PDA

View Full Version : Painter Question

Sleepy
11-27-2012, 10:37 AM
So I am shopping around for a new daily. Found a car that I like. Down side is it has a paint bubble about 2.5 inchs by an inch tall on the drivers side rear quarter above the wheel well.

What would something like this cost to get fixed? Just looking for a general idea.

Thanks, Adam

FiFdYnUtZ
11-27-2012, 11:28 AM
Depends if it can be ground out and filled with fiberglass, or will need a patch...probably would range from $400-$1k...but I'm not all that versed with shop rates, I just do the work

Sleepy
11-27-2012, 11:39 AM
Thats kind of what I was figuring. Thanks for the reply.

Is it a pita to work on that area?

SaNdMaNsSi
11-27-2012, 03:41 PM
If done by a professional body shop, minimum 750. Cut out the cancer, weld in a patch (metal, not fiberglass), sand it down, prep the area, and depending on how big your quarter is will depend on paint cost. If you want it to look right you'll need to paint/clear the whole quarter, not just the area you fixed. Unless it's old, you don't care how it looks, or you just want it done cheap. If it were me, I'd use the damaged area to get a big reduction in purchase price, then just drive it. If you have cancer in that spot on one side, 95% of the time, you have it growing on the opposite side in the same place. Just 12 years of experience talking....

FiFdYnUtZ
11-27-2012, 03:52 PM
By fiberglass I meant fiberglass filler...it will buy you.a couple years, but certainly not the.correct way...those spots are super common for rust...probably not worth fixing unless the car is really nice

rrmccabe
11-29-2012, 01:16 PM
If you be nice I might do the metal work for you. You will have to have it painted because I don't want to spray in the garage. Your Mom might pitch a bitch !

It makes the pet raccoon sneeze.

Sleepy
11-29-2012, 04:25 PM
After looking at it in person it really is not to bad, there is no rust on the inside of the wheel well. However in time it will need to be delt with.

Just need to fix the drivers seat, the side bolster is torn wide open.

rrmccabe
11-29-2012, 04:28 PM
Well you need to get it stopped before it spreads.

I knew the bolster was bad. You should be able to get that fixed locally. With the exception of that the car looks really good.