDA

View Full Version : 460 Big Block help.

CiviC_boY
12-12-2012, 07:49 AM
A buddy of mine is looking to make some decent power out of his ford 460.
Right now its mostly stock but had the 429 cobra heads and a demon 850 carb and some sort of cam.
Will those heads flow for much power he was thinking of doing a roller rocker set up.

Lmk ppl input or places to get good deals on parts he's not looking to spend a lot of money.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-12-2012, 10:47 AM
Those heads flow plenty... I had D0VE heads on mine, gasket matched to SCJ gaskets and SCJ sized valves, shaved .040 to get around 10.5:1. Stock rotating assembly, lunati 61604 cam kit, single plane hi-rise SVO intake, Holley 850DP, long tubes (2" primaries, 3.5" collectors), Davis Unified HEI, etc... guy in d-port bout it, threw a t-56 behind it in a Torino and made around 430 at the wheels and well over 500tq.

460Ford.com is all you need...

sLoWnStEaDy
12-12-2012, 10:56 AM
Correction.... still had the C6 behind it when he got dyno'd, "Monster" 3200 stall t.c. and I don't remember the valve body. Got it off 460ford used for cheap.

CiviC_boY
12-12-2012, 11:50 AM
I joined 460ford but it won't let me do anything but veiw the website.. I would like to get around 500-600 on spray just new to the v8 world.

derek072887
12-12-2012, 11:51 AM
I joined 460ford but it won't let me do anything but veiw the website.. I would like to get around 500-600 on spray just new to the v8 world.
you or "your buddy"? secret build in the making? lol

CiviC_boY
12-12-2012, 12:47 PM
you or "your buddy"? secret build in the making? lol

I joined cause I was told by a lot of ppl that it would be the place to go for info... and its for a buddy. :)

Domestic Disturbance
12-12-2012, 05:02 PM
Spend a few g's on a rotating assembly, preferrably billet, get the compression around 9.5:1, then a cog driven f1 procharger. I think you get to 600rwhp :boobies:

CiviC_boY
12-12-2012, 05:44 PM
Spend a few g's on a rotating assembly, preferrably billet, get the compression around 9.5:1, then a cog driven f1 procharger. I think you get to 600rwhp :boobies:

Hes to poor

BGjohnson
12-12-2012, 07:03 PM
Those 460's are about the cheapest thing to make decent power with. Put decent springs in the heads, garage port job, oversized valves, mill the heads. 150 shot should be able to get him into the 11's or 10's depending.

CiviC_boY
12-12-2012, 07:25 PM
Those 460's are about the cheapest thing to make decent power with. Put decent springs in the heads, garage port job, oversized valves, mill the heads. 150 shot should be able to get him into the 11's or 10's depending.

Ok.. the big thing is will those heads flow to make decent power I've looked online but haven't found anything on the 429 heads on the 460.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-12-2012, 09:00 PM
I know a lot of people have little to know respect for me on here but I have built more than a few 385/FE wngines. those heads will do fine for your/his goal, something like 310/200 @ .550 IIRC... As for your goal, there are plenty of people throwing a 300 shot at bone stock 460's and meeting/beating your goals.

I had about $1000~ in the last 460 I built, lots of good deals on 460ford. guessing a 20% drivetrain loss (at least being behind a C6) it had to be making around 550~ N/A.

Domestic Disturbance
12-12-2012, 11:21 PM
out of curiosity what is this engine in?

AutoMods
12-12-2012, 11:46 PM

if the information is not given, it is rude to ask. common grudge code of honor

CiviC_boY
12-13-2012, 06:32 AM

How RUDE.. Dont you think that is a little personal?

CiviC_boY
12-13-2012, 06:34 AM
I know a lot of people have little to know respect for me on here but I have built more than a few 385/FE wngines. those heads will do fine for your/his goal, something like 310/200 @ .550 IIRC... As for your goal, there are plenty of people throwing a 300 shot at bone stock 460's and meeting/beating your goals.

I had about $1000~ in the last 460 I built, lots of good deals on 460ford. guessing a 20% drivetrain loss (at least being behind a C6) it had to be making around 550~ N/A.

He would like to see over 600hp on spray but idk i was told the rods and piston need to be up graded around 400hp. This car aswell has a c6 trans

85XR7Project
12-13-2012, 06:38 AM
I have built more than a few 385/FE engines.

The 385 family has nothing to do with the FE/FT family but I am sure you already knew that.

Just had to swing my "Useless knowledge I don't need" bat around. You know, the shit I most likely picked up off the internet.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-13-2012, 11:07 AM
Well, I wouldn't say NOTHING because they are both ford engines and both big blocks. ;-) but yes, I'm very aware they are completely different monsters. I've built a couple 390's but probably close to a dozen 385 series.

Back to the original question... like anything, it's all in the tune. I shit you not there are people running 300+ on stock rotating assemblies and have for years. 460Ford has everything you could ever need to know, no need to post on there, just search and read, it's been covered a hundred times...

AutoMods
12-13-2012, 11:23 AM
do these big block fords have more potential for big power than the mighty chevy ls motor ?

snickerlicker
12-13-2012, 12:26 PM
do these big block fords have more potential for big power than the mighty chevy ls motor ?

Only God knows...

Scott
12-13-2012, 12:30 PM

Pretty much ANY big block dating back to the 1960's has far more potential. To get more brand specific conventional headed BBF's have way more potential than conventional headed BBC engines.

Just ask Slowandsteady he has built at least 100 BBF engines spraying 500+ shot of nitrous on pump gas

AutoMods
12-13-2012, 03:32 PM
i don't know anything about big blocks but after watching this video, they seem to dominate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2eJWSxNzMD4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=2eJWSxNzMD4

lots of chevy in there though

snickerlicker
12-13-2012, 03:44 PM
Oh man here we go again with the street car debate...

sLoWnStEaDy
12-13-2012, 05:32 PM
Just ask Slowandsteady he has built at least 100 BBF engines spraying 500+ shot of nitrous on pump gas

Yeah... that's pretty much exactly what I said. How's your wife?

Domestic Disturbance
12-13-2012, 05:47 PM
IB4TL :banana:

Try to stay on topic you clowns

CiviC_boY
12-13-2012, 06:33 PM
i guess ill try and figure it out.. thought there was someone one here that could help... and not doubting you slownsteady just trying to figure out if the heads and the whole rotating assembly will hold like 600hp maybe more

sLoWnStEaDy
12-13-2012, 06:51 PM
If you end up posting on 460ford, they are going to destroy you, be very specific over there if you post. You went from 500-600 to 600 or more. I understand not putting faith in one person's statements especially with the clowns on here acting like they do. I haven't been posting much because I am trying to only respond to topics I am pretty familiar and have first hand experience, this is one of them. I am, BY NO MEANS AN EXPERT but I stand behind what I've said and others (who know 385s) will reaffirm my statements.

Good luck with your/his build. If you decide to do a cookie cutter build and throw an LSx in there, I'm sure you'll get plenty of help. We all know that is the only engine on earth worth touching.

AutoMods
12-13-2012, 08:43 PM
Oh man here we go again with the street car debate...

i never mentioned streetability.... i'm genuinely interested in how much power these big blocks can make and for what kind of money. kinda sucks if 400hp is all the stock rods and pistons can handle

slow ride
12-14-2012, 06:47 AM
Any big block stuff has the potential to crush ls/mod/sbf/sbc stuff. Just depends what vintage it was. I mean if it was a 200-300 hp big block with 450 ft lbs of torque from the smog days it's not like they were going to build it to the max for that kind of power. I would guess performance will depend greatly on vintage, etc.

Scott
12-14-2012, 07:54 AM
Yeah... that's pretty much exactly what I said. How's your wife?

Hows my wife?!? I have no clue where your trying to go with this. I just find it funny when you cant finish a project but you've built a dozen BBF's?

Anyway I would recomend pulling the engine out of that car to at minimum do a re-ring and new bearings if you have enough $$ left over keep stock crank and put some eagle rods in there and use ARP hardware along with a cam. Next step IMO would be A460 heads, solid roller cam, pistons, intake.

BBF has alot of potential just depends on how much you want to spend, the fastest 275 tire nitrous car is running a BBF with A460 heads and can make well over 1000hp NA with a single carb on a cast intake.

Need to figure out what your budget is and how fast you want to go before anything.

CiviC_boY
12-14-2012, 09:04 AM
Hows my wife?!? I have no clue where your trying to go with this. I just find it funny when you cant finish a project but you've built a dozen BBF's?

Anyway I would recomend pulling the engine out of that car to at minimum do a re-ring and new bearings if you have enough $$ left over keep stock crank and put some eagle rods in there and use ARP hardware along with a cam. Next step IMO would be A460 heads, solid roller cam, pistons, intake.

BBF has alot of potential just depends on how much you want to spend, the fastest 275 tire nitrous car is running a BBF with A460 heads and can make well over 1000hp NA with a single carb on a cast intake.

Need to figure out what your budget is and how fast you want to go before anything.

The motor has been gone though.. it has all new oem parts with around 8k on the motor that's why I was asking I've been thinking of some h beam rods and some pistons with a roller rocker set but the heads is what gets me those fuckers are kinda pricey.lol that's why I would like to use those heads

derek072887
12-14-2012, 09:10 AM
The motor has been gone though.. it has all new oem parts with around 8k on the motor that's why I was asking I've been thinking of some h beam rods and some pistons with a roller rocker set but the heads is what gets me those fuckers are kinda pricey.lol that's why I would like to use those heads

I or he?

CiviC_boY
12-14-2012, 10:06 AM
I or he?

I ok.. I bought a 460. Happy now derek.

AutoMods
12-14-2012, 10:19 AM
I ok.. I bought a 460. Happy now derek.

now tell us what car its going in ?

Domestic Disturbance
12-14-2012, 04:28 PM
Well aren't 429's more performance oriented while 460s were a truck engine? I would imagine a stock 460 head would be a lot more emissions friendly. Any luck finding flow numbers on either head?

CiviC_boY
12-14-2012, 06:41 PM
now tell us what car its going in ?

you proly wont belive me but.. :)
http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll82/jameshoryna/thumb_zpsb3616dbc.png

CiviC_boY
12-14-2012, 06:42 PM
Well aren't 429's more performance oriented while 460s were a truck engine? I would imagine a stock 460 head would be a lot more emissions friendly. Any luck finding flow numbers on either head?

Havent done any looking at all.

Domestic Disturbance
12-14-2012, 07:05 PM
anyone else bothered by the radiator not being centered on that integra?

85XR7Project
12-15-2012, 08:34 AM
Its only a truck engine if it is a 385T series which has a thicker block and reinforcements. you can make power out of a 460 just like you can a 429.

sLoWnStEaDy
12-15-2012, 11:53 AM
Don't waste your time, Brett... They clearly have no real interest in this at all as I have answered the questions and they're acting as if my posts aren't even there. Bunch of fucking clowns on here these days

BGjohnson
12-15-2012, 12:09 PM
Before you go wasting anybodies more time BOY. What is the goal with the car? ET's? hp goal is usually a goal of somebody who will never use it or has no clue what 600 hp feels like.

I see it all the time on the turbo forums.

End of story you will need rods and pistons to hit a 600hp goal reliable. With those heads, you will hit that number with spray.

CiviC_boY
12-15-2012, 03:52 PM
Before you go wasting anybodies more time BOY. What is the goal with the car? ET's? hp goal is usually a goal of somebody who will never use it or has no clue what 600 hp feels like.

I see it all the time on the turbo forums.

End of story you will need rods and pistons to hit a 600hp goal reliable. With those heads, you will hit that number with spray.

That all i wanted to know is is those heads will flow the power im looking for.

85XR7Project
12-15-2012, 09:22 PM
Don't waste your time, Brett... They clearly have no real interest in this at all as I have answered the questions and they're acting as if my posts aren't even there. Bunch of fucking clowns on here these days

Now you know why i dont post up anything other than comments here and there. no build thread. nothing. ill stick to my gun forums and not give a shit what anyone thinks of what i do or what i know.

daves72dart
12-15-2012, 09:38 PM
those heads will make good power. pm me if you are looking for some parts. i have alot of 460 parts

CiviC_boY
12-16-2012, 08:04 AM
Now you know why i dont post up anything other than comments here and there. no build thread. nothing. ill stick to my gun forums and not give a shit what anyone thinks of what i do or what i know.

I was looking for more than just one opinion.. I'm not doubting anyone but it just seems if you search things online one guy had a bone stock 460 with a 500 shot and made 1000hp but then the next guy with a fully built motor and made 600hp. I already know the rods and pistons are no good after 450hp and past 6500rpm so that's why i asked abt the heads.

FiFdYnUtZ
12-16-2012, 08:29 AM

Then you two should probably find somewhere else to throw your pity party...I'm pretty sure none of us clowns give a shit

sLoWnStEaDy
12-16-2012, 09:15 AM
How many people in this thread have ACTUALLY built a 385? exactly, STFU and GTFO... he didn't ask about an lsx so I'd say about 98% of this forum has absolutely zero technical, first hand knowledge/advice. One of the biggest issues with this site is a few carcasses that always ruin threads with their personal vendettas. Like me or not, I have built a lot of 385s and have enough knowledge to actually answer some questions. By all means though, all you lsx thuggery jump right on in with your absolute zero knowledge and ruin yet another thread.

And o.p. there's a reason some people break at 400hp while other make more than that at the wheels for years with no issues.

Good Day

FiFdYnUtZ
12-16-2012, 10:20 AM
That post really doesn't need much of a rebuttle since the fact that you do a pretty good job of making yourself look like an idiot.

FiFdYnUtZ
12-16-2012, 10:21 AM
From what I can tell it must take a brain surgeon to build one of these wizards, your best bet is having Keith just do it, he has built DOZENS...

sparkles
12-16-2012, 12:06 PM
I put a timing chain in one once. Give me a call. I'll tell you what is up. After that, talk to Ryan. He'll give the hook up on the secret info for what fuel to mix.

CiviC_boY
12-16-2012, 01:30 PM
How many people in this thread have ACTUALLY built a 385? exactly, STFU and GTFO... he didn't ask about an lsx so I'd say about 98% of this forum has absolutely zero technical, first hand knowledge/advice. One of the biggest issues with this site is a few carcasses that always ruin threads with their personal vendettas. Like me or not, I have built a lot of 385s and have enough knowledge to actually answer some questions. By all means though, all you lsx thuggery jump right on in with your absolute zero knowledge and ruin yet another thread.

And o.p. there's a reason some people break at 400hp while other make more than that at the wheels for years with no issues.

Good Day

I appreciate your advice and im not doubting and yes i know its all how the car is set up and you've made your point that you have built a few 385s.. THANKS.. I've talked to a few other guys and the heads will flow great and if i want to make high power with that motor i need to throw some rods and pistons in it or ls1...

AutoMods
12-16-2012, 03:32 PM
no offense slownsteady, but some of the stuff you've said has not been 100% accurate in the past, so do you blame the guy for wanting a 2nd opinion ?

sLoWnStEaDy
12-16-2012, 05:33 PM
no offense slownsteady, but some of the stuff you've said has not been 100% accurate in the past, so do you blame the guy for wanting a 2nd opinion ?

No offense taken (and you CAN call me Keith...) I know how I am viewed on here and I have been trying to change that, which is why I tend to keep my mouth shut for the most part these days. I completely understand getting more than one opinion but at least acknowledging the fact I posted would have been swell. You know, other than people just being dicks toward me right off the bat.

I am pretty sure I even posted up a couple of my 385 builds on here?!?!?!? Only 3 builds were mine, the rest were for friends and I never post their stuff online. Believe it or not, there is actually a large group of people who value my opinion and I do a lot of work for them. Mostly nigz from Chicago but, their money is green just like anyoneelses.

I just know quite a few people from this site who don't post shit because the same handful of people just talk shit, no matter what. I thought we were all here because we love cars, not because we all want to run 10's with an LSx motor. there's more to a car than going as fast as you can in a straight line. Not knocking any of you racers, just sick of the close mindedness on this forum.

FiFdYnUtZ
12-16-2012, 09:06 PM
Not sure where you are gathering all of these theories about people on this forum, xr7 and yourself didn't get a bunch.of attention so all of a sudden you guys can't say anything without getting bombarded (in your opinion)...and I simply stated to take your pity party elsewhere...no mention of LS, nor drag racing...give up the victim dance, shit hasn't been crazy on here in a LONG time

sLoWnStEaDy
12-17-2012, 06:14 AM
Not sure where you are gathering all of these theories about people on this forum, xr7 and yourself didn't get a bunch.of attention so all of a sudden you guys can't say anything without getting bombarded (in your opinion)...and I simply stated to take your pity party elsewhere...no mention of LS, nor drag racing...give up the victim dance, shit hasn't been crazy on here in a LONG time

it's your story... tell it how you want :)